What separates us (Homo Sapiens) from the animals?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Wooden shoe

Re: What separates us (Homo Sapiens) from the animals?

Post by Wooden shoe »

A couple of points.

Speech is not unique to humans, just think of whales and dolphins, their method of communication carries farther than human speech, it is suited to their needs.

Playing games is also done by animals, for instance I had a cat who developed a ball kicking and chasing game by himself.

I believe the unique feature of humans is to modify its environment, which is a good thing because we just don't have much else in our favor. Our hearing, sight taste feeling and voice are rather mediocre compared to animals, we are not the fastest, strongest most agile form of life, just the smartest,although even that is in question sometimes.

Just one more. Humans are the only species able to eliminate itself.

Regards, John.
We experience today through the lens of all our yesterdays
Sacrontine

Post by Sacrontine »

Wooden shoe wrote:I believe the unique feature of humans is to modify its environment, which is a good thing because we just don't have much else in our favor. Our hearing, sight taste feeling and voice are rather mediocre compared to animals, we are not the fastest, strongest most agile form of life, just the smartest,although even that is in question sometimes.
Man you should see a beaver at work I mean just give them a few weeks they turn acres of forest into swampland. Anyway if you are looking for exceptional skills there is actually plenty to choose from for example we are one of the best marathon runners in the animal kingdom we can throw stuff further than any other animal we got unmatched finger dexterity also we are very good at tasting rot or poison in food. Then of course you can get specific: we are hands down the best automobile drivers on earth and we can use knife and fork like it's nobodies business.

But really it is all pointless. Humans are already special just like every animal species is special after all that is what makes them a species.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Wooden Shoe said:

"Playing games is also done by animals, for instance I had a cat who developed a ball kicking and chasing game by himself.

I believe the unique feature of humans is to modify its environment, which is a good thing because we just don't have much else in our favor. Our hearing, sight taste feeling and voice are rather mediocre compared to animals, we are not the fastest, strongest most agile form of life, just the smartest,although even that is in question sometimes."

I'm very well aware of the playful nature of animals from watching Funniest Pets and People

It makes me wonder why human intelligence went up, but other capabilities declined?

PhilX
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: It makes me wonder why human intelligence went up, but other capabilities declined?
"The survival value of human intelligence has never been satisfactorily demonstrated"....Michael Crichton
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I believe the unique feature of humans is to modify its environment,
Although we share this talent with a number of other organisms, there's no doubt we have developed this capacity to an entirely new level, in evolutionary terms. So much so that the entire biological future of the planet will be ours to decide. This makes us unique, and we are also unique in that we can look beyond our planetary boundary and contemplate the possibility of living elsewhere in our galaxy.

Regards Leo
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Hi Leo,

You said:

"Philosophy Explorer wrote: I believe the unique feature of humans is to modify its environment,..."

It was John Wooden who wrote the statement which I'm in accord with.

PhilX
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Wooden shoe wrote:
I believe the unique feature of humans is to modify its environment, which is a good thing because we just don't have much else in our favor.

Just one more. Humans are the only species able to eliminate itself.

Regards, John.
We are clearly unique enough to do that but are we unique enough not to eliminate ourselves in the process. After all, we've been so successful at with other species.
Obvious Leo
Favorite Philosopher: Omar Khayyam

Post by Obvious Leo »

Jklint wrote:We are clearly unique enough to do that but are we unique enough not to eliminate ourselves in the process. After all, we've been so successful at with other species.
Give us time. We've only just begun.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Obvious Leo wrote:Although we share this talent with a number of other organisms, there's no doubt we have developed this capacity to an entirely new level, in evolutionary terms. So much so that the entire biological future of the planet will be ours to decide. This makes us unique, and we are also unique in that we can look beyond our planetary boundary and contemplate the possibility of living elsewhere in our galaxy.
True, but I think we can "hone in" some more concerning this issue. Why does homo sapiens alone have this capacity on an "entirely new level"? What you say is quite obvious, but the underlying faculty which enables all that is hardly as obvious (hence this thread).

It appears to me that the underlying faculty which we possess which no other species does, and which enables us to have this greatly enhanced ability to survive, is the ability of our awareness to reflect on itself or turn in on itself. This ability leads to all the other psychological qualities which we possess but which other animals do not --- reason, complex language, understanding, analysis, considering, pondering, wondering, self-dialogue. Without the ability of our awareness to "reflect on itself" all of these other attributes would be impossible.

Thought is basically talking to oneself, and this ability hinges on awareness being able to divide itself, which is what necessarily must happen when awareness reflects on itself. If an awareness has the ability to see itself this implies that it is no longer a singularity but must be composed of at least two parts, because a singular awarness by definition could not do this. There must be one part observing the other. A unified awareness entirely focused on the outside world (all other species) cannot reflect on itself, cannot observe itself, and therefore also cannot talk to itself about its world.
Fernike
New Trial Member

Post by Fernike »

Hi to all,

I didn't read all posts under this topic but just searched for "heidegger" and couldn't find any. So I'd like to share this with you and get your opinions on it:

I'm a very novice reader of Heidegger (and any philosophy at all) but as I understand Heidegger makes a very brilliant differentiation between "human" and "being":

Human (Homo sapiens) is some'thing' such as a cat, a horse or simply a hammer. It's something we use, such as we use a hammer.

Being of ourselves, on the other hand, is not a "thing" firstly. It's an "activity" instead. An activity that is there because of "the world". The world which includes homo sapiens, cats, horses, hammers, etc.

When I try to see myself as an activity instead of a separate thing, I find easier to separate "homo sapiens" from "myself"

What do you think?
Lacewing
Premium Member

Post by Lacewing »

Fernike wrote:Human (Homo sapiens) is some'thing' such as a cat, a horse or simply a hammer. It's something we use, such as we use a hammer.

Being of ourselves, on the other hand, is not a "thing" firstly. It's an "activity" instead. An activity that is there because of "the world". The world which includes homo sapiens, cats, horses, hammers, etc.
Hi Fernike. I'm not familiar with Heidegger, but the concept described above rings true for me. Some friends and I were just discussing the difference between the human body (vehicle/mechanism) and that which seems to animate and operate through it within this world (which provides all the conditions to make it possible in this particular way). Seeing our "being" (in this world) as "activities" simply operating through these "human things", helps (perhaps) to loosen our grip on the idea of some total package that we think we are.

My answer to the question "What separates us (Homo Sapiens) from the animals?":

We think we're uniquely important. :)
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Is it being able to decide from more than two choices? Our ability to think abstractly? The way our hands are structured to better handle tools? The ability to talk? Is it our ability to love?

What have you to say about all this (and more)?

PhilX
I think discernment of knowledge may be what separates humans from animals. but then animals discern their unique knowledge of their world. (when to go for the prey and when to abandon pursuit) This article says it is imagination and the ability to share and consider all human imagination.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... n_and.html
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Michaelpearson

Post by Michaelpearson »

Space separates us. And the strangely pronounced ability that we aquire in childhood of being conscious of ourselves being conscious of that which we conscious of. And, perhaps our marked awareness that the day will arrive when we die usually without knowing when that day might be. And human physiognomy is most distinct (as if something, whatever it might be, is coming into sharp focus, definition and resolution). And the range of mental illnesses suffered seems to be far more limited within the kingdom of the animals. But we (humans) are all part of the natural world- the natural order of things- although, with all our techno(logical) gizmos of virtual communication (and this, that and the other) it can be all too easy to forget that we humans are fundamentally and essentially natural beings.
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Nothing, most "humans" are animals.

Only a rare few can call ourselves other than, greater than, or "above" a simple animal.
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Wizard wrote:Nothing, most "humans" are animals.

Only a rare few can call ourselves other than, greater than, or "above" a simple animal.
Who discerns the animals from the humans who are "greater than?" Do you have any examples of "greater than" humans?
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Wizard

Post by Wizard »

Misty wrote:Who discerns the animals from the humans who are "greater than?"
We do.

Misty wrote:Do you have any examples of "greater than" humans?
The gods.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream