What is anger?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: What is anger?

Post by Socrateaze »

Wooart said, Like I said – anger is the bellows that stokes the fire in our belly – and motivates us to fight. Our constant fighting is what denies us peace. How do we stop fighting?
Is fighting not sometimes necessary?

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Socrateaze wrote:
Wooart said, Like I said – anger is the bellows that stokes the fire in our belly – and motivates us to fight. Our constant fighting is what denies us peace. How do we stop fighting?
Yes I believe fighting is necessary. I think we need to fight now for the equality of women. We have not seriously played this card yet. I think if we honor and respect women – truly – the world will change for the better. This is not an easy task. Women must play the largest role to bring about this change. It is mostly an intellectual shift, but it will have profound consequences. I think humans are stupid – all of us. Why would we want to hold half of our group down? Why would half of our group accept it? It is because we are dumb - cowards. Let’s try something new – and – see what happens.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Yes I believe fighting is necessary. I think we need to fight now for the equality of women. We have not seriously played this card yet. I think if we honor and respect women – truly – the world will change for the better. This is not an easy task. Women must play the largest role to bring about this change. It is mostly an intellectual shift, but it will have profound consequences. I think humans are stupid – all of us. Why would we want to hold half of our group down? Why would half of our group accept it? It is because we are dumb - cowards. Let’s try something new – and – see what happens.
That was not quite the fighting I was referring to, but anyways.

In your "women's rights" argument, I think anger might be useful, but as you say - it is a state of mind and it must be fixed on both sides.

Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Socrateaze wrote:
Woodart wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

In your "women's rights" argument, I think anger might be useful, but as you say - it is a state of mind and it must be fixed on both sides.
Oh yes - it must be fixed on both sides, but women must lead the way and teach men of its advantageousness.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Oh yes - it must be fixed on both sides, but women must lead the way and teach men of its advantageousness.
I have a better idea, how about we all just decide on no extremes?

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Fight for the equality of women? How? Are men and women equal with identical biological roles and social roles?
AKA badgerjelly
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Anger can lead us in quite a few different directions. It seems simple and yet can get a bit complex. Anger relates to most conflict/fighting and fighting deprives us of peace. How do we get peace on Earth? I don’t know. We have tried a lot of different things over the last 5000 years and nothing has worked. Let’s try something new.

I say let’s empower women. We have not really tried this yet. They bring something different to the table - a different way of looking at things. It seems to me the right thing to do, but also the most intelligent thing to do. We can keep going with men making most of the important decisions, but I don’t think it is going to end well. We need to share the power somewhat equally in order to try and balance the human equation. Balance is what we need, not dominance of one or the other. We are running out of options and time. Do you see a better way to go for world peace? Or do you just abstain from voting and wait to see what happens. Abstaining is the mark of a coward.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Woodart wrote:Anger can lead us in quite a few different directions. It seems simple and yet can get a bit complex. Anger relates to most conflict/fighting and fighting deprives us of peace. How do we get peace on Earth? I don’t know. We have tried a lot of different things over the last 5000 years and nothing has worked. Let’s try something new.

I say let’s empower women. We have not really tried this yet. They bring something different to the table - a different way of looking at things. It seems to me the right thing to do, but also the most intelligent thing to do. We can keep going with men making most of the important decisions, but I don’t think it is going to end well. We need to share the power somewhat equally in order to try and balance the human equation. Balance is what we need, not dominance of one or the other. We are running out of options and time. Do you see a better way to go for world peace? Or do you just abstain from voting and wait to see what happens. Abstaining is the mark of a coward.
I don't think this is a problem in the west (more the opposite in some situations.) In other nations there is an issue of women's rights. We also know that educating women brings down population growth. The first obvious step is to help other nations provide education to women.

-- Updated August 24th, 2017, 5:28 am to add the following --

"Steven Pinker on Taboos, Political Correctness, and Dissent":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0W9sSqeJnA
AKA badgerjelly
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:Anger can lead us in quite a few different directions. It seems simple and yet can get a bit complex. Anger relates to most conflict/fighting and fighting deprives us of peace. How do we get peace on Earth? I don’t know. We have tried a lot of different things over the last 5000 years and nothing has worked. Let’s try something new.

We are misguided in thinking women are as a rule more peaceful. I am a woman and am capable of just as much a men, if not more. How long do we think women will give us a world of peace, until the stereotype runs out?

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

That woman with the Italian sounding name is pretty good to listen to ... Paglia? Paligia? Wait ... Camille Paglia!

Not massively familiar with her work yet, but what I've skimmed over, and the segments of her talks on youtube I've listened too, seem to be very well thought out and reasonably far reaching.

Certainly an interesting character on the scene right now.
AKA badgerjelly
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Burning ghost wrote:
I don't think this is a problem in the west (more the opposite in some situations.) In other nations there is an issue of women's rights. We also know that educating women brings down population growth. The first obvious step is to help other nations provide education to women.
I think you are mistaken about the west & women. We have begun to appreciate women – but – to use an analogy – I think we are still in preschool. We have a long, long way to go. The rest of the world – women are barely on the radar. The whole world has to dance to this tune – we are leading in the west – but – the party has just begun.
Burning ghost wrote:
"Steven Pinker on Taboos, Political Correctness, and Dissent":
I agree with Pinker – we are not a blank slate – but we are malleable – I hope.

Camille Paglia is a potent force and opens up the dialog.
Socrateaze wrote:
We are misguided in thinking women are as a rule more peaceful. I am a woman and am capable of just as much a men, if not more. How long do we think women will give us a world of peace, until the stereotype runs out?
I agree women can be as ruthless as men. I don’t think women are better – they are different. I think we need the different perspective at all levels of decision making. We need to balance the human equation – not distort to one side or another. The balanced equation is something we have not tried – yet. It may not work and we are all doomed. If we don’t try something new – we know what the outcome will be. What do we have to lose? I think we need to stay positive and hopeful.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote: We are misguided in thinking women are as a rule more peaceful. I am a woman and am capable of just as much a men, if not more.
I agree with you 100%!
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Woodart -

Well, pinker says in that vid about people viewing things as being doom and gloom when the truth is things have never been better.

I think the west is still balancing out since the explosion of women's rights. It is easy to forget that never before in human history have women had the kind of freedom they have today (in the west at least.) I think in some degrees this has caused some real upheaval for the male population and destabilized parts of society and culture. We are still in the infancy stage and due to mass communications many other non-western traditions are seriously struggling to adapt to all these alien ideas they are being exposed to (and this is also a two-way exposure for many too in the opposite direction and for quite different reasons!)

There are more and more women involved in politics today, and at a high level. My biggest fear is giving women, or any other politically motivated group, a leg up they have not earned. Diversity for the sake of diversity is a troubling course of action to implement. By this I mean simply voting for or hiring person X because of their "group" is a very bad direct to be going in.

In the UK it is very funny to see the young woman who won bake-off being revered as a good example of diversity and Islam. She found it really strange. A very nice person and it is worth listening to her comments about how she felt. Many were saying she was given the win because she was Muslim and because the BBC wanted to show more diversity. She was just good at baking cakes and it is utterly bizarre to bring political or religious views into a baking competition! haha! Humans are quite weird sometimes, always looking for targets or deflections so they don't have to question themselves too much.

The trend mentioned above is something being expressed everywhere in all forms of media. There is a certain sense of hysteria and sensationalism that makes mundane events and statements into huge political debates for no good reason. This is the age of mountains out of molehills and molehills out of mountains. Today it seems like every has an opinion about everything before they've even bothered to actually understand it, dissect it, or question its validity.

I want to see more people having more say who are capable. I don't care if they are males, females or hermaphrodites, I just care that they are smart, concerned about people and the Earth, and want to spread ideas that open up understanding and better communications.

I am not really sure what you mean by "We have just begun to appreciate women"? The key ambiguity being the use of the term "appreciate". Do you mean in the sense of we've only just started to see women having political impact? Then, yes, I agree. Around a hundred years ago women couldn't even vote. Consider that over the span of human history and we're talking about a tiny splinter of human history. Think about how long it has taken western culture to adjust and the fighting that has gone on right up until today. Then compare this to other nations whose cultures where women are essentially at a lower political position than women in the west 100 years ago. The truth is we cannot think about it, we cannot imagine it, we are more than a hundred years away from them now and utterly ignorant to the experience of such a slow and steady progression.

Thankfully there has been SOME global exposure so alien as the western traditions may seem to other parts of the world they are not completely unexposed to them. Meaning it is not like we're travelling in a time machine to a point in history and trying to teach a lot new set of histories (well, in most cases!)

-- Updated August 24th, 2017, 12:49 pm to add the following --

I don't care if your capable of more than most men or women or porcupines. That is besides the point. I care that you are more capable than the next PERSON. That you are not blinded by a need to push gender to the forefront of any given argument and shout "You don't agree because I am a woman!" I want to be able to say to people that I like what they say or don't like what they say without being accused of "siding" with, or sympathetic toward, some imaginary boundary set up to create social distinctions and create political fractures.
AKA badgerjelly
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Synthesis, I'm glad someone sees this. I would go so far as to say that women are capable of more violence, since they are shrewder. The women on the forum will understand.

Woodart, I don't think we are doomed if we don't change - but we certainly will miss out on a lot. :wink:

Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

An interesting question comes to mind: Why did our ancestors deem such arrangement of gender dynamics wise or necessary?
Was is simply due to following the traditions of "hunter & gatherer" tribal culture? Why was is so similar on different continents? Many people hold the stereotype that women are wiser and more cunning than men but can be as equally vicious as men, if not more. Why would women then wait so long to achieve "equality" through feminist movement? Is it simply due to an opportunity arising from WWII? Education? Increase in the amount of human benevolence? Wise economics? It would be worth while to understand...

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream