The “Actor”

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Burning ghost

Re: The “Actor”

Post by Burning ghost » September 26th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Eduk wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 3:21 am
I don't see a difference?
You don’t see the difference. I do, and I am asking anyone else if they can and what it is they see as different. Take any example you can conjure up from weddings, birthdays, opera, theatre, movies, etc.,. I think we can both at least agree that takkng part in a wedding is not the same as singing in a opera - not that I am denying any possible similarities (of which I could fashion a few easily enough.)

Greta mentions “ritual” yet the term is pointless if we’re using it both narrowly and broadly (in an everyday sense and a more religious context.)
AKA badgerjelly

Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk » September 26th, 2018, 12:17 pm

Well one is singing and the other is mostly standing about waiting, but I assumed the obvious differences weren't what you were talking about? I was hoping you could give a specific difference, anyway I'm not trying to be difficult I just genuinely don't understand what you are trying to convey.
Unknown means unknown.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » September 26th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Eduk wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 12:17 pm
Well one is singing and the other is mostly standing about waiting, but I assumed the obvious differences weren't what you were talking about? I was hoping you could give a specific difference, anyway I'm not trying to be difficult I just genuinely don't understand what you are trying to convey.
You will eventually I think. If no one takes this up I’ll just move on and hopefully you’ll get an understanding of what is puzzling me in another thread.
AKA badgerjelly

Greta
Site Admin

Post by Greta » September 26th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Burning ghost wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 4:00 am
Greta wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 3:55 am
What each has in common is a ritual where there is a function a person is expected to fulfil. It could be anyone - an amorphous form to fit the function.
Has is acting in a play a “ritual”? What do you mean by “ritual” when you use this term?
ritual, noun
1. a set of actions or words performed in a regular way, often [ie. not necessarily] as part of a religious ceremony

2. A ritual is also any act done regularly, usually without thinking about it
There are pre-determined roles in society. They need bodies body to fill them. Acting out these roles is a sublimation of self expression for the sake of gaining approval or avoiding disapproval.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » September 26th, 2018, 5:59 pm

Burning ghost wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:11 am
What are the differences between the theatrical actor and the actor of ceremonies?

As one example during a wedding ceremony people are acting out a certain set of acts, yet they are not actual theatrical actors. What makes the ceremony more “real” than a performance?

Ite to consider are award ceremonies, Christmas celebrations and traditions, attending a theatrical performance, the audience actor dynamic.
Scripted rather than improv.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » September 26th, 2018, 9:59 pm

TH -

That’s interesting! Which is which to your eyes?
AKA badgerjelly

Number2018

Post by Number2018 » October 9th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Burning ghost wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 2:11 am
What are the differences between the theatrical actor and the actor of ceremonies?

As one example during a wedding ceremony people are acting out a certain set of acts, yet they are not actual theatrical actors. What makes the ceremony more “real” than a performance?
I think that the difference in the degree of consciousness of the performing actor.
The theatrical actor has a clear intention to act, to play a role, according to her director’s instructions, theatrical traditions, and a set of acquired and learned skills. During the wedding ceremony, people are acting due to implicit social obligations and imperatives. Any social act is performativity - teaching students, curing patients etc.