An eye for an eye

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Valentine-turjery

Re: An eye for an eye

Post by Valentine-turjery »

This is how I approach the poem and why I interpret it in the way I do. Can we leave it at that?
We can; except to say, firstly, that you didn't tackle my challenge at all, and secondly to observe that you denied my interpretation by giving your own whimsical interpretation of an already whimsical text. That is, you say of my position "it doesn't say that in the poem", and then, to prove it, you say things that aren't in the poem.

Now, for me this isn't a problem. My central point is that the 'poem' is vague and useless. But it will assist you in future debate if you recognise the double standard of allowing to yourself interpretive caprice, but denying a sensible or literal use of it to others. If it wasn't for your reluctance to continue (and I can't blame you), your lit crit is easily discredited. The more you widen the context the more ammunition you provide. I'm spoilt for choice. (We are the way and the wayfarer but not the stumbling stone? But the stumbling stone is part of the way, is it not? So part of us? But not all of us stumble? Why not? Are we different ways or different wayfarers? Or both? But if we are, the stumbling stone is different. Argh. We could go on. The simple fact that you find definite meaning in 'we are the way and the wayfarer' - and that something so vague and impossible always means what you want it to - is breathtaking)

This has been a tiring one, and a break is probably due, as you say. However, I'll take the implied challenge and, when I get chance, I will post a new topic interpreting that entire chapter (or sufficient context).
So for you, conscience is enough 'punishment' to prevent you from committing crimes. In which case, this discussion is not about you but about those 'some people'.In that case, in order to find effective ways to 'suppress their iniquity', we need to understand how they think, not how we think.

If we are already full of guilt, then we will see punishment as punishment - we may even welcome it as a way of expiating our internal feelings of shame and guilt. But if we don't feel guilty, then we will not experience punishment as such - it will instead be an unjustified assault - something that makes us want to get our own back. I would suggest that the phrase 'hardened criminal' is a description of somebody locked into a cycle of 'eye for an eye' retribution against society.

So I see this as a purely practical matter. Few people think of themselves as bad - they would say they act the ways they do because they think they have no choice, or because life is like that. Until we can get them to think differently, then we cannot 'punish' them, only attack them. (And if we can get them to think differently, then there will be no need to punish them.)
Your suggestion, that a punishment is only justified if the person to be punished accepts it, is based on a mountain of wild assumption (and makes it in everyone's interest to deny guilt to avoid punishment). But let's pretend it is a sensible position. You still have problems: society has not accepted guilt for any punishment or 'retribution' from the 'hardened criminal', so as such it is an unjustified 'attack' on society, and society is permitted to lash out in the way the criminal does. The criminal must see that society cannot wrong him without his own secret will. The worst and best of society is within him too. He should seek to understand society and get it to think differently. And if he can get society to think differently, there will be no need for retribution. But our poor criminal doesn't do this, does he?..

Society promises a punishment for anyone who commits a crime. The criminal (you claim) in some way feels wronged by society: instead of trying to understand why society works the way it does and convince it of its wrongs, the criminal attacks it unjustly (society hasn't admitted guilt). Now when society carries through the punishment it promised, the criminal complains: "but you haven't tried to understand me and change my mind!"

Do you see the problem here? So many regresses. So many hazy assumptions. So many double standards. So little substance.

I agree with you that society should attempt to arrange itself so that it does not create the criminals it must then deal with. But Gibran doesn't get you to that destination safely. He is too vague. Too open-ended. It is open to abuse. There are better ways to argue for your goal.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Your suggestion, that a punishment is only justified if the person to be punished accepts it,
No, I said that unless a person feels guilty, then they will not interpret the punishment as punishment.
Do you see the problem here? So many regresses. So many hazy assumptions. So many double standards. So little substance.
I think Stormcloud is right. I'm sorry, but I think the problem is that you don't read things carefully enough.

I will leave it at that.
Valentine-turjery

Post by Valentine-turjery »

No, I said that unless a person feels guilty, then they will not interpret the punishment as punishment.
I interpreted you in that way, as is reflected throughout my post:
Society promises a punishment for anyone who commits a crime. The criminal (you claim) in some way feels wronged by society: instead of trying to understand why society works the way it does and convince it of its wrongs, the criminal attacks it unjustly (society hasn't admitted guilt). Now when society carries through the punishment it promised, the criminal complains: "but you haven't tried to understand me and change my mind!"
A desperate attempt to cover your retreat. No mention of my very thorough dissection of your method of argument. What a shame to end your good run in that way.
The criminal must see that society cannot wrong him without his own secret will. The worst and best of society is within him too. He should seek to understand society and get it to think differently. And if he can get society to think differently, there will be no need for retribution. But our poor criminal doesn't do this, does he?..
I use Gibrans argument to show how it works the same for the victim of crime as for the criminal... no response. Only an indecent accusation of incomprehension and a quick retreat.
Rickoshay76

Post by Rickoshay76 »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:In current times, does the death penalty make more sense due to DNA evidence? For me, letting murderers off the hook is a crime in itself. I feel that it makes them more esteemed than their victims (including families and other people) within society. And you can add on the cost of maintaining these vicious killers plus turning them loose to kill again. I think an eye for an eye is justified in these cases.

What say you to this?
If someone commits a murder, he should be executed. Long prison terms are not only expensive, they are non productive. It's also essential to erase the all hopes of friends and relatives so they can move on with their own lives.
Bezelbub

Post by Bezelbub »

I find that eye for an eye is fair until reached to a certain point when justice is transformed into revenge.
Rickoshay76

Post by Rickoshay76 »

Bezelbub wrote:I find that eye for an eye is fair until reached to a certain point when justice is transformed into revenge.
Justice is revenge, revenge for the victim's friends and relatives.
Cmlala17
New Trial Member

Proportional Retrbutivism...An eye for an eye

Post by Cmlala17 »

In his article "An Eye for an Eye?" Stephen Nathanson (article can be found on uscupstate educational site) objects to two common arguments given to justify the death penalty. One of those arguments appeals to proportional retributivism. What is proportional retributivism? Why doesn't Nathanson believe proportional retributivism justifies the death penalty? Do you agree or disagree? Why?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream