An eye for an eye

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Stormcloud

Re: An eye for an eye

Post by Stormcloud »

So, WHERE did Gibran mention coercion? No answer! Yes, your posts are becoming quite monotonous.
Last edited by Stormcloud on January 22nd, 2014, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Valentine-turjery wrote: Me: I don't think Gibran does say this for the reason... I don't read it that way. It isn't saying that we are responsible for wrongdoing in the sense of cause and effect, rather that we all share the traits of the wrongdoer - they aren't 'other' to our own natures.

He says that as well - as pointless a theme as it is. However when he goes on to say that those who run ahead do not remove the stumbling block, he suggests, firstly, that others easily resist the criminal urge, and also that had they removed it, the now-criminal wouldn't be a criminal. He removes the responsibility of the criminal, and places it on the selfishness or laziness of the frontrunners. I mean, he just says it: "and he falls for those ahead of him, who, though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone"
I don't think that is what the text says. He says that the fact that although the 'faster and surer of foot' did not stumble themselves, this 'removed not the stumbling stone'. Similarly, saying that 'when one of you falls down he falls for those behind him, a caution against the stumbling stone' it indicates that the stone is something we must all pass. If he thought we could and should remove the stone, why doesn't he say so? The other metaphors, like the leaf on the tree, do not contain the notion that the other leaves ought to be preventing some leaves turning yellow.
"So the wrongdoer cannot do wrong without the hidden will of you all." What nonsense. As I asked of Stormcloud, have you ever abetted anyone in committing a murder? A rape? A theft? I know I haven't.
'Hidden' will, hidden in our nature, not deliberate choice.

Once again, the poet is careful in choosing their words. If he meant 'everyone abets in murder' he would have said so.

Do you think you are incapable of murder, rape, theft etc.? Surely we can observe that all sorts of people, in all sorts of societies have turned out to be capable of doing all those things. So reluctantly, I have to accept that this probably also includes me - and you.
Me: To address your last sentence, if it was true that identical circumstances produce different outcomes, that indicates that the reason must be within the nature of the individuals. But if that is so, then how would it make sense to punish people for acting according to their own nature?

Well, flip it around: if it was true that different circumstances determined a person's criminality, how could we punish them for acting according to the accident of their environment?
Civilised societies take it into account. We would have to be blind not to recognise that brutal environments and extreme circumstances create abnormal behaviours. We make allowances for it both in social policy and in the justice system.

It sometimes comes across as if you are keen to find some opportunity to 'punish'! Why? Is it for our enjoyment, or to achieve a purpose? If it is the second, then the rational approach is to work out what we expect to achieve, and whether the methods we use are working.

I can't believe we really disagree about this. Would you respond to all crimes identically? Execute everyone who kills, irrespective of whether it was self defence, a depressed mother killing their baby, or a war criminal? If the answer is 'no', then you agree with me that a rational and moral response has to take into account both mental states and circumstances. This in turn is an acceptance that those who commit crimes are not some different species to you and me...which is what the poet says.
Stormcloud

Post by Stormcloud »

Londoner, nice to see that someone 'has a feel' for what ther poet is saying :D
Last edited by Stormcloud on January 22nd, 2014, 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valentine-turjery

Post by Valentine-turjery »

I don't think that is what the text says. He says that the fact that although the 'faster and surer of foot' did not stumble themselves, this 'removed not the stumbling stone'.
Very sneaky. :D When you found you had to cut bits from the original quotation, did it not worry you?...
and he falls for those ahead of him, who, though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone
Those... who... removed not the stumbling stone. I'm afraid he just actually says it. It is semantically clear. There is no 'this', only 'those' who did not remove the stumbling stone. The sentence is about as unambiguous as Gibran gets, not a matter of interpretation.
Once again, the poet is careful in choosing their words. If he meant 'everyone abets in murder' he would have said so.
He very carefully strove to be vague and proasic, I'll give you that much. And because of that, I can counter your argument in the exact form yours took: "If he'd meant that society is in part responsible for criminal acts, he'd just have said it." By couching all of these incomplete and contradictory notions in winsome and looping rhetoric, he seeks to say everything and nothing at all. There's always an escape hatch. Which, if I'm not mistaken, was the point of my very first response.
Do you think you are incapable of murder, rape, theft etc.?
I am easily capable of all those things. I'm two out of three already.

If I admit that I am capable of murder, though, or that everybody is capable of murder, it goes nothing towards saying that all murderers should be let off the hook, nor that I share their criminality - for the very plain reason that despite being very well capable of murdering someone, I don't.
'Hidden' will, hidden in our nature, not deliberate choice.
Oh, hidden will? The will that I don't know about (because it's so secret) but that Gibran does know about? Very convenient. Or... perhaps... I'm right, and this elusive, stealthy consent for others to brutalise society doesn't exist, and Gibran instead made it up. Would you consider it a valid argument if I was to say to you that you think it is okay to rape young children, and, when you protested, claim that you just didn't KNOW that's what you thought because it was 'hidden'? Of course not, you'd think I was an idiot.

I've interrogated myself. I've spent long hours dredging my conscience and, I can tell you: I don't secretly egg criminals on; if I could do something to prevent a crime, I would. I've asked my friends: they feel the same.

I will repeat my first response here, because it very succinctly outlines my position. Everything I say can be derived from his passage in the same way everything Stormcloud says (well, maybe not everything Stormcloud says) can.
Interesting, isn't it, that the poor fallen yellow leaf is completely absolved of conscious intent, being swept along by forces he cannot control, whereas everybody else toeing the legal line is willing him to fall and selfishly not removing stumbling stones and generally MAKING him rob banks, rape young girls and kill grannies? The same determinist garble can be turned around to defend the dogooding hordes. I'll have a quick go:

"Many a time have I heard ye criminals laugh at the incredulity of your victims, yet I say to you: it is those same victims that leave stumbling blocks in place for you, enabling you to pillage with moral impunity, making your excuses and taking your blame for you. Do not be as the ivy who by its untempered parasitism destroys that on which it depends." etc. etc. etc. bla. bla. bla.

-- Updated January 22nd, 2014, 5:45 am to add the following --
Stormcloud wrote:Nice to see that someone 'has a feel' for what ther poet is saying :D
You mean, "Nice to see someone has my feel for what the poet is saying".

-- Updated January 22nd, 2014, 6:16 am to add the following --
The other metaphors, like the leaf on the tree, do not contain the notion that the other leaves ought to be preventing some leaves turning yellow.
Neither is the act of a leaf turning yellow representative of a crime. Neither does this suggest that we share in the responsibility of the yellowing leaf. Neither does one leaf turning yellow affect the other leaves. Neither do the other leaves will it to turn yellow. It's a bizarre and hazy metaphor.
And when the black thread breaks, the weaver looks into the whole cloth, and he shall examine the loom also."
Why would he look at the loom if only the black thread breaks? Just don't buy that thread again. The white thread held up well enough.

See, it's mumbojumbo with a feel-good vibe.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Very sneaky. :D When you found you had to cut bits from the original quotation, did it not worry you?

..and he falls for those ahead of him, who, though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone

Those... who... removed not the stumbling stone. I'm afraid he just actually says it. It is semantically clear. There is no 'this', only 'those' who did not remove the stumbling stone. The sentence is about as unambiguous as Gibran gets, not a matter of interpretation.
I cut bits to draw your attention to what I thought was the meaning.

What do you think the function of the word 'though' is? Why would being 'faster and surer of foot' cause a stone to be removed? His point is that the fact that 'though' some people managed to avoided the stone does not mean the stone isn't there to trip those who follow.

The picture of the 'stumbling stone' as one specific and movable object is your own. Maybe it is a massive boulder embedded in the path! Or one of thousands of small stones! Seriously, the metaphor as life as a journey with various hazards is readily understood. When Bunyan's pilgrim encounters the 'River of Death' most readers aren't baffled by why previous travelers haven't constructed a bridge.
He very carefully strove to be vague and proasic, I'll give you that much. And because of that, I can counter your argument in the exact form yours took: "If he'd meant that society is in part responsible for criminal acts, he'd just have said it." By couching all of these incomplete and contradictory notions in winsome and looping rhetoric, he seeks to say everything and nothing at all. There's always an escape hatch. Which, if I'm not mistaken, was the point of my very first response.
I don't think he is vague, incomplete or contradictory. He uses several metaphors to convey the same message. As I said before, you could just about interpret this one phrase in the way you suggest, but if you do it would contradict everything else in the piece, which rather suggests it isn't how we should understand it.
Me: The other metaphors, like the leaf on the tree, do not contain the notion that the other leaves ought to be preventing some leaves turning yellow.

Neither is the act of a leaf turning yellow representative of a crime. Neither does this suggest that we share in the responsibility of the yellowing leaf. Neither does one leaf turning yellow affect the other leaves. Neither do the other leaves will it to turn yellow. It's a bizarre and hazy metaphor.
It suggests we are all alike in that we all have that propensity to 'turn yellow', which is something that is true of leaves. You are quite right in saying that your other interpretations would be bizarre, which is why they are unlikely to be what the poet was trying to say.
Me: Do you think you are incapable of murder, rape, theft etc.?

I am easily capable of all those things. I'm two out of three already.

If I admit that I am capable of murder, though, or that everybody is capable of murder, it goes nothing towards saying that all murderers should be let off the hook, nor that I share their criminality - for the very plain reason that despite being very well capable of murdering someone, I don't.
So do you want to murder people? What restrains you? If you think you can murder, rape or steal from people and escape punishment, will you go ahead and do it?
Me: 'Hidden' will, hidden in our nature, not deliberate choice.

Oh, hidden will? The will that I don't know about (because it's so secret) but that Gibran does know about?
Yes, 'hidden', that's what the verse says. And it isn't so secret. As I have already pointed out, we see that all sorts of people commit criminal acts; you admit to your own propensity to do so. So I can't see where you disagree with the poet.

You seem to be demanding to fight some straw man who is saying 'ignore crime'. That isn't me and it I don't think it is the poet either.
Valentine-turjery

I cut bits to draw your attention to what I thought was the meaning.
It is a very basic sentence, it doesn't need cutting up to reveal its meaning. I will quote it once again.
..and he falls for those ahead of him, who, though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone
What does 'though' mean? Are you testing me? It means, 'though': despite, think 'even though'. A boulder!? Are you serious? Pure desperation. Once again, this is not a passage for interpretation. It is semantically very clear: it was not removed by people who had no fear of tripping on it. You would have to change the sentence to have it mean what you want it to mean. He simply says it. It might be unpleasant to you, but it is there in print. To be honest, I believe if this discussion was proceeding in a nicer tone, you would have conceded this point by now. That is probably partly my fault. (And with that in mind, I restrain myself from saying what I think of the attempted Pilgrim's Progress comparison)
...it would contradict everything else in the piece
Quite the reverse. The complete opposite. It would supplement it all very nicely. "Look to the cloth and to the loom, rather than the black thread" "cannot without the hidden will of us all"... it is what the passage is about! All the metaphors, muddled and misaligned and unsatisfactory as they are, say the same thing. Show me how that sentence, meaning what it says, would contradict anything else in the piece.

As for the rest, you'll have noticed I've never said that there is a fundamental difference between a criminal and myself. I accepted it gleefully from the off. I did, however, say it was a bland and useless theme, which I still think. Who doesn't know this? It is hardly worth mentioning.
You seem to be demanding to fight some straw man who is saying 'ignore crime'.
I quoted my first post for you. I'm trying very hard. I really am...

Did I, or did I not, very explicitly, and repeatedly, say that what Gibran attempts to do is transfer the blame from the criminal to us, the law-abiders? It seems to me that I did. And clearly at that. Will you now, for me, deny that he does this?
so the wrongdoer cannot do wrong without the hidden will of you all
when the black thread breaks, the weaver looks into the whole cloth, and he shall examine the loom also
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Valentine
What does 'though' mean? Are you testing me? It means, 'though': despite, think 'even though'.
The sentence is:

and he falls for those ahead of him, who, though faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone

if we substitute the word 'despite':

and he falls for those ahead of him, who, despite (being) faster and surer of foot, yet removed not the stumbling stone

it doesn't make sense. Having the quality of being 'faster and surer of foot' doesn't make it more likely you would move stones.

It is like saying: 'Despite being strong, Fred had blue eyes'.
Did I, or did I not, very explicitly, and repeatedly, say that what Gibran attempts to do is transfer the blame from the criminal to us, the law-abiders? It seems to me that I did. And clearly at that. Will you now, for me, deny that he does this?
Yes.

And if you are not persuaded we will just have to agree to differ.
As for the rest, you'll have noticed I've never said that there is a fundamental difference between a criminal and myself. I accepted it gleefully from the off. I did, however, say it was a bland and useless theme, which I still think. Who doesn't know this? It is hardly worth mentioning.
But unfortunately you did not respond to my question about whether you would like to murder, rape, steal etc. and are only deterred by the fear of punishment, which I think would have been interesting.
Valentine-turjery

it doesn't make sense... It is like saying: 'Despite being strong, Fred had blue eyes'.
I'm afraid not. Faster: explains why they are further ahead. Surer of foot: explains why they didn't stumble themselves. He is saying that these people had the chance to modify the landscape, because they got there ahead of the others, in a way that would assist the clumsy, but they chose not to, intent as they were on themselves and their own progress.
Having the quality of being 'faster and surer of foot' doesn't make it more likely you would move stones.
It has nothing to do with making them more likely to remove it (indeed, what phrase could he have used to insinuate that?)... it is that they were able to remove it without risk, and they did not. See, Gibran anticipates the argument that other people have gone before and not stumbled, and attempts to resolve it by casting blame on to them: being above it, they could have changed society to prevent these metaphorical trips and falls, but they didn't, they were too focused on themselves. I'm saddened, in a way, because the sentence is very clear. 'Those' is connected directly with 'removed not'.
Yes.

And if you are not persuaded we will just have to agree to differ.
But unfortunately you did not respond to my question...
I'll cut you a deal. I will, in all good faith and level temper, answer your question as honestly and completely as I can. In return, I ask that you indulge me as to your reasons for denying that Gibran suggests that society is to blame for the actions of criminals. I'm quite genuinely fascinated. Because it seems so clear to me, which tells me that I haven't the capacity to see as others see, and I'd like to learn. As a gesture of good will, I'll go first:
So do you want to murder people? What restrains you? If you think you can murder, rape or steal from people and escape punishment, will you go ahead and do it?
Hmm. If I felt guaranteed to escape punishment, would I do it? If we take - and this is important - punishment as meaning any kind of censure or retribution - emotional, physical, penal, any backlash at all, then... quite possibly, yes. Not wantonly. But if I deemed it necessary. For example, if I had too little wealth to purchase food, and stealing entailed no punishment, I believe I would steal - and I believe it would be foolish of me not to. If, while sitting on a country bench pondering the emptiness of my sexual experience, a pretty little maiden walked my way, and I was certain that she would think no ill of me and I would receive no punishment, then I think I might have my way. If by murdering a man I could confiscate his wealth and his estate, and I held no comeuppance in prospect, then I might think myself foolish not to chance it.

I can't be sure, mind. But I can't be sure I wouldn't, either. I must stress though, I don't think it is in me to, say, steal knowing that I might deprive another; nor ravish knowing the girl had not consented; nor kill knowing one might grieve or my conscience assail me.

Perhaps it comes down to the definition of punishment. Some people, no doubt, require the threat of physical punishment to suppress their iniquity. For me, my own conscience would be punishment enough. Take away that... and who knows what I could do.

Does that answer your question fairly? I haven't intentionally dodged anything, so point to any omissions and I will make good.
Rainy Hammer

Post by Rainy Hammer »

The present debate seems to have a fundamental, irreconcilable problem at its core: The Prophet Gibran's writing is part of the genre known as "Inspired Writing." It's religious in nature and employs metaphor, allegory, and parables--such tricks of language and communication cannot be reduced to syllogism or argument. Metaphor "suggests meaning or sensibilities beyond quantification"--(John Savant, "Follow That Metaphor: What Faith, Jazz & Poetry Have In Common.")

"Inspired Writing" usually crumbles like a sand castle when subjected to the discipline of Philosophy. And that's why Socrates was imprisoned for 'Destroying the gods'. He was, in truth, doing just that with his razor-sharp logical debating. But it's really like mixing oil with water. "Inspired Writing", like much of the Bible, usually contains contradictions and bad logic perhaps because the writer is so damn inspired he can't be bothered with slowing down and making sure all his assertions are self-consistent. Paul's writing is rife with messy contradictions. :x

Another problem is, which many have pointed out, Gibran isn't all that talented at his chosen (Or, rather, I guess he was Chosen by the Deity :P ) occupation--that of Prophet or "Inspired Word of (Place Preferred Deities' Name Here :roll: )". His metaphors are vague and/or prosaic and, clearly, he's no Second Coming of Jesus. Jesus was at the very least a genius (At the very most the Son of God). His parables are infinitely revealing and rather complicated as well. I once Googled the "Parable of the Unjust Steward" for interpretation and meaning. I read five different tags written by both scholars and ministers; each tag had a completely different interpretation! :o That's because Jesus was a genius, who employed metaphor, allegory, and parable at an exceedingly high level. While Gibran is, at best, mediocre.
Valentine-turjery

hat's because Jesus was a genius, who employed metaphor, allegory, and parable at an exceedingly high level. While Gibran is, at best, mediocre.
Oooh. I was with you right up until this last sentence! But perhaps we could do Jesus in a later topic? Your assessment of Gibran was nicely put.
Stormcloud

Post by Stormcloud »

Rainy Hammer seems to know alot about Gibran considering his initial comment " I never read an iota of that book and was scared off by the cover photo." Heck, if you have to rely on Google better you join a topic that is in sync with your interests and leave the Mystical poets to those that are aware of what they are saying. Thanks, Londoner, it is indeed refreshing to see that someone can read Gibran in context. I am not wasting time on post #145 because he is an expert at twisting things about and there is nothing to be gained. (I dont even care if you "up with it or not" as you either understand or you dont. Simple.) Suffice to say Gibran has always had a following in the millions so I guess one or two people arent going to make much of an impression. :D
Valentine-turjery

Thanks, Londoner, it is indeed refreshing to see that someone can read Gibran in context.
The context you speak of does not exist. We are all reading from the same passage. The difference is that I don't deny what you see in it can be found there (except in the case of Londoner's basic syntactic misunderstanding). My conclusions follow directly from the text just as much as yours, but you deny mine because you don't like them.

When you say the text implies this or that, I haven't denied it; what I have done, is to show that it can equally (and, I argue, more believably) mean things that you don't want it to mean. It is not precise language. And the 'philosophy' underlying it is weak, incomplete and misguided.
Suffice to say Gibran has always had a following in the millions so I guess one or two people arent going to make much of an impression. :D
Yes, I've heard some people find it comforting to be a part of a mass movement. For me, a thoroughly considered position, even if it is unpopular, is my lot.
Stormcloud

Post by Stormcloud »

All clarified. :lol:
Last edited by Stormcloud on January 23rd, 2014, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valentine-turjery

I guess manchester united fans arent part of a mass movement either?
I guess it depends. Someone who likes watching Manchester United, but takes no part or pleasure in the wider sodality of supportership, wouldn't be part of a mass movement, no. Alternatively, of a supporter who reveled in the camaraderie and social identity of fandom, I suppose it could possibly be said that they were a part of a mass culture.

Of course, that's not quite what we're talking about here. A direct analogy with your comment would be someone claiming that Manchester United was the best footballing side in the world because of the number of fans they had. Ignoring the way they played, ignoring the results and trophies: the thing that vouches for them is how many people support them.

Personally I'm not of this bent. The crowd is at least as often wrong as it is right.
Londoner

Post by Londoner »

Valentine
I'm afraid not. Faster: explains why they are further ahead. Surer of foot: explains why they didn't stumble themselves. He is saying that these people had the chance to modify the landscape, because they got there ahead of the others,...
No, you are saying that. It isn't in the poem.

Let's do some proper Lit Crit and look at the lines in context.

The poet writes first of human nature:

Even like the sun is your god-self; It knows not the ways of the mole nor seeks it the holes of the serpent.

But your god-self does not dwell alone in your being.

Much in you is still man, and much in you is not yet man, but a shapeless pigmy that walks asleep in the mist searching for its own awakening.

And of the man in you would I now speak.

For it is he and not your god-self nor the pigmy in the mist, that knows crime and the punishment of crime.

So he who knows crime is this 'man within us'. This is emphasised by the next lines:

Oftentimes have I heard you speak of one who commits a wrong as though he were not one of you, but a stranger unto you and an intruder upon your world.

But I say that even as the holy and the righteous cannot rise beyond the highest which is in each one of you, So the wicked and the weak cannot fall lower than the lowest which is in you also.

This notion of 'falling' is then taken up in the metaphor of the yellowing leaf. Before extending it into the metaphor of the stumbling runner, he explains the idea of movement also contained in that metaphor.

Like a procession you walk together towards your god-self.

You are the way and the wayfarers.

So we are both the runners and the road. The stumbling blocks aren't something we can remove - they are within us.
Because it seems so clear to me, which tells me that I haven't the capacity to see as others see, and I'd like to learn.
The other Lit Crit approach is to put the work in its cultural context. Start with the fact that others have pointed out - that Gibran is a Christian. Consider how Jesus advised us to respond to sinners. Nobody who has read the NT can fail to see the origins of these later lines in the same poem:

If any of you would bring judgment the unfaithful wife, Let him also weight the heart of her husband in scales, and measure his soul with measurements.

And let him who would lash the offender look unto the spirit of the offended.

And you judges who would be just, What judgment pronounce you upon him who though honest in the flesh yet is a thief in spirit?

This is how I approach the poem and why I interpret it in the way I do. Can we leave it at that?
Perhaps it comes down to the definition of punishment. Some people, no doubt, require the threat of physical punishment to suppress their iniquity. For me, my own conscience would be punishment enough. Take away that... and who knows what I could do.
So for you, conscience is enough 'punishment' to prevent you from committing crimes. In which case, this discussion is not about you but about those 'some people'.In that case, in order to find effective ways to 'suppress their iniquity', we need to understand how they think, not how we think.

If we are already full of guilt, then we will see punishment as punishment - we may even welcome it as a way of expiating our internal feelings of shame and guilt. But if we don't feel guilty, then we will not experience punishment as such - it will instead be an unjustified assault - something that makes us want to get our own back. I would suggest that the phrase 'hardened criminal' is a description of somebody locked into a cycle of 'eye for an eye' retribution against society.

So I see this as a purely practical matter. Few people think of themselves as bad - they would say they act the ways they do because they think they have no choice, or because life is like that. Until we can get them to think differently, then we cannot 'punish' them, only attack them. (And if we can get them to think differently, then there will be no need to punish them.)

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream