Is it wrong to have kids?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Ormond

Re: Is it wrong to have kids?

Post by Ormond »

Greta wrote: I want to write but it seems like I can only write in online conversation!
I face the very same obstacle. I've been working online for 20 years, and have typed approximately 936 million billion words in that time, but I can't do a blog to save my life. I can code a blog publishing system (like Wordpress) and set it up to automatically create 2,983 blogs on a server, but I can't actually type a blog. Duh!! Without direct interaction, I simply can't write, period. With direct interaction, I can type at 700 wpm for 3 days straight without taking a breath.

A possible solution here might be have a blog or book partner. For example, Greta and myself might pick a topic and then go back and forth in a series of articles, each fueling the other's ego, energy, ideas etc. Basically, a forum reduced to a smaller more focused format.

Getting back on topic...
The question of the OP is ultimately a case of "it depends". If one is depressed, a junkie, poverty-stricken, living in danger, lazy, neglectful, irresponsible, cruel or mentally sick, then having kids would seem problematic. Otherwise it would seem to entirely be a matter of preference since the kids will at least have a reasonable chance at having a good life.
Even some perfectly healthy people simply aren't well suited to have kids. I know, because I'm one of those people. Kids need stability, and I'm addicted to creativity and change. I am amazed that I somehow knew this about myself in my twenties, a time when it seemed I literally did not know anything else at all, especially about myself. It seems it was one of those "gift" kind of things, a talent that could not be explained by logic.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

These antinatalist arguments always wind up hinging on views such as "From the beginning of life till the end is just sorrow." I'm in my 50s. I've known tons of people in my life. I've never met a single person who actually felt that life is primarily suffering or misery or anything like that. I don't doubt that people who feel that way exist, but it's certainly not most people. And people who do feel that way should seek counseling, because surely what's really going on is that they're suffering from depression or some such.
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

Pages wrote:IAnd for the record, I wish I was never born
Life isn't worth living.

I am sorry to hear of your despondency. I suspect that it is caused by believing too many lies.
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Terrapin Station wrote:These antinatalist arguments always wind up hinging on views such as "From the beginning of life till the end is just sorrow." I'm in my 50s. I've known tons of people in my life. I've never met a single person who actually felt that life is primarily suffering or misery or anything like that. I don't doubt that people who feel that way exist, but it's certainly not most people. And people who do feel that way should seek counseling, because surely what's really going on is that they're suffering from depression or some such.
I've had a few debates on another forum with someone who agrees with antinatalism. He's not miserable, often upbeat, but he has observed suffering in all parts of nature and has figured that matter would have been better off if it never woke up. Nothing lost, nothing gained. No starvation, dehydration, grief and loss, sickness, deprivation, freezing, burning, war, torture, cruelty, dying or death.

Based on today's situation antinatalism is logical; non-existence would seem to not be a disaster, just nothing. The level of suffering of other animals in the wild is beyond belief. The number of people in the world who are experiencing lives that we'd find intolerable is also huge. Meanwhile, dying and death trump anything that one does in life; always having the final say.

I see suffering as the greatest challenge facing humankind. We have made extraordinary strides to this end, shaping our physical environments but this is clearly only part of the answer - the rest lies within our structuring and within our heads. Philosophical/spiritual approaches have been found to be useful to many, but far from failsafe due to our evolved limitations and exigencies.

Given the great, if deeply pitted, progress made by humanity so far as regards making life less harsh (if largely only for some of its own number), I am optimistic that life (I'm guessing post-human) can eventually satisfactorily solve problems related to suffering and sorrow. Early development is always tumultuous and painful, and the universe is only young as compared with its potential star-producing (and thus, life-fostering) life of around a trillion years.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Pages

Post by Pages »

A_Seagull wrote:
Pages wrote:IAnd for the record, I wish I was never born
Life isn't worth living.

I am sorry to hear of your despondency. I suspect that it is caused by believing too many lies.
No... By experience

-- Updated August 23rd, 2016, 7:35 pm to add the following --

And uhmm... Thank you...
The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

Pages wrote:
A_Seagull wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

No... By experience

-- Updated August 23rd, 2016, 7:35 pm to add the following --

And uhmm... Thank you...
Fair enough.. I am sure you are right.... except that experience can be tempered by belief and beliefs can be influenced by other people and other people don't always speak the truth.

I used to feel trapped and alienated and sad ..... I used to watch the seagulls flying and squawking and being free....... and I used to wonder why I could not, too, be free like them.... hence my moniker..
A_Seagull
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
Above us only sky

Post by Above us only sky »

Here is a famous quote by Schopenhauer on this very topic
If children were brought into the world by an act of pure reason alone, would the human race continue to exist? Would not a man rather have so much sympathy with the coming generation as to spare it the burden of existence, or at any rate not take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?
Is he right? why?

Let's view this topic from another perspective:
An important part of growing-up for a child is to learn the rules and norms of human society whether that child wants to learn it or not or whether those rules and norms are evil. In other words, there are evils in this world, and a child has to learn some of the evils and be part of some evils if he wants to survive at all, in this process, the purity of a child which we adults admires so often is gradually lost.

The great French philosopher Voltaire put it this way:
We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival.
If this is so, we are justified to ask this question:" Do we have to give birth to a child so she has to go through this process ?"
Pages

Post by Pages »

No, we do not need to. As a matter of fact we do not have the right to. But what do I know, everybody seems to be a nurturing expert and a psychic when you tell them having a child is wrong.
The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Pages wrote: And for the record, I wish I was never born.
That's not a record I would buy. Your attitude is evidence that you were never born (spiritually). "He that is not busy being born is busy dying." - Bob Dylan

You may want to consider what aspect of not being born appeals to you.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Above us only sky

Post by Above us only sky »

Felix wrote:
Pages wrote: And for the record, I wish I was never born.
That's not a record I would buy. Your attitude is evidence that you were never born (spiritually). "He that is not busy being born is busy dying." - Bob Dylan

You may want to consider what aspect of not being born appeals to you.
Hi, Felix, what's your comment on Schopenhauer's words? Do you agree that a child should not born to go though the process of becoming as wicked as the world?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Well, AUOS, first off, Mr. Schopenhauer was known to be "the glass is half empty" kind of guy.

Let's examine his statement:

"If children were brought into the world by an act of pure reason alone"

This suggests that Schopenhauer believes reason alone is a reliable guide in life. If the world was a completely reasonable place, I suppose that would be true, but it's not. And would you even want that: a world where everything is reasonable and there are no surprises?

"Would not a man rather have so much sympathy with the coming generation as to spare it the burden of existence, or at any rate not take it upon himself to impose that burden upon it in cold blood?"

The assumption here is that life is a burden, an unfit environment for existence, and therefore nonexistence is preferable. But if you'd never existed, you couldn't even choose between existence and nonexistence. Isn't it better to have a choice than to have none? As a human being, regardless of how miserable you are or you may think you are, you have more choices than any other life form on this planet. In fact you can even choose not to conceive of life as a burden or be a burden to others. How is nonexistence preferable to that?

And the correct answer to the problem of life is actually: "If children were brought into the world by an act of pure love alone"

.... the human race would continue to not only exist but to thrive.

I once read an interview with J. Krishnamurti in which he said, "only a mentally ill person would commit suicide." I thought to myself, "wow, that's a harsh indictment." But it's really just a statement of fact because if you'll dive deep down into the core of your being (as he did), you'll find there's no one there to assassinate. Why not at least make the effort, what have you got to lose? Everyone will arrive at death's door eventually, why be in a hurry to get there? Take your time, enjoy the journey - or don't enjoy it - it's up to you.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OP:
There are a lot of reasons why people have children, non of which is FOR the child
- not to be lonely (companionship)
- so others won't mock or insult you,
- to build a community,
- for ritual purposes
- to carry on the family's legacy (whatever it is) etc.
You seem to have omitted the most obvious reason. I didn't have kids for any of the above reasons (having children to avoid being mocked seems a particularly odd one). I did it because my genes told me to.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote:OP:
There are a lot of reasons why people have children, non of which is FOR the child
- not to be lonely (companionship)
- so others won't mock or insult you,
- to build a community,
- for ritual purposes
- to carry on the family's legacy (whatever it is) etc.
You seem to have omitted the most obvious reason. I didn't have kids for any of the above reasons (having children to avoid being mocked seems a particularly odd one). I did it because my genes told me to.
If kid-having was not preceded by the sex part, there'd be way, way less people on the planet. Just sayin'
"As usual... it depends."
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Bruno Bettelheim made the statement ( I cannot find where) that not having children is like missing art or music.
Gabrielbtst
New Trial Member

Post by Gabrielbtst »

It's wrong not to have children.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream