The claim that anything is "unnatural" is false.

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Trentluv
New Trial Member

The claim that anything is "unnatural" is false.

Post by Trentluv »

People often make a distinction between nature and things that are man made, saying man made things are separate from nature, as if we've been placed inside nature - separate from it. I argue that since man, along with everything else came from (and is a part) of nature, everything conceivable, including man made concepts and our physical manifestations are also a part of nature. Here are a few observations and random thoughts that are consistent with this argument.

1. The universe naturally generates self aware creatures. They don't come from somewhere else. Being comparatively intelligent to other self aware agents doesn't make a creature exempt from nature.
2. Nothing has been observed to be inserted into nature by a third party.
3. A bird's nest is considered to be naturally occurring, even though birds' nests don't exist without a bird constructing it first. If a bird creates a nest that includes a man-made rubber band, it doesn't automatically become unnatural.
4. Extremely complicated man made products were never constructed outside the laws of physics or with elements outside of nature.
5. Being self aware doesn't separate something from nature, and is rather just a conscious manifestation of nature itself.
6. It is egotistical to consider one's self to be considered separate from nature.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: The claim that anything is "unnatural" is false.

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes. It's all nature, all of the cosmos. The anthropocentric idea that humanity and its works are not "natural" first seemed to stem from the ancients who believed humans to be divine, above nature.
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Vijaydevani

Post by Vijaydevani »

If it were unnatural, it simply wouldn't occur in nature, would it?
A little knowledge is a religious thing.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

No real problem there. The question is purely semantic, as it hinges on the word "nature" and the quibble is over what's inside and outside of the meaning of nature as used by any particular speaker. Change the category titles and the problem goes away.
Instead of Natural and Artificial, you can distinguish between the accidental and deliberate or the grown and the made or simply Human/Other.
But then, one wouldn't have any grounds for defending destructive human actions as natural and therefore okay.

At the point in its history when agriculture began, humankind diverged from the rest of the animals and gradually turned against the ecosystem from which it had arisen. From that point on, whatever man made was quite distinct from, and inimical to, whatever was done and made by other animals. Over 100,000 years, this enmity has grown and inexorably led up to the end-game, the final conflict that will end both nature and man.
If the mega-vulcano erupts, or the meteor gets here first, nature wins. If the nuclear war breaks out or warming burns up all the vegetation, man wins.
Place your bets.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

I'm tired of saying that XD.

Specially when it comes to "human nature", if it happens, it is nature.
There are things that are more common, that's true, but some people pretend to be truth, that only "not thinking before acting" is human nature, things like that, and if you think, then you are acting "against your own nature".

I've started to say that I'm not human XD.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

From one angle I agree with you, Trentluv, but I think the "natural/artificial" distinction is useful. I want to know if something is artificial rather than natural leather, for example.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Terrapin Station wrote:From one angle I agree with you, Trentluv, but I think the "natural/artificial" distinction is useful. I want to know if something is artificial rather than natural leather, for example.
Than again, that's basically wanting to know what something is made from and whether it's been ethically sourced.
Alias wrote:Instead of Natural and Artificial, you can distinguish between the accidental and deliberate or the grown and the made or simply Human/Other.
But then, one wouldn't have any grounds for defending destructive human actions as natural and therefore okay.
I would suggest that "spiralling ever more out of our control" would be a better description of the human endeavour ATM, which is actually nature's endeavour. This is what nature does, every now and then it goes through rapid changes. As with metamorphosis, old forms are destroyed and replaced with new ones and a new relative equilibrium will ensure.

Every generation has assumed that they are 1) the pinnacle - as far as life can possibly go - and 2) doomed due to unsustainability. They were basically saying the same thing in Revelations, albeit with exciting mythological imagery. Every generation has been wrong.
Alias wrote:At the point in its history when agriculture began, humankind diverged from the rest of the animals and gradually turned against the ecosystem from which it had arisen. From that point on, whatever man made was quite distinct from, and inimical to, whatever was done and made by other animals. Over 100,000 years, this enmity has grown and inexorably led up to the end-game, the final conflict that will end both nature and man.
Compare humanity with imaginal discs: https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=imaginal+discs
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated—Gandhi.
Empiricist-Bruno
Favorite Philosopher: Berkeley

Post by Empiricist-Bruno »

Trentluv,

I generally disagree with your idea, overall. In my opinion anything that is mind-made is unnatural.

A nest may be considered natural along with a spider's web but to me, that just means people are confused about what is and what is not natural. I feel pretty sure that a nest and a web are unnatural creations. Even our bodies are not natural because they develop according to genetic plans and these plans are not natural as they represent a beginning of consciousness, a beginning of minding, even if it is not conscious.

I think that if you believe that life is free, then it can't be naturally occurring. To me what is natural has nothing to do with human nature. Say you say me, say we together, naturally. LOL.

Only rocks rocks are natural, along with volcanoes, earthquakes planets and stars, etc.

A mind cannot be found in nature and so it has to be considered unnatural along with its products.
Watch out for the hidden paradoxes around you!
Alias

Post by Alias »

Or, you could classify things according to what they're made of: compostile or recylable.
Why does this matter?
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Apex_Predator
Favorite Philosopher: Marcus Aurelius

Post by Apex_Predator »

Its not false. You're not understanding the definition, the reason for it and the usefulness of identifying things as natural or man made.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

This thread is mainly revolving around the fact that many use the term "natural" when they mean "naturally occurring" (as opposed to man made). This is just a verbal shortcut, most who use it know that the meaning is somewhat different than the wording.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Apex_Predator wrote:Its not false. You're not understanding the definition, the reason for it and the usefulness of identifying things as natural or man made.
Just about everyone aged over five understands that definition. That number may even include philosophy buffs.

This is about the assumption that is often made that humans and their works are not natural, not part of the Earth but an outside or corrupted agent antithetical to an assumed natural order.
Alias

Post by Alias »

The distinction, and the discussion, make sense only if they have a purpose.
Why does it matter?
Once you put the question in some context, you can come up with a more appropriate definition.
BardoXV
New Trial Member

Post by BardoXV »

There is a member of my congregation who claims that people are not animals, but to extend that reasoning you would claim there were natural things, and unnatural things. The unnatural things are presumably made by man. I don't agree with him, but since he is an older and long time member, I didn't say anything, I didn't want to start an argument, there are quite a few people who think like he does.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Trentluv wrote:People often make a distinction between nature and things that are man made, saying man made things are separate from nature, as if we've been placed inside nature - separate from it. I argue that since man, along with everything else came from (and is a part) of nature, everything conceivable, including man made concepts and our physical manifestations are also a part of nature. Here are a few observations and random thoughts that are consistent with this argument.

1. The universe naturally generates self aware creatures. They don't come from somewhere else. Being comparatively intelligent to other self aware agents doesn't make a creature exempt from nature.
2. Nothing has been observed to be inserted into nature by a third party.
3. A bird's nest is considered to be naturally occurring, even though birds' nests don't exist without a bird constructing it first. If a bird creates a nest that includes a man-made rubber band, it doesn't automatically become unnatural.
4. Extremely complicated man made products were never constructed outside the laws of physics or with elements outside of nature.
5. Being self aware doesn't separate something from nature, and is rather just a conscious manifestation of nature itself.
6. It is egotistical to consider one's self to be considered separate from nature.
There are no straight lines in nature. A straight line has to be a conscious creation. Does that make it unnatural?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream