Too Much Tolerance?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: Too Much Tolerance?

Post by Alias »

deronmoped wrote: It's the same thing with being liberal or conservative.
What do you mean by those terms?
In the times of scarcity - say, between 400,000 and 4000BC everywhere on earth; up to 1900 AD in some parts of the world -
settled peoples tended to be more culturally enclosed than they are now, which means conservative in the sense of being slow to change,
but also far more egalitarian in the distribution of wealth and labour - which means, economically liberal.

At the same time, in communities of roughly equal size and prosperity, there was a vast variety of attitudes to family relations, sexual conduct, status, aggression, dress, speech, individual rights, education and the supernatural; a vast difference of tolerance for deviation from the norm and for self-expression.
People are allowed to be more liberal when there is excess (overabundance) in society.
How does opinion, and whether one may express it openly, affect abundance - or vice versa?
Life or Mother Nature is the ultimate decider on how society functions. Get too far out of wack and society will not survive. Society will be driven to be more conservative in order to survive.
What is the "wack" that a society can be or out of? Which particular wacks threaten its survival?
Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Post by Mark1955 »

Nick_A wrote:
Dolphin42 wrote:I can definitely say, hand on heart, that I do not aspire to become human.
At least you are honest. Most would probably claim they do want to become human. Your sincerity is admirable.
As dolphin42 is most probably classed as human by most other humans I think he needs to focus on how he could raise himself, at least in his own eyes, from such abject poverty to something better.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

Everything should be "tolerated" by a society unless there is clear and direct harm to others...
Rr6
Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post by Rr6 »

Atreyu wrote:Everything should be "tolerated" by a society unless there is clear and direct harm to others...
Humans have been tolerating of polluting the environment that sustains for many years now. How long will humanity tolerate that.

Humans tolerate enough hydrogen bombs to destroy all humans many times over. How long will that go on?

Humans tolerate nuke plants that are destined to eventually kill off nay humanity that survives global warming. How long will that go on?

All energy production results in death of humans and polluting the environment. Solar and wind would appear to be the least detrimental humans and ecological environment that sustains them

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Atreyu:
Everything should be "tolerated" by a society unless there is clear and direct harm to others...
What about things that harm others indirectly and things that harm ourselves? Do you believe that all such things should be tolerated? The society in which I live disagrees with that to some extent. It makes it illegal to ride a motorcycle without a crash helmet or ride in a car without a seat-belt. It makes some harmful and addictive substances illegal and imposes large taxes on some others. And so on. Are you a classic Libertarian (J .S. Mill style) in the sense of disagreeing with these kinds of policies?
Lark_Truth
Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post by Lark_Truth »

Rr6 wrote:
Atreyu wrote:Everything should be "tolerated" by a society unless there is clear and direct harm to others...
Humans have been tolerating of polluting the environment that sustains for many years now. How long will humanity tolerate that.

Humans tolerate enough hydrogen bombs to destroy all humans many times over. How long will that go on?

Humans tolerate nuke plants that are destined to eventually kill off nay humanity that survives global warming. How long will that go on?

All energy production results in death of humans and polluting the environment. Solar and wind would appear to be the least detrimental humans and ecological environment that sustains them

r6
It will all go on until humanity joins together and throws a fit big enough to make the governments of the world say, "We should do something about this" and are motivated into action. Weapons of mass destruction will exist until humanity has grown out of waging war. Nuclear plants will exist until we can find a better and safer way to gain clean energy. It seems that we will tolerate pollution until we start chocking on poisonous gas, or it will be tolerated as long as we have electricity to power our devices.
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

So if you are threatening my immortal sole by not allowing me to practice my religious belief that homosexuality is evil, witches should be killed etc.I don't have to tolerate you.
Gamnot

Post by Gamnot »

I believe that the philosopher Karl Popper who wrote: "The Open Society and its Critics" was attempting to get a handle on this topic. He raised the question of to what extent intolerance in itself should be tolerated. I don't think that there is an overall formula that can be used, but is a matter of the character and competence of the population and its leadership. Some people who consider the family a pillar of culture tend to be adverse to the radical individualism occurring in our time and I agree with them.

"If God is dead, then everything is permitted." ...... Dostoevsky
Mark1955

Post by Mark1955 »

Gamnot wrote:. Some people who consider the family a pillar of culture tend to be adverse to the radical individualism occurring in our time and I agree with them.
Spend a day in the family courts listening to the evidence of physical and sexual abuse that goes on in families and then come and say that again. As to god, I've no problem with him, just all the perverts who claim to believe in him and use him to justify what they do.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Gamnot wrote: "If God is dead, then everything is permitted." ...... Dostoevsky
While god was alive, everything was forbidden.
Nothing changed: people were horrible to one another because a god told them to; now they're horrible to another because they want to.
You'd almost suspect that gods tell bad people to do the bad things they wanted to do all anyway, while good people behave well whether anyone tells them to or not.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Am I alone in not appreciating what "tolerating" means as pertains to different world views? Where in the hierarchy of possible levels does not "tolerating" an idea fall?

1- Illegal in the society at large, followers are incarcerated/fined
1a- Legal, but as in the case of some anti-abortion crazies, murder/arson etc
2- Legal but opposed through active, also legal demonstration
3- Legal, though silent disagreement, vote against their agenda when it comes up for a vote
"As usual... it depends."

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream