What is the most valuable thing in your life?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.

Post Number:#1  Postby Woodart » March 10th, 2017, 9:46 pm

What is the most valuable thing in your life? Is love the most important thing? How about money or power? Is your child and family the most valued aspect of your life? How about education and health? I think it is important to understand what we value most. It gives us perspective and understanding of who we are. To “know thyself” is an admonition and echo from ages past which still speaks to us today.

I guess it could be argued that no one thing is most important. Perhaps, that a combination of things is most important. I ask you to you to profess and define what is most important to you. I think the answers will surprise us all.
Woodart
New Trial Member

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Re: What is the most valuable thing in your life?

Post Number:#2  Postby -1- » March 11th, 2017, 3:49 am

Too many valuables, not enough negotiables. Can't rank them, sorry. Variety is the spice of life, change is the mother of all perception, "Most" or "favourite" always changes, values topple each other, maturity grows, people mature, if I say "this is the most valuable thing in my life" then tomorrow it will become false.

Sorry.

-- Updated 2017 March 11th, 3:50 am to add the following --

Good question, though, undoubtedly.
Sweat the small stuff... because then the big stuff will take care of itself.
-1-

Post Number:#3  Postby Woodart » March 11th, 2017, 11:18 am

I assert that there is something all humans possess which is more fundamentally valuable than anything else. It is consciousness. It is in consciousness that all of our experience is held. Everything we have and value is in consciousness. It can be argued that the only thing we own is consciousness. Our bodies are vessels for the existence of consciousness and we are just renters - tenants in our bodies. All of our experience is in our minds eye. Through the eye of consciousness the entire universe is unveiled. The most valuable thing is consciousness.
Woodart
New Trial Member

Post Number:#4  Postby Rr6 » March 11th, 2017, 3:13 pm

I saw a study some years back giving percentages of what most men and women think about.

Sex and money were top of the list.

Love of sex and love of money?

Love of children fills what time-space of minds considerations?

Of course all of the above may vary depending on specific individual circumstances. Age, single-married, children-no-children, etc.

Primary is for the individual to feel competent at something. The most financially valuable thing may vary from person to person based on their circumstances.

Car, house, train, boat, ship, company, country etc...

r6
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Rr6

Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Post Number:#5  Postby Woodart » March 13th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I think it is hard to argue that anything is more fundamental or valuable to each of us than consciousness. Our consciousness contains everything that we physically and mentally experience. Love, hate, sex, God, trees, mountains, stars, galaxies all are only in our minds eye. I am not saying that trees or galaxies are not real or separate entities from ourselves. What I am saying is that our individual contact with them is only experienced through our individual awareness. Our awareness is the framework upon which all our experience is filtered. Our awareness holds the entire universe, God or no God, ourselves and everything we have ever done or will do. So I ask you, what is this thing – consciousness?
Woodart
New Trial Member

Post Number:#6  Postby Rr6 » March 17th, 2017, 8:23 am

That is for sure woodart. However, animal consciousness--- if accessed and not in coma of unconscious or crazy{ sanity } requires oxygen and water. So our consciousness tells us whats most valueable is;

1} air,

2} water,

3} sanity,

4} food,

5} shelter,

6} Sex

123 ABC thats how easy biological life can be...sung to M. jackson tune

Woodart wrote:I think it is hard to argue that anything is more fundamental or valuable to each of us than consciousness. Our consciousness contains everything that we physically and mentally experience. Love, hate, sex, God, trees, mountains, stars, galaxies all are only in our minds eye. I am not saying that trees or galaxies are not real or separate entities from ourselves. What I am saying is that our individual contact with them is only experienced through our individual awareness. Our awareness is the framework upon which all our experience is filtered. Our awareness holds the entire universe, God or no God, ourselves and everything we have ever done or will do. So I ask you, what is this thing – consciousness?
"U"niverse > UniVerse > universe > I-verse < you-verse < we-verse < them-verse
Rr6

Favorite Philosopher: R. Bucky Fuller

Return to General Philosophy