Academic Philosophy vs Socratic Philosophy

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Fooloso4

Re: Academic Philosophy vs Socratic Philosophy

Post by Fooloso4 »

Ivan:
It is evident from the Parmenides that such Forms in our souls would not be themselves-by-themselves.
Right, but this means that whatever it is that is in the soul is not the Forms themselves.
Therefore, the only way to relate those noemata in our souls with the Forms themselves-by-themselves is by the use of anamnesis.
The problem once again is that the appeal to anamnesis fails if the soul is not immortal. To say it shows that the soul is immortal is circular. The noemata are related to the Forms via eikasia.
I think you are not right when trying to identify Plato’s dialectic with the ‘second sailing’ and this latter with turning to speeches only.

From the Republic:
So, also, when a man tries by discussion—by means of argument without the use of any of the senses—to attain to each thing itself that is and doesn't give up before he grasps by intellection itself that which is good itself, he comes to the very end of the intelligible realm just as that other man was then at the end of the visible."
"That's entirely certain," he said.
"What then? Don't you call this journey dialectic?"
"Of course." (532a-b)
Ivan:
The ‘weaving’ of words (speech) is not an essential part of the dialectic. Collection is a dialectical procedure too. And it is related to recollection, as I have already said.
Plato uses the term recollection in the ordinary sense to mean remember or recall as well as in the myth of anamnesis to mean to remember what was learned while dead.
Plato, as any good Greek sailor, knew all the risks of getting too far into the open sea (of speeches), pelagos logōn. We were too self-confident.
But it is here that you rely on speeches woven together about what happens to an immortal soul between lives. I do not know your level of confidence in such stories. As I see it, Plato collected such stories, weaved and altered them for his own use, but did not accept them as true. He was a skeptic. He pointed to the Forms as a way of reminding us that we do not possess knowledge of eternal verities. Of such things we remain ignorant.

I think we have come to an impasse. What you take to be essential to Plato's philosophy I take to be myths in the service of philosophy. They are part of his philosophical poetry. He banishes the poets from the just city in speech, but this does not prevent him from appropriating their myths for his own purposes.
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

Fooloso4, What if you really could deprive Plato of all his ‘myths’ and ‘stories’? What would you get then? What he would be distilled down to? Would you, after all, really believe Whitehead when he says, that the ‘European philosophical tradition consists of a series of footnotes to Plato’?

In fact, you could easily strip almost any European ‘philologist’ in philosophy, like Nietzsche, from all his ‘myths’, poetic images, etc. Without pity or regret. It is not that easy with Plato.
Plato is not a poet and not a ‘philologist’, collecting ‘stories’. He is much more a mathematician in philosophy as opposed to the most of his contemporaries. He sees his dialectic as a science (technē) of much nobler kind than math or geometry. Here is a good quotation from Frank about the opposition between Plato and Aristotle in this respect:
Apart from the faithful observation and analysis of phenomena it is the “logos," the terms of human language, in which Aristotle seeks the very source of truth. Thus, he is the father of "logic,' the originator of "philology" and of the historical research of the following generations but at the same time of all the barren scholasticism of words. The definitions on which Aristotle bases the ideas are nothing hut nominal definitions as they naturally result from the analysis of the human language. Thus, the logic by which Aristotle replaces Platonic dialectic is necessity a mere logic of concepts, i.e. of nouns of their classification into genera and species and of the subsumption of the individual under them. As a natural system this logic has a certain justification in organic nature, yet it is restricted to the realm of thinking which alone remains if the peculiarity of mathematical thinking as immediate truth is denied and reduced to the mere abstraction of concepts. Plato, in proving the hypothetical character of all science which consciously or unconsciously bases all its knowledge upon ultimate axioms; refers to mathematical thinking as a model. Aristotle, on the other hand, sees only the circumscribed result of scientific thinking as if one could understand and define its objects in isolation and could deduce one proposition from another. In every scientific, especially in every mathematical definition, however, an unknown is not simply reduced by analysis to a known but different unknown concepts are determined at once in their mutual relation. Yet, if one were to try according to such an "analytical” logic to take the single concepts of a mathematical definition out of their verbal context and to define each of them separately as an individual noun through genus, species, and differentiae, one would kill the very nerve of mathematical thought.
(Frank, 1940)

What is really difficult about Plato is that he has a very special and rare kind of mathematical mind. The one, which Poincaré might have called ‘intuitive’. This would mean he could see (mathematical) entities and problems differently, than any other mathematician/geometer did (that did not make him a ‘poet’).
So when Plato uses some imagery or ‘myth’, he most often wants to say there is no way to describe some entities in usual words.
We can move on to even firmer ground here. Let us suppose, Plato wants to say he has a certain type of experience, certain qualia, which cannot be described in words. Just as we cannot describe the ‘redness of red’, or cannot neither describe, nor even imagine how it is to perceive electrical fields like some fishes do. Plato is sure, that when he uses this kind of experience, he may solve some problem not only within the domain of ‘sciences’ proper (math, geometry), but also in philosophy (political, ethical, etc.). This would at least describe my ‘level of confidence in such stories’.

Now, let’s get back to your hypothesis, that the noemata are related to the Forms via eikasia. Here are two schemes, describing the imagery of the Cave and Divided line in the Republic:

[Oh, no, I cannot insert any image -- just google for 'plato's divided line']

As you can see, eikasia belongs to the first section of the Line. Its objects are exactly what the prisoners of the Cave see as shadows on the wall. Those shadows cannot be related to the Forms. They are cast by the different light source.
If you still insist eikasia is the only way for a Soul to have some knowledge of the Forms, you should be ready to explain, what all those other sections are needed for.

Frank, E. (1940). The fundamental opposition of Plato and Aristotle. The American Journal of Philology, 61(2), 166-185.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Ivan:
Fooloso4, What if you really could deprive Plato of all his ‘myths’ and ‘stories’? What would you get then?
From the Phaedrus:
Every speech must be put together like a living creature, with a body of its own; it must be neither without head nor without legs; and it must have a middle and extremities that are fitting both to one another and to the whole work (264c).
Deprive Plato of all his myths and stories is like depriving the dialogues of their head and legs.
In fact, you could easily strip almost any European ‘philologist’ in philosophy, like Nietzsche, from all his ‘myths’, poetic images, etc. Without pity or regret.
Nietzsche’s poetic images are no more simple window dressing than Plato’s. They must be read on their own terms. They are an integral part of the whole.
What is really difficult about Plato is that he has a very special and rare kind of mathematical mind. The one, which Poincaré might have called ‘intuitive’. This would mean he could see (mathematical) entities and problems differently, than any other mathematician/geometer did (that did not make him a ‘poet’).
From the Republic:
"Like this: in one part of it a soul, using as images the things that were previously imitated, is compelled to investigate on the basis of hypotheses and makes its way not to a beginning but to an end; while in the other part it makes its way to a beginning that is free from hypotheses; starting out from hypothesis and without the images used in the other part, by means of forms themselves it makes its inquiry through them."
"I don't," he said, "sufficiently understand what you mean here."
"Let's try again," I said. "You'll understand more easily after this introduction. I suppose you know that the men who work in geometry,calculation, and the like treat as known the odd and the even, the figures, three forms of angles, and other things akin to these in each kind of inquiry. These things they make hypotheses and don't think it worthwhile to give any further account of them to themselves or others, as though they were clear to all. Beginning from them, they go ahead with their exposition of what remains and end consistently at the object toward which their investigation was directed."
"Most certainly, I know that," he said.
"Don't you also know that they use visible forms besides and make their arguments about them, not thinking about them but about those others that they are like? They make the arguments for the sake of the square itself and the diagonal itself, not for the sake of the diagonal they draw, and likewise with the rest. These things themselves that they mold and draw, of which there are shadows and images in water, they now use as images, seeking to see those things themselves, that one can see in no other way than with thought."
"What you say is true," he said.
"Well, then, this is the form I said was intelligible. However, a soul in investigating it is compelled to use hypotheses, and does not go to a beginning because it is unable to step out above the hypotheses. And it uses as images those very things of which images are made by the things below, and in comparison with which they are opined to be clear and are given honor."
"I understand," he said, "that you mean what falls under geometry and its kindred arts."
"Well, then, go on to understand that by the other segment of the intelligible I mean that which argument itself grasps with the power of dialectic, making the hypotheses not beginnings but really hypotheses - that is, steppingstones and springboards - in order to reach what is free from hypothesis at the beginning of the whole. When it has grasped this, argument now depends on that which depends on this beginning and in such fashion goes back down again to an end; making no use of anything sensed in any way, but using forms themselves, going through forms to forms, it ends in forms too."
"I understand," he said, "although not adequately—for in my opinion it's an enormous task you speak of—that you wish to distinguish that part of what is and is intelligible contemplated by the knowledge of dialectic as being clearer than that part contemplated by what are called the arts. The beginnings in the arts are hypotheses; and although those who behold their objects are compelled to do so with the thought and not the senses, these men—because they don't consider them by going up to a beginning, but rather on the basis of hypotheses—these men, in my opinion, don't possess intelligence with respect to the objects, even though they are, given a beginning, intelligible; and you seem to me to call the habit of geometers and their likes thought and not intelligence, indicating that thought is something between opinion and intelligence."
"You have made a most adequate exposition," I said. "And, along with me, take these four affections arising in the soul in relation to the four segments: intellection in relation to the highest one, and thought in relation to the second; to the third assign trust, and to the last imagination. Arrange them in a proportion, and believe that as the segments to which they correspond participate in truth, so they participate in clarity." (510b-511c)

The first point that should be noted is that the mathematicians rely on images. Second, those images are of two kinds - the first is visible to the eye, the second is hypothetical. Third, the mathematician uses these images to some end, it begins and ends with hypothetical objects. The mathematician does not free himself from hypothesis , he does not see or know the mathematical objects themselves.

Was Plato able to free himself from hypothesis? If he could it would not be via ‘intuition’ but by “that which argument itself grasps with the power of dialectic”, that is making hypotheses “steppingstones and springboards”. It is as if one could do what he just denied could be done - “step out above the hypotheses”. The next step, or more precisely leap, in the argument is to take it as given that this has been done - that by beginning with hypotheses one can reach a beginning free of hypothesis. Having done so the “argument now depends on that which depends on this beginning and in such fashion goes back down again to an end”.
As you can see, eikasia belongs to the first section of the Line.
I consider starting a post on the Divided Line but I do not think there would be much interest. Here are a few things I was playing around with:

First, it should be noted that the divided line is itself an image. The image itself contains an image, the bottom half is an image of the top half. Thus, imagination (eikasia) is in some sense an image of thought (dianoia). The object of dianoia is mathematical objects. The object of eikasia is images. There are two kinds of images - manmade and natural. Images are representations. Natural images represent things in the visible world. Mannmade images represent things or ideas (idéa) in the mind. Those idéa are themselves images, and so, folding the divided line across the horizontal mid-point shows the correspondence between images (idéa)and Forms (eide). In other words, idéa (ideas) are images of eide (Forms). The term eidos means the form or shape or look or appearance or kind of a thing. It is what is seen by the eye or the mind’s eye. The source of its presence in the mind, however, is ambiguous - our idea of the Forms, their appearance in the mind, is itself an image.
Its objects are exactly what the prisoners of the Cave see as shadows on the wall. Those shadows cannot be related to the Forms. They are cast by the different light source.

The cave is:
… an image of our nature in its education and want of education (514a)
We might start by asking what is the light source by which we see this image? Can it be anything other than the power of imagination? It is not the fire in the cave story or the sun, of which the fire is an image, or the Good, of which the sun is an image.
The shadows are images of the puppets, which are images of visible things outside the cave, which are images of intelligible Forms.
We should also ask about the puppet-makers. Who are these image-makers and what are they the image of? They are the image of the poets, the opinion-makers. They are the image of the image-maker who supplants them, that is, the maker of the image of the cave, the maker of an image of transcendence, Plato.

Note the qualification to this whole image:
A god doubtless knows if it happens to be true. (517b)
Now if this were something Socrates, the paradigmatic philosopher, had knowledge of then why say that it is something a god knows if it “happens” to be true?
If you still insist eikasia is the only way for a Soul to have some knowledge of the Forms, you should be ready to explain, what all those other sections are needed for.
I am not saying that this is the only way for a Soul to have “some knowledge” of the Forms. What I am saying is that we have no knowledge of the Forms at all, just images of what that might be and mean.
Lyonbyte
Favorite Philosopher: Kant

Post by Lyonbyte »

I think there is no need to renounce philosophy on account of having once had an agenda. So you think differently than you did before. That is fine. I also kind of have a problem with academic philosophy, as I once said. But then I never really placed myself within the care and confines of academic philosophy, anyways. Perhaps it depends on how you conceive of truth, and how you arrive at it. . .and what the purpose of inquiry into the truth is really for. . .I mean, it can be a hobby, an intellectual fetish, pursuit of liberation or freedom, seeking after beauty or the good, some kind of egoism, etc., etc. Mankind has always done it, and probably will always philosophize as long as he walks the earth. Freedom of thought is good, I think, for we can always identify people who are under the bondage of thought, culture, and ideology. Freedom of thought is at least one freedom we can count as being under our own control. These days everyone is skeptical about following philosophical traditions, which speaks of an anxiety about freedom and bondage. But when there is no longer such anxiety then we can have a more authentic appreciation of the traditions and see what really was done by the great ones. Like geometry, philosophy is a collection of half forgotten things that a busy and over materialistic age cannot find the time or inclination to appreciate or understand.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream