How accurate is our perception?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eaglerising
Favorite Philosopher: Jiddu Krishnamurti

How accurate is our perception?

Post by Eaglerising »

Everything we do is based upon our perceived accuracy of our perception. Seeing this caused me to wonder how can I accurately determine the accuracy of my perception? I say that because I would need something other than my perception to determine that.

Which brings up another question, can I determine the accuracy of my perception in the absence of any type of authority? I ask that question because the accuracy of my perception would be dependent upon the accuracy of the authority I used. Not only that, my perception is my authority. Needless to say, all this is very confusing to me.
Spraticus

Re: How accurate is our perception?

Post by Spraticus »

I find the question a bit vague. Are you saying that all of our experience of the world is derived from perceptual evidence? What about ideas based on pure principal, like a large part of maths and logic. Ignoring the problem of solipsism and assuming the world and all those other people are really out there, what exactly is the problem. Different degrees of accuracy are needed for different tasks; I can walk along the street in the direction I want to go without banging into things. I can look more closely at the details of an etching, or I can use equipment like microscopes or telescopes or xray machines to see more clearly in other ways.

Or am I taking accuracy in the wrong way? Is it confirmation from other people or some other form of evidence that you need?
-1-

Post by -1- »

I fully and wholeheartedly agree with you, EagleRising.

Whether you believe your perceptions is a matter of belief. Most times, (actually, always) my perceptions are consistent, but that may change at a moment's notice.

Most people, esp. children, are not bothered by this problem. This is one of the drawbacks of philosophy: it sometimes irrefutably proves unsettling truths. Another one for many people is determinism; I'm okay with that. I'm a convergent thinker, there is stability it determinism, which I like, even at the cost or price of giving up control.

This, the Perception / Solipsism dilemma is still unsettling for me, although I learned by now to see that I have at least a fifty-fifty blind chance of being right when I accept that my sensory world is a true or close enough reflection of reality.

I think a better question would be, "why do we need to believe or why do we hope that perception is true to reality?" Indeed, what's the point in that? I ask because it's a true point, a major point, a huge point.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Your perception of what? An optometrist can determine the accuracy of your visual acuity under given conditions. If your vision is poor you perception of objects outside some particular range range with be poor. An audiology can check your hearing. If your hearing is poor your perception of sounds will be poor. But perception is not purely passive. There are various things that can alter how you perceive things such as context, prior experience, assumed motives, likes and dislikes, mood, attentiveness … The term is used in different ways. One’s perception might mean one’s sensory information, impression, interpretation, judgment ...
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Everything is in the eye of the beholder - be it accurate or not - you are the judge, jury and executioner.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Every life form filters reality in a way that facilitates survival. Humans as a group have used technology to learn about the material being filtered out. Hence many scientific findings seem counter-intuitive - the stuff we filter out.

For instance, we know that magnetic fields are all around us but we can't perceive them without instruments. It may have been useful at times for early humans to naturally perceive magnetic fields. However, the fact that we don't perceive them suggests that it was more useful to perceive other things, that being able to see magnetism would too often be a waste of energy or a distraction. Our researchers work to free us from this efficacious prison of our animal body but there is obviously no way of knowing what it is that one doesn't know. Like Alice, we don't know how deep the rabbit hole goes.

That's just considering our impression of the environment. Our inner workings are also mysterious to us, with our bodies humming along happily, seemingly without any of our input. The "I" sits atop this efficient biological machine like a parasitic wastrel glory-seeker, with the freeloader blithely taking all of the credit (and, admittedly, blame) for the 24/7 work of our internal colonies. Recent work into our microbiome is gradually correcting this oversight.

Another avenue of investigation is into the psyche, the suites of genetic and conditioned inclinations that make up our character and personality. We don't understand much of that which has shaped us, as it's often hidden by time and memory as well as being defined (ie. limited) by our genetic inheritance. At least in this instance we need not worry about subjectivity interfering with objectivity - perhaps.
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

Perception is a composite of everything you know and have experienced. It is the lens you view everything, Your perception determines what you think, comprehend and how you respond to your environment. Your perception is your authority because it determines who or what is an authority. How you view yourself is your perception of self.

-- Updated April 3rd, 2017, 10:14 pm to add the following --

Your perception is also your psychological identity because if you were to lose your memory you wouldn't know who your are.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Anyone who has watched David Blaine on TV knows you cannot believe your eyes. He is a master magician who can create illusions which will make you doubt your powers of perception.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

Here is a different way of looking at this. You have a view or perception of yourself. Your mother, father, sisters, bothers, relatives, friends, and co-workers all have a different view or perception of you. Are they all these perceptions accurate, or are they all inaccurate? What determines that? And is what determines that accurate?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Accurate as a representation of what? Of some kind of objectively existing observer-independent reality?
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

It's a simple question. Is your view of yourself more accurate than someone other than you? (objectively and subjectively) What determines your answer?
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

That is not what your question says.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

An accurate representation of what?
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

You're making this far more complicated than it needs to be. You have a perception (a composite view) of yourself. This view includes your personality, physical appearance, and behavior. In other words, how do you see yourself? Likewise, others have a perception of you. I asked if those perceptions are accurate or inaccurate because either they are all accurate or none of them are accurate.

If you examine what made that decision or determination you will see that it is your perception. Now you know what we are examining.

-- Updated April 4th, 2017, 6:40 am to add the following --

If you were to describe yourself in a sentence or two, that would be your perception of yourself. If you were to describe someone else in a sentence or two, that would be your perception of them.

-- Updated April 4th, 2017, 6:54 am to add the following --

You have an opinion, view or perception of Donald Trump. Is your opinion, view or perception the same as every one's? Likewise, Donald Trump has opinion, view, or perception of himself which is different then yours and others. Is your opinion more accurate then Trump's or someone else? What determined that?
Spraticus

Post by Spraticus »

Eaglerising wrote:Everything we do is based upon our perceived accuracy of our perception. Seeing this caused me to wonder how can I accurately determine the accuracy of my perception? I say that because I would need something other than my perception to determine that.

Which brings up another question, can I determine the accuracy of my perception in the absence of any type of authority? I ask that question because the accuracy of my perception would be dependent upon the accuracy of the authority I used. Not only that, my perception is my authority. Needless to say, all this is very confusing to me.

Just in case you forgot, Eaglerising, this is what you actually posted. There is no mention of ones' perception of oneself.

There have been some studies on the accuracy of self perceived personality compared to personality as measured by standard tests but I can't for the moment think where or who.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream