Perception and Reality

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Phenomexistentialist
New Trial Member

Re: Perception and Reality

Post by Phenomexistentialist »

Eaglerising wrote:Is our perception our reality? Or, is reality something different from perception?
I ask these questions because I was wondering if our perception prevents us from accurately seeing “what is?” If it does, then everyone’s view of “what is” would be different, unique. And if everyone’s perception is different, does it prevent us from understanding one another?
One of the hardest and deepest questions in philosophy IMO. I tend to straddle the line. I think that some of our perception is grounded in what we could call an objective, external reality. i.e.There is a coffee cup filled with coffee sitting next to me. Based on how we define those words (and assuming no radical skepticism), my seeing the coffee cup with coffee is an accurate perception of the proximity of a certain object to my body. That's our perception, and it accords with what we take to be reality.

Then things get murkier. Is the coffee cup a real solid object, or is it nothing but a collection of molecules bouncing around that we can't perceive through the senses. For my part, I think reality and perception DO match up here. It is correct to ay that there is a solid object filled with coffee sitting next to me. It's also correct that reality differs from my perception on the level of physics.

So I guess my final answer is that perception *can* lead us to have a partial grasp on reality as it is. But this grasp is only partial, and the real truths of the world go way beyond what we directly perceive via our senses.

Hope that helps!
MrE
New Trial Member

Post by MrE »

Your perception is your reality, however this differs from physical reality.

For example, two people are working at an office doing the same task. This is the physical reality of the situation, however their individual perception of the reality of their work may be different. One finds the task simple, enjoyable, and fulfilling. The other finds the same task complex, frustrating, and a waste of time. Their perceptions of the situation are quite different, but the physical reality remains constant.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

For congenially blind people “colour” is both “real” and not “real.” In one sense it is real because they take for granted what other people tell them (why shouldn’t they?) and not real because they’ve never had the sensible experience.

“Unicorns” are “real” and “one” is “real” because they are items we understand.
AKA badgerjelly
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

This is Kant: noumena and phenomena. Kant postulated that one might be able to perceive noumena via what he called "intellectual intuition" but I won't pretend that I know quite what he meant by that. Educated guesswork?

How would we know if the universe was inside a giant black hole, or if our view of the universe is the point of view of an subatomic particle amongst others? How would we know if this is the first universe, the billionth universe, or a unique fluke destined to return to an eternal void?

We filter out an awful lot of our reality. What we actually see via the senses in a small focused area surrounded by a blur, and much the same could be said about what we hear, smell and feel. The brain calculates on the fly, based on the relatively small amount of clear information and much more plentiful unclear information to create its best estimation of those fuzzy parts - and even postulate things beyond perception range and in the future. Quite a machine!

I agree that what we perceive is, to a fair degree, real. Our perceptions are just very incomplete and distorted to an extent that we cannot know.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Well ...

These are his words:
“If by noumenon we mean a thing insofar as it is not an object of our sensible intuition, and make abstarction from our mode of intuition, it may be called noumenon in a negative sense of teh term. If, however, by noumenon we mean an object of a non-sensible intuition, and admit thereby a special mode of intuitoin, namely, the intellectual mode - which, however, is not our own, nor one of which we can understand even the possibility - then this would be noumenon in a positive sense of the term.”

Kant, Critique of Pure Reason, Transcendental Doctrine of Elements, Transcendental Logic: Transcendental Analytic (B307-308)
Note: by “sensible intuition” Kant is referring to space and time, and how we only “know” anything by way of this intuition. The “negative” is the abstraction the positive is merely that which we can never bring to sensible light by way of abstraction - is it, in its utterance, falsified because what is spoken of is habituated in sensible intuition, as it must be to be “understand”. If there is an “intellectual intuition” we have nothing to say about it other than by “negative” means. The very postulation is in fact negative for this reason.

I admti this is somewhat of a hard idea to wrap our head around because our use of speech interferes with meaningful content. Langauge is always a direct reference to/through sensible intuition (we cannot talk without time or space!) What Kant was getting at is that this does not confine all to mere sensibility, but that this “mere” sensibility is hwo we “know”. We’re currently, and perhaps eternally, confined to sensible intuition in terms of communicable ideas and thoughts - for what I hope are quite obvious reasons.
AKA badgerjelly
Present awareness

Post by Present awareness »

“The sky is blue” you say it and I say it,but how can we know that the colour that I’m seeing is the same colour that you’re seeing? The only thing we know for sure is that whatever colour we see, we call that blue. Everything that you experience and perceive, is your own personal reality, 8 billion people, 8 billion realities.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

MrE wrote: June 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm Your perception is your reality, however this differs from physical reality.

For example, two people are working at an office doing the same task. This is the physical reality of the situation, however their individual perception of the reality of their work may be different. One finds the task simple, enjoyable, and fulfilling. The other finds the same task complex, frustrating, and a waste of time. Their perceptions of the situation are quite different, but the physical reality remains constant.
This is a great example to show the need for and power of something like stoic philosophy. You can't alter the outside world (at least, usually not enough to change the situation to fit your desires--in fact, your actions may have the opposite effect of the one you intended). However, you can change your desires to fit the situation. Remember, too, that others act from their own perceptions; it's almost never about you!

You do have nearly full control over your attitude. Change your attitude, and you change your perception of what is happening, and in effect, you can make the world a better place for yourself. Whether you are able to actually change the world or the attitudes of others in the process is another matter.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Present awareness wrote: June 14th, 2018, 6:36 am “The sky is blue” you say it and I say it,but how can we know that the colour that I’m seeing is the same colour that you’re seeing? The only thing we know for sure is that whatever colour we see, we call that blue. Everything that you experience and perceive, is your own personal reality, 8 billion people, 8 billion realities.
Science? You know, measure the stuff. How the data is experienced doesn’t change the input, regardless of,the bariety of possible experiences due to how, and if, all the data is processed and felt by the individual. This is why believing you can fly doesn’t make you sprout wings and fly off into the sun set ... although you may think you are doing so.

Then we step into metaphysics of what if I am the dream of a dream, and such mystical thoughts.
AKA badgerjelly
MrE
New Trial Member

Post by MrE »

chewybrian wrote: June 14th, 2018, 7:35 am
MrE wrote: June 13th, 2018, 1:34 pm Your perception is your reality, however this differs from physical reality.

This is a great example to show the need for and power of something like stoic philosophy. You can't alter the outside world (at least, usually not enough to change the situation to fit your desires--in fact, your actions may have the opposite effect of the one you intended). However, you can change your desires to fit the situation. Remember, too, that others act from their own perceptions; it's almost never about you!

You do have nearly full control over your attitude. Change your attitude, and you change your perception of what is happening, and in effect, you can make the world a better place for yourself. Whether you are able to actually change the world or the attitudes of others in the process is another matter.
Agreed. It is more difficult to change external factors as they are not under your control. You can change internal factors - yourself. You can control your thoughts, emotions, behaviors, which then begin to change your perceptions and reality. A quote I like is "When you begin to change the way you look at things, the things you look at begin to change."

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream