Pain in Truth

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.

Pain in Truth

Post Number:#1  Postby Lark_Truth » May 15th, 2017, 10:06 am

Ever hear a story where all of the lies and illusions that a character in a story has are stripped away from them so that they can see what really was going on, and then it gets rather emotional because the revealing of that truth is painful to that character? Sometimes this situation happens in real life as well, not just in stories.
Humans are very emotional creatures; we hope, we laugh, we love, we cry, and we tremble with fear. All in response to a stimulus that provokes such responses from us that we are subject to in our every-day interaction with life.
The truth is merely reality as it is. What really happened? How things really are? Who are we? So why do we have such strong painful and emotional reactions to reality?
Is it the knowledge/realization that we've been lied to? Betrayed? Deluded and naive? Wronged?

Why is the truth so painful and heart wrenching?
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Lark_Truth

Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Pain in Truth

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Re: Pain in Truth

Post Number:#2  Postby Dolphin42 » May 15th, 2017, 11:38 am

Are you talking about all of reality, Lark? Or just some bits of it?

I honestly don't think I find the truth about all of reality painful. For example, it is a reality that Tottenham Hotspur beat Manchester United 2:1 yesterday. That really happened. I don't find it painful.
Dolphin42

Post Number:#3  Postby Lark_Truth » May 16th, 2017, 2:43 pm

Okay, perhaps I should clarify.

No, I didn't mean *all* of reality, just the parts that shake our emotional foundations to the core and determine our confidence in ourselves and others. Obviously there are a good many truths which are good and bring joy to all of our lives, but the ones I discussed in the previous sentence are the ones which I am referring to.
Take for instance a situation where you find that someone that you have put all of your trust and love into has suddenly turned around and betrayed you. Emotionally painful right?
Truth is Power. Reason is Wisdom. Intelligence is Experience. Hope is Bright!
Lark_Truth

Favorite Philosopher: Brandon Sanderson

Post Number:#4  Postby Dolphin42 » May 16th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Yes indeed. Emotionally painful. If it's these particular emotionally painful events that you're talking about then I'm not quite sure why, in your OP, you ask the question: "Why is the truth so painful and heart wrenching?". It's painful and heart wrenching because you've decided to consider the painful and heart wrenching parts.
Dolphin42

Return to General Philosophy