Possibilities vs Certainties

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eaglerising
Favorite Philosopher: Jiddu Krishnamurti

Possibilities vs Certainties

Post by Eaglerising »

Is it more important to view something as a certainty rather than as a possibility? I ask this question because most of the discussions on this forum are anchored to certainties. In other words, one certainty opposing an opposite certainty, neither considering the other’s view or the possibility that both are wrong or inaccurate.

What prevents both from examining the subject “freshly,” as if it was being examined for the first time? Are we capable to examining something free of any judgment?
Burning ghost

Re: Possibilities vs Certainties

Post by Burning ghost »

I like you :)

Keep going and keep digging ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

Thank you Burning ghost for your kind words.
Phenomexistentialist
New Trial Member

Post by Phenomexistentialist »

I agree with you that possibility is more important than certainty. For starters, certainty at a philosophical level at least is almost impossible. Outside of cogito ergo sum, which basically lead Descartes nowhere else certain, there's real no consensus on any particular philosophical position that has reached certainty at all. We were just talking about Hussel in another thread, and my take on him is that his project is roughly another Cartesian quest for certainty and an ultimately ground. I don't think Husserl fairs much better.

To me, better to rule out whats is IMpossible and then examine the live options for what seems most plausible given the evidence.

For example, assuming we agreed on a definition, do we have free will? A person may feel certain about it based on dogma or intuition, but I don't think either position has been philosophically proven in a scientific way beyond any doubt at all or with a 100% amount of surgery. And that's ok!

Is it morally wrong for me to spend a lot of money on strip clubs while people are starving in the street outside. Yeah, it probably is, but there's not certain proof of this, and opinions will differ (i.e. its my hard earned money and I have the moral right to do with it as I please; nor am I morally responsible for the fact that the person outside is homeless). Now, if we do think it is probably immoral, we have two choices, of course: to do what we are under the belief - but not certain - is the more moral course of action; or to ignore the philosophical evidence that spend money on the strip club instead. But we have no certainty here because there are counter-rational arguments, and we don't ascribe to mere intuition or dogma has philosophers.
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

Phanomexistentialist – What a handle. Are you a Hispanic philosopher existentiaist?

Regarding "free will". You can gain the understanding of free will by experiencing it. Once you experience it, you no longer have to believe or disbelieve in it.
But for now, I will say this, free will is a choice between the will of thought and the will of the spirit that occupies your body. To experience it, you have to meditate and see what happens. Eventually though trial and error you'll be able to distinguish the will of thought and the will of consciousness. Hint, thought is more dominate then consciousness and fragmented. Thus, you make wiser choices choosing the will of consciousness rather than thought.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Phenomexistentialist wrote:I agree with you that possibility is more important than certainty. For starters, certainty at a philosophical level at least is almost impossible. Outside of cogito ergo sum, which basically lead Descartes nowhere else certain, there's real no consensus on any particular philosophical position that has reached certainty at all.
There is a difference between psychological, subjective certainty and epistemological, objective certainty. They are independent of each other, because my being certain that p doesn't entail its being certain that p, and its being certain that p doesn't entail my being certain that p.
It is fair to say that there is no objective certainty in philosophy, especially in metaphysics.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Eaglerising

Post by Eaglerising »

Consul –
There is a difference between psychological, subjective certainty and epistemological, objective certainty. They are independent of each other, because my being certain that p doesn't entail its being certain that p, and its being certain that p doesn't entail my being certain that p.
I feel you may have missed my point about certainty vs possibilities. Yes, I am aware of the various types of certainty, The view of all of them are different from possibilities. There is a "conclusion" associated with every type of certainty. On the other hand, a conclusion isn't associated with possibilities. In fact it stimulates additional questions and possibilities. In other words a possibility is an on going and never-ending journey. Something new is learned each step of the way.

Consul –
It is fair to say that there is no objective certainty in philosophy, especially in metaphysics.
That depends on what is doing the viewing, thought or consciousness. Consciousness (not thought) sees metaphysics and religion as opposite sides of the same coin.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

If we cannot know we cannot know. If we can know then maybe we will or will not.
AKA badgerjelly
Phenomexistentialist
New Trial Member

Eaglerising wrote:Is it more important to view something as a certainty rather than as a possibility? I ask this question because most of the discussions on this forum are anchored to certainties. In other words, one certainty opposing an opposite certainty, neither considering the other’s view or the possibility that both are wrong or inaccurate.

What prevents both from examining the subject “freshly,” as if it was being examined for the first time? Are we capable to examining something free of any judgment?
To me, Descartes's quest for epistemological certitude was a philosophical dead end. It proved his own existence and... not a whole lot else really, which is a pretty poor epistemological state to be in.

I think we are much better off looking for not just possibilities, but also likelihoods and probabilities and such, rather than certainties.
Prothero

Post by Prothero »

With all there is to "know" and "experience" in the world, no single human can know or experience more than a tiny fraction, so a little humility about "certain" knowledge is probably in order.
In the larger view, nature seems to be a matter of potentials becoming actualities (at least on the quantum scale), the future consists of possibilities (or potentials) and the past consists of actualities (certainties) so there may be a lesion in nature as well.
Phenomexistentialist
New Trial Member

Consul wrote: There is a difference between psychological, subjective certainty and epistemological, objective certainty. They are independent of each other, because my being certain that p doesn't entail its being certain that p, and its being certain that p doesn't entail my being certain that p.
Oh, definitely, definitely! Totally agree.
Consul wrote:It is fair to say that there is no objective certainty in philosophy, especially in metaphysics.
Hmmm... You may be right, but you don't even think the "cogito ergo sum" is pretty much an epistemological certainty?

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream