Dimensions of infinity

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
SamuelVIII
New Trial Member

Dimensions of infinity

Post by SamuelVIII »

It has become clear, the apparent universe is not infinite, not with a start date for the Big Bang anyway. But stop to consider the Big Bang in terms of infinity; what makes it Big. Can it even be Big, within infinity, can anything?
Studies have shown a faint electrical spark at the conception of both mice and men; may we assume all life starts so? And if it does, then consider infinity; size is only a matter of perception. If the Earth were but an electron, spinning around in what may seem a tiny organism, in another dimension; a sperm perhaps, or an egg. What if somewhere within infinity, the Milky Way was a sperm, and Andromeda an egg, or vice versa; is there about to be a pretty big bang, or just a faint spark? I would say both.
This would make the universe, or dimension, as we see it, but a single life form, and every life form within it, a universe or dimension of its own. Is this not infinity?
Shanor
New Trial Member

Re: Dimensions of infinity

Post by Shanor »

You might want to be a little bit more clear on just what you consider "infinity". Because infinity is just a computer making sense of a number that is to large to compute. There is no true never-ending number or space or energy or anything really, and size is definitely relative. just as anything we see as truth, that truth changes depending upon the person.

You are getting a bit too poetic and theoretical when you started adding those what if's to your questions. infinity would not be this. there is a finite number of everything this universe and dimension can hold so there would never be a true infinity within the ideology.

If I misunderstood something about what you asked, please tell me so that I can tell you my answer to that.
SamuelVIII
New Trial Member

Post by SamuelVIII »

Sorry about the poetry, it's in my soul. I used the term infinity to define The Universe, which to me is distinct from the observable universe. This universe I see as finite, given we have a start date, and as a dimension of The Universe. All life forms within the apparent universe are also dimensions, and apparent universes to their unseen inhabitants.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

SamuelVIII wrote:Sorry about the poetry, it's in my soul. I used the term infinity to define The Universe, which to me is distinct from the observable universe. This universe I see as finite, given we have a start date, and as a dimension of The Universe. All life forms within the apparent universe are also dimensions, and apparent universes to their unseen inhabitants.

I actually like the word infinity. It seems so grand – noble. Kind of comforting – our universe is infinite – our God is infinite – my potential is infinite. Anyway, I think we can describe the concept of infinity – but we don’t really know it. We don’t experience infinity – we approximate it. For all we know space does not go on forever. Maybe, we travel out a bazillion light years and hit a wall. After which nothing else exists – nothing. That would be interesting. Who’s to know – have any probes come back – yet? Maybe we live in a giant box – and there is nothing outside the box. You know infinity is supposed to travel in both directions – in and out. Maybe we look so far inward and the come to a wall. Nothing more – nothing gets smaller. What do you think?

As far as the big bang – I think it is weak speculation.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

SamuelVIII wrote:It has become clear, the apparent universe is not infinite, not with a start date for the Big Bang anyway. But stop to consider the Big Bang in terms of infinity; what makes it Big. Can it even be Big, within infinity, can anything?
Studies have shown a faint electrical spark at the conception of both mice and men; may we assume all life starts so? And if it does, then consider infinity; size is only a matter of perception. If the Earth were but an electron, spinning around in what may seem a tiny organism, in another dimension; a sperm perhaps, or an egg. What if somewhere within infinity, the Milky Way was a sperm, and Andromeda an egg, or vice versa; is there about to be a pretty big bang, or just a faint spark? I would say both.
This would make the universe, or dimension, as we see it, but a single life form, and every life form within it, a universe or dimension of its own. Is this not infinity?
I believe this is known as "stoner philosophy" :)

Actually, the idea reminds me of Roger Penrose talking about how in quintillions of years' time all stars, planets, debris and black holes will have dissipated and there will only exist photons zipping about, further from each other than the entire size of today's universe. They will be increasingly be alone in complete nothingness. No atoms, electrons, dark matter, just photons effectively alone.

Who then is to say that this photon is not a universe unto itself? There is no measure or benchmark, no laws of physics acting on the photon aside from perhaps its own gradual dissipation. Each photon is effectively all there is, a mini universe unto itself. Maybe (and this is mine, not Penrose's) the big bang is a photon in space, finally moving so far away from other photons that there's no possible functional interrelation, no forces to hold it together. So it explodes/inflates as it's torn apart by the dark energy ...
SamuelVIII
New Trial Member

Post by SamuelVIII »

Woodart wrote:
SamuelVIII wrote:Sorry about the poetry, it's in my soul. I used the term infinity to define The Universe, which to me is distinct from the observable universe. This universe I see as finite, given we have a start date, and as a dimension of The Universe. All life forms within the apparent universe are also dimensions, and apparent universes to their unseen inhabitants.

I actually like the word infinity. It seems so grand – noble. Kind of comforting – our universe is infinite – our God is infinite – my potential is infinite. Anyway, I think we can describe the concept of infinity – but we don’t really know it. We don’t experience infinity – we approximate it. For all we know space does not go on forever. Maybe, we travel out a bazillion light years and hit a wall. After which nothing else exists – nothing. That would be interesting. Who’s to know – have any probes come back – yet? Maybe we live in a giant box – and there is nothing outside the box. You know infinity is supposed to travel in both directions – in and out. Maybe we look so far inward and the come to a wall. Nothing more – nothing gets smaller. What do you think?

As far as the big bang – I think it is weak speculation.
Sometimes I glimpse infinity, I see the grass, the trees, some rabbits, and all the dimensions interacting; I've stopped swatting flies. Our universe is finite, but The Universe isn't; we may speculate, but probably never comprehend The Universe. I don't believe we can go on, in any direction, and then come to nothing, as nothing would contain no dimension; there would be nowhere to put it; or, if it was there, we could never detect it.
The big bang and the spark of conception are the exact same thing, from different perspectives.
Reading your post I find a very familiar thought train, it makes perfect sense, and you ask the right questions. I was asking myself such questions, when I was hit by one of those, rare little bursts of euphoric knowledge, from which sprung my next few years of thought, and eventually these conclusions.
SamuelVIII
New Trial Member

Post by SamuelVIII »

Greta wrote:
SamuelVIII wrote:It has become clear, the apparent universe is not infinite, not with a start date for the Big Bang anyway. But stop to consider the Big Bang in terms of infinity; what makes it Big. Can it even be Big, within infinity, can anything?
I believe this is known as "stoner philosophy" :)

Actually, the idea reminds me of Roger Penrose talking about how in quintillions of years' time all stars, planets, debris and black holes will have dissipated and there will only exist photons zipping about, further from each other than the entire size of today's universe. They will be increasingly be alone in complete nothingness. No atoms, electrons, dark matter, just photons effectively alone.

Who then is to say that this photon is not a universe unto itself? There is no measure or benchmark, no laws of physics acting on the photon aside from perhaps its own gradual dissipation. Each photon is effectively all there is, a mini universe unto itself. Maybe (and this is mine, not Penrose's) the big bang is a photon in space, finally moving so far away from other photons that there's no possible functional interrelation, no forces to hold it together. So it explodes/inflates as it's torn apart by the dark energy ...
Funny you should say that, but not in 30 years
I don't think the photon could be a universe, more like a wandering star; on the other hand, if at any time it had what could have been perceived as a big bang or a conceptual spark, then I'd have no problem with it being a dimensional universe.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream