How the World Came About

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Being_1925

How the World Came About

Post by Being_1925 »

At any age a chance to know the cause of the world should not be wasted. The first phenomenon has to be the infinity of space as no border is possible. The next one is the great mass of energy, which is open for a name and might well be called god. The basic unit of energy can’t be detected but all are the same nature with some attraction that also can’t be detected. We have the opportunity to experience this energy as our soul for a lifetime. Units of energy can join up into any possible particles as an electron or proton. As the proton is in the nucleus of the atom circled by an electron, the bigger atoms have more protons with the corresponding electrons, how the periodic table of the elements shows. With its attraction we have matter that is visible in the stars and Milky Way.

We live on the planet earth which has the ideal condition for organic life and the creation of the cell. The great number of plants and animals show that every kind of plant and animal had a real chance to develop. Only man had the ideal body that allowed him to have a consciousness for everything. It was for the control of cell growth that plants needed a bloom and animals needed a male and female body, which now gives man a chance to have children by his conscience. For early man it depended on the insight of people to understand the connection of birth and death of human life. The bible gives a good picture of this understanding with the Ten Commandments. But then it needed an almighty being to create man, while the energy as soul has given man already consciousness. There can be no explaining of human existence without the acknowledgment of energy as the soul and atoms and cells for organic life.
Surreptitious57

Re: How the World Came About

Post by Surreptitious57 »

There is no need to refer to energy as the soul as it is a physical phenomenon
Human existence can also be explained without reference to such terminology
If man has a consciousness for everything why is our knowledge not absolute
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

There can be no explaining of human existence without the acknowledgment of energy as the soul and atoms and cells for organic life.
I agree with Surreptitious. If energy is the soul then a power station would have more of a soul than a person. The "cells" of organic life are simply cells :) - essentially colonies of small beings that make us us. Literal interpretations aside, you appear to be alluding to the idea that energy itself is, or provides the spark for, life.

No doubt life is all about processing energy. However, if you want to find a soul, you won't find it in our energy (which is basically food processed by the gut) but in our individual natural tendencies, instincts and higher executive functions, including morality. There is energy and there are its configurations. The configurations - the information/patterns - of energy are, I think, closer to what you are looking for.
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

There is nothing in all of science that points in the direction of a god being necessary to create people or any other life form.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Fan of Science wrote:There is nothing in all of science that points in the direction of a god being necessary to create people or any other life form.
Then again ... the inevitable result of any evolution that manages to pass 'the great filter" (which may filter us out) will inevitably become godlike to our perception.

What spurs evolutionary novelty and intelligence are survival challenges. Each challenge that humans (or whatever we become) overcomes will result in significant technological advancement. If we survive current challenges, another huge difficulty awaits - the Sun's heating up prior to expansion to a Red Giant. Eventually some humans, or whatever we become, will leave Earth, presumably to Mars and Titan, while working on interstellar travel technology. If practical interstellar travel is mastered - admittedly, seemingly a long way off - then that makes continued survival and advancement of intelligent species much more likely. By that stage, asteroids and comets would be comfortably controlled.

A species that mastered interstellar travel could conceivably continue evolving for trillions of years, continually advancing as new dangers are met. Over those trillions of years, apparently galaxies will start being pulled apart by dark energy, leaving only supermassive black holes with a diminishing accretion disc remaining. The only way life - or whatever unimaginable thing/s it would become over trillions of years - could then persist as interconnected incorporeal entities, capable of gaining energy from any environment. Basically a deity that would perhaps be capable of shaping new big bangs. If ultra-advanced life forms evolved over such long periods don't become incorporeal (to our perspective) then they don't survive. It surely won't be as simple as wireless versions of a digitised human consciousness, with solid structures being created in material that we cannot currently control. This will be feasible in temperatures close to absolute zero.

Of course, when we heap supposition upon supposition as I just did, any of those stages could mean the end. So I know it's closer to sci fi than philosophy or science. However, given the probabilities in a universe with so many galaxies brimming with stars and planets, it would only take one successful journey out of (probably) billions of instances for such a quasi Omega Point deity-like being to evolve. Just one out many billions needs to make it, so it's not nearly as far-fetched an idea than we may otherwise suppose.

After all, there was presumably no hint that humanity would emerge from an Earth a few billion years' ago populated only by microbes, and humans seems godlike by comparison.
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

That's the claim behind the series by Arthur C. Clark, with the computer Hal, and the monoliths --- that evolution could produce a "god." Even assuming that were true, that still does not refute my point, that there is nothing in science that requires a god. In fact, science looks for natural explanations, and has done very well for itself by doing so.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Fan of Science wrote:That's the claim behind the series by Arthur C. Clark, with the computer Hal, and the monoliths --- that evolution could produce a "god." Even assuming that were true, that still does not refute my point, that there is nothing in science that requires a god. In fact, science looks for natural explanations, and has done very well for itself by doing so.

I agree there is no requirement for God in science. In addition I would say there is no requirement for God at all. It is a matter of personal choice. God cannot be proved or disproved by any empirical evidence. Does that mean that God does not exist? No, it does not. The reverse is also true. Each person makes a claim for the affirmative or negative based upon evidence and evaluation judgements of that evidence.

Some people assert that the bible tells them so – and they believe it. Some people claim to have direct communication with God. I do not believe in bibles – they are man-made stories. Some of the stories have wisdom and I accept the wisdom – as I see it. I do not believe God has talked to man – ever.

However, I do believe God exists. I see a somewhat organized universe. The laws of physics seem very consistent. We have a nice planet which is an extension of an organized universe and laws of physics. We have consciousness and inside our consciousness we have emotions – particularly love. This life is very lucky – too lucky in my estimation. I am suspicious of too much luck.
Being_1925

Post by Being_1925 »

Greta wrote:
There can be no explaining of human existence without the acknowledgment of energy as the soul and atoms and cells for organic life.
I agree with Surreptitious. If energy is the soul then a power station would have more of a soul than a person. The "cells" of organic life are simply cells :) - essentially colonies of small beings that make us us. Literal interpretations aside, you appear to be alluding to the idea that energy itself is, or provides the spark for, life.

No doubt life is all about processing energy. However, if you want to find a soul, you won't find it in our energy (which is basically food processed by the gut) but in our individual natural tendencies, instincts and higher executive functions, including morality. There is energy and there are its configurations. The configurations - the information/patterns - of energy are, I think, closer to what you are looking for.
Energy is not only an electron, it is also warmth. So it is a wide range of what is possible with energy. Only with the brain cells can your soul know that it is your soul. No conscious god could create man for no reason, just to send them to Hell or Heaven. The great mass of energy also exists without a particular reason, but because it can't escape existence it did create the atom and the elements and that gives the great mass of energy a place to stay in all the galaxies, suns, and planets.

On Earth there is, with the cell, the possibility of organic life. The safety of this organic life depends on the human mind. But, this mind has the chance for experience over the centuries to what is good and what can be hoped for in the human life. There is also the well known equation, matter equals energy, that is true without exception and that must involve the soul.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream