Why truth-by-default is a game-changer for humanity

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
TheDreamWeaver
New Trial Member

Why truth-by-default is a game-changer for humanity

Post by TheDreamWeaver »

When people first come into the world they are bound to believe everything that they are first told. Then they grow up in a broken world that trains them to favor suspicion from the outset. It can be said that truth-by-default is innate, evident by crooks who happily remind themselves that “there’s a sucker born every minute”. There has been a logical form of deduction hiding under mankind’s nose for millennia which is based upon the mind’s natural inclination. With all of the great thinkers this world has seen it’s completely baffling that nobody has considered this before.

Does anyone disagree that the method described here is genuinely novel?

Mankind’s biggest problem can be described as an inability to resolve disagreements intelligently. Imagine if all people could put universal trust into a simple method that’s capable of unambiguously, non-subjectively, and unanimously rendering a Boolean outcome (i.e. TRUE/FALSE) for any assertion. It would be tough for someone to argue that the world would not become a better place by ridding mistakes from the way that people make decisions and form beliefs. Here are some of today’s best methods for collective adjudication.

Democracy — Opinion tallies are great for subjective matters, such as promoting songs or videos. However it shouldn’t take much effort to convince everyone that democracy is unsuitable for important decision-making. If “mission control” took a vote before pressing the launch-button it could marginalize someone who possesses information that’s capable of averting a catastrophe. Democracy gives people permission to push ahead with contentious endeavors in the face of blatant objections.

Leadership — Democracy is often used to elect the popular, other times leaders take their positions by force. In either case a single fallible human is expected to make important decisions which affect everyone else.

Question and Answer Websites — Popular Q&A websites utilize a combination of democracy and unilateral responses from the questions’ authors for determining the best answers and popular rebuttals. Blending two approaches which contain flaws does not cancel out the mistakes. However it has proven to work well because, unlike a blog, there’s at least a definitive outcome.

Blogs — Blogs are great because everyone has an equal voice without involving democracy. Its shortcoming is that there’s no framework for producing unambiguous outcomes. Everyone tells each other why they are right and this seldom changes anyone’s mind.

Wikis — Wikis have certainly improved the way in which people collectively assimilate information. The problem is that moderators unilaterally settle disputes by deciding what information is allowed to remain. Their reasoning is customarily absent and there’s little recourse for those who wish to express important objections.

An Invaluable Bias
The reason why truth-by-default is so important is because it contains a bias. Without this there can be no definitive outcome which is why all of the methods listed above must contain one. However in all aforementioned examples, it’s the opinions of particular people which break ties rather than a universal mindset.

If a bias is so valuable then people may be wondering why not embrace false-by-default? This doesn’t work because people are not given the benefit of any doubt, nor does it model the mentality of trusting toddlers. However the main problem is this. If things do not begin as true then where does “right” come from? Who gets to say what’s valid or not if everyone starts out as being wrong? It’s like a black hole which cannot be escaped without the help (not) of a strongman or authority.

It’s philosophically impossible for someone derive “right” (unless something wrong is contradicted) however, the same cannot be said about the inverse. Everyone naturally agrees upon what constitutes a mistake because nobody will argue that hypocrisy is acceptable. Once a person can be shown to argue against themselves it will almost always result in them conceding or leaving.

The Intelligence Algorithm

Undoubtedly, naming this method “the Intelligence Algorithm” is bold and the claim is likely to draw ire. One can only hope because anything that brings attention to this discussion would be a positive outcome. Here are some supporting reasons that skeptics are invited to discredit.
  • Intelligence can be described as measure or capability for making good decisions.
  • If people learn from their mistakes then they should teach by them.
  • If it’s not the most intelligent way to reach collective decisions then people would have to say (-) what’s wrong (+) why which would mean that they’re fundamentally using the process to help people decide.
  • This claim doesn’t have to be proven or endorsed by anyone of stature because it’s true-by-default by means of its own reasoning.
  • Open source software has been developed around this method (hosted on GitHub - HIPI-Project/HIPI), creating a platform for resolving disagreements.
Fundamentals

Truth by default: All statements, beliefs, and contradictions begin in a state of true/proven. It can be said that everyone is relatively right in the moment given their personal contexts, genetics, and life experiences. All new entries begins in a state of true, regardless of what words they’re comprised of, because they’re closest to the imagination which conceives them. People are always given the benefit of the doubt from the outset, even with junk/spam. Critics find the last part unappealing but they should remember that such submissions are easy to contradict.

Contradictions have dual polarity: Statements or beliefs are used to build up ideas with a single, positive polarity. Contrarily, contradictions are used to tear down other beliefs, or other contradictions, and must contain a dual polarity. (i.e. CANT / BECAUSE). Because all statements are true-by-default, regardless of what characters/letters are used, it’s essential that humans explicitly distinguish between beliefs and contradictions by means of single or double polarity.

Game of attrition: Because contradictions are true-by-default it means that the one who gives the last word wins. All entries, including beliefs, reciprocate between defense/offense or trusting/skeptical. Whenever someone is forced into making unappealing arguments they typically quit (sometimes out of spite) and render a victor. For contentious issues that are debated collectively, there will typically be a period where the outcome exists in flux. The frequency in which this reciprocates can be said to resemble a form of democracy. Most issues will eventually settle, leaning one way or another. Highly divisive issues which perpetually oscillate indicate a personal preference/opinion rather than a universal truth, something suitable for voting instead.

It only takes one: It only takes one contradiction to invalidate any entry (belief or contradiction). As powerful as they might be it’s important to remember that they’re subjected to the same rules. Similarly, a single voice has the power to stop a rocket launch in “mission control”. This property is vital for group endeavors because it gives everyone equal power. Take this away and people will resort to things like terrorism as a way of drawing attention to their plight.

Beliefs also reciprocate: Contradictions are used to invalidate (more like delete) beliefs or other contradictions. If people communicate by means of single polarity, it can be said they are having a dialog rather than a dispute. One person is always the driver but this can quickly switch. The rules are nearly the same as with contradictions except that beliefs reciprocate between “in question” and “answered”.

Tree formations: Contradictions and beliefs often times grow into tree formations, meaning that an entry may contain multiple children. However there’s one important distinction between the two. When an entry has been contradicted it’s effectively deleted and therefore it cannot accept additional contradictions. In other words, “you shouldn’t kick a man when he’s down”. This is important for group systems because it has a way of preventing illegitimate manipulation. If software didn’t observe this property it would be possible for someone to contradict a statement many times over and effectively bury it by means of brute-force instead of logic.

Contradictions are Timeless: Contradictions exhibit dual polarity (i.e. CANT/BECAUSE) which forms a “closed loop” for self-containing context. Single-polarity statements, used within a dialog, rely upon the previous “x” statements to establish such context. This is important because any information system accepting contradictions may augment a global pool and reapply across diverse subjects for all time. This gives rise to systems which become more intelligent over time. Conversations at a dinner table quickly meander and group dialogs are no different. There’s no way to reuse logic across separate domains with all of the adjudication methods listed above. For example, great thoughts added to a blog frequently become buried under pagination which causes people to repeat themselves. Machines are supposed to help humans eliminate repetition and this is one of the most powerful ways to accomplish that with regards to language and logic.

Time favors the intelligent: Think about two opposing partisan people in a coffee shop echoing back their party’s talking points. Each one knows what the other is going to say long before they finish and find it nearly irresistible to interrupt. What happens if someone says something which is truly intelligent and completely novel? It makes the other person think. An opponent may roll their eyes back and stare at the ceiling, trying to think of a response which doesn’t sound foolish. Because this algorithm always yields a definitive outcome, it can be said that intelligent thoughts will sway the balance with a higher frequency compared to the unimaginative and uninformed.

Examples

— (false) Belief: I HAVE SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO SAY.

— — (true) Contradiction: (-) You can’t type in all caps if you have something important to say (+) because people interpret that as a metaphor for shouting.

— — — (false) Contradiction: (-) You can’t say that I meant to shout by using all caps (+) because that is how I normally type.

— — — — (true) Contradiction: (-) You can’t disregard ways in which people could misunderstand your intent (+) because your goal should be to reach the largest possible audience when you have something important to say.

— (true) Belief: The world is round.

— — (false) Contradiction: (-) You can’t say that the world is round (+) because ships that sail out to sea fall off of the edge.

— — — (true) Contradiction: (-) You can’t say that ships fall off of the edge of a flat Earth when they sail out to sea (+) because there are many reasons to explain how a ship could sink or get lost in a large ocean on a round Earth.

— — (false) Contradiction: (-) You can’t say that the world is round (+) because if I hold up a straight edge to the horizon the two objects are aligned.

— — — (true) Contradiction: (-) You can’t say that an appearance of a flat horizon is evidence of a flat Earth (+) because a small ant standing on an extremely large ball would perceive a flat surface with a 360 degree view.
Surreptitious57

Re: Why truth-by-default is a game-changer for humanity

Post by Surreptitious57 »

What you have referenced here would actually work better for machines. They just think logically whereas humans think logically
and emotionally. Also humans tend to think more individually than collectively. So for what you are suggesting to work we would
have to think more logically and collectively rather than emotionally and individually and significantly so. Some of what you have
referenced is happening anyway. However one should not expect Utopia any time soon or indeed any time at all so therefore any
goal if it is to be successful must be grounded in pragmatism and not idealism. For pragmatic solutions actually work. Remember
civilisation is an eternal work in progress. The aim should be to reduce imperfection from any pragmatic perspective in whichever
form that takes rather than seek perfection. Progress is guaranteed for we are fundamentally a problem solving species. And it is
how society advances. The application of imagination and willpower and money in sufficient quantity will definitely guarantee this
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
TheDreamWeaver
New Trial Member

Post by TheDreamWeaver »

Surrepitious57, first off I can't express how happy I am that you replied. You're the first person has provided a thoughtful response to this methodology which I discovered roughly 6 years ago. Please stay engaged and tell me why I'm wrong so that I can either stop pursuing a crazy dream, or so that I can turn a skeptic into a believer.
What you have referenced here would actually work better for machines. They just think logically whereas humans think logically
and emotionally. Also humans tend to think more individually than collectively. So for what you are suggesting to work we would
have to think more logically and collectively rather than emotionally and individually and significantly so.
I agree with everything that you just said. That's why I designed software around the process to keep people grounded... to ensure that everyone remains logical when a disagreement occurs. I put the prototype online 10 days ago after many years of intense R&D and I can't wait until people recognize the magnitude of its potential (GitHub - HIPI-Project/HIPI). People get emotional in verbal debates or on forums, but its no way to win a war of contradictions under such a framework. People might rage-quit after losing a debate, but everyone else will still see the outcome (which anyone is welcome to change).
However one should not expect Utopia any time soon or indeed any time at all so therefore any goal if it is to be successful must be grounded in pragmatism and not idealism. For pragmatic solutions actually work.
What if there was a pragmatic solution which is incredibly simple, but people just don't know what it is yet? I may have lost your trust at this point for suggesting something so outrageous, but I can promise you that I have many simple ideas which nobody has ever considered before. If people don't give up I will be able to show them where all of this leads and get everyone to agree. Sounds impossible I know, but you can't imagine what a 6 year obsession is capable of producing when one knows how to effectively use the Intelligence Algorithm... I'm finally ready to share the ideas. I can't guarantee that I'm right, just that the ideas are currently free of mistakes.

You mentioned utopia... here's what it looks like. When the people find out that the answer to their problems is collaboration instead of competition the world will quickly (more or less) heal. Open Source has shown us a surprising alternative to capitalism and communism. It just appeared in the last couple decades as a consequence of the internet and most people still have no idea what it is or why people would be willing to "work for free". It's a blip on the radar of human history and it has demonstrated its superiority to closed-source/competition in nearly every instance that it has been allowed to compete (even in a time when people need to make money). Once a relatively small group demonstrate that it's possible to thrive without the use of money it will become extremely contagious... it will be the turning point.

There's no job which a person does today which machines cannot eventually replace. People have to admit that there will be no way for the masses to make money (divide their labor) because machines are destined to take away repetitive chores. Without money there can be no taxation and therefore no government. Bad guys will be managed in a non-authoritative manner. For example bio-metric "black flags" will show up when a smartphone is held up to the crowd or a stranger at the door. If someone hits a "help" button it would attract rubber-neckers nearby to observe, and record video (attached to "black flags"). Prisons cannot exist because there will be no such thing as authority (based upon rights).
Remember civilisation is an eternal work in progress. The aim should be to reduce imperfection from any pragmatic perspective in whichever form that takes rather than seek perfection.
Yes, exactly. The aim should be "mistake avoidance". This is the conduit which will take mankind where it needs to go. Our world today is based upon "rights" and it has become a mess. Government could never stand on a Bill of Wrongs because it would clearly expose hypocrisy.
Surreptitious57

Post by Surreptitious57 »

One of the problems with your idea is that the larger the demographic the greater the possibility of failure. Because the greater the
number of people involved the more diverse the range of opinions. Also have you taken out a patent because if you have not there
is no legal protection if someone decides to steal your idea and become very rich from it. Though I think that the basic aspects are
so general that claiming them as your own may be going too far. For there is co operation in the ways you suggest anyway on the
Internet which is the greatest disseminator of ideas ever. What you are suggesting is how to positively enhance this so I wish you
the very best and hope that you are truly successful
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
TheDreamWeaver
New Trial Member

Post by TheDreamWeaver »

One of the problems with your idea is that the larger the demographic the greater the possibility of failure. Because the greater the
number of people involved the more diverse the range of opinions.
S57, you bring up a great point. There's a difference between ideas or assertions which lead to universal truths versus opinions. The software has a concept of frequency which is a great indicator, however it's not too hard to predict which way the outcome will sway.

Opinions - Everyone is right within their own personal and temporary contexts. However sometimes it's not possible for everyone to agree upon what that means. For example, if I make an assertion, using the Intelligence Algorithm, which claims "The Beatles are the best band ever.", it would always yield a Boolean outcome. If one thousand random people were invited to the debate it would cause the outcome to oscillate between True/False, revealing a frequency that leans to one side or the other. This frequency is akin to democracy, a concept which is well suited for quantifying personal preferences (such as "I like buttons").

Universal Truths - On some matters it's possible to get everyone's beliefs to perfectly align. For example... if I assert "The rocket is ready to go to the moon", that is not a subjective belief. If anyone raises a contradiction it's important to contradict (possibly recursively) until the endeavor is relatively flawless (back to its original state of TRUE).

The point of this algorithm and software is to find universal truths. While assertions have a bias towards TRUE, opinions have a bias towards FALSE. It may seem like a tall order, but remember that contradictions are timeless and can be automatically reapplied across diverse subjects (assuming that they're not wrong). The same arguments do not need to be repeated and so it's possible for people to stand on the shoulders of others. Therefore, the example that I gave above would, in practice, quickly result in a state of FALSE. If someone tried to change the outcome they would wake up others who have rested their cases upon the same building block(s) from other subjects.

— (false) Belief: The Beatles are the best band ever.

— — (true) Contradiction (linked from 1524 other beliefs): (-) You can’t say that some piece of art/music is the best, worst, better, or worse (+) because that is a subjective matter. The Intelligence Algorithm is designed for finding ideas which settle upon being mistake-free for the collective. Since opinion-based assertions lead to outcomes which perpetually oscillate, they cannot be called flawless ideas.

The contradiction I just offered is not a rule enforced by the system, it's just something that I could get everyone to agree with (over time). That is, if the argument kept going people would eventually give up and let everyone else in the system rest their ideas on a solid building block.

Another thing which is not acceptable for collective deliberations are "maybes".

— (false) Belief: You can't say that the rocket will make it to the moon and back safely because there might be a failure which nobody can forsee

— — (true) Contradiction (linked from 2562 other beliefs): (-) You can’t use maybe's, might's, or could's in an intelligent debate (+) because everyone knows that stuff can go wrong. After all, it's impossible to be right, an important foundation of the Intelligence Algorithm. The rules of intelligence require people to get off of the fence and pick a side or else there can be no logical conclusion.

Also have you taken out a patent because if you have not there is no legal protection if someone decides to steal your idea and become very rich from it.
Patents need to go away because they are antagonistic to collaboration in an Open Source world. I would love to free myself from perpetual financial agony, but not at the expense of becoming a hypocrite. That being said, if someone stole these ideas and used them to profit from I would be genuinely thrilled. I've been burning the candle at both ends and don't know how to take this forward. That is how I arrived at this forum asking people for advice and criticism. My only goal is to make sure that these ideas proliferate.

Unless people put there trust in such a system it will be difficult to demonstrate that there's a clear pathway to Peace-on-Earth which cannot be contradicted (my primary objective). However, that's not the only way... if people want to keep this debate going in the forum it will eventually lead to unanimous agreements among the participants. I don't know how long it will take, but I promise not to give up until someone is able to find a single reason why anything I'm saying here is wrong.

What you are suggesting is how to positively enhance this so I wish you the very best and hope that you are truly successful
I wish I could hug you right now. This has been a six year endeavor and people have been cruel from the very outset, genuinely hoping for failure. We don't burn people at the stake these days for proposing revolutionary ideas (I don't think) because its so easy to just ignore and censor. My Achilles heel has been rage-quitters. I thought that completing the software platform would change things but now I realize that nobody will use it unless they first understand why it's so important. The only recourse I had left was to find philosophers and for the first time there are 2 productive dialogs going on in public forum with you and Greta.

Can you please keep trying to find flaws in the reasoning? You can even change the subject... I just need one-or-more people's attention to show them where this is all going. I realize that it's painful to be contradicted, but its the only way that I can change people's minds. I have literally contradicted myself thousands of times in software to be certain that I can share ideas with others that are impermeable to criticism. I just can't make people play.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream