Economic Analysis of Public Intellectuals

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Economic Analysis of Public Intellectuals

Post by Hereandnow »

I've skimmed through some of his stuff, and no, I don't particularly like it when some overplays an idea. But think, he is at least bringing people to the table of themes that only few could otherwise sit at. I do like it that he is getting people to think about atheism, ethics, values that professional philosophers and intellectuals have had exclusive rights to due to the abstruse nature of these ideas. And I don't care if he is unduly speculative and presumptuous. We need someone to open doors to the general public on these things, especially given today's disillusionment with anything that does not improve their Iphone performance or does not fit within the space of a twitter.
The man speculates. Why not go into the arguments rather than just calling him a hack. He is not a stupid man and, from what I have read, your comments are of the strawman variety.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Hereandnow:
But think, he is at least bringing people to the table of themes that only few could otherwise sit at.
Right, and I think this is a valuable function of the public intellectual.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Fan of Science wrote:Harris's statements in the Moral Landscape, as well as on many videos, clearly state that science, all by itself, can determine moral values. It's even in the subtitle to his book. Now, as quite often happens with Harris, he later on figures out that he screwed the pooch on an earlier claim. However, in Harris-speak, he never admits to having made an error, but, instead, insists he was merely misunderstood. Harris has made such claims on numerous faulty positions of his, including his claim that religious moderates are more dangerous than religious extremists, while lately conceding that we need religious moderates to fight the extremists. This is what happens when a person pretends to know something about the subjects he writes publicly about. Harris is no expert on history, economics, religion, sociology, law, and many other subjects he claims to be an expert in.

By the way, has Harris ever established any rational basis for being a moral realist? No. He simply assumes this position, while claiming that religious people who make similar assumptions are irrational. Rather odd duck on around.
Some thing is wrong with your views and intellectual integrity here which has been infected with confirmation bias. You have to read the book to give credible [agree or against] views.

The Moral Landscape: How Science Can Determine Human Values;
I think you have interpreted too much on the sub-title and did not bother to read the book;
Note the Intro [extract];
The people of Albania have a venerable tradition of vendetta called Kanun: if a man commits a murder, his victim’s family can kill any one of his male relatives in reprisal. If a boy has the misfortune of being the son or brother of a murderer, he must spend his days and nights in hiding, forgoing a proper education, adequate health care, and the pleasures of a normal life. Untold numbers of Albanian men and boys live as prisoners of their homes even now. 1 Can we say that the Albanians are morally wrong to have structured their society in this way? Is their tradition of blood feud a form of evil? Are their values inferior to our own?

Most people imagine that science cannot pose, much less answer, questions of this sort. How could we ever say, as a matter of scientific fact, that one way of life is better, or more moral, than another? Whose definition of “better” or “moral” would we use? While many scientists now study the evolution of morality, as well as its underlying neurobiology, the purpose of their research is merely to describe how human beings think and behave.

No one expects science to tell us how we ought to think and behave. Controversies about human values are controversies about which science officially has no opinion. 2

I will argue, however, that questions about values—about meaning, morality, and life’s larger purpose—are really questions about the well-being of conscious creatures. Values, therefore, translate into facts that can be scientifically understood: regarding positive and negative social emotions, retributive impulses, the effects of specific laws and social institutions on human relationships, the neurophysiology of happiness and suffering, etc.
I am not suggesting that we are guaranteed to resolve every moral controversy through science. Differences of opinion will remain—but opinions will be increasingly constrained by facts.
If you read the Harris' book, you will note he put a lot of restraint and limitation on Science, but the point he is not giving up that Science can contribute greatly to the question of morality.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Fan of Science

Post by Fan of Science »

I have read the book and own a copy. I also listened to a number of Harris videos that promoted the book. His claims were quite clear --- 1. that he assumed an objective morality existed, and 2. he claimed that science can answer moral questions all by itself. These are the facts. The fact Harris and his fan club are desperately trying to rewrite history and claim Harris never made these assertions is pathetic. Just goes to show the intellectual bankruptcy of the new-atheist movement.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Fan of Science wrote:I have read the book and own a copy. I also listened to a number of Harris videos that promoted the book. His claims were quite clear ---
1. that he assumed an objective morality existed, and
2. he claimed that science can answer moral questions all by itself.

These are the facts. The fact Harris and his fan club are desperately trying to rewrite history and claim Harris never made these assertions is pathetic. Just goes to show the intellectual bankruptcy of the new-atheist movement.
I would be interested to know where did he make the above claims [1 & 2 ] in his book. Provide some quotes and page number.

-- Updated Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:30 pm to add the following --

I don't believe Harris would make those assertions you claim he made.
Since I don't agree with what you are accusing him of and that Harris is still alive we can write to him to get him to confirm his views.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream