Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality - Anil Seth

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality - Anil Seth

Post by Spectrum »

Right now, billions of neurons in your brain are working together to generate a conscious experience -- and not just any conscious experience, your experience of the world around you and of yourself within it. How does this happen?

According to neuroscientist Anil Seth, we're all hallucinating all the time; when we agree about our hallucinations, we call it "reality."

Join Seth for a delightfully disorienting talk that may leave you questioning the very nature of your existence.
Does any one has a counter argument to the above hypothesis?
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
-1-

Re: Your brain hallucinates your conscious reality - Anil Se

Post by -1- »

I would call the work of the brain which maps the environment as reported by the senses and creates an internal model of it "interpretation", and not "hallucination". But hey, each to his own words.

That's A. B. is that our senses presumably give a "true to reality" signal to our brains. When a sensor sends the message to the brain "this object your hand touched is hot" is so because the object is hot. There is not much or there is no freedom of variation in the sensation and the sensory message. So the hallucination is determined, not altered or influenced by noise. Therefore hallucination may not be the best word to express the work the brain does on processing sensory information.
This search engine is powered by Hunger, Thirst, and a desperate need to Mate.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Powerful speaker and thinker. I hope he is right about AI - I really don't want it to succeed - I think it is playing with fire - we shall see. I would call him a type of phenomenologist and existentialist. I largely agree with him. I always like the quote of "Reality is nothing but a collective hunch." - Lily Tomlin
Prothero

Post by Prothero »

There is a reason why we distinguish "hallucinations" and "dreams" from "reality" but apparently the difference can be lost on some.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

-1- wrote:I would call the work of the brain which maps the environment as reported by the senses and creates an internal model of it "interpretation", and not "hallucination". But hey, each to his own words.
There is a very complicated process [say process X] that gives us a range of perceptions depending on the circumstances they are triggered, i.e.
  • 1. imaginations - by conscious thinking/imagine it
    2. dreams - triggered during dreams
    3. consciously perceiving an apple on table.
    4. Others types of perceptions
Note perceptions 1-4 share the same process X.
Within 4-Others there is a type of perception called hallucinations.

The logic:
  • All perceptions are generated by process X
    Process X generated hallucinations
    Therefore all perceptions are hallucinations.
What the above implies is imagination are generated by process X which also generate hallucinations. therefore imagination is hallucination but this is a form of controlled hallucination. Normal dreams are also hallucinations but they are not controlled. hallucinations. Conscious perceptions is also a form of hallucinations but albeit a controlled one.
Thus we can say hallucinations via mental illness, drugs, etc. are uncontrolled hallucinations or perceptions.

This agree with Anil Seth proposition;
"we're all hallucinating all the time; when we agree about our hallucinations, we call it 'reality.' "

The above is seemingly rhetorical, but bringing perceptions [of reality, dreams, from sickness, induced. etc.] into a common denominator in terms of the degree of controlled or uncontrolled hallucinations is significant to understand how the brain works in all these occurrences.

This is critical in philosophy for the philosophical-anti-realist position and also for the non-theistic philosophies which is supposed more realistic and rational.

That's A. B. is that our senses presumably give a "true to reality" signal to our brains. When a sensor sends the message to the brain "this object your hand touched is hot" is so because the object is hot. There is not much or there is no freedom of variation in the sensation and the sensory message. So the hallucination is determined, not altered or influenced by noise. Therefore hallucination may not be the best word to express the work the brain does on processing sensory information.
It is true we normally do not equate hallucinations with perception of normal reality because hallucination normally is invoked in relation to some mental illness.

As I had mentioned above, all types of perceptions [1-4 above] are generated by a preliminary process X.
Grey is not black, but it is not wrong to interpret grey [Black + White] as 1 to 50% blackness.
So it is not wrong to interpret all perceptions in terms of degree and type of hallucination [so long as we qualify it properly] with the intentions to generate positive results from it.

If normal reality is ordered, controlled and shared hallucinations, then it cannot be stretched to be absolute reality that exists independently because fundamentally at its roots it is a type of hallucination.

-- Updated Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:12 pm to add the following --
Woodart wrote:Powerful speaker and thinker. I hope he is right about AI - I really don't want it to succeed - I think it is playing with fire - we shall see. I would call him a type of phenomenologist and existentialist. I largely agree with him. I always like the quote of "Reality is nothing but a collective hunch." - Lily Tomlin
I agree with him on AI and machines [man made] cannot replicate human consciousness. This by nature is a non-starter and an impossibility.

However the greater possibility could be a real 'Planet of the Apes' if a group of scientists could expedite an exponential increase in the self-awareness and intelligence of already existing Chimpanzees, gorillas, orang-utans and other primates, or at the extremes to mosquitoes or bacteria.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Not a very good video. Old news. VERY old news.

He uses the term "hallucination" to get appoint across. He is of course not saying EVERYTHING is a hallucination because that would destroy the meaning.
AKA badgerjelly
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Actually, I have several problems with Seth's use of language.

First he is just re-defining hallucination, as others above have noted.

Second, he defines hallucination as uncontrolled perception. I don't see how perception is either controlled or uncontrolled. What does controlled perception mean? Hallucination is simply perception which is unrelated to reality.

Third, he separates the world from the self as somehow significant. I would claim (somewhat controversially) that relative to the agents responsible for conscious events, the world and most of the body, including the neocortex, are the environment. And yes, this is a kind of homuncular theory, but there isn't just one homunculus, there are several. Damasio refers to them as separate selves, and Minsky referred to them as the society of mind.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Obviously there is truth in the idea that what we think of as reality is a mental projection of the same and that there are errors in for collection of perception data and in the processing and interpretation of it. However it is a convenient misuse of the term hallucination to describe the known error rate of our understanding of reality with that word.
"As usual... it depends."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

JamesOfSeattle wrote:Actually, I have several problems with Seth's use of language.

First he is just re-defining hallucination, as others above have noted.

Second, he defines hallucination as uncontrolled perception. I don't see how perception is either controlled or uncontrolled. What does controlled perception mean? Hallucination is simply perception which is unrelated to reality.
Seth is not wrong as he is merely shifting the perspective.
It is like saying diamonds are nothing other than it is pure carbon [C] like pencil leads and that is true in one perspective from the atomic level and disregarding the way the atoms are structure.

I could say diamonds are controlled carbons atoms.
This is true in a way where we take pure carbon, i.e. graphite and put them under high temperatures and pressures in a controlled manner and what we can get are artificial diamonds.

'Perceptions' are a resultant of many semi modular neural programs in the brain coming together and combining in various ways. Memories are an independent modular function. Images of obtains from the various senses are stored in different parts of the brain. Motions, time, space are handled by different parts and modular functions of the brain.
Note the video by Oliver Sacks below;

Thus if one were to imaging the image of an apple, the brain will have to access various databases and programs and process them as an image of an apple to be perceived in the mind. In this sense there is control and to ensure the proper image of an apple is brought to the conscious mind rather than an orange or a car when one is thinking of an apple. Thus a normal perception is a 'controlled' perception because it is within the full normal process and the conscious will of the person.

In the case of a hallucination, the perception [of say an apple] process is abnormal and appear without any conscious effort or expectation of the person. Suddenly a hallucinator sees a 'real' apple on a table in front of him/her. Because the preliminary process is the same in any perception, a hallucination is thus an uncontrolled perception.

Watch this very interesting video where Oliver Sacks explained the neural mechanics of hallucinations.
Ramanchandran wrote:In other words, these back projections allow you to play a sort of
―twenty questions‖ game with the image, enabling you to rapidly home in on the correct
answer.
It‘s as if each of us is hallucinating all the time and what we call perception involves merely selecting the one hallucination that best matches the current input. This is an overstatement, of course, but it has a large grain of truth.
'The Tell-Tale Brain, pg 55 - Ramachandran]
Larrylarry
New Trial Member

Post by Larrylarry »

I can see where this can be true. In my journey I have found that things that I really want to happen usually happen eventually over time. It could take a long time or it could be instant. I feel like this is because we halucinate our reality. It would make perfect sense
Prothero

Post by Prothero »

For an absolute Idealist (where the entire world is a mental construct), a hallucination might be an individual construct, whereas what we call "reality" would be a group or universal construct, but in terms of their ontology, they would be equal.
Most of us however (in practice, even if not in theory) are realists and distinguish between mental constructs which are the product of interaction and relationship with the "exterior, real" world and those mental constructs which are produced only by the mind and do not represent the exterior world (hallucinations and for that matter dreams).
I have no desire to argue with profound skeptics or absolute idealists, as such debates are not likely to be productive.
If one wants to discuss direct or naïve realism, vs indirect or representational realism, that is sometimes illuminating regarding the process of perception.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Prothero wrote:For an absolute Idealist (where the entire world is a mental construct), a hallucination might be an individual construct, whereas what we call "reality" would be a group or universal construct, but in terms of their ontology, they would be equal.
Most of us however (in practice, even if not in theory) are realists and distinguish between mental constructs which are the product of interaction and relationship with the "exterior, real" world and those mental constructs which are produced only by the mind and do not represent the exterior world (hallucinations and for that matter dreams).
There are more philosophical room to explore than what you have presented above.

As far as the empirical is concern I am a realist. As for the transcendental, I am a transcendental idealist.

Actually those who differentiate their mental constructs from the "exterior real" world all the way are actually the absolute idealists [say they are 'externalists'].
The externalists [philosophical realists] can only indulge in what is in their mind [perception of reality] as the nearest to reality and the "real reality" as external to their mind cannot be perceived because there is a perception gap.
The externalists acknowledge there is no way they can ever experience the 'real' reality but can only correspond to its truth.
The externalists are thus epistemologically living in an illusory world [of externalism] and do not understand what is 'real' reality.

As an empirical realist and transcendental idealist I indulge in the real reality, both epistemologically and realistically.
I have no desire to argue with profound skeptics or absolute idealists, as such debates are not likely to be productive.
This is very relative.
Once upon a time, the majority of flat-earthers accused the non-believers as skeptics and other pejorative labels.
'Skeptics' are ones who do not agree with one's favored beliefs, but such accusations do not indicate their beliefs are true. Example theists accuse non-theists as skeptics.

To have a greater understanding of reality, one way to go is to strive for a greater understanding of the subject [currently very lacking] in addition knowing the external world [well covered Science at present].

Note this problem of empirical realism;
1. Seeing a 3D face of Einstein when the real empirical reality is a convex hollow shape in the mask is a degree of hallucination [say 50%].

2. I say, the process of seeing a 'real' apple on a table where one can feel its solidness and taste it when eaten is processed by the same basic processes as in 1 above with some other added processes. This is a hallucination of say 10% relative to 1.

So, your brain hallucinates your conscious reality, albeit in various degrees.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream