Mind-Body Connection

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Solatic

Mind-Body Connection

Post by Solatic »

I wrote this sequence or train of thought in a notepad, it is essentially my own theory upon the problem of the mind-body connection. My wishes are for someone to proof-read, to correct, or to generally improve on these certain ideas. Mind you, it is all theory, and I myself am not much of a scientist. However, if these things whether you change the semantics of it or not, or add and take away ideas, if they help you to reach a general consensus to achieve a possible solution to the mind-body connection problem. Then essentially, I would be flattered. But most importantly, keep in mind always, as I do. "The greatest of thinkers are able to chew thoroughly through a subject before accepting it or denying it." And I will take no offense to flat-out denial of this theory. My true intention of this, is to see what many think of this, in order to have some sort of confirmation in that regards. So please by all means, here it is:
I hypothesize, that each mind is all similar to each other. It starts with birth. The mind in fashion, is all weighted equal to every single human born, whether or not they be born with a mental disease does not matter. As all minds have the same amount of energy for every single individual coming into the world. The body on the other hand, is in part, chaotic and individualistic. Which means you cannot have a basis of the future of a human based on biology or behaviorism alone. As each body ever existed for each human, has been equal or opposite of their origins. Thus, no one body is the same as another body. The body therefore is the circumstance of experience, atmosphere, and the reflection upon both, either, or neither of those former two qualia. Experience is hereditary as much as birds know where to migrate and at what time to migrate. Semantically the same thing as what we refer to as instincts. But that is our first experience, is our instincts kicking in. The instincts are the foundation and basis for the rest of our experiences as well as our reactions to our experience. Atmosphere, is the location, conditions, and accumulation of objects outside of ourselves. Now this at first is involuntary, we can never choose where we were born, what time we born, how our conditions were as we were born. We cannot choose who was present and who was not, when we were born. The reflection of experiences and atmosphere, is due in part, to our minds growth through the years. In where our intelligence may bloom if garnished correctly and used studiously. Reflection of experiences and atmosphere, helps to decide on how to react toward situations and/or people. They help us to choose our location if we do have a choice of it. In a free society that is, where opportunity flourishes, then yes we can choose our location after many years of reflection on experiences and atmosphere. However, the mind-body connection is yet to be solved. For the act and art of reflection is after consciousness. Just as atmosphere is after reflection, and experiences is equal atmosphere. To put it simply, the body is the extension of our true self, wherein the body has an identity, it's different from everyone else. But our true self is equal to everyone else, and there is no difference between my true self and your true self. So what is the mind-body connection? It is answered when you ask, "If our minds, which is synonymous with consciousness, are all equal in amount to every individual ever to have or ever will have existed or exist. Then our mind-body connection is the sum of our consciousness reacting to our body." To put it in lay-mans terms, our bodies are never the same as anyone else's. Our mind's are all the same as everyone else's. Therefore, the mind-body connection is found when you realize it is our brains that are the consequence of mind reacting to body. But what if body reacted to mind? Then you have identity versus consciousness, which is a two-way street, or an infinite symbol that changes as much as you want it to. To simplify it further, our instincts are known as our ID, our consciousness is our super-ego. Our Ego is the mind-body connection, where our consciousness meets our instincts. Therefore, all humans ego's, are different, but all come from the same place.

On top of this, the more capacious the biological form, the more consciousness is spread thin, through it's many capabilities. The less capacious the biological form, the more potent the consciousness, but it is hard to change. Thus commonly high intelligence's, are always more capable of changing yet hard to keep fortitude. Commonly low intelligence's, are always less capable yet have a great fortitude. I recommend, a firm intelligence, where you can change at a moments notice, yet be able to have some sort of fortitude. An adaptive form, that changes and then keeps a mold, then be able to change again and retain a different mold. To attain this, i will prescribe a general consensus for both intelligence's. High intelligence's must be able to meditate into keeping their mind still. Strength in mind, will keep thoughts linear, and direct. While all the same would simplify your arrangement to becoming more potent. As soon as maximum potency is reached, let it all go. Then repeat. Low intelligence's must be able to meditate into studying the chaos outside of themselves. They must be able to realize there is order to that chaos. That cause and effect are never coincidental and that everything always happens for a reason. With enough practice into that study, their mind will loosen up, and become more capacious. All the while, having had possessed great strength of mind, will be able to revert back to simplicity easier than it would be for an highly intelligent individual to revert back to their looseness.

For the high intelligence, reversion is the hardest part of their meditation. For the low intelligence, gaining and harnessing perception is the hardest part of their meditation.

But further from this, by the end of your time on earth, eventually no matter the circumstance of any type of intelligence. Must remember to practice the idea, that all minds are equal in amount of energy and potential. To practice this as soon as possible makes you ahead of your years. For to recognize that your true self is exactly the same as my true self, and all others true self, you'll see that there was reason for war. And with enough people recognizing this and practicing it, we will all attain peace universally.

-- Updated July 31st, 2017, 10:27 am to add the following --

Mind you, I forgot to put the "no" in the final thought, "there was no* reason for war." I cant figure out how to edit that.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: Mind-Body Connection

Post by Spectrum »

Your argument is not logical;
  • P1. All human minds are the same
    P2 All human brains are different.
    C1 Therefore brain is consequence of mind upon realization of P1 and P2.
Your PI is merely a hypothesis and should be proven first. Your premises do not follow. Therefore your conclusion is not logical.

What you need to do is to define what is 'mind' and then prove they are the same for all humans.

In any case I believe your P1 is not tenable at all.
The mind is the synergic resultant of the brain, i.e. the mind emerges from the brain.
Therefore if there is no brain there is no mind at all.
This can be easily tested, take away the brain from a human and there will no mind that support and generate mental activities.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

I applaud you for having a "theory" in the first place, it implies an insight into self and awareness of others. Not to mention a courage it takes to share your inner thoughts in the public forum, open to scrutiny of different points of view. Your mind is on the right path in perception of more than the "recording" of human experience but in truth we can't offer knowledge to others, only allow consciousness to find its own path. I can tell that you're driven by a noble conviction, and please know that others are sensitive to that, yet all we can do is to share our thoughts.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

1. “All minds are the same”

It is the same as some discrete and permanent 1 + 1 = 2. Or as 1 = 1. If the bodies are in flux then, as you said, there is a separation among the species. It is not clear to me whether you are saying that a bird might have more mind than a human or that some humans are insects. As the flux goes the insect might become a butterfly and the human a rock of salt or a coral rock… or not.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

The mind is just something a part of the body (brain and nervous system) does. Mind-body dualism is an old philosophy that has become obsolete.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

It is absurd to think that we are born with a mind. I could agree that we are born with the potential for a mind. Some humans have more potential than others. Some humans have a negative potential as well. If there is a definition of evil it will be the negative potential of the mind. The future is not IT but biotechnology. As it pertains to humans, the mind becomes the task of the tool. This which was random is now a procedure. The task is to become what is discrete and permanent. This, of course is not a project of Count Dracula. As for the present: Is there such thing as the smart pill? A five minutes effect to feel the mind gaining potential and to see the invisible (what is a hidden to most) … The hidden truth. Still, I will not expect many to understand it for it is difficult to change from the thing in itself to the thing within.
Solatic

Post by Solatic »

Well with a surety, I forgot that I made this post, and I am sorry for the late response. The mind's energy is all at once the same as soon as consciousness is achieved. The measure of consciousness in each person is the same, the amount of awareness into the same consciousness however is different per individual. Thus meditation as well as deep introspection would be a necessity through the means of contracting and expanding focal energies within self to reach maximum potential. What I am saying is, the energy field per person, whether they be child, adult, or elder, is all equal to one medium. Whether you were born with half a brain or more brain than usual, it does not matter. It also explains how "lose one sense gain another" goes. As far as the brain goes, I am a firm believer of what Edgar Allan Poe said in Mesmeric Revelation. Paraphrasing here, "The brain is a device through which we perceive, inherently, consciousness is unparticled matter what we may have perceived to be spirit." In between our brains and our consciousness, is our thoughts, emotions, and identity. The manner of tapping into the "spiritual" from the physical, is estimated by how much we believe in our own thoughts.

Here is an article I typed for my blog a little while ago, to fuel thought:
Reality is a shared experience, naturally. There is not any other form than what it is, as it is shared. Problems that grow with seeing reality different from what it is, is usually summed up in the title psychosis. But what if what seems to be psychosis, rather than the normal title of it, is rather just an extension of things the human mind cannot handle, and thus the containing format of the mind becomes confused and delusion begins to occur. Is psychosis an impairment of the ability to see reality, or rather just a instability from seeing too much of it at once that the mind cannot handle it? Psychosis is blanket term of mental illness. The sum of which describes many other forms of what we may call mental illness. But the potency of it, underlines the sufferer to become chaotically aware of things metaphysical. To bring a mind in order as well as expanding upon the capacity of the said mind, is to make a psychotic into a super-sane individual. Super-sanity is the manifestation of what could be described as the next stage of human evolution. To see beyond what is ordinary. Or rather an extraordinary perception of reality. Let's face it, we do not understand enough of the space-time continuum to clearly announce that physicality is all that there is to existence. So let us begin to speak upon the things the extraordinary perspective brings upon us. Reality is not relative to the individual. No one in this existence is able to change it whether we like it or not. The nature of reality, shows that one individuals volition will never be strong enough to warp it. But what we can say, is reality is relative the collective unconscious, otherwise known as synchronicity. The collective unconscious is the resolve of all human volition's wrapped into one. A database if you will, that has a deep history and is ever changing. As lives cycle in and out, the collective unconscious thus becomes more memorable. In the literal sense of the word. But the collective unconscious will as well always remain the same size as it has always been. So, if reality is relative to the collective unconscious. What can we do to fast-forward the evolutionary experience on a scale of all those who exist today? What can serve as a catalyst? Throughout history we have archetypes of what can be considered as "the one". This "one" is akin to the archetype of the wise-warrior. Or the dragon of the east. Even Quetzalcoatl as well as Tezcatlipoca. He or she, is like the form of a Hermes Trismegustus. Or even like, Plato's, the allegory of the cave. How about the idea, the proverb that stipulates, "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king." This one, has the benevolence to help all those whom deserve it, in which he or she feels all do. But to that end, what if this very same archetype is ability to shape-shift his own mind. And with that mastery is able to shape-shift others minds, through the collective unconscious. My point is, if reality is relative not to the individual, but the collective unconscious, then whoever controls synchronicity can then control reality. And to unlock the next stage of the human experience, is to release all minds into being able to see through an "extraordinary perception."
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

The Beast wrote:It is absurd to think that we are born with a mind. ...
Not at all. The baby has a mind which is controlling all of its bodily functions. It's other minds (intellectual, emotional, moving) are simply blank slates, ready to be filled.

When a baby learns to talk to itself (think) a new mind is not created. Its already existing mind has simply learned how to function in a particular way, that's all.
JeanMarie2017
New Trial Member

Post by JeanMarie2017 »

I am relatively new to Philosophy but I want to say what if, we are born with a mind but it is minute and we 'grow' it as we get older and learn more. Not that we improve the mind but that we have very little mind and it gets larger as we get older? I am not speaking of the physical brain as I do not see justification on how the brain is in fact the same thing as the mind. The brain to me is just a physical lump of mass that may trigger things within our body and is in fact just a piece of our body just as your arm or leg is with a function. The mind is a very different thing which we do not know how it came to existence and whether or not it exists outside of the death of our body and brains.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Post by Atreyu »

JeanMarie2017 wrote:I am relatively new to Philosophy but I want to say what if, we are born with a mind but it is minute and we 'grow' it as we get older and learn more. Not that we improve the mind but that we have very little mind and it gets larger as we get older? I am not speaking of the physical brain as I do not see justification on how the brain is in fact the same thing as the mind. The brain to me is just a physical lump of mass that may trigger things within our body and is in fact just a piece of our body just as your arm or leg is with a function. The mind is a very different thing which we do not know how it came to existence and whether or not it exists outside of the death of our body and brains.
I think you could look at it that way, but it's odd to me to imagine size when dealing with an abstract concept like the "mind". However, if you mean by "getting bigger" that the mind learns more complicated functions or has more and more concepts to work with, then I would agree. For example, a "bigger" mind has many thoughts, while a "smaller" mind has few if any.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream