What is anger?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: What is anger?

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:Talking about gender inequality is not an easy subject for most all of us - myself included. The reason is we propagate and perpetuate it in our own lives. If we cannot have equality in our personal deportment – how can we expect peace on Earth? If we support practices that hold another class of people down – we are the problem. Who likes to admit that?

You know what makes me angry at women? It is my own biology – because of testosterone I think about sex too much. Who and/or what designed this stupid system – mechanism – circumstance? All I know is – I am stuck in this dumb machine – a prisoner of forces beyond my control.

I think the best card we can play is honesty. We have to be honest about what is happening to us. This has proven to be easier said than done – on both sides of the fence. The reason is we are cowards – all of us. If you don’t see this fact here – in this thread – you are not paying attention. Coward!
Dude, I think many of the problems that exist we create for ourselves; some people just seem to be in the line of fire all the time - I don't know, perhaps it's because they put themselves there. I am a woman and I can count on my one hand if I've lost four fingers the times a man made me feel inferior. Perhaps we should mix with the right people and aim at things that are achievable.

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

I do detect some anger here – lately – in this thread. Am I imagining things? Maybe, but I do not think so. Is it ok – I would say – yes it is normal – somewhat? What I also detect is denial – denial of one’s own anger – denial of angers role in the world especially as it relates to sex. Do we deny sex’s pervasiveness for humans and its generative ability to produce anger? I think a great many of us do. Sex is not the only thing that makes us angry, but it is one of the big causes. It seems a lot of people are not particularly comfortable talking about sex as it relates to their anger. Why is that?

Sex is one of our greatest sources of gratification – but – it can also be one of tremendous frustration. Sex gives us intense pleasure, but it seduces us into a world of fantasy – an unreal world. Sex is funny – it is like a drug. We have and we like it, but we are not always completely honest about our own behavior. Most sex in humans – I think – is a hybrid of reality and fantasy. It is the fantasy part that keeps us in denial. Would you say to your significant other – “sweetheart, let’s make love, so I can think about your sister or brother”? I don’t think so! However, we do think of other people when we make love – quite often.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

woodart -
denial of angers role in the world especially as it relates to sex.
Example? Why especially as relates to sex?

I think there is something to be said for social animals and how they cope with emotions. I most certainly wouldn't relate sex with sex directly, but that said we can generally see that hormones cause more "fragmentation" of emotional control during the period of puberty. Prior to this it is clear to me sex is not on the radar for children yet they suffer from fits anger mostly due to balancing their world view with the world and coming to appreciate that other minds exist. Sexuality merely seems to be the cherry on the cake compared to this.

I do find it interesting when we look at physiological states we can observe during anger and excitement. They share a few obvious features. This is why my initially post on this thread referred to "anger" being misdirected "energy" (I mean this without wishing to sound like a hippy though. hahaha!)

Why the fascination with sex? Is there an underlying thought, experience or theory behind this you've yet to reveal?

note: I think we can all appreciate that we're cowardly, stupid and deluded. That is just part of being human :)
AKA badgerjelly
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:I do detect some anger here – lately – in this thread. Am I imagining things? Maybe, but I do not think so. Is it ok – I would say – yes it is normal – somewhat? What I also detect is denial – denial of one’s own anger – denial of angers role in the world especially as it relates to sex. Do we deny sex’s pervasiveness for humans and its generative ability to produce anger? I think a great many of us do. Sex is not the only thing that makes us angry, but it is one of the big causes. It seems a lot of people are not particularly comfortable talking about sex as it relates to their anger. Why is that?

Sex is one of our greatest sources of gratification – but – it can also be one of tremendous frustration. Sex gives us intense pleasure, but it seduces us into a world of fantasy – an unreal world. Sex is funny – it is like a drug. We have and we like it, but we are not always completely honest about our own behavior. Most sex in humans – I think – is a hybrid of reality and fantasy. It is the fantasy part that keeps us in denial. Would you say to your significant other – “sweetheart, let’s make love, so I can think about your sister or brother”? I don’t think so! However, we do think of other people when we make love – quite often.
Sex don't make me angry, people make me angry.

Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Socrateaze wrote:
Yes, I agree – sex is just an activity like eating or walking. However, the context that we engage in an activity has a great deal to do with how we feel. If we eat with a person that disturbs us – we can feel anger and/or other emotions. How we feel in any given circumstance is a product of many variables. Some we control – some we don’t – others are a joint venture – sex is a combination of all of these factors.

Sex has a very complex equation because it has both real and unreal characteristics. Fantasy complicates the entire sexual dynamic. I think we fantasize sexually because something is missing in the real part of our sexual life. Most people masturbate at one time or another. Most women are not satisfied in their sexual relations. Why – because something is missing. I believe there is a relationship between sexual dissatisfaction and frustration which can cause anger.

Many things rob us of peace in the world. Sex is a big part of the peace equation. Our frustrations will manifest in a myriad of behaviors. I think we first need to acknowledge where our anger can come from – then and only then – can we mitigate our anger and dissipate the destructive parts of it. Peace eludes us because we don’t “see” where our anger comes from – we react poorly – many times.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote:Sex don't make me angry, people make me angry.
Let's say you are driving down the boulevard and some guy cuts you off. Consider these two potential responses.

#1. You just found out yesterday that you were laid-off from your job. To make matters worse, your hot water heater just went out, your dog ran away, and you caught your boyfriend being unfaithful. The guy who just cut you off is definitely going to hear about it.

#2. You just got a big promotion with tons of praise and huge raise at work. And as luck would have it, you had the best sex of your life last night, AND the hot water heater you thought might be out was actually perfectly fine. You figure that the guy who cut you off was probably having a bad day and you simply let him be.

We all own our own anger. There are internal and external things that can trigger anger, but it is fully ours. Awareness is being able to watch your anger as it arises and trace it back to its source. Once you become skilled at this, you begin to view things very differently as you see the 'cause and effect' of all things.

The key is taking complete ownership of your feelings.

-- Updated September 7th, 2017, 2:14 pm to add the following --
Woodart wrote:Many things rob us of peace in the world. Sex is a big part of the peace equation. Our frustrations will manifest in a myriad of behaviors. I think we first need to acknowledge where our anger can come from – then and only then – can we mitigate our anger and dissipate the destructive parts of it. Peace eludes us because we don’t “see” where our anger comes from – we react poorly – many times.
Woodart, you are correct that it is very important to see from where your anger emanates. All anger comes from past karma. We are always living this out.

For you, it seems that sex is a big trigger. It is different for everybody. As you begin to cool the fires that burn inside of you, you will see things differently.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:
Yes, I agree – sex is just an activity like eating or walking. However, the context that we engage in an activity has a great deal to do with how we feel. If we eat with a person that disturbs us – we can feel anger and/or other emotions. How we feel in any given circumstance is a product of many variables. Some we control – some we don’t – others are a joint venture – sex is a combination of all of these factors.

Sex has a very complex equation because it has both real and unreal characteristics. Fantasy complicates the entire sexual dynamic. I think we fantasize sexually because something is missing in the real part of our sexual life. Most people masturbate at one time or another. Most women are not satisfied in their sexual relations. Why – because something is missing. I believe there is a relationship between sexual dissatisfaction and frustration which can cause anger.

Many things rob us of peace in the world. Sex is a big part of the peace equation. Our frustrations will manifest in a myriad of behaviors. I think we first need to acknowledge where our anger can come from – then and only then – can we mitigate our anger and dissipate the destructive parts of it. Peace eludes us because we don’t “see” where our anger comes from – we react poorly – many times.
I can agree with that. The thing that frustrates me most about sex is when I really like a guy and he's too shy to make a move. So one day I just decided, bugger this and started to make the first move, why should culture dictate to us?

Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Synthesis wrote:
Awareness is being able to watch your anger as it arises and trace it back to its source. Once you become skilled at this, you begin to view things very differently as you see the 'cause and effect' of all things.

I think you are being a bit presumptuous and “preachy”. I don’t think we can “see the ‘cause and effect' of all things.” Much of what happens to us is beyond our understanding. We reason as best we can to “see” our own lives – but our vision is many times limited.
Synthesis wrote:
Woodart, you are correct that it is very important to see from where your anger emanates. All anger comes from past karma. We are always living this out.
Karma is an OK idea to a certain extent, but has its limitations. There are more than 6 million people in the greater Houston area. Is hurricane Harvey a massive karmic event for these people? I don’t think so. The universe has a mind of its own – so to speak. I don’t think Harvey was about karma – at all.
Synthesis wrote:

For you, it seems that sex is a big trigger. It is different for everybody. As you begin to cool the fires that burn inside of you, you will see things differently.
I think sex is a big factor in everyone’s lives, although some more than others – as I have said before. The celibate controls his behavior, but I doubt his thoughts. Anyone can put blinders and handcuffs on, but biology is still present. Men are ruled by testosterone – in one way or another. I am almost 68 and believe me – the fire in my belly – is rather cool. I talk about sex from what I have observed and learned over a lifetime. I am suspicious of anyone who tells me they have it “under” control. Sex is a wildcard – always has been and I believe always will be.
Socrateaze wrote:
So one day I just decided, bugger this and started to make the first move, why should culture dictate to us?
Good for you – go girl.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Woodart wrote:
Synthesis wrote:
Awareness is being able to watch your anger as it arises and trace it back to its source. Once you become skilled at this, you begin to view things very differently as you see the 'cause and effect' of all things.

I think you are being a bit presumptuous and “preachy”. I don’t think we can “see the ‘cause and effect' of all things.” Much of what happens to us is beyond our understanding. We reason as best we can to “see” our own lives – but our vision is many times limited.

You're right, but I think I've got this one. The studying of 'cause and effect' is much of what meditation is. And I would take your comment further by suggesting that everything is beyond our ability to understand, but not at all beyond our ability to realize. Realization is where we can get as close to the truth as is possible.
Synthesis wrote:
Karma is an OK idea to a certain extent, but has its limitations. There are more than 6 million people in the greater Houston area. Is hurricane Harvey a massive karmic event for these people? I don’t think so. The universe has a mind of its own – so to speak. I don’t think Harvey was about karma – at all.

The idea of karma is a human construct, not really what it is. You can take any idea and magnify/minimize it so it makes absolutely no sense.
Synthesis wrote:

I think sex is a big factor in everyone’s lives, although some more than others – as I have said before. The celibate controls his behavior, but I doubt his thoughts. Anyone can put blinders and handcuffs on, but biology is still present. Men are ruled by testosterone – in one way or another. I am almost 68 and believe me – the fire in my belly – is rather cool. I talk about sex from what I have observed and learned over a lifetime. I am suspicious of anyone who tells me they have it “under” control. Sex is a wildcard – always has been and I believe always will be.

I shall defer to your experience but I do not believe it is as controlling as you might believe.
Bradiation
New Trial Member

Post by Bradiation »

Hello Ye of little anger,
Hope to not get anyone riled. Here are a few puzzle pieces that have been given to me to pass on --- anger is used to gain some sort of control. However, this type of control is used to cover up fear. This is an animal response and is viewed in the animal kingdom as intimidation. (This is why most anger bursts do not lead to physical encounters). The human animal is unaware of its true nature and this breed’s frustration. Thus, it tries to fill its emptiness by controlling the outcome with delusion to hide its fear. Its fear lies in its inability to find true meaning. Thus, his/her superficial life seems dull and unrewarding regardless of the many short term pleasures one can attain ... All other animals in nature do not ponder their future (or the why I am here questions) as this is a GIFT of the human animal only... This gift when misunderstood can be used for power against others and this is a meaningless and empty existence. Making use of this gift (or what it is meant for) is to find a way to create a more generous contribution. When we are angry (or underlying angry) we tend to use our gift destructively against ourselves and/or others, but when we become more aware of ourselves, our gift is then placed in a more generous and compassionate position towards others, and without the need for gratification. Hence, the feeling of empty frustration dissipates...
The true nature of our human animal is to discover its true self by collecting the puzzle pieces that have been scattered throughout history by our fellow corrupted human animals... The closer we get to being less ignorant of the self, the closer we get to viewing anger as an ignorant response...
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Bradiation wrote:Hello Ye of little anger,
Hope to not get anyone riled. Here are a few puzzle pieces that have been given to me to pass on --- anger is used to gain some sort of control. However, this type of control is used to cover up fear. This is an animal response and is viewed in the animal kingdom as intimidation. (This is why most anger bursts do not lead to physical encounters). The human animal is unaware of its true nature and this breed’s frustration. Thus, it tries to fill its emptiness by controlling the outcome with delusion to hide its fear. Its fear lies in its inability to find true meaning. Thus, his/her superficial life seems dull and unrewarding regardless of the many short term pleasures one can attain ... All other animals in nature do not ponder their future (or the why I am here questions) as this is a GIFT of the human animal only... This gift when misunderstood can be used for power against others and this is a meaningless and empty existence. Making use of this gift (or what it is meant for) is to find a way to create a more generous contribution. When we are angry (or underlying angry) we tend to use our gift destructively against ourselves and/or others, but when we become more aware of ourselves, our gift is then placed in a more generous and compassionate position towards others, and without the need for gratification. Hence, the feeling of empty frustration dissipates...
The true nature of our human animal is to discover its true self by collecting the puzzle pieces that have been scattered throughout history by our fellow corrupted human animals... The closer we get to being less ignorant of the self, the closer we get to viewing anger as an ignorant response...

A very fine post and perspective. Indeed, being less ignorant – fearful is our charge. Some suggest meditation which does work. Others become monks or hermits – doing philosophy and psychology can lessen our ignorance. There is value in religious teaching – particularly Buddhism.

I am fearful – now – that we have reached a point of no return. Too many people – too many problems – that a fix is exceedingly difficult. Perhaps we should just thin the herd and try again. I wish we were wiser as a species, but we seem to be missing a few nuts and bolts. Our machine isn’t quite working right. I don’t know if our story is a tragedy – comedy or farce? Probably a combination of all. Being angry at our collective stupidity – is very counter-productive.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Woodart,

To put 'sex' and 'anger' in perspective, it is such;
  • 1. DNA wise all humans are driven to propagate the species.
    2. To achieve 1, all humans are programmed with the following;
    3. -to survive at all costs.
    4. -to avoid premature death.
    5. -sexual reproduction
    6. -instincts and emotions
    7. -primary emotions are Anger, love, sadness, fear etc.
The purpose of emotions [emote = to move] is to activate the person to take relevant actions to avoid threats against 1 above, i.e. preservation of the species.

For example if there are threats of premature death, the first reaction is fear [of various degrees] then in many cases anger is also triggered so that the person can react to eliminate the threat or avoid the threat.

If there is any resistance to sexual reproduction impulse, then there a risk to 1 [preservation of the species], and in general the emotion of anger is triggered to drive the person to the act of reproduction to produce the next generation. Thus in general when either spouse is deprived of sex the emotion of anger [in various degrees] is instinctively triggered.

Thus anger is a sub-program that is independent and is triggered [in the respective circumstances and conditions] whenever the mission to preserve the species is threatened. One of this condition is when the impulse to sex is hindered explicitly.

Therefore the emotion of anger is not directly linked to sex but rather it an emotion that is triggered when there is a threat to the preservation of the species via survival of the individual or its reproduction [sex] ability. In fact the intensity of anger is more stronger when related to the threat of premature death so it can drive the person to fight the threat or run from it.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Spectrum wrote:
Therefore the emotion of anger is not directly linked to sex but rather it an emotion that is triggered when there is a threat to the preservation of the species via survival of the individual or its reproduction [sex] ability. In fact the intensity of anger is more stronger when related to the threat of premature death so it can drive the person to fight the threat or run from it.
I think you have missed my point and the point in a couple of instances. First almost none of us are threatened with loss of life on a daily, weekly – yearly basis. It does not come into our focus very often. Sure, when it does happen – “things” accelerate with intense emotions – but normally does not happen very often. Life threatening occurrences rarely happen for most of us. If you are a policeman or firefighter – yes – you see it. Not many of us have hazardous occupations.

Second, sex causes frustrations for almost everyone on a daily basis. Frustration causes anger and anger causes maladaptive behavior. Maladaptive behavior because of sexual frustration is huge for almost everyone. For example – a CEO of a hedge fund – 70 years old and sexually frustrated – buys a company and dismantles it for a quick dirty profit. Thousands of lives are destroyed and communities devastated. Can we draw a correlation? Not legally – but – we can psychologically. Another example – a man 25 years old is sexually frustrated and goes to a bar and starts a fight and really hurts another man. Does the problem he has in his sex life come to the light of day in the following court process? No, it is never mentioned – but there is a direct correlation.

Sexual frustration influences all of our behavior – and – we all have it. Anger is the result of sexual frustration and it comes out – everywhere – many times we are not even aware of it. Everyone has sexual frustration – even people in normal healthy sexual relationships.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Woodart wrote:Sexual frustration influences all of our behavior – and – we all have it. Anger is the result of sexual frustration and it comes out – everywhere – many times we are not even aware of it. Everyone has sexual frustration – even people in normal healthy sexual relationships.
I agree we can trace anger back to sexual frustrations but we cannot generalize, sexual frustrations will definitely generate anger.
A lot of research has been done in this area starting from Freud.
Nothing inspires murderous mayhem in human beings more reliably than sexual repression. Denied food, water, or freedom of movement, people will get desperate and some may lash out at what they perceive as the source of their problems, albeit in a weakened state. But if expression of sexuality is thwarted, the human psyche tends to grow twisted into grotesque, enraged perversions of desire.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/se ... the-remedy
However we cannot generalize sexual frustrations will definitely lead and trigger anger.
Humans has a greater faculty of impulse controls i.e. neural inhibitors to inhibit impulses from sexual frustrations to trigger the anger emotions.

In addition, your OP is 'What is anger?' which imply anger in general and that is why I had discussed the topic of anger in various other perspective beside sexual frustrations.

I believe the proximate root variable that drove the anger emotion to evolve is survival and threats of survival.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Spectrum wrote:
I believe the proximate root variable that drove the anger emotion to evolve is survival and threats of survival.
I agree – in the beginning survival was the primary motivator of anger. However, now survival does not present itself as a daily threat as much - anymore. It is still present, but anger has evolved and more associated with sex than survival. There are other triggers as well – jealousy – hatred – domination – revenge - you name it. My main point is that anger keeps us from peace – where ever it comes from. Our job is to recognize where anger comes from so we can mitigate it. The “recognition” is not our strongest quality.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream