What is anger?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Woodart

What is anger?

Post by Woodart »

What is anger?
Anger is something we all have – right? What is it? It seems like it is an emotion that gets linked to another emotion or thought or behavior or situation or combination of the above.
How does it come about and why?
What does it do to us?
How does it define us?
Is it bad?
Is it useful?
Is anger justified?
Does it have a good function?
Do you see it around here?
What does anger show you about yourself?
What do you think about angry people?
Is anger about insecurity?
What motivates us to anger?
Can we control anger?
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: What is anger?

Post by Spectrum »

We have evolved with a set of primary emotions [including anger] and that we still have them infer such emotions must be adaptive and advantages for survival.
Animals without higher self-consciousness will rely on their instincts to express the relevant emotions.
However, humans with higher self-consciousness need to do better and must modulate their emotions to progress for humanity sake.

I quote this very often;
Anybody can become angry - that is easy,
but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy.
- Aristotle
The primary emotions are mixed with other emotions and impulses to form secondary emotions.

Emotions can be modulated and measured via Emotional Quotient [EQ] ratings.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Interesting questions that others may also wish to address in instinctual desire to provide answers.

1. How does it come about and why?
Anger is a physiological response to perceived threat, either physical pain or in case of humans psychological "injustice" in absence of a better term.

2. What does it do to us?
It triggers an endocrine response from the adrenal gland, releasing Epinephrine (adrenaline) in what's commonly described as a "fight or flight response". Epinephrine will bind to receptors of the sympathetic nervous system with global body response to increase metabolic function of most body systems, except for gastrointestinal and urinary systems that best function with parasympathetic neurotransmitter stimulation of Acetyl choline. This is an evolutionary adaptation to temporarily enhance vision, breathing, elevate body temperature, increase intensity and speed of electrical activity in the brain (to think faster and more clearly), skeletal muscle and liver to release glucose from glycogen as readily available pool to produce ATP (energy source) for muscle contraction and all other activity in the body.

3. How does it define us?
An interesting approach to anger in such formulation of a question. I'm not sure if anger does or should "define" human behavior, other than elevate the significance of the situation.

4. Is it bad?
It's bad to overall health of the body exposed to stress for prolonged period of time, increasing "wear and tear" of all body systems.

5. Is it useful?
Absolutely yes, it's essential to the survival of the species and each individual in "real" danger.

6. Is anger justified?
That depends on the situation.

7. Does it have a good function?
Similar answer as in 5. Unless you meant the efficiency of the endocrine system... then it depends on genetics.

8. Do you see it around here?
I presume that you mean "here" as in this philosophy forum, not just this thread. Sometimes. The question becomes is it justified in purpose? My answer would be: not always.

9. What does anger show you about yourself?
That the physiological responses are not always easy to control using intellect of mind.

10. What do you think about angry people?
I think they deserve compassion because in rare occasions they may require medical attention (Pheochromocytoma or Hyperthyroidism). For all other instances it implies inability to cope with prolonged stress, which should be treated with compassion as well.

11. Is anger about insecurity?
Insecurity may lower the threshold in perception of danger or injustice but anger is not entirely the result of insecurity, especially if such insecurity is well justified.

12. What motivates us to anger?
Stress, in short answer

13. Can we control anger?
We can control our perception and thoughts about the reality but not the physiological response.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

There are so many "lenses" with which we can examine anger. Here's some more to add to the current helpful replies.

Anger is a galvanising emotion, a gathering of courage to act (probably rashly and foolishly hehehe). Most of us are so well "house trained" in society, so routinely decent, that we need to be angry to cause another harm. It is this very reflex gentrification that military training aims to overcome so that a soldier with gentle first instincts can kill without hesitation. There is a reason why sergeant majors tend to goad and insult trainees - to harden their mindset with anger.

All social predatory species have a Jekyll and Hyde character - the cooperator and friend within the group and the ruthless killer to others. Essentially, those not in the in-group - threats, prey and "neutrals" - are objectified. This objectification has been naturally selected since a predator that hesitated through empathy won't compete effectively with its more decisive peers.

It is this predators' ability to switch off their usual in-group empathy as regards outsiders that human anger taps into. Anger lets us objectify, and objects are less subject to moral limits.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I tend to view "anger" as untapped motivation. If handled correctly it can be "redirected" toward fulfilling some task. It is basically something that comes about due to inactivity or related to situations where you don't know where to direct your activity.

Before anger stress builds up. If you simply do some hard physical exercise you'll feel better and have a clearer head.

Before anger frustration builds up. If you direct your focus to another task a solution may more easily present itself.

Before anger worries build up. If you pay attention to the over all importance and gain a better perspective on the problem you'll be better equipped to approach it.

Anger tells us we've reached a point where some choice we made was not the best choice to make. It is necessary to recognize anger and useful to recognize anger and the signs we're given prior to reaching boiling point.

We all get angry. Be angry, let it out as quickly as possible then set to the task of enjoying finding possible solutions to deal with the problem at hand or put the problem in perspective and give yourself a break by attending to another task, or just do some exercise and let your mind switch off for a while.

It is very, very easy to be agitated on forums when you first join them. I used to get quite angry with some posts and it took time for me to adapt my approach to reading posts. If other people are involved then empathy is the best way to understand the conflict.
AKA badgerjelly
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:What is anger?
Anger is something we all have – right? What is it? It seems like it is an emotion that gets linked to another emotion or thought or behavior or situation or combination of the above.
How does it come about and why?
What does it do to us?
How does it define us?
Is it bad?
Is it useful?
Is anger justified?
Does it have a good function?
Do you see it around here?
What does anger show you about yourself?
What do you think about angry people?
Is anger about insecurity?
What motivates us to anger?
Can we control anger?
Psychologists say it's healthy to get angry. So it's not bad. I think it does more harm to forcefully have to "forgive" when you're not ready. Anger comes from two places, self-importance and self-preservation. It often motivates us to withdraw from that which we feel obliged to stay in and often have been manipulated into staying. Anger helps us to leave things behind, that we are not supposed to carry. Anger is justified, but not all our reactions to anger are. Anger reminds us that we can only trust ourselves in the end; what it shows us about ourselves is that our values are our own treasures and that others have to learn their lessons for them self. It teaches us not to place too much faith and hope in people; we all live our own lives. It reminds us that we are just as selfish as the one with whom we are angry. From anger we learn that what we value is sometimes unique to only us. We are not motivated to anger, it's a sudden realization of dreams and motivations not shared, but made meaningless by others.

A woman cries over her dead child, while somewhere, someone is irritated by the noise, because they cannot concentrate on writing this. Anger, sometimes, is the realization that no one cares.

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Anger can be good or bad or both. Anger is an emotion, but it also has a psychological disposition. Anger portends to have righteousness. Most of the time we get angry and we feel justified to be so. We have a reason to be angry. Whether the reason is good or bad is superfluous to truth or what is right. Anger is the engine behind our actions for a great many things. Anger is the bellows that stokes the fire in our belly and motivates us to action.

Anger can be premeditated or spontaneous and/or both. Anger can also be subconscious and live below our awareness. Anger is usually linked with one or more other emotions – like hate – lust – jealousy – envy – sadness – insecurity - pride – or even love. Anger can sneak up on us – even surprise us. Anger usually has a defensive function – but – it can be offensive too.

I think it is important to control one’s anger; however it is also imperative not to stifle it. It takes courage to recognize you are angry. Many times people ignore or hide from their own anger. This is not healthy – obviously. We are charged to balance our response to anger – in both giving and receiving anger. Display too much anger and you might kill someone. Not show enough anger and you may be killed.

Anger is useful to motivate us and to focus our attention. Getting angry at oneself can be very constructive; however the reverse is also true – anger can lead us to self destruction and/or torment. Anger is a powerful emotion, but can also be very subtle. Passive aggressive behavior is an expression of anger; which we all engage in. Many times we are not even aware we are doing it. Other times we contrive a scenario to inflict pain or anguish on another in the most concealed way.

Anger is interesting.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Anger is caused by unmet expectations, thus those without expectations are immune to it.

It's opposite is fear.

-- Updated August 15th, 2017, 11:41 pm to add the following --
LuckyR wrote:Anger is caused by unmet expectations, thus those without expectations are immune to it.

It's opposite is sorrow.
"As usual... it depends."
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Post by Socrateaze »

Woodart wrote:Anger can be good or bad or both. Anger is an emotion, but it also has a psychological disposition. Anger portends to have righteousness. Most of the time we get angry and we feel justified to be so. We have a reason to be angry. Whether the reason is good or bad is superfluous to truth or what is right. Anger is the engine behind our actions for a great many things. Anger is the bellows that stokes the fire in our belly and motivates us to action.

Anger can be premeditated or spontaneous and/or both. Anger can also be subconscious and live below our awareness. Anger is usually linked with one or more other emotions – like hate – lust – jealousy – envy – sadness – insecurity - pride – or even love. Anger can sneak up on us – even surprise us. Anger usually has a defensive function – but – it can be offensive too.

I think it is important to control one’s anger; however it is also imperative not to stifle it. It takes courage to recognize you are angry. Many times people ignore or hide from their own anger. This is not healthy – obviously. We are charged to balance our response to anger – in both giving and receiving anger. Display too much anger and you might kill someone. Not show enough anger and you may be killed.

Anger is useful to motivate us and to focus our attention. Getting angry at oneself can be very constructive; however the reverse is also true – anger can lead us to self destruction and/or torment. Anger is a powerful emotion, but can also be very subtle. Passive aggressive behavior is an expression of anger; which we all engage in. Many times we are not even aware we are doing it. Other times we contrive a scenario to inflict pain or anguish on another in the most concealed way.

Anger is interesting.
Yes, I was just talking this morning to a friend about how we suppress our emotions. We think we are strong when we do not show compassion or allow ourselves to be sensitive. We cover our feelings up with anger and malevolence, because we think it shields us from the pain others inflict on us. I find when I open myself to things that reminds me about that part of myself that I have forgotten, which is gentle and kind; I relieve myself from the self-deceit that cruelty makes me stronger.

Like you say anger can be constructive and it helps us to survive, but to make it a lifestyle is not the way to go.

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Annski
New Trial Member

Post by Annski »

The theory I believe is the most likely to be accurate explains anger as the reaction of not having your needs met, it's the brains way of in certain cirsumstances and situations motivating yourself and signaling to your surroundings that you needed something and that didn't happen. I've noticed that when I meet someone who is very angry (happens a lot since I'm a social worker lol) the very fastest way of calming a person down is by listening to and asking them about what has made them angry. It seldom takes more than 2 minutes until they start talking about the underlying issues and other emotions like sadness, worry, lonliness etc. start boiling up. When you address the issue they have with empathy, and talk about potential ways of solving it they always stop raging.

For example, a woman came storming in the office and screams at people how truly awful we all are. I ask her why she thinks so and she tells us about how her daughter has not gotten the help she needs for months and that is unacceptable, a few minutes later she's telling the whole story about how her daughter had been bullied for years and as a result her mental health had gotten worse and worse, the mother was devistated because of how she could not fulfill her need to help and protect her baby girl from that pain and mental illness. She was only angry because of how she could find no relief for her sadness and worry for her child.

Same thing generally happens regardless of who it is, even the most mentally unstable people I've met has their anger come from one need or another. It can be something huge and for me unfixable, like a lifetime of hearing voices telling them all sorts of the most awful things, to something seemingly tiny like someone cutting them in line or stealing their food. The theory might not be accurate for all I know, and I might have misinterpreted my observations, but it does make sense to me.
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Annski wrote:
The theory I believe is the most likely to be accurate explains anger as the reaction of not having your needs met, it's the brains way of in certain cirsumstances and situations motivating yourself and signaling to your surroundings that you needed something and that didn't happen.
I think this is a strong point – not having our needs or expectations met – does seem to trigger anger. So, can we make a generalization about gender in relation to anger? Are men angrier than women? I don’t know, but men seem to be more overtly angry than women. Why? I think the answer is that men are controlled – pervasively – by testosterone. Testosterone rules men’s thinking – constantly – all day – every day. Men are prisoners of this hormone – and women are not. It is a funny thing, but I don’t think most women understand this fact about men. The reason is women are not ruled by testosterone. They don’t have it – much – and they don’t see it. It might be more accurate to say that women don’t emphasize this type of thinking and are therefore don’t take it into consideration as often.

Testosterone causes men to be aggressive and assertive – you might say demanding - driven. Testosterone invades every aspect of male thinking. Is estrogen as powerful in female lives/thinking as testosterone is for men? I don’t know, but I suspect it is – and – I don’t understand what its effects are. I have heard it makes women more emotional, but does it drive them to be sexual? I don't know, but I tend to think not. Women don’t seem to be as sexually oriented as men. I would be very interested in some female responses.
Annski
New Trial Member

Post by Annski »

Woodart wrote:
Annski wrote:
The theory I believe is the most likely to be accurate explains anger as the reaction of not having your needs met, it's the brains way of in certain cirsumstances and situations motivating yourself and signaling to your surroundings that you needed something and that didn't happen.
I think this is a strong point – not having our needs or expectations met – does seem to trigger anger. So, can we make a generalization about gender in relation to anger? Are men angrier than women? I don’t know, but men seem to be more overtly angry than women. Why? I think the answer is that men are controlled – pervasively – by testosterone. Testosterone rules men’s thinking – constantly – all day – every day. Men are prisoners of this hormone – and women are not. It is a funny thing, but I don’t think most women understand this fact about men. The reason is women are not ruled by testosterone. They don’t have it – much – and they don’t see it. It might be more accurate to say that women don’t emphasize this type of thinking and are therefore don’t take it into consideration as often.

Testosterone causes men to be aggressive and assertive – you might say demanding - driven. Testosterone invades every aspect of male thinking. Is estrogen as powerful in female lives/thinking as testosterone is for men? I don’t know, but I suspect it is – and – I don’t understand what its effects are. I have heard it makes women more emotional, but does it drive them to be sexual? I don't know, but I tend to think not. Women don’t seem to be as sexually oriented as men. I would be very interested in some female responses.
Aight before I say anything else I just have to say the older I get the more I think the idea that women are less sexual, sexually oriented, or have less sex-drive in general is an old myth lmao... Female sexuality is just less visible in the media and what-not is all, and less accepted. I've personally experienced how male partners have actually gotten turned off when I showed how much sex-drive I actually have - which has always been less than them. Personal experience is not proof by any means, but literally every woman I know has had similar experiences. One of my friends was even told by her boyfriend that if she wanted sex more than he did, he would want someone else. Ouch! With female partners it's the contrary - I actually got sleep deprived with my ex because we had so much sex all night, it was ridiculus!

So to the testosterone; this has actually been put into question by a lot of research and if you look at trans men who take large amounts of testosterone regularly - how come they don't get more aggressive and angry despite the unnaturally high dose of T in their system? And how come there are men with incredibly masculine physical form, like The Rock, who certainly has a big testosterone production and yet aren't aggressive but rather gentle? If testosterone was the core of the issue then would we not just treat anger issues with testosterone supressors and estrogen?

More likely the answer to the gender question is far more complex. We are affected by society and our upbringing, and there are plenty of norms in place. In an experiment a group of adults were shown a video of a baby crying, however one half of the group were told the baby was a boy and the other half that the baby was a girl. After watching the participants were asked to describe the babys behavior and there was a significant difference in how the two groups answered. The adults who were told the baby was male overwhelmingly used words like "angry", "upset", "unsatisfied", while the group who were told the baby was female used words like "sad" and "scared". The baby and the video was the exact same, and yet the adults saw the obective material quite differently based on nothing but what they thought was the gender of the baby. Interestingly, this ties into common stereotypes and traditional gender roles. It's generally less acceptable for a woman to be assertive and angry, while it's less acceptable for men to be sad, hurt or scared. If we presume this is true, it would lead to two things;
1. Men are more free to show their anger than women
2. Men are less free to show and satisfy a wide range of their emotional needs than women

What I mean by the later is, if a person pents up their feelings of sadness, hurt, lonliness, and so on... What happens? Carrying that around and not getting to talk about it is frustrating, and ventilating our feelings is a human need. This ties back into the theory about where anger comes from - when people don't get their needs met anger can erupt as a result. In feminist theory there's a term called "toxic masculinity" which is an attempt to describe the phenomenon where some boys are taught "boys don't cry" and as a result don't get to express themselves and their wide range of emotions fully, but are confined to only a few accepted emotions (including rage) and/or only in specific situations because being vulnerable is deemed not manly. There's an interesting study named "Boys Don't Cry" which explores how and why young men who come to therapy for depression are often a lot more depressed with far worse symtoms by the time they get help than their female counterparts, and in general they're more difficult to work with due to motivation and willingness to open up is lower. In the study they bring up data about how even though more women attempt suicide, more men actually die from suicide. They also talk about how when working with boys they found it to be a factor contributing to success if they started with the outlook that the boys would resist opening up and treating them in a more "manly" fashion - specifically not focusing on the emotional issues until much later than they would with girls. There was also a therapist who specifically said that if he implied his male clients were vulnerable too soon, for example by asking about him getting hurt by others, many clients would reject it and get defensive while girls were far more quick to open up about bad experiences and how it had affected them.

Not to make this an entire essay or anything, but there's also the way that women have a tendancy to internalize while men externalize. This comes from studies on the demographics of mental illness and why more women than men appear to have depression and anxiety. To sum things up, women appear to blame themselves for the things that happen to us and are more prone to aggression towards one self and thus more likely to self-harm. While men appear more likely to keep their anger on their sleeve and blame others which leads to aggressive behavior. On top of that there's the whole dominance aspect, but I don't know if it's worth getting into that as well so I'll leave my point here ^^
Woodart

Post by Woodart »

Annski wrote:
Aight before I say anything else I just have to say the older I get the more I think the idea that women are less sexual, sexually oriented, or have less sex-drive in general is an old myth lmao... Female sexuality is just less visible in the media and what-not is all, and less accepted. I've personally experienced how male partners have actually gotten turned off when I showed how much sex-drive I actually have - which has always been less than them. Personal experience is not proof by any means, but literally every woman I know has had similar experiences. One of my friends was even told by her boyfriend that if she wanted sex more than he did, he would want someone else. Ouch! With female partners it's the contrary - I actually got sleep deprived with my ex because we had so much sex all night, it was ridiculus!

Thank you for your thoughtful response. I am not saying that women are not sexual – at all. Rather that they are not preoccupied with sexual thoughts and actions. Men seem to be preoccupied with sex. The sex drive in men seems stronger and it also seems different. Men are obsessed with climax and women are more focused on intimacy. Things are changing for the better nowadays – somewhat – but most women do not achieve a climax in heterosexual relationships.

psychologytoday.com/blog/all-about-sex/ ... ve-orgasms

In generations past – these statistics were much worse.
Annski wrote:
So to the testosterone; this has actually been put into question by a lot of research and if you look at trans men who take large amounts of testosterone regularly - how come they don't get more aggressive and angry despite the unnaturally high dose of T in their system? And how come there are men with incredibly masculine physical form, like The Rock, who certainly has a big testosterone production and yet aren't aggressive but rather gentle? If testosterone was the core of the issue then would we not just treat anger issues with testosterone supressors and estrogen?
I do not think there is a direct correlation between testosterone and anger. I think it is indirect. If your needs are not being met – there may be anger. If your needs are being met – less frustration – less anger. I would say – the rock – is getting his needs met.

Annski wrote:

Annski wrote:
More likely the answer to the gender question is far more complex. We are affected by society and our upbringing, and there are plenty of norms in place. In an experiment a group of adults were shown a video of a baby crying, however one half of the group were told the baby was a boy and the other half that the baby was a girl. After watching the participants were asked to describe the babys behavior and there was a significant difference in how the two groups answered. The adults who were told the baby was male overwhelmingly used words like "angry", "upset", "unsatisfied", while the group who were told the baby was female used words like "sad" and "scared". The baby and the video was the exact same, and yet the adults saw the obective material quite differently based on nothing but what they thought was the gender of the baby. Interestingly, this ties into common stereotypes and traditional gender roles. It's generally less acceptable for a woman to be assertive and angry, while it's less acceptable for men to be sad, hurt or scared. If we presume this is true, it would lead to two things;
1. Men are more free to show their anger than women
2. Men are less free to show and satisfy a wide range of their emotional needs than women

I think there is a great societal influence which disposes how men and women behave. Men are allowed to display anger more in most societies – in fact it is expected. Women are discouraged from expressing anger. Again, I think this is related to sex. If a woman is angry – there is not going to be any sex. So, women are discouraged from being angry – so we can have sex.
Annski wrote:

Not to make this an entire essay or anything, but there's also the way that women have a tendancy to internalize while men externalize. This comes from studies on the demographics of mental illness and why more women than men appear to have depression and anxiety. To sum things up, women appear to blame themselves for the things that happen to us and are more prone to aggression towards one self and thus more likely to self-harm. While men appear more likely to keep their anger on their sleeve and blame others which leads to aggressive behavior. On top of that there's the whole dominance aspect, but I don't know if it's worth getting into that as well so I'll leave my point here ^^
I do believe women are more complex psychologically. They think about “things” more. Men tend to think about sex; hence they don’t “think” as much as women. For men it is all about sex and violence – what else do you need to know? Men are mostly brutes – oh – we have some thoughtful men around here, but these are not your typical males.

I hope I have stirred this pot up a little bit!

-- Updated August 19th, 2017, 6:23 am to add the following --
Annski wrote: To sum things up, women appear to blame themselves for the things that happen to us and are more prone to aggression towards one self and thus more likely to self-harm. While men appear more likely to keep their anger on their sleeve and blame others which leads to aggressive behavior. On top of that there's the whole dominance aspect, but I don't know if it's worth getting into that as well so I'll leave my point here ^^
I believe you are correct that women internalize anger more than men. Women are more passive aggressive than men. Women are dominated by men’s aggressive anger and literally beaten into submission physically and psychologically. Passive aggression is a cowardly type of response to a perceived threat. The threat to women is real, unfortunately, and they are forced to deal with a male world that is prone to violence. Men like violence because it works. Men are cowards too because they rely on violence, both physical and psychological, to dominate others – rather than reason and negotiation. For many men violence is negotiation. This is a sad circumstance and state of affairs of the human condition. It remains to be seen if we will be able to modify our responses to anger and evolve into a more harmonious being. Our future as a species depends on it – I am not sure we will summon the wherewithal to be a more peaceful creature.

I think we are at a crossroads in history. I think women must step forward and show men the error of their thinking. I do not think men are capable on their own to stop being violent. Women must employ the soft force and teach men the error of their ways. Remember the play - Lysistrata by Aristophanes – we need this now. Will it happen? I doubt it. Men are too stupid to see it on their own. Women are too cowardly and selfish to do what is necessary. We will all suffer together and continue down a rather dumb path – have a nice day :!:
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I don't know what kind of comment you want from me regarding the topic? Am I to make gender comparisons of how men and women cope with anger or just talk about anger in general?

Like I said to you in PM I am pretty much in the Jungian field of thought regarding this kind of thing. I think all anger essentially stems from internal confliction (necessary, yet something that needs to be managed.) I am not really keen on commenting on purely speculation and opinion. If you could add more substance to the matter maybe you'll spark my interest more?

Men and women are certainly different. That much I can agree on.

If you'd like I could post some vids later or tomorrow maybe I find interesting? (Will likely be Jung.)
AKA badgerjelly
Dark Matter
Favorite Philosopher: Paul Tillich

Post by Dark Matter »

I think a better question would be, "What are the necessary conditions for our conscious awareness of anger?"

First and foremost, a split mind. Anger cannot perceive itself any more than an eye can see itself. The conscious awareness of anger demands an observer apart from the anger itself. Things get screwed-up when the observer identifies with the observed. This puts the seat of control on the animal level of existence.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream