What is a choice?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Socrateaze
Favorite Philosopher: George Carlin

Re: What is a choice?

Post by Socrateaze »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:
I've read that most of our actions are on "auto pilot," especially the television generation.
Well, the critique of the passive modes of consumption, especially of entertainment in media, will not go so far as to claim that people make no choices. They may be manipulated, but the whole point is that they are not forced, and they choose freely their ball and chain.
Socrateaze wrote:When we are confronted with things that are out of our everyday automation processes, then we start making real choices. We all have known what it feels like if your boss tells you to put the keys in a new spot and you've put them in the old place for years. So how much of what we do is automated?
Not much, I think. Maybe the involuntary reflexes, like blinking, or the automated processes like breathing, pumping blood, etc.
Socrateaze wrote: What about automatic writing? The same applies for some forms of art. Rationality lives in different realms of the mind; sometimes they work together, sometimes they do no.
The writing itself may have escaped the control of consciousness, but getting to the point of handling a pen and being ready to achieve the glory for Surrealism is a very conscious decision.
It is the escaped control of consciousness that I'm interested in. I think more is automated than blinking and the pumping of blood. In fact, I think whole thought processes, personalities and cultures are based on that, which is familiar to us. I think we make very few choices, or at least original ones. I think many people are about as original as a mass-produced 10 cent shoelace - because they simply can't break out of any of these mindsets and patterns.

To be honest, pure choice is rare and rather creates discomfort and irritation in people when it actually presents itself.

-- Updated August 29th, 2017, 9:30 am to add the following --
Phorever wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:What is a choice? How do they come about? Why do people who are prone to make certain choices suddenly make a different choice? If you have a bad character, why do you sometimes make the same choice as a person with a good character and vice versa? If the environment plays a role, why does it not have the same effect on someone that has a similar personality?

Why do people suddenly change their habits with no apparent external influence? Why do others never change them? Does external influence alone have bearing on our choices? Why does someone sometimes wake up the next day and somewhere suddenly feel like they want to change their convictions? If nothing moved them to do so, what did?
A choice is what you picked. Much of that decision comes from your conditioning, culture, ideas, knowledge and philosophy about it.
I agree, but what about that which is not "much," but other than what you mentioned?

- If you can paint the wind, I will tell you the secrets of the soul.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Socrateaze wrote:
It is the escaped control of consciousness that I'm interested in. I think more is automated than blinking and the pumping of blood. In fact, I think whole thought processes, personalities and cultures are based on that, which is familiar to us. I think we make very few choices, or at least original ones. I think many people are about as original as a mass-produced 10 cent shoelace - because they simply can't break out of any of these mindsets and patterns.

To be honest, pure choice is rare and rather creates discomfort and irritation in people when it actually presents itself.
As you might easily guess, I disagree. Interesting, though, that in this general view of an automated human society you include yourself, even along with those who make few original choices. A bit pessimistic, I must say, as it forces the circumstances always upon us, and the circumstances seem to be shaped by themselves, because there's no one free to devise them.

I will always defend a view that goes contrary to this fatalism: "Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself. "
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:

As you might easily guess, I disagree. Interesting, though, that in this general view of an automated human society you include yourself, even along with those who make few original choices. A bit pessimistic, I must say, as it forces the circumstances always upon us, and the circumstances seem to be shaped by themselves, because there's no one free to devise them.

I will always defend a view that goes contrary to this fatalism: "Man is nothing else but that which he makes of himself. "
So you're going t deny most people won't think outside the box?

Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Socrateaze wrote:
Keeping inside a comfort zone, not thinking outside the box, does not preclude agency, choice. "Life is me and my circumstances", said an Spanish philosopher. An automated process is one in which the subject's consciousness does not participate, but in choosing what is more familiar, there are voluntary decisions involved. They are not inevitable. And even when a person is determined to keep inside the comfort zone, he/she needs to adjust to the ever changing circumstances. Such adjustment entails choice.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:
Keeping inside a comfort zone, not thinking outside the box, does not preclude agency, choice. "Life is me and my circumstances", said an Spanish philosopher. An automated process is one in which the subject's consciousness does not participate, but in choosing what is more familiar, there are voluntary decisions involved. They are not inevitable. And even when a person is determined to keep inside the comfort zone, he/she needs to adjust to the ever changing circumstances. Such adjustment entails choice.
So what do you think is a choice then and how does it work?

Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Socrateaze wrote:
Count Lucanor wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

In the most simplest terms I can think of, choice is the conscious resolution on a course of action, having considered other possible courses of action.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote:What I want to know is, why.
You can not ever know why, but that's ok.

If you knew the 'why' of one single thing, then you would know the why of all things.

People believing they know why is the gate through which they enter THE shortest road to Hell.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Count Lucanor wrote:
Socrateaze wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

In the most simplest terms I can think of, choice is the conscious resolution on a course of action, having considered other possible courses of action.
Many choices are not conscious.

-- Updated September 5th, 2017, 12:20 pm to add the following --
Synthesis wrote:

If you knew the 'why' of one single thing, then you would know the why of all things.

People believing they know why is the gate through which they enter THE shortest road to Hell.
We can approximate the why, which is why we are here.

Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote:
Synthesis wrote:

I do not believe that anybody knows why we are here.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Synthesis wrote:
Socrateaze wrote:

(Nested quote removed.)

Why we're on the forum.

- As for why we are here, perhaps it's simply to be here.

Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Socrateaze wrote:
Synthesis wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

Why we're on the forum.

That's what I meant.

Your answer is universally correct.

Giving up the need to know is what liberation is all about.
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Synthesis wrote:

Why we're on the forum.

That's what I meant.

Your answer is universally correct.

Giving up the need to know is what liberation is all about.
So you're suggesting we liberate ourselves from philosophy?

Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Socrateaze wrote:
Count Lucanor wrote: (Nested quote removed.)

As for example?
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Socrateaze

Post by Socrateaze »

Count Lucanor wrote:

As for example?
A lot we do stems from instinct and automation. How often have we made a choice and pine over it afterwards? We don't always make choices consciously. Have you never regret any choice your made? Why is that? Did your dissension making let you down the first time or did rather react rashly on impulse?

A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

Synthesis wrote:

Welcome back :)

-- Updated September 6th, 2017, 7:46 pm to add the following --
Socrateaze wrote:

Many people choose to follow the flock. It is a choice.
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream