The God Theory

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Thoughts Conquer
New Trial Member

The God Theory

Post by Thoughts Conquer »

My theory of God

I see three possible alternatives for God.

A) God doesn't exist.

The most likely one, since we have no real evidence of a God.

B) God doesn't care.

If God exists, and he is perfect, I do not see any reason why he should love us. To a mind that understands the universe, we would be as simple as pebbles. We would be so ridiculously easy to predict that God wouldn't even consider us conscious.

If a pebble could speak, I'm sure it would consider itself very intelligent and unique. "Look at me! You can kick me right, left, up, stamp me into the ground, throw me at something, whatever!" And of course humans would respond with nothing, because pebbles cant speak or think and because, well, they're pebbles. See the parallel?

After all, don't we only love people because of complexity? Your spouse, even if you've known them intimately for several decades, is not completely predictable to you. And if he/she is very predictable, it becomes hard to love them as a person. Marriages become dry when predictably is high. Damn, that's a good motto for marriage counseling.

C) God is imperfect.

God created people who are predisposed to sin; pedophiles and psychopaths. And homosexuals, apparently? The pedophile is sexually aroused by children, and we ought to lock these people up, but we have to recognize something; they are born that way. They have no say in the matter. Psychopaths, usually, are born, and cannot feel remorse. Part of the whole Confession thing is that you're supposed to feel bad about what you did. Psychopaths are physically incapable of that.

Or, going deeper, what about extremely intelligent animals? Dolphins are so smart that if they had stayed on land in the long, long ago and developed thumbs then they could've possibly evolved to a species superior to us, and there is evidence of extremely complex dolphin languages, perhaps more complex than our own. Elephants mourn their dead, try to avenge their dead, can get PTSD, shun their blind, be taught to paint, have the cognitive ability of an eight-year-old and have far superior memory than the vast majority of humans. Chimpanzees use all many of tools, have a rich symbol-based language, are extremely close to humans genetically, have 'cultures' (information they pass down to their younger generations) and stage raids on other chimp camps. These are but three examples of animals that are without a doubt conscious. So the question becomes; why don't they have souls? These self-aware creatures don't get souls because...we conquered them? That's it? And these are only three, remember. We have no idea for how low the bar goes for animal consciousness. This, of course, applies to the first human clones as well, who the Church would consider 'soulless' because...?

This all points to a God that did not create a perfect world. It would make more sense that God is simply an extremely powerful being who lied to us about perfection. This fits in with my earlier point as well; if God is perfect then he would not give a damn about pebbles.

The romanticized view of a conversation with God:

Human: "'Sup I'm going to Heaven for making meaningless chain reactions between myself and other pebbles, right?"

God: "Haha you got it champ enjoy your stay forever."

Option 1:

Human: "'Sup I'm going to Heaven for making meaningless chain reactions between myself and other pebbles, right?"

God: "We're sorry; you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

Option 2:

Human:"'Sup I'm going to Heaven for making meaningless chain reactions between myself and other pebbles, right?"

God: "The person you are calling is unavailable at the moment. Please try again when you are relevant to the entire universe."

Option 3:

God: *chuckles* "Funny story, actually; I lied about Heaven to make you feel better. I can't just break the rules of the universe to create an eternal dimension. You human rapscallions, you."
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Re: The God Theory

Post by Spectrum »

God is such that it must be perfect and absolutely absolute with no compromise.

If your God is imperfect, say 99.00% perfection then your God is inferior to another God which is 99.1% more perfect. A God that is 99.99% perfect is inferior to a God that is 99.999% perfect as so on.
No one would want their God to be inferior [less perfect] to someone's God or another entity.

Thus when one's God is perfect and absolutely absolute, then there is no room for imperfection and no possibility of another God or Satan to be superior over it.

This is why St. Anselm's defined his ontological God as,
"God is a Being than which nothing greater can be conceived"

Thus your God Theory that God is imperfect fails.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Spectrum wrote:God is such that it must be perfect and absolutely absolute with no compromise.

If your God is imperfect, say 99.00% perfection then your God is inferior to another God which is 99.1% more perfect. A God that is 99.99% perfect is inferior to a God that is 99.999% perfect as so on.
No one would want their God to be inferior [less perfect] to someone's God or another entity.

Thus when one's God is perfect and absolutely absolute, then there is no room for imperfection and no possibility of another God or Satan to be superior over it.

Well hold on there, not so fast. Are you proposing that each of the approximately 4200 religion's gods coexist and are in some cosmic competition? Or are you giving religious selection advice (to choose the religion with the "best" god)?

If you are not polytheistic, then who decided that godly perfection leads to a superoor religious experience? You?
"As usual... it depends."
Thoughts Conquer
New Trial Member

If your God is imperfect, say 99.00% perfection then your God is inferior
to another God which is 99.1% more perfect. A God that is 99.99% perfect is
inferior to a God that is 99.999% perfect as so on.
No one would want their God to be inferior [less perfect] to someone's God
or another entity.

Thus when one's God is perfect and absolutely absolute, then there is no
room for imperfection and no possibility of another God or Satan to be
superior over it.

Literally none of this applies to my argument. First off, you are assuming
there is more than one God. I said "the God Theory" not "the Gods Theory"
as I am describing the two choices I see for one God to exist. Second, even
if you're right about there being more than one God, literally none of this
still applies to my argument. "Well, if God is imperfect, then other Gods
can better than it, so therefore God is perfect."

Maybe there's something to your argument I'm missing, but from what it
seems you haven't really understood my point.
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

It depends on who's asking and why...
It can be for instance a conversation kick-starter or actual inquiry of perspective, granted of course that one has a good imagination capable of picturing what it mast be like to exist as an electron within a black hole or imagine energy. One must be able to first imagine an infinity in an "instant" before such question can be fully appreciated... most people often can't even imagine what it must be like to exist as another human.

-- Updated August 26th, 2017, 1:58 am to add the following --

Obviously, you can reject A. since we are here to ask ourselves such questions
B. depends on your definition of "care". Do you really... take a moment...really care about other people?
C. The closest I can get to imagine a perfection is a sphere
Thoughts Conquer
New Trial Member

We do understand logic well enough that we can presume what perfect logic would look like, at least vaguely. Sure, we've never been able to use it in any society ever, because A) we are animals with emotional and physical needs and wants and B) because then we'd either become the Giver in real life or just kill ourselves because nothing matters.

A: Of course we can dismiss this; I just wanted to get the point across that I'm not religious.

B: When I say 'care', I mean put humanity's best options first. Humans don't care about other people because in a purely logical light caring is for idiots and we should only work with people to get ourselves further ahead. However, we humans are deeply flawed and sentimental, so we place a lot of value on these arbitrary things. Good and evil are nonexistent but we act as if they're a substance we can touch and feel.

C: I mean a God that is omniscient, omnipotent and eternal. Sorry for not specifying: I thought it was obvious enough that I didn't have to explain Godly perfection.
Phorever
New Trial Member

Post by Phorever »

Thoughts Conquer wrote:My theory of God

A) God doesn't exist.

B) God doesn't care.

If God exists, and he is perfect, I do not see any reason why he should love us. To a mind that understands the universe, we would be as simple as pebbles. We would be so ridiculously easy to predict that God wouldn't even consider us conscious.

If a pebble could speak, I'm sure it would consider itself very intelligent and unique. "Look at me! You can kick me right, left, up, stamp me into the ground, throw me at something, whatever!" And of course humans would respond with nothing, because pebbles cant speak or think and because, well, they're pebbles. See the parallel?

After all, don't we only love people because of complexity? Your spouse, even if you've known them intimately for several decades, is not completely predictable to you. And if he/she is very predictable, it becomes hard to love them as a person. Marriages become dry when predictably is high. Damn, that's a good motto for marriage counseling.

C) God is imperfect.

God created people who are predisposed to sin; pedophiles and psychopaths. And homosexuals, apparently? The pedophile is sexually aroused by children, and we ought to lock these people up, but we have to recognize something; they are born that way. They have no say in the matter. Psychopaths, usually, are born, and cannot feel remorse. Part of the whole Confession thing is that you're supposed to feel bad about what you did. Psychopaths are physically incapable of that.

Or, going deeper, what about extremely intelligent animals? Dolphins are so smart that if they had stayed on land in the long, long ago and developed thumbs then they could've possibly evolved to a species superior to us, and there is evidence of extremely complex dolphin languages, perhaps more complex than our own. Elephants mourn their dead, try to avenge their dead, can get PTSD, shun their blind, be taught to paint, have the cognitive ability of an eight-year-old and have far superior memory than the vast majority of humans. Chimpanzees use all many of tools, have a rich symbol-based language, are extremely close to humans genetically, have 'cultures' (information they pass down to their younger generations) and stage raids on other chimp camps. These are but three examples of animals that are without a doubt conscious. So the question becomes; why don't they have souls? These self-aware creatures don't get souls because...we conquered them? That's it? And these are only three, remember. We have no idea for how low the bar goes for animal consciousness. This, of course, applies to the first human clones as well, who the Church would consider 'soulless' because...?

This all points to a God that did not create a perfect world. It would make more sense that God is simply an extremely powerful being who lied to us about perfection. This fits in with my earlier point as well; if God is perfect then he would not give a damn about pebbles.

Option 1:

God: "We're sorry; you have reached a number that has been disconnected or is no longer in service."

Option 2:

Human:"'Sup I'm going to Heaven for making meaningless chain reactions between myself and other pebbles, right?"

God: "The person you are calling is unavailable at the moment. Please try again when you are relevant to the entire universe."

Option 3:

God: *chuckles* "Funny story, actually; I lied about Heaven to make you feel better. I can't just break the rules of the universe to create an eternal dimension. You human rapscallions, you."
Option 4:

God evolved from a mathematical point to matter to life to ape to man to machine to The End.
Thoughts Conquer
New Trial Member

...then it is still imperfect, yes?
Ranvier

Post by Ranvier »

Ranvier wrote:It depends on who's asking and why...
This is why I asked this in the first sentence...
And the second sentence, seeing A, B, C
Once one busts out with Omni's... it's not a real thought inquiry.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Does a deity need to be perfect?

Perfection implies stasis, and as far as we know stasis is associated more with death and incapacity than life and empowerment.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote:Does a deity need to be perfect?

Perfection implies stasis, and as far as we know stasis is associated more with death and incapacity than life and empowerment.
The Greeks and Romans didn't think so.
Speedyj1992

Post by Speedyj1992 »

A) God doesn't exist.

B) God doesn't care.

C) God is imperfect.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Wow, there is a LOT to address here, so if I don't get to it all, I apologize. I'll try and hit the big points - B is the correct answer at first, and in terms of why God should be interested in us, your comparison of us to pebbles is a new one to me, and while it has value, it's not the same. We can't communicate with pebbles, and pebbles don't have actions that affect the world around them OF THEIR OWN VOLITION. There is no perfect comparison of us to God - it's not that we are inherently predictable, it's that God is omniscient and omnipresent, so He knows us before we're even born (Jeremiah 1:5 and Psalms 139:16). God's love for us (I'm kind of addressing a couple of your points here) is therefore more complex than ours because God sees us at a heart level (1 Samuel 16:7 and 1 Kings 8:39). If God does indeed know everything perfectly, then He knows us better than we know ourselves, and though God is described as infinitely holy (Isaiah 6:3 and Revelation 4:8), He loves us because He is just that great. That's the whole point, and He has offered forgiveness for us and the possibility of eternity in heaven through Jesus' flawless sacrifice.

Regarding the problem of evil, that is a very legitimate question, and I plan on posting a YouTube video on my channel Friday about that. By that time, I should be able to put that in this thread by then, and I hope you'll be open to hearing what I have to say there.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Speedyj1992 wrote:

A) God doesn't exist.

B) God doesn't care.

C) God is imperfect.

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Wow, there is a LOT to address here, so if I don't get to it all, I apologize. I'll try and hit the big points - B is the correct answer at first, and in terms of why God should be interested in us, your comparison of us to pebbles is a new one to me, and while it has value, it's not the same. We can't communicate with pebbles, and pebbles don't have actions that affect the world around them OF THEIR OWN VOLITION. There is no perfect comparison of us to God - it's not that we are inherently predictable, it's that God is omniscient and omnipresent, so He knows us before we're even born (Jeremiah 1:5 and Psalms 139:16). God's love for us (I'm kind of addressing a couple of your points here) is therefore more complex than ours because God sees us at a heart level (1 Samuel 16:7 and 1 Kings 8:39). If God does indeed know everything perfectly, then He knows us better than we know ourselves, and though God is described as infinitely holy (Isaiah 6:3 and Revelation 4:8), He loves us because He is just that great. That's the whole point, and He has offered forgiveness for us and the possibility of eternity in heaven through Jesus' flawless sacrifice.

Regarding the problem of evil, that is a very legitimate question, and I plan on posting a YouTube video on my channel Friday about that. By that time, I should be able to put that in this thread by then, and I hope you'll be open to hearing what I have to say there.
I don't disagree with your choice of B, though citing scripture to "prove" this or that god behavior is flawed logic and, of course proves nothing. That is not to say that anyone else, myself included, can point to opposing proof, there just isn't any data in this area.
Speedyj1992

Post by Speedyj1992 »

I see your point, and yes, I come from a fundamental point of faith in the God of the Bible, so the Bible, as God's Word, has authority in my life (and the Bible does claim to be the very word of God). There are historical AND SCIENTIFIC prophecies that have been mentioned in the Bible and then came true at later points - predictions that, by themselves are impressive and highly unlikely to be by chance alone, but together are downright impossible to have come from anything other than the supernatural. So when I use the Bible to "prove" God, that's where that comes from, and I apologize for not mentioning it earlier.
Thoughts Conquer
New Trial Member

Okay, first off, I posted this random thought here to hunt for flaws in it, and I'm glad people have actually scrutinized it. Thanks.

"Pebbles do not influence the world of their own volition." Okay, I know this is an entire different topic but...what makes you think people have any more volition than pebbles?
A quick checklist of what pebbles can do that we can:

Pebbles interact with the environment. Pebbles can be worn down, kicked, dissolved and melted (not easily, though). I would say a pebble has as much awareness as a person. And maybe this will sound ignorant, but if you combine a pebble's interactions over the course of, say, a month, wouldn't that be as complex as at least a few human seconds? Even if there is free will (not that I see any evidence to support it) couldn't you argue that a pebble is just a very, very slow but conscious and intelligent being? After all, your brain is only a computer with reactions inside it. Much more complex reactions than a pebble, sure, but still only reactions.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream