Freedom revisted

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Freedom revisted

Post by Hereandnow »

I have always rejected claims about human responsibility, accountability, guilt, innocence, and so on; simply because I was absolutely convinced of the coercive nature of causality that had no room whatever for a causeless effect. It is apodictically so that every effect must have a cause, and Kant was right, it seemed, that Hume's thesis of contiguity, whereby all one ever has evidence for in any given causal event is one thing coming on the heels of another, the cause of the one upon the other never being actually witnessed at all. Kant made it clear that cause is a necessity built into the event. this is made clear by merely acknowledging the intuitive impossibility of a causeless effect, which presents itself apriori, not empirically. This makes causality more like a logical rule, like modus ponens, than an empirical observation.

So I always bought Kant's apriority of causality and rejected Hume. Until I noticed what a big deal existentialists were making of freedom. Sartre was, I thought, a little crazy in thinking all conscious acts were free because our essential Being was nothingness. How could any act issue from anything if not the matrix of background experience that we call memory? (It was especially galling to hear conservatives go on so adamantly about individual responsibility just to avoid the cost of addressing structural poverty and ignorance!) I think differently now, though I am still no fan of Sartre on this. Now I see the real possibility of freedom lying within the form of a conscious disposition to think and believe. Though as a rational agent I am bound to deploy reason in all I do, I nevertheless see freedom as a meaningful concept. I am with Dostoevsky: I am not a piano key.

Admittedly, the behind the scenes of a conscious act or thought there are "things" we can never see (currents of memetic substrata?) make the machinery of our reason and feelings what they are. But these will never be "seen" because the seeing of any observational occasion is a matter of precisely those things we're trying to observe at work, doing their job. And these are also behind the scenes producing the certainty, the apriority, of our understanding of causality. And this makes causality as a concept an extrapolation from what is seen, Hume-wise, and intuited apriori, Kant-wise. Certainty itself is not certain by any standard outside of itself, and this makes for a dubious case for unquestioned faith in what it does.

But put aside the apodicticity of causal events, and take a look at the way freedom manifests itself. It is through choices. (The difference between me and a tree is that, Heidegger tells us, we have choices, possibilities and trees don't. Trees are trees. And never anything but. The counter here has always been: but choices are only perceived to be free. I may say raising my hand is an act of freedom. But seriously, what motivated, read "caused," me to do this? Choices, by this line of thinking, are reducible to causal invents, just very complex ones.

I have usually put the matter to rest right there. But i see that this does not address the matter of whether freedom is possible, only that much or most behavior, physical, cognitive or otherwise, is grounded beyond our sight, and, as per the above paragraph, what is beyond our sight cannot be causality because this term issues from "sighted" refection. This is Wittgenstein and Kant, both; and i do not want to go into the latter's rationalism. Rather, I want to focus on the one thing that seems to make all the difference between freedom and causality, which is inquiry.

Putting aside the mysterious, the invisible, and looking only at choice, I find the act of inquiry itself to be the essence of freedom. I raise my arm, and if this is done spontaneously, thoughtlessly, I admit, there is little freedom in this. It's like typing or sawing wood. But enter (and the inspiration comes from Heidegger) inquiry and so ceases behavior under review. Now we can follow this dialectically: But the second guessing is also motivated second guessing. True, but there must be an interruption in the causal sequence for second guessing interrupt some affair. Yes, but this is more like a comet on its path being struck by an asteroid. New path. Nothing acausal here.

BUT: inquiry knows no end to its belief/action pathway interruptus! Comets may collide with asteroids, but even complex causal events, like tomatoes growing in the garden absorbing sunlight and nutrition, end in some natural resolution. Inquiry is free. It settles nowhere in and of itself. I may recognize doxastic coercion (a nice bit a jargon) in believing 5+5=10, and I do believe this, but I can reject this by putting inquiry to its basis in belief coercion: why should I accept the authority of reason? There is nowhere inquiry cannot go. It invades all beliefs, for all beliefs are contingent only,and subject to question.

And what is freedom if not freedom from all that binds in belief? I may be convinced that this argument is right, but I can question it still. It is in that moment of inquiry that the world loses its control. This is where it gets interesting: True freedom therefore lies in the free expression of inquiry over all things. and we all knows where this leads: Omnipresent doubt. But NOT the sketpic's doubt! No; that would be to settle in "I am a skeptic."

This takes one, once again, to the door of mysticism, where all belief is suspended. Inquiry, followed to its logical end, leads to absolute doxastic freedom.
Atreyu
Favorite Philosopher: P.D. Ouspensky

Re: Freedom revisted

Post by Atreyu »

The gist of this post is quite correct. It reveals that you understand the general idea of what you call "mysticism" (I prefer the term "esotericism") and why it is important. It sounds as if you are ready to begin learning the principles of a mystical (esoteric) teaching.

The only question is what particular teaching(s) you have, and/or will, delve into?
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Freedom revisted

Post by Hereandnow »

First I have to say that coming to a conclusion that our ideas about the world are grounded on thin air, that is, theory upon theory, none of which can ever touch "the world" rests with many or most as useless. I remember Rorty's autobiographical confession that philosophy was simply a choice among others; he could have been a historian, or anything, really, as he had substantial intellectual gifts. Rorty taught me a lot about our epistemic relation with the world, but for him, it was business as usual. He got tired of philosophy, which he relegated to a more general discipline, literature. He certainly was not a conservative thinker in the usual, sense, but he was as I think of such things a dogmatic ....errrrr, agency of thought. I mean, when he saw a cloud or a pen or a desk, whatever, there was no question at the perceptual level. He theorized it to be a pragmatic object; he learned from Heidegger, and Dewey, Wittgenstien, Peirce, and others that the world was an interpretative body out of which there was no escape. But in his world, no difference was acknowledged, at least this is what is implied in his thinking.

But if you're not like Rorty in that analysis of the world at the level of basic assumptions leads to an undermining of real time cognitive structure, then the world will be a very different place for you. There is only one next step if you find that the world is further alienation. The way can be fascinating. See Phenomenology and Mysticism: The Verticality of Religious Experience by Anthony Steinbock. He takes Husserl's epoche to be a way into a kind of enlightenment. This is what, if you ask me, jnana yoga is all about. Inquiry annihilates the world. Lots of names: neti, neti; apophatic theology

There is something extraordinary here, more than mere negation, though saying what that point is would provoke the Zen master's ire.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream