The Rational Choice?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Burning ghost

The Rational Choice?

Post by Burning ghost »

Here is the situation (one you may be somewhat familiar with) ...

You are on a train track and can pull a lever to change tracks. No matter what you do you have to choose either track A or track B.

On track A there is a man who is 70% likely to murder several people.
On track B there are two men who are both 50% likely to murder several people.

Which track do you take?
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Re: The Rational Choice?

Post by Steve3007 »

I guess it would depend how good I am at doing mental arithmetic quickly and under stress.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

There are two cases of murder definitely happening. The first one being, I pull the lever, and the second one being, I don't pull the lever on track B, since the chance of them committing murder is one hundred percent. So I would not pull the lever, choosing whichever track the train is already on. I do not believe in murder by omission, so if the train leaves someone alive who is a murderer I am not responsible, since I did not take action.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve3007 wrote:I guess it would depend how good I am at doing mental arithmetic quickly and under stress.
How about if I changed the percentage chance to say they would murder one person?
AKA badgerjelly
RJG

Post by RJG »

B. As there is 75% chance that of 'one' of these two 50 percenter's will murder several people. 75 is greater than 70.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

OK.

Choose B / avoid A: 70% chance of 1 innocent person dieing. 30% chance of no innocent people dieing.

Choose A / avoid B: 25% chance of 2 innocent people dieing. 50% chance of just 1 innocent person dieing. 25% chance of no innocent people dieing.

I'll choose B and avoid A because, on average, slightly fewer innocent people die with that option.

So it's the trolley problem with some maths thrown in.

-- Updated Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:09 pm to add the following --

RJG beat me to it.

-- Updated Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:18 pm to add the following --

Although, thinking about it, more bad guys die with that option. And since I oppose the death penalty (especially for people who haven't yet committed a crime but are just deemed likely to do so) I should take that into consideration.

OK. I accept that it is actually more than simply the trolley problem with some added maths. It's a good one.

-- Updated Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 pm to add the following --

And I shouldn't have said "innocent people" and "bad guys" because those "bad guys" haven't yet committed any crime.

Yes. Very good one.

Although if it took my rusty mental cogs this long to come to this conclusion here, I still think I would have hit them long before I'd made my decision.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Hopefully when you look back at your decisions and regard these people as people you'll see it's not simply a case of arithmetic.

If you choose B then that is two innocents die instantly.
If you choose A then that is one innocent dies instantly.

-- Updated October 13th, 2017, 11:41 am to add the following --

Ah! You spotted it ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Yes. It's a very good puzzle. I misjudged it at first.

Also, the two innocents who I kill with my choice were actually, individually, less likely to kill than the other guy. So, on the face of it, that makes them better? No, because we're still only talking about our perception of their likelihood to kill, that shouldn't make a difference.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Maxcady10001 wrote:There are two cases of murder definitely happening. The first one being, I pull the lever, and the second one being, I don't pull the lever on track B, since the chance of them committing murder is one hundred percent. So I would not pull the lever, choosing whichever track the train is already on. I do not believe in murder by omission, so if the train leaves someone alive who is a murderer I am not responsible, since I did not take action.
I have to ask would what if you knew you were on the track that was going to hit two innocent people and that you'd have to pull the lever to change tracks and instead hit one innocent person. Would you still choose to deny any responsibility and let two innocents die instead of one?

note: You are not the murder in this situation, merely a person faced with a tough decision.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Funnily enough, in another thread, in a different context, I recently said "being good at maths doesn't necessarily make you a good person.". I guess this puzzle demonstrates that!
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve3007 wrote:Funnily enough, in another thread, in a different context, I recently said "being good at maths doesn't necessarily make you a good person.". I guess this puzzle demonstrates that!
Reasoning can blind you from the moral problem. The other post where someone said emotions do more hindrance than a help to reason made me think of the reversing the roles a little.

If I had posted this in "ethics" I imagine the responses would've been quite different.

-- Updated October 13th, 2017, 12:06 pm to add the following --

What always puzzles me is setting up scenarios where the stakes are much higher. If there was a 50-50 chance that person stood before you would destroy all life on Earth ... at some point we all find a very, very grey area that really makes us shudder at ourselves and our own thoughts.
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Ghost:
What always puzzles me is setting up scenarios where the stakes are much higher. If there was a 50-50 chance that person stood before you would destroy all life on Earth ... at some point we all find a very, very grey area that really makes us shudder at ourselves and our own thoughts.
Yes, I think that's where these kinds of mental exercises are thought provoking - when you do a "reductio ad absurdum" - i.e. follow the logic until you reach a point where everyone can see the absurdities that it's possible to reach.

Another extreme that sprang to my mind as soon as I "got" this one: One of the tracks could have a very large number of people on it each with a very small chance of killing someone. The same reasoning that led me to throw away my common sense morality when faced with what looked like a mathematical challenge would lead to me ploughing my train through a whole army of people who are no more likely to commit murder than you or me! Reasoning leads to mass murder!
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

You have changed the question, asking me if I would choose, if I knew both tracks had people who would not commit murder. Would I rather kill one or two innocent people? I'm not sure, but is this question one of utilitarianism? But honestly I still would not act, as I don't believe in murder by omission. I also would not feel responsible, because I had no hand in any of the circumstances leading up to this. I also don't believe in moral responsibility. If I did I would have to spend my entire life in servitude. Have you ever heard of the drowning girl thought experiment, where a girl is drowning and if you are willing to spend the energy saving her, logically you should donate to charity? It was devised by Peter Singer. You can easily expand on that and say you should also be willing to do a lot more. Also, do you believe the people in that situation would advocate for their own lives if they could interact with you? Would the one person on track A say kill me and save them?
Chili

Post by Chili »

Burning ghost wrote:Here is the situation (one you may be somewhat familiar with) ...

You are on a train track and can pull a lever to change tracks. No matter what you do you have to choose either track A or track B.

On track A there is a man who is 70% likely to murder several people.
On track B there are two men who are both 50% likely to murder several people.

Which track do you take?
How do we know these percentages? Are we perhaps exhibiting the "soft bigotry of low expectations"? I could expect the best from all of these men and then run down only one. Also, what people would be "murdered" by the men ? Perhaps some or all of these 3 are law-enforcement officers sent by Janet Reno, and the "murders" are only in the eyes of anti-government right -wingers?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Generally speaking, if I find two options difficult to choose from I stop worrying because that means they are probably close enough that my decision doesn't much matter.

It's more realistic to imagine that the percentages aren't known, so all one would see is three people tied to the tracks. Thus the option would be to kill one person or two.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream