Grammar as fascism

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Amokxy
New Trial Member

Grammar as fascism

Post by Amokxy »

Some of my proposed posts have been rejected because of grammatical reasons, I think. It seems presumptuous of this place to do so, considering that grammar is part of philosophical play. For instance, the insistence of certain kinds of capitalization. I am posting more words now because concision is not valued here. Btw, I did not capitalize 'grammar', it was done automatically.

It seems that contacting scott is impossible.
Burning ghost

Re: Grammar as fascism

Post by Burning ghost »

It takes a while for your posts to go through.

If posts have been rejected (for any reason), I assume the mods would contact you and tell you why?
AKA badgerjelly
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

does being asked to make an effort to make your posts comprehensible really amount to fascism?
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Everything somebody doesn't like is "fascism".
You get a yellow card for choke-holding an opposing player in a soccer match?
Fascism!
You lose a chess game for moving the rook diagonally>
Fascism.
Grammar-bot does its job?
F******
And every complaint is "philosophy".
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

No posts have been rejected for grammar issues of late that I can remember. Different mods have different approaches and I would rather trust than micromanage. However, in this instance I'm sure Burning Ghost is correct.

Note, I never tell members about the posts they reject. Rather I act like a silent knife in the dark - like 99.9% of other mods on the web. This reduced my workload by a factor of ten, which matters if one's paypacket is zero.

Concision is valued on the forum but not "single word" or "meaningless" answers.

And Alias, thanks - the overstatement in public conversation is underwhelming. I especially liked 'And every complaint is "philosophy"' (generally, no reference to the OP). There's a remarkable number of malcontents on philosophy forums. Negativity, of course, is not "deeper" or "more profound" than positivity. It's just a more defensive approach.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Greta -

A big problem with this site is that mods act silently like a knife in the dark. I find it hard to believe there are so many rejected posts that you cannot spare 10 seconds to explain the problem with a post?

Just copy and paste the post, send to the person who sent it and, if needed, highlight the problem area.

I think there is a certain hostility being thrown at a potential new member of the site? Why? Simply reduce the paranoia (which may not be paranoia considering the history of the mods on this site not exactly flooding me with confidence.) Spectrum made other complaint in the past about his posts being rejected because of the subject matter (I admit although Spectrum may word some items rather "clumsily"/"badly" he at least is willing to explore topics without worrying about offending someone.)

If the person here is complaining about rejection then maybe they've been too verbose rather than having muddled grammar? If we have to write purely in prescriptive grammar then that is a problem. I wouldn't be surprised if posts were rejected simply because they go over the heads of the reader from time to time.

note: I could point to several OP's made by mods that are verging on being nonsense/meaningless.

As for "Fascism" ... kind of a funny comment :P

Some words from Orwell I read recently:
... even the people who recklessly fling the word "Fascist" in every direction attach at any rate an emotional significance to it. By "Fascism" they mean, roughly speaking, something cruel, unscrupulous, arrogant, obscurantist, anti-liberal and anti-working-class. Except for the relatively small number of Fascist sympathisers, almost any English person would accept "bully" as a synonym for "Fascist". That is about as near to a definition as this much-abused word has come.
- Tribune, 24 March 1944
In this respect if a new member has their first OP rejected I can understand if they feel victimized or bullied. A simple polite suggestion would go a long way IF their post has actually been rejected. Other than that I can only suggest patience and perhaps a more prominent reminder for new members that posts take time to be accepted.

I don't in anyway think it is fair to simply reject a post and leave a potential new member hanging.

It is what is what it is! We can only try and do better (or worse.)
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I think "Grammar as fascism" is the wrong way to write it. It's the application of the rules of grammar that is the point here. The concept of grammar itself surely cannot be fascism. I think a better title would be:

"The arbitrary, overzealous, or excessively strict application of the rules of grammar, by moderators, without due consideration for the purpose of those rules in rendering the text comprehensible is somewhat analogous to elements of the political movement known as Fascism."

Anything less than that should be culled, ruthlessly.

Also: As Greta says, the moderators don't get paid anything so we should probably go easy on them. I turned the job down, so would consider myself to be on extremely thin ice (while simultaneously living in a glass house and throwing stones) if I criticized them.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Why should we go easy on them?

If a bad job is being done then why not point it out. Work, free or otherwise, is still work. If it's deemed work of poor quality then I think it makes sense to say so.

Whether anything gets done bout it is entirely up to the community and mods together. If I am personally very unhappy then I would leave. I am not that unhappy about it, but think it worthwhile saying things could be better in some areas without much extra effort.

In regards to the OP I am assuming it is simply down to lack of patience and that the post has not caught the eye of a mod yet ... if not I would be interested to see what the fuss was about?
AKA badgerjelly
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

It seems that contacting scott is impossible.
I think, as the founder of our movement, Scott is now a semi-mythical figure. Did he ever really exist is a literal sense, or is he just a metaphor for something? We might ask ourselves rhetorically. He's a bit like Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now.

-- Updated Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:22 am to add the following --

Burning Ghost:
Why should we go easy on them?
Fair point. Not getting paid is no excuse. Let 'em have it.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Steve -

All those opposed to public floggings say "Nay!", all those for, say "Aye!" :D haha!
AKA badgerjelly
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

If you must have flogging, or caning, or spanking - better public than secret.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream