Circumcision. Seeking opinions based on personal experiences

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
LuckyR

Re: Circumcision. Seeking opinions based on personal experiences

Post by LuckyR »

A_Seagull wrote: April 12th, 2018, 4:53 pm
Fooloso4 wrote: April 12th, 2018, 1:46 pm Lucky’s unstated point is that minors cannot legally, and many would argue ethically, give informed consent. They are considered to be too young to make informed decisions.
Well that is my point too. If they are too young to give informed consent then they should not be assaulted physically (or sexually for that matter.)
Should children receive medical care (since they can't give informed consent)? If so, who has the authority to give the consent?
"As usual... it depends."
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

In the case of children the parents/guardians/state have the authority.
Unknown means unknown.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Lucky, your question is one to which you and I know the answer along with recent examples about hospitalised children , in the news media . I think that the USA's laws regarding care of the child will not be significantly different from the UK laws. I leave the answer to Seagull to whom your question is addressed.
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

Eduk wrote: April 13th, 2018, 3:32 am In the case of children the parents/guardians/state have the authority.
And their children, on reaching maturity, should have the right to sue and claim damages from their parents.
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Seagull, it sounds far-fetched but I agree that parents are abusive who do unnecessary body modifications on their kids. And circumcision is a lot worse than some earring or tattoo.

Hospitalised kids sometimes have to be protected against parents who insist upon preserving their child's life as long as possible sometimes even when the child is suffering.

Parents are abusive who for religious reasons refuse to allow their child to have a blood transfusion.

Parents are abusive who indoctrinate their child into some religion or cult.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Seagull you can only sue someone for something illegal. Not harming someone is considered legally ok, for the most part. And parents/guardians/states have a duty of care to the young, which is quite legal.
Unknown means unknown.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Parents have the right to suggest to their children their beliefs and illusions; but they do not have the right to impose those beliefs and illusions on their children and especially not in a physical way from which there is no return.

And should the parents do this and should the children subsequently wish to seek redress then they should have the right to do so through the courts.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Seagull I'm not sure what you are arguing with. Lucky asked if children should receive medical care. You seem to assuming all medical care is harmful. I'm not sure why.
Unknown means unknown.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Eduk wrote: April 14th, 2018, 6:29 pm Seagull I'm not sure what you are arguing with. Lucky asked if children should receive medical care. You seem to assuming all medical care is harmful. I'm not sure why.
I refer you to my post on this thread on 11/04/18 4.10 pm.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

A_Seagull wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm Parents have the right to suggest to their children their beliefs and illusions; but they do not have the right to impose those beliefs and illusions on their children and especially not in a physical way from which there is no return.

And should the parents do this and should the children subsequently wish to seek redress then they should have the right to do so through the courts.
Anyone can sue anybody for anything. That is not in question. However winning the lawsuit, that is a very different matter. Like I said before, good luck with your lawsuit.
"As usual... it depends."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

LuckyR wrote: April 15th, 2018, 3:19 am
A_Seagull wrote: April 14th, 2018, 5:44 pm Parents have the right to suggest to their children their beliefs and illusions; but they do not have the right to impose those beliefs and illusions on their children and especially not in a physical way from which there is no return.

Anyone can sue anybody for anything. That is not in question. However winning the lawsuit, that is a very different matter. Like I said before, good luck with your lawsuit.
I agree with Seagull as moralist and also with Lucky as legalist. Laws reflect morality albeit they can be slow to catch up with morality.
I say good luck to all ex-children who are suing adults for historical abuse.It's happening now.

There will be extenuating circumstances for abusive adults who can plead that circumcision of males was the custom at that time and place.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Seagull I may be wrong. But I think the point lucky was making is that if a child broke their arm, for example, who would have the right to consent for them to receive medical care.
Again I might be wrong about the point lucky was making, but why do you think lucky would make that point?
Unknown means unknown.
Kathyd

Post by Kathyd »

Well, I would hope that we'd all agree that, regardless of how you feel about circumcision, it's certainly a parent's right to circumcise (or to not circumcise) their child. Until of legal age, parents are morally and even legally responsible for the welfare and actions of their children, so obviously they should have the right to make basic decisions concerning their welfare. And it is also obviously a very personal decision which nobody has the right to judge anyone else for. And suggesting children should have the right to sue their parents over something like this is ludicrous. The truth is that you do not have the right to judge me or anyone else over such a personal decision. Who are you to judge?

This is what always happens in the circumcision debate. Instead of rationally debating the pros and cons, people inevitable bring up morality, 'rights', and begin morally denigrating each other, i.e. 'judging'.

Like this:
As it was you began with cold calculation and followed through apparently without any remorse.
All is not lost and he will probably forgive you if you are truly sorry.
But Kathy's soul can be sorted and that will benefit her son.
This is classic shaming. As if I should be remorseful and I need forgiveness for doing something that a majority of people in my society do (75% of men are circed in the U.S.). "cold calculation.." As if I'm doing something truly evil and despicable.

I don't have anything to be remorseful for, and I don't need any forgiveness. Because I didn't do anything wrong. I just made a personal decision concerning my own child, which I not only have the right to do, but also the legal responsibility to do, and you make it sound like I committed some kind of crime. And not just a 'moral crime' but even an actual legal crime, as if it should be illegal with fines and punishments, and civil suits for 'damages'. It truly does a disservice to the discussion and is combative in nature. And it only drives people further apart, rather than bringing them together.

I'd also like to comment on this, because it's similar to what many of my friends said,
And you think that removing his foreskin is going to curtail his interest? Did you find any credible contemporary research to back up your assumption? There is all kinds of stuff readily available with the a click. It is not something I have to worry about so I have not looked into it but I would be very surprised if the opinions of professionals included circumcision as a way of dealing with it.
First, I've already posted in this thread all the examples of how historically circumcision was used to curtail masturbation and other 'excessive' sexual practices. In fact, circumcision began in the U.S. as a means of curtailing masturbation in teen boys.

And second, doesn't the premise make sense at face value? For example, let's take eating sweets as an example. Let's suppose that eating sweets was 4 times more pleasurable for you. Or maybe 10 or even 100 or a 1000 times. Wouldn't you probably eat more sweets? Or let's say that eating sweets became 4 times less pleasurable for your taste buds. Or maybe 10 times less, or how about you get no pleasure at all? Don't you think that at some point, with less and less pleasure received from eating sweets, that you would eat fewer sweet foods? Of course you would. And the same should be true for any other pleasure. Don't you think my son would masturbate more if it were 1000 times more pleasurable? Or a million? And wouldn't he masturbate less if it were 1000 times less pleasurable? Or how about if it didn't feel good in the least? It seems obvious to me that at some point, whether the pleasure becomes more or less, it will lead to a change in the respective behavior. This is really common sense, and I'm puzzled that anyone would dispute this. :?
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Kathyd wrote: April 15th, 2018, 6:51 pm it's certainly a parent's right to circumcise (or to not circumcise) their child.
No, parents do not have that right. Children are people too.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

Or to put it another way.......:

Circumcision, whether male or female, instigated by the parents and without the child's informed consent is symptomatic of parental selfishness and bullying. It has no place in a civilised society.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream