What's happening here?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Maxcady10001

What's happening here?

Post by Maxcady10001 »

If you dislike one particular thing, do you dislike everything? Is detesting one aspect of reality, the same as detesting all of it? If a person says they don't like the outcome of a specific event, do they not like all previous and subsequent events of the outcome? It doesn't seem like anything can be picked from the whole of reality and be deemed more or less likable. Ex: If I say I do not like the way chairs are, consequently, I don't like the people who made the chairs, the reasons chairs are made, the people who continue to sit in chairs, the inventors of chairs, the suppliers of the chairs material, and every event leading up to and continuing the use of chairs.
The same would apply to anything a person likes, It would end up including every aspect of reality.
Steve3007

Re: What's happening here?

Post by Steve3007 »

What you appear to be talking about here is the "fundamental interconnectedness of all things". i.e the fact that every event is one node in a complex web of causes and effects. You then seem to conclude from this that if you dislike one node, you have to dislike every node to which it is connected. i.e. everything.

I guess that would only be true if your dislike propagates through this web of cause/effect, from each node to the next, in a completely lossless way. If the web of cause and effect is a superconductor of dislike then, yes, if you dislike one thing you dislike everything. But I don't think it is. I think there is resistance.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

What is the resistance? If I were to destroy one node, in a system where all nodes are connected, wouldn't it ruin the flow of the entire system?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

What is the resistance?
I suppose resistance might be caused by various things. Being a web, perhaps it would just be dispersion rather than resistance. You inject a certain quantity of dislike into the web at one node and as it spreads out it gets diluted.
If I were to destroy one node, in a system where all nodes are connected, wouldn't it ruin the flow of the entire system?
Only if it's a chain. Not if it's a web. Think of packet switching in the internet. Removing one computer from the web doesn't take down the entire internet.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

That's a good point about the system not being destroyed in a web, but if it's dispersion, how does dislike not spread to all nodes?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Maybe it does spread to all nodes, but gets so diluted in the process that it becomes indistinguishable from the random background level of dislike.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

So when disliking one thing, we are disliking everything? What you said before, about how destroying one node wouldn't ruin the flow of all nodes, would it just change the flow of the entire system?
Chili

Post by Chili »

Maxcady10001 wrote:So when disliking one thing, we are disliking everything? What you said before, about how destroying one node wouldn't ruin the flow of all nodes, would it just change the flow of the entire system?
People respond to particular things. Not everyone overthinks - or even thinks - much about things like interconnectedness. People often imagine situations in terms of two sides or forces which are set off against one another: my sports team vs another, good vs evil, minimal government vs nanny state, etc, such that to dislike or even hate one thing is to be very much *for* the opposing thing. Humans very much like fresh food but generally despise rotting matter and there is no contradiction there that taints all of creation.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I would disagree about the contradiction. If a person says they like one sports team and hate another, that has to be a contradiction considering interconnectedness.
Chili

Post by Chili »

Maxcady10001 wrote:I would disagree about the contradiction. If a person says they like one sports team and hate another, that has to be a contradiction considering interconnectedness.
You are assiduously overthinking. My favorite joke about overthinking is the one from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

In a comical reversal of the image of the ostrich with its head in the sand, the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal is described as assuming that if you can't see it, then it can't see you.

And thus you can defend yourself against it by wrapping a towel around your head.

A lion chases zebras to eat them rather than chasing elephants - is this some sort of "contradiction" ?

-- Updated November 11th, 2017, 11:19 am to add the following --

ok, sometimes lions attack and eat elephants. There are smells that people will tend to gravitate toward and others that people will flee from. Can you describe how this is some kind of contradiction?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I think I know the heart of the issue, but most people just don't like admitting it and talk of some serene idea of 'unity' without realizing the path to such nonsense never ends and is full of pain and suffering, and it may be for nothing.

Your dislike is dislike of yourself. Come to terms with all you hate in the world by understanding it is you at the heart, it is you effected, it is you who frames things the way you do.

It is really hard to really understand the seemingly endless depths this goes to. It is truly horrific to face let alone to begin to deal with it. If you've no idea what I'm talking about then be thankful for now, but be sure I am not talking in metaphors here. There is nothing more real and brutal than yourself, nothing more dangerously beautiful, hideously destructive or empty of meaning.

No one of sane mind will willfully seek out their own limit and teeter on the brink.
AKA badgerjelly
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

You're just mentioning biological differences, specifically pepoles reaction to different pheromones.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Max -

Who on earth is that reply for?
AKA badgerjelly
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Chili said some people react to certain smells in different ways.

-- Updated November 11th, 2017, 12:47 pm to add the following --

Burning Ghost
You mention all like or dislike stemming from like or dislike of oneself. How would you organize everything, as a chain or a web? If it all stems from oneself, it must be a chain. By everything, I mean the nodes me and Steve3007 were referring to earlier, the nodes making up every event and outcome.

-- Updated November 11th, 2017, 12:52 pm to add the following --

Steve3007
What do you think of Burning Ghost' organization of everything liked or disliked with oneself at the center? If oneself is at the center does the system of nodes become a chain?
Georgeanna

Post by Georgeanna »

Maxcady10001 wrote:Chili said some people react to certain smells in different ways.
Please ignore all of my previous posts which have still to be approved, and so you cannot see at this particular moment of writing. **

I get it. This thread is deliberately tangled in the way of a mystery murder.
It's murder, Jim, but not as we know it.
It's an holistic investigation as per Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently who operates on the fundamental interconnectedness of all things.
Now, do I get a prize, or what ??
Approval would do :)

** The posts were disapproved since they are redundant. Please do not add noise to the forum by whining about approval delays.

I live in Australia and alas, while I try to stay up all night every night to ensure that Americans and European posts are approved in a timely manner on this free service, sometimes I cannot stay awake - Greta

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream