Why do we exist?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Bebelle
New Trial Member

Re: Why do we exist?

Post by Bebelle »

Pelegrin_1 wrote: November 27th, 2017, 9:57 pm We exist because one evolutionary path led to us, led to the existence of what we call ourselves: humans/Homo sapiens sapiens. That's the simplest and most direct answer. Anything more would have to deal with the mechanisms of evolution or more specifically the elements/details of the evolutionary path that resulted with humans coming into existence. But then, is that really a philosophical question, or is it an evolutionary science question?

"Why do we exist?" is not a philosophical question!
Well, it is you that apparently is not seeing the depth of the question, ok, we evolution, so what? Why the heck are we here for? My question can not be simply answered with a "We exist because our mothers gave birth to us". If we were simply born just to be born, without a real purpose, then we are just living empty lives with empty reasons, therefore there is no reason to our existence since whether we live or not is irrelevant. So I made my question to see if anyone had the answer to this question because I want to find out a reason for my existence so then I can truly exist, if that is important to you is for you to decide.
Freudian Monkey

Post by Freudian Monkey »

The realization that life has no meaning can also be the most liberating experience you can have. You can decide yourself what you want to do with your life. Seeing everyone you meet and everything you do as an endless stream of opportunities makes life incredibly rewarding.
Pelegrin_1

Post by Pelegrin_1 »

Bebelle wrote: December 7th, 2017, 12:33 am
Well, it is you that apparently is not seeing the depth of the question, ok, we evolution, so what? Why the heck are we here for? My question can not be simply answered with a "We exist because our mothers gave birth to us". If we were simply born just to be born, without a real purpose, then we are just living empty lives with empty reasons, therefore there is no reason to our existence since whether we live or not is irrelevant. So I made my question to see if anyone had the answer to this question because I want to find out a reason for my existence so then I can truly exist, if that is important to you is for you to decide.
Even though we haven't been born with a reason to exist, other than the fact that our parents and ancestors generally wished to further their genetic line, we can, on the other hand, each give our own life meaning by establishing our own personal reasons to make our lives meaningful or purposeful. The problem many seem to have with that is that you want there to be some grander reason for your existence, something beyond you, some transcendent reason, something that brings us in someway at least fractionally closer to godlike creatures rather than merely being the highest evolved animal on this planet where we live.

After the human species conjured up Gods to worship, it was the next logical step that we would then imagine that we have some distinct connect with those Gods or that God, and less of a connection with the natural world from which we came. This effort to place some extra meaning or significance to our existence is simply an effort to inch us more closer to the God side of a line that has godliness at one end and the natural world at the other. Think about it! Isn't that correct?
Pelegrin_1

Post by Pelegrin_1 »

Freudian Monkey wrote: December 7th, 2017, 4:52 am The realization that life has no meaning can also be the most liberating experience you can have. You can decide yourself what you want to do with your life. Seeing everyone you meet and everything you do as an endless stream of opportunities makes life incredibly rewarding.
That almost sounds like something I could imagine Richard Dawkins saying, in the same way he speaks of the marvels of scientific discovery, the universe and the natural world, as having so much to take wonder from without thinking that some Holy book has the answers to all and imagining some God creator.

So yes, I'm very much in agreement with your post, though I hadn't previously thought about extending my opinion to the point that you've made here.
Freudian Monkey

Post by Freudian Monkey »

In my view our lives evolve around the concept of power, which I define and discuss further in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15226

I'm still pondering about how the concept of power relates to the meaning of life and I make some suggestions in the aforementioned thread. Please join the discussion there!
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Chili wrote: December 6th, 2017, 11:34 pm
Count Lucanor wrote: December 5th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Excuse me, where was that when I supposedly said that "things are in practice too complex to comprehend"? When did I say "agency is justified (or caused) by complexity"?
What else could your objections mean? Why else would it be significant that processes are "non linear" ?
A couple of good reasons will be:

1) To correct your impression that a person can only think scientifically in terms of mechanistic processes.
2) To correct your claim that physical interactions occur only in linear, unidirectional processes, "like dominoes falling over in a cascade / avalanche which began with the big bang if not before."

What else could they mean.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Chili

Post by Chili »

Count Lucanor wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:38 pm
Chili wrote: December 6th, 2017, 11:34 pm

What else could your objections mean? Why else would it be significant that processes are "non linear" ?
A couple of good reasons will be:

1) To correct your impression that a person can only think scientifically in terms of mechanistic processes.
2) To correct your claim that physical interactions occur only in linear, unidirectional processes, "like dominoes falling over in a cascade / avalanche which began with the big bang if not before."

What else could they mean.
Certainly you would have given some examples if you could think of some.
Chili

Post by Chili »

The way that a computer simulation works is by breaking things down into individual interactions. The dominoes. The fact that so many chains of cause-and-effect - so many waves on the ocean - are all meeting at a given point in space doesn't make something so complex as to be intrinsically "more than" or "other than" linear interactions. I think if you really had any acquaintance with science this would not come as much of a surprise.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Chili wrote: December 7th, 2017, 9:56 pm The way that a computer simulation works is by breaking things down into individual interactions. The dominoes. The fact that so many chains of cause-and-effect - so many waves on the ocean - are all meeting at a given point in space doesn't make something so complex as to be intrinsically "more than" or "other than" linear interactions. I think if you really had any acquaintance with science this would not come as much of a surprise.
You obviously don't know what you talk about. Anyone with basic knowledge of computers knows that they operate with algorithms, which are sequential and rigorously predetermined in order for the instructions to flow, step by step, from the initial input to the final output, otherwise they'll crash. That's why they can only simulate events and can't be autonomous. Unlike the reality of nature, open and contingent.

Surely I never had acquaintance with the poor version of science that you handle.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Chili

Post by Chili »

Count Lucanor wrote: December 7th, 2017, 11:39 pm That's why they can only simulate events and can't be autonomous. Unlike the reality of nature, open and contingent.
Well, it's poetic. I'll give it that.
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

Perhaps at the most fundamental level the reason that organisms, such as we humans, exist is to garner energy from a source such as the Sun, albeit perhaps indirectly, that then allows the endothermic reaction of genetic reproduction to proceed.

:)
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Post by A_Seagull »

Perhaps at the most fundamental level the reason that organisms, such as we humans, exist is to garner energy from a source such as the Sun, albeit perhaps indirectly, that then allows the endothermic reaction of genetic reproduction to proceed.

:)
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

If we were simply born just to be born, without a real purpose, then we are just living empty lives with empty reasons, therefore there is no reason to our existence since whether we live or not is irrelevant. So I made my question to see if anyone had the answer to this question because I want to find out a reason for my existence so then I can truly exist, if that is important to you is for you to decide
You speak in terms such as "empty lives" and "empty reasons" which speaks to the reader that you believe you are capable of determining such things. Isn't the problem then, that your interpretation of the question: "why do we exist" the true root of your problem? You have decided a life without objective purpose is "empty" and devoid of meaning, regardless of whether it is objectively true that we have no objective meaning, it is not objectively true that this results in our lives being empty and meaningless. Hence, amend this interpretation and your problems are resolved, there is no need for an answer to your question.
Pelegrin_1

Post by Pelegrin_1 »

Judaka wrote: December 22nd, 2017, 8:28 am You speak in terms such as "empty lives" and "empty reasons" which speaks to the reader that you believe you are capable of determining such things. Isn't the problem then, that your interpretation of the question: "why do we exist" the true root of your problem? You have decided a life without objective purpose is "empty" and devoid of meaning, regardless of whether it is objectively true that we have no objective meaning, it is not objectively true that this results in our lives being empty and meaningless. Hence, amend this interpretation and your problems are resolved, there is no need for an answer to your question.
I so much completely agree with all of the above. In one of my previous posts above, I just took what you've said here a bit further... There is all kinds of meaning for humans to derive from life if we choose to do so, and not view life as something too mundane to appreciate. For many people, who hold in their minds the concept of some God being, if they, as humans, can't in some way associate themselves with that God then mere human existence, or their human life, isn't enough for them.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

A_Seagull wrote: December 9th, 2017, 5:30 am Perhaps at the most fundamental level the reason that organisms, such as we humans, exist is to garner energy from a source such as the Sun [...]
Actually, not so much garnering energy for its own sake, but using the energy to increase entropy in the universe. That's what life does.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream