Virtues and the individual

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Virtues and the individual

Post by Eduk »

That just feels a bit fatalistic to me.
For example Harris puts forward the argument that free will is an illusion. Whereas Dennett says we are not absolutely free but we are free 'enough'. I can see arguments that altruism could be entirely 'fake' but personally I think it's 'real enough'.
Again tough stuff to really prove.
Unknown means unknown.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I see it as more empowering than fatalistic, the ability to cope with all of your apparent reality.
Something I always thought was weird, was Harris getting so much credit for claiming free will an illusion. Free will was being refuted thousands of years ago by Democritus and Leucippus, and has since been refuted so many times, he acts as if all the arguments against free will were intuitive to him. And I said in another thread I didn't get Dan Dennett's compatibilism.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Well I think compatibilism is logically possible. Doesn't mean it's true though. At the end of the day no one knows what free will 'is', so for me you shouldn't say it is one thing or another, only that one thing or another is possible or more or less likely.
I agree about Harris, I only name dropped him as he has easy to view, recent, YouTube videos.
Unknown means unknown.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I do listen to Harris's podcast, despite what he's done in claiming free will. I do not want to make this a free will thread, but if you can, please explain what you mean by no one knows what free will is, and compatibilism is logically possible.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

There are the 'conditional virtues' of the thoughts/ego! They do lead to suffering.
There are the 'unconditional' (transcendental) Virtues of unconditional Love/Enlightenment;

True, unconditional Love is ALWAYS Known by It's unconditional Virtues; Compassion, Empathy, Sympathy, Gratitude, Humility, Charity (Charity is never taking more than your share of anything, ever!), Honesty, Happiness, Faith...
ALWAYS!
No 'suffering'. *__-

“Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” - Rumi

tat tvam asi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tat_Tvam_Asi)
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

What are these conditional virtues you mention? What's the difference between a conditional and unconditional virtue?
Empathy, love, and happiness are emotions, and an emotion cannot be a virtue, as virtues must be acted out voluntarily, just look at the difference between these and the other unconditional virtues you name, there is clearly a difference of voluntarism.
Also, I do not see how humility leads to unconditional love.Humility is also harmful to the individual. A person who is humble has a low estimate of themselves. That is what humility encourages, lowering a person's estimate of themselves in relation to others. It is raising others above themselves, and it is obviously harmful. Why should anyone consider another above himself?
Also, the argument is easily made that honesty and faith are harmful to the individual. Consider honesty, if a person were truly honest, they would come to be detested by everyone they met. They would always point out others flaws, and weaknesses, they would be cruel in their implacable honesty. The argument can also be made, that in order to love and be loved, a person must lie. Consider your relationships with those around you, do you always tell the truth, of course not, in order to maintain a degree of pleasantness in our everyday interactions we all lie. Now regarding faith, faith is harmful to the individual because it despises action. To have faith is not to act, but to be complacent and hope for the most impractical conclusions. It is not to be actionable, and to do what is necessary to survive and thrive. There is suffering of the individual, when the individual resorts to complete honesty, and faith.
Also, what makes virtues transcendental? What is it they are transcending?
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I do see how humility leads to an unconditional love of others, however it teaches an individual to despise himself.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Maxcady10001 wrote: December 16th, 2017, 4:37 pm What are these conditional virtues you mention? What's the difference between a conditional and unconditional virtue?
Good question! *__-
I assume that you are familiar with the common meaning of these terms?
'Conditional' means that there are 'conditions'. For example; I love you because you have great hooters and a sense of humor! That 'love' is conditional on the state of your breasts and your humor. The loss of either/both would mean the loss of that 'conditional' love. It depends on the 'conditions'.

Empathy, love, and happiness are emotions, and an emotion cannot be a virtue, as virtues must be acted out voluntarily, just look at the difference between these and the other unconditional virtues you name, there is clearly a difference of voluntarism.
Some definitions; 'feelings' are 'thought/ego'.
'Emotions' are the physical manifestation of those perceived 'thought/feelings/ego. As the 'ego/thought' is conditional, so is all that exists therein!
For instance, 'happiness' of the ego is a conditional, relative, thing. A new ruby might make you feel good (a pseudo happiness), aka 'happy' (for a moment), but that moment passes, as does the ruby, as does the newness, as does the initial good feelings.
All conditional is temporal, illusion of thought.
'Morality', the (forbidden/egoic) judging of others as 'good' or 'evil' is conditional, of the ego.
'Ethics' is unconditional, of unconditional Love/Enlightenment;
'Ethics' is "Do not do to others what you don't want done to yourself!" It does not depend on conditions, but transcends all conditions, all limitations, all boundaries, all duality all space all time... etc... Is Universal, unconditional!
The unconditional can only be Known when experienced (like everything else)! It cannot be defined because words are limitations, lies, inherently dualistic, inherently conditional.
Get the idea?
Also, I do not see how humility leads to unconditional love.
I never said that it does, nor would I.
I did say that the state of unconditional Humility is a feature of unconditional Love! Mutually arising!
Humility is also harmful to the individual. A person who is humble has a low estimate of themselves.

Not so at all! Perhaps 'false humility', the Uriah Heeping routine, the wringing of hands and bowing of head as to APPEAR humble to others, usually with an agenda! All ego!
That is what humility encourages, lowering a person's estimate of themselves in relation to others. It is raising others above themselves, and it is obviously harmful. Why should anyone consider another above himself?
Actually, you still describe false humility of the ego, sly humility, broken harmful, hurtful, ego spew!
When you experience unconditional Love/Enlightenment, you will experience the dissolution of all boundaries, all limitations, all notions/thoughts of any autonomous 'I', no 'I' at all, but a Universal, unconditional, transcendental We!
An intelligent, Honest, Charitable, Happy... person has no trouble admitting not Knowing everything and Humility comes easy. There is no putting one person down and another up, that is all the schizophrenic duality of the ego!
The Wise never believe anything that they think or feel!
Also, the argument is easily made that honesty and faith are harmful to the individual.

And again I agree with you, but it is "conditional honesty" and "conditional 'faith'"!
Believing the ego is always ultimately harmful and = suffering!
Consider honesty, if a person were truly honest, they would come to be detested by everyone they met. They would always point out others flaws, and weaknesses, they would be cruel in their implacable honesty.

Yes! CONDITIONAL, egoic 'honesty'!
When you reread the Virtues that spontaneously arise with unconditional Love, you might notice that 'Honesty' in the company of Compassion and Sympathy and Empathy and Charity, etc... is very different than the conditional egoic toxin with which you are familiar.
Also, what makes virtues transcendental? What is it they are transcending?
I hope that somewhere in all those words, you might find that question answered. If not, I'd be happy to elucidate from other Perspectives.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I was not at all familiar with unconditional virtues. You're right there does not seem to be anything harmful in these unconditional virtues. I also understand how they could be transcendental. However, this is an idea that i'm afraid is unachievable, as everything is conditional. Love is conditional, faith is conditional, honesty is conditional, these are all conditional.
Might you be able to give a circumstances where they are not? All of the virtues you've named require some condition, and the idea of them being unconditional is not realistic. You could never love someone for without the condition of their being of some relation, or wife, or the way they look, or act. Loving anyone simply because they exist is not at all attainable (unless you find out they are the only other person on Earth, but that is conditional). This theory of unconditional virtuosity is not relevant because all possible virtuous behavior is conditional.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Maxcady10001 wrote: December 16th, 2017, 10:17 pm I was not at all familiar with unconditional virtues. You're right there does not seem to be anything harmful in these unconditional virtues. I also understand how they could be transcendental. However, this is an idea that i'm afraid is unachievable, as everything is conditional. Love is conditional, faith is conditional, honesty is conditional, these are all conditional.
I hear you saying 'unachievable' because you have yet to 'achieve/experience' it!
I'd say that you, like us all, predominately experience ego/thought/duality. When that is the totality of our experience, the ego doesn't even want to acknowledge the existence of the transcendental (as it transcends the delicate ego!)!
That is the default human position, at the moment.
More and more, though, people are awakening in the dream, and becoming unconditional Love/Enlightened.
Universal unconditional Love/Enlightenment is Our future! Only 2 centuries away!
We can start now! (Unconditional Love transcends all 'time' and 'space', all 'life' and 'death'!)

“Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” - Rumi

tat tvam asi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tat_Tvam_Asi)
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I asked for an example of anyone achieving unconditional virtuosity, and you say due to the human position it is impossible at the moment, so how is this relevant to the harm conditioned virtuosity inflicts on the individual now? What do you mean when you say people are experiencing unconditional love in dream states? Honestly, I checked out the link, and to be honest I try to stay away from the metaphysical. I don't understand how there can be any ultimate reality, that is not apparent in this reality, and I don't understand how there could be any primordial self. These things seem like a denial of our apparent reality, calling it false, and I don't see the use in such a thing.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Maxcady10001 wrote: December 16th, 2017, 11:26 pm I asked for an example of anyone achieving unconditional virtuosity, and you say due to the human position it is impossible at the moment,

Please don't put words in my mouth, I said no such thing!
I did say that it is uncommon to experience the transcendental.
That is a far cry from 'impossible'!
so how is this relevant to the harm conditioned virtuosity inflicts on the individual now?

It is the same relevance as having and using a crappy recipe to make meatloaf for all your life because you had no better recipe.
I am showing you the new recipe that results in the best meatloaf possible, ever, and you are arguing because you have become accustomed to the crap, and have yet to taste the new recipe!
A common response; "Been down so long it looks like up to me!"
What do you mean when you say people are experiencing unconditional love in dream states? Honestly, I checked out the link, and to be honest I try to stay away from the metaphysical.

To be honest, the metaphysical refers to ultimate Universal Reality. Some deal with the bigger pictures, others deal with how much cheese for the nachos. Between Us All, ALL is Known! We are Omni-!
It is all a 'dream', 'make-believe', to 'believe' is insanity.
Schizophrenia is the fragmentation of that which is One! That is what the ego/thoughts do!
I don't understand how there can be any ultimate reality, that is not apparent in this reality, and I don't understand how there could be any primordial self. These things seem like a denial of our apparent reality, calling it false, and I don't see the use in such a thing.
The pragmatic use is the difference between your crap meatloaf and the best.
It is not that unconditional Love/Enlightenment is necessarily 'useful', it is the ultimate state of being, the Universal state of Being!
There are many 'pragmatic' aspects of having practically unlimited access to information/Perspectives/Consciousness!
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

I try to stay away from the metaphysical./quote]
Well, that is what this conversation is all about.
Perhaps I'll see you on another topic, but you can bet that I will be Ultimate Reality-ing (Universality) the hell out of it! *__-
Driving is always better when we have some clue how the car works! Same with Reality! *__-
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I am not arguing for conditioned virtues, this is implied when you say " A common response; "Been down so long it looks like up to me!"" I have been arguing against conditioned (or all possible virtues) virtues the entire thread.
By between us all, do you mean bean everything that makes up the universe, known and unknown?
You say achieving unconditioned virtuosity is uncommon, but not impossible, yet it does defy human nature, to be unconditionally anything defies human nature. Everything people do is conditional. We are having a conversation, under the condition we are both reasonable. You say you are showing me the way to unconditional virtuosity, but you're also telling me I have to be more than a human being. This does not seem fair.
Also, you made this topic about the metaphysical by introducing unconditional virtues.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Nameless
I have started a topic in the metaphysics section for discussing the impossibility of any ultimate reality.

Considering the harm in the individuals sacrifice for the species, the same relationship could be said of the relationship between the species and nature.

"The welfare of the individual is just as imaginary as the welfare of the species: the former is not sacrificed to the latter, species viewed from a distance is just as transient as the individual." (The Will to Power, pg.299)

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream