Desire

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Re: Desire

Post by Hereandnow »

Freudian Monkey:
This is a very interesting description, but I would still like to hear further clarification about whether the pursuit of control over one's internal reality can also be considered an attachment. In other words, are mental exercises to gain control over one's mental functions in opposition to the Buddhist teaching, since they are something one has to exercise to acquire? Is the pursuit of liberation also something that can become an attachment? What is the right way to approach moksa then if one cannot get too attached to the acquisition of control over his/her mental processes?

A recognized paradox of Buddhism is the simple fact that in order to rid yourself of attachments you have to want this. I guess if a person gets hooked a daily cycle of imperatives and goal setting and if the desire exceeds the practice, then that would be a neurotic problem. But really, Siddhartha Gautama did something extraordinary and so can I and everyone else, though it takes commitment.

A thought/feeling, a distraction, a discomfort, an attitude rises to conscious awareness. There it is. Goodbye, and get back to meditation of your breath, or some point of focus. Thoughts about wanting liberation are useful, like thoughts about how to get to a restaurant when your hungry. But one does not eat a road map.

I am a radical on this because I read in unfamiliar territory: What gets in the way is that one finds that the mind is fixed on an interpretative foundation that tells you underneath all you do that the world is the world. This fisity is strong and needs to be given up; and I'm talking about the assumption that when one faces the world in the everyday way one acknowledges the Real. But remember that meditation is a yoga, and so is philosophy, which means is yokes one to moksa ( I think I have this straight). Philosophy is inquiry that literally undoes the world by questioning its basic assumptions. We don't really see this very often if we never think philosophically very often (anyone who has read a lot and truly understands the last two hundred years of philosophy is going to be experientially altered). But beneath the skin of awareness of anything at all, there is a powerful set of beliefs that, again, literally, are fabric of the Real. You and I have this, as does anyone. Reality was never beyond and interpretative foundation that cats are cats and computers are computers. it is (and Martin Heidegger is very good on this) this IS, that is, the verb TO BE in our language that asserts itself in every utterance; every trip to the grocery store is a reaffirmation of an aggregate of language that stabilizes the world, and keeps one's awareness in check. This is, and I will make a grand statement here, this is dasein, this is Christian sin, this is what keeps us from nirvana. This latter term is the whole point of Buddhism. It's not just relaxing ones demons. It's perfect happiness, the kind of thing Kierkegaard went on about. When the Hindus talk of the atman and the Brahman, the former is human dasein. That latter is a very strange ontology. Christians call it heaven. Buddhists call it nirvana. Oh well. I think they're talking about he same thing. Wordsworth's Intimations of Immortality, and Ralph Waldo Emerson's little book called Nature, Rudolf Otto's The Idea of the Holy; and so on. Remember childhood and the unfettered thoughtless bliss of just sitting there? Maybe not. I do.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

fisity should be fiXity
Freudian Monkey

Post by Freudian Monkey »

Thank you for your thorough explanation. I'm not sure if I have anything else to add to this topic. Maxcady already expressed perfectly the way I view the desire for progression in life. I can understand the Buddhist approach to life, but I don't view it as a practical approach. I wholeheartedly agree that the pursuit of a more thorough control over one's thoughts and desires is something we should all strife towards, but only because it gives us control over our internal reality and therefore helps us grow and progress in life without any weaknesses of the mind getting in the way of this progression.

I recently heard a personal stories of people who have spent decades on a spiritual journey, pursuing only meditation and other related activities. He told that he appreciates the inner peace his meditative practice has brought him, but at the same time he acknowledged the fact that he has pretty much wasted almost two decades of his life, without making any progress on any front. He was thoroughly disillusioned of the corrupt meditation institutes of Thailand, where he had spent years. You rarely hear this side of the story - the story of a failed ascetic. I'm not sure why I brought up this story, since I don't want in anyway try to disprove or diminish meditative practice. I guess it just popped into my mind and it made it's way to written form.

Thanks again for the insightful explanation!
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Fumani:
Is the desire to achieve more in life in the broadest context an organic process in nature, or is it an artificial construct that is forged by the mind?
I think the idea that it is motivated by desire is a poetic or mythological image. As others have noted, it is similar to Nietzsche’s will to power. As I see it, it is not an organic process but rather a feature of matter, to self organize and develop what from our perspective appears to be greater and greater complexity. Of course the subatomic realm may contain a complexity far beyond what we might imagine. Desire itself may be an outcome of this feature of matter, although not a necessary outcome.

Hereandnow:
But beneath the skin of awareness of anything at all, there is a powerful set of beliefs that, again, literally, are fabric of the Real.
While I agree that our awareness is in part determined by our beliefs, I think that our beliefs are in part determined by our awareness. We must also keep in mind the historical shaping of our beliefs, or, in other words, that our beliefs are determined by our (‘our’ in the larger cultural and historical context) beliefs and practices. It is not clear what you mean by the ‘Real’ but it may itself be a set of beliefs, albeit more powerful for some than for others.
This is, and I will make a grand statement here, this is dasein, this is Christian sin, this is what keeps us from nirvana.
This may have more to do with one’s temperament than anything else. Some desire to see the same in difference but others think it important to maintain differences. Here I will only point out that Paul's notion of Grace, the power of God to transform man, to rid him of sin, is present neither in Heidegger nor notions of nirvana.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

fooloso4:
While I agree that our awareness is in part determined by our beliefs, I think that our beliefs are in part determined by our awareness. We must also keep in mind the historical shaping of our beliefs, or, in other words, that our beliefs are determined by our (‘our’ in the larger cultural and historical context) beliefs and practices. It is not clear what you mean by the ‘Real’ but it may itself be a set of beliefs, albeit more powerful for some than for others.
When I said this I was talking about the Reals of the everydayness of human dasein. To be frank, I believe this felt sense of reality occludes perception of absolute reality, an all but discarded idea, what with all of the compelling thinking produced by Heidegger and his progeny. I am somewhat with Husserl on this: thumbnail sketch is, language is not language merely at all. It is experience, rich, mesmerizing, fixating, and grounded in infantile training that makes for a felt sense of what is real in the everydayness of living. Suspend this, and meditation can be very effective in doing this, and, well, extraordinary things, our Buddha nature, if you will, rises to awareness. Yes, I actually think we are transcendental egos, though the proper defense of this is not easy. As you say, belief matrices are more powerful for some than others. Those in whom fixity of belief is strong I call dogmatic personalities. What can I say: I'm a romantic idealist who thinks Heidegger, Rorty, and others are very good at describing normal paradigms of thinking, to borrow a term form Kuhn. I read them to help me understand better what it is that holds normal consciousness together. And thereby overcome this.
This may have more to do with one’s temperament than anything else. Some desire to see the same in difference but others think it important to maintain differences. Here I will only point out that Paul's notion of Grace, the power of God to transform man, to rid him of sin, is present neither in Heidegger nor notions of nirvana.
I think everybody is talking about the same thing. Buddhists are talking about Wordsworth; Christian heaven should not be understood apart from Buddhist nirvana; Heideggerian dasein is what sin is about. This latter sounds puzzling, I know. But it is this interpretative fabric of the institutions in our language and culture (see David haugeland's interpretation, referred to in Hubert Dreyfus Being in the World) that a Buddhist has to get around; and it is this same body of beliefs and attachments that define our estrangement from God, if you want to go that way. I am certainly not trying to adhere to what Paul said, or any theologian at all. I am receding from these particulars, which I would argue belong to the very institutions in question, and am putting together a kind of partial and rough and ready existential generalization. All these insitutions reduce to Husserlian "things themselves" (though I am not holding to all Husserl said. I borrow and synthesize. If one is not eclectic, one is likely simply dogmatic).
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Freudian Monkey wrote: January 14th, 2018, 4:43 pm Thank you for your thorough explanation. I'm not sure if I have anything else to add to this topic. Maxcady already expressed perfectly the way I view the desire for progression in life. I can understand the Buddhist approach to life, but I don't view it as a practical approach. I wholeheartedly agree that the pursuit of a more thorough control over one's thoughts and desires is something we should all strife towards, but only because it gives us control over our internal reality and therefore helps us grow and progress in life without any weaknesses of the mind getting in the way of this progression.
I believe Buddhism is very practical for life provided one view and apply it in the correct perspective in alignment [with room for deviation] with the purpose of life.

Note this thread;
Buddha's 4NT-8FP -A Life Problem Solving Technique

In the practice of Buddhism one cannot compare to some ideals or the ability of others. The only progress is to seek continuous improvement within one's current state.

The practice in Buddhism is just like practicing and developing any skills.
What is critical is for one to begin to understand the full range of the whole scheme of things within Buddhism the potential a person's can achieve.

It is just like say, the game of golf. In this case one need to understand all the necessary requirements necessary to attain the standards of the greatest professional players, like Tiger Wood, Johnson, Spielt, Thomas and other greats.
Besides natural talent, if one put in 10% of efforts of what the world champions put in, then one cannot expect to be like the champion but one should know what to expect out of that 10% effort, etc.

The problem is, Buddhism is not like golf where one's relation between achievements and effort can be reasonable estimated. In the light of such difficult, the problem with many Buddhist practitioners is they expect more than the knowledge and effort they have had and had done.

The point with Buddhism is there is a lot of cumulative [right] knowledge to acquire and right practices to be done before one attain reasonable results. So one must be aware of one's milestone in relation to the effort put and not to expect too much.

In the beginning, one will have to battle with the element of 'desire' as such the correct knowledge and practice are critical to deal with this dilemma of desiring no-desire.

To facilitate continuous improvements, one will have to go through the following 4 stages;
Wiki wrote:The four stages of competence
Unconscious incompetence
The individual does not understand or know how to do something and does not necessarily recognize the deficit. They may deny the usefulness of the skill. The individual must recognize their own incompetence, and the value of the new skill, before moving on to the next stage.[2] The length of time an individual spends in this stage depends on the strength of the stimulus to learn.[3]

Conscious incompetence
Though the individual does not understand or know how to do something, they recognize the deficit, as well as the value of a new skill in addressing the deficit. The making of mistakes can be integral to the learning process at this stage.[4]

Conscious competence
The individual understands or knows how to do something. However, demonstrating the skill or knowledge requires concentration. It may be broken down into steps, and there is heavy conscious involvement in executing the new skill.[3]

Unconscious competence
The individual has had so much practice with a skill that it has become "second nature" and can be performed easily. As a result, the skill can be performed while executing another task. The individual may be able to teach it to others, depending upon how and when it was learned.
I believe when a Buddhist practitioner has continually acquired the necessary full range of knowledge and practices, s/he will achieve the final result of mastery [btw, not elimination] of life problems.

I recently heard a personal stories of people who have spent decades on a spiritual journey, pursuing only meditation and other related activities. He told that he appreciates the inner peace his meditative practice has brought him, but at the same time he acknowledged the fact that he has pretty much wasted almost two decades of his life, without making any progress on any front. He was thoroughly disillusioned of the corrupt meditation institutes of Thailand, where he had spent years. You rarely hear this side of the story - the story of a failed ascetic. I'm not sure why I brought up this story, since I don't want in anyway try to disprove or diminish meditative practice. I guess it just popped into my mind and it made it's way to written form.

Thanks again for the insightful explanation!
I am sure that person must have gained something.

I believe his problem is the wrong estimation of the relation between efforts put in [knowledge and practice] and expected results.
Even then the rule is never be attached to the fruits of actions, else there will be disappointments.

Whilst monkhood is necessary at some point to establish a vehicle to carry the existing knowledge and practice, it should not be a standard for practicing Buddhism. The Buddha himself condemned asceticism after understanding it is not an effective way.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Freudian Monkey

Spectrum wrote: January 15th, 2018, 2:30 am Whilst monkhood is necessary at some point to establish a vehicle to carry the existing knowledge and practice, it should not be a standard for practicing Buddhism. The Buddha himself condemned asceticism after understanding it is not an effective way.
Interesting, I didn't know Buddha didn't encourage asceticism. Are you sure this is not a Westernized interpretation on the Buddhist teachings? I'm all for Mindfulness, but I've always understood that it's not comparable to Buddhism. Can you perhaps clarify to me what are the central differences between Eastern and Western Buddhism & Mindfulness? I know it's a very broad question, but any kind of clarification would be welcome.

Monkhood to me is one of the most pointless choices one can make. It's basically a voluntary prison sentence, with very little chance for personal growth or development. Perhaps you can become more appreciative towards the simple pleasures of life, but the damage done in terms of social isolation, missed career opportunities and family planning are absolutely devastating to anyone with a life. Perhaps spending a month in a monastery would be a worthwhile endeavor, but anything further than 6 months is simply a denial of life.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Hereandnow:
Suspend this, and meditation can be very effective in doing this, and, well, extraordinary things, our Buddha nature, if you will, rises to awareness.
What do you know of our Buddha nature? I am ignorant of it, and suspect that it may be nothing more than a conceptual construct which becomes an object of desire that ironically seeks to move beyond conceptual constructs.
Yes, I actually think we are transcendental egos, though the proper defense of this is not easy.
What do you mean by this? The Kantian condition for the possibility of experience that cannot itself be an object of experience? Husserl’s idealism?
As far as I can see, and I admit it may not be very far or accurate, the transcendental reduction brackets the world. Husserl’s “things themselves” are phenomenological, they are objects of consciousness, nothing apart from human consciousness. Buddhism is about the experience of the “suchness” of things as they are. It is, so to speak, polishing the mirror in order for things to be reflected as they are. The goal is unmediated experience, whereas, the claim of transcendental idealism is that there is only what is mediated via consciousness.
Christian heaven should not be understood apart from Buddhist nirvana
This is problematic for several reasons. Christian heaven has different meanings. If we look back to Paul we get the image of heaven on earth where the select have been transformed to spirit bodies and live eternally on an earth that has been transformed. They are not capable of self-transformation, but dependent on the grace of God. Nirvana is not dependent on the intervention of God, further,is not a singular occurrence the promise of which was not fulfilled in Paul’s life-time or in that of any subsequent generation, and does not involve a transformation of the earth. Nor is it something that occurs only with physical death in the literal sense.
Heideggerian dasein is what sin is about.
Well, Heidegger was influenced by Christian theology early on, but I think Aristotle’s phronesis is of much greater importance to the notion of dasein then is sin:
In light of his fundamental ontology, Martin Heidegger interprets Aristotle in such a way that phronesis (and practical philosophy as such) is the original form of knowledge and thus primary to sophia (and theoretical philosophy).[7] Heidegger interprets the Nicomachean Ethics as an ontology of Human Existence. The practical philosophy of Aristotle is a guiding thread in his Analysis of Existence according to which facticity names our unique mode of being in the world. Through his ‘existential analytic’, Heidegger recognises that ‘Aristotelian phenomenology’ suggests three fundamental movements of life including póiesis, práxis, theoría and that these have three corresponding dispositions: téchne, phrónesis and sophía. Heidegger considers these as modalities of Being inherent in the structure of ‘Dasein’ as being-in-the-world that is situated within the context of concern and care. According to Heidegger phronesis in Aristotle’s work discloses the right and proper way to be Dasein. Heidegger sees phronesis as a mode of comportment in and toward the world, a way of orienting oneself and thus of caring-seeing-knowing and enabling a particular way of being concerned. (Wiki, Phronesis)
Hereandnow:
I borrow and synthesize.
To appropriate has a double meaning and its usage is co-extensive with the history of philosophy. Philosophical appropriation is often misappropriation, and often, though not always, rhetorically deliberate misappropriation. Famous philosophers are sometimes accused of not understanding their predecessors, but, as in the case of Aristotle and Plato and perhaps more generally the moderns and ancients, they understood them quite well. Comparing what is borrowed from others with the original can be illuminating for all.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Fooloso4:
What do you know of our Buddha nature? I am ignorant of it, and suspect that it may be nothing more than a conceptual construct which becomes an object of desire that ironically seeks to move beyond conceptual constructs.
What did Rudolf Otto know about the holy? Or Emerson about a transcendental experience? Or Husserl about epoche? Or Wordsworth about intimations of immortality? If these things are, in your experiences, nothing more than conceptual constructs, then I suspect you take these to be grist for your theoretical mill merely. But if you take something like a phenomenological reduction seriously, and withdraw from the chamber as well as society, as Emerson did, such things become something else altogether. To say what would require such a thing to be a common feature in our experiences and language. That is not the case.
What do you mean by this? The Kantian condition for the possibility of experience that cannot itself be an object of experience? Husserl’s idealism?
As far as I can see, and I admit it may not be very far or accurate, the transcendental reduction brackets the world. Husserl’s “things themselves” are phenomenological, they are objects of consciousness, nothing apart from human consciousness. Buddhism is about the experience of the “suchness” of things as they are. It is, so to speak, polishing the mirror in order for things to be reflected as they are. The goal is unmediated experience, whereas, the claim of transcendental idealism is that there is only what is mediated via consciousness.
Read, if you like, Andrew Steinboch's Mysticism and Phenomenology. Objects apart from consciousness, fused in consciousness, such things are worthy of discussion. But the transcendence that sits before you on the "other side" of a given nexus of intentionality possesses several aspects that defy objectification given our language limitations, that is, given that our culture is not one that encourages such personal engagement. Again, nothing can be done here. I think Kant put describes the rational side of what holds us back. The Heidegger, pragmatists, postmodernists et al, tell the rest of the story.
What does it mean to sit quietly and behold the world before you and have presuppositions and implicit knowledge claims altogether suspended? What does the "suchness" of things really mean? If it means anything it must have it grounding in the material experience before you. And what is this removed from interpretation? Heidegger does not believe, in all I've read, that such a thing is possible: one cannot take up the world as a human dasein as if presence at hand is magically in the understanding. See how he rebukes Kant on space and time and Descartes mind and body. Recall how Kant's noumena has a murky status of being at once exclusively pof the understanding yet not dialectically simply an error of taking reason beyond content. He had no idea what to do with our apprehension of Being as such. Neither did Heidegger. Only Husserl, along these lines that is, understood that there was something extraordinary there. This "as such" can be expanded and yes, intimations or intuitions of something entirely "Other" rise to awareness.
This is problematic for several reasons. Christian heaven has different meanings. If we look back to Paul we get the image of heaven on earth where the select have been transformed to spirit bodies and live eternally on an earth that has been transformed. They are not capable of self-transformation, but dependent on the grace of God. Nirvana is not dependent on the intervention of God, further,is not a singular occurrence the promise of which was not fulfilled in Paul’s life-time or in that of any subsequent generation, and does not involve a transformation of the earth. Nor is it something that occurs only with physical death in the literal sense.
But then, to quote Douglas Adams, I don't give a fetid dingo's kidney what Paul said. Sorry, I always wanted to use that. At any rate, my thoughts given in these lines above are based on the premise that if one could understand what one thing is then all the susperstitions and mystery would fall away on matter of philosophy and religion. And that word has many forms, but let's call it happiness. Anything Paul ever said has value only in that it is about the oddest thing in Being, which is value. Heidegger and caring. Well done. But ontology needs to underscore what it is, the presence-at-hand of value-in -the-world. In short, what is this thing called bliss? Not this or that bliss, but bliss as such? I have experienced it, as we all have, most poignantly in childhood, in love. Love is just another word for happiness, not distinguishable from childhood happiness. It is not unusual to find a Zen master acting erratically, even insanely.

T
o appropriate has a double meaning and its usage is co-extensive with the history of philosophy. Philosophical appropriation is often misappropriation, and often, though not always, rhetorically deliberate misappropriation. Famous philosophers are sometimes accused of not understanding their predecessors, but, as in the case of Aristotle and Plato and perhaps more generally the moderns and ancients, they understood them quite well. Comparing what is borrowed from others with the original can be illuminating for all.
I will say this flatly: To understand Heidegger has nothing to do with Heidegger's intention. Roland Barthes was right about scuttling the author's intent, but it is most important here. I want to understand what it means to be in the world and my first text is the material conditions before me. Heidegger and the rest are heuristics only.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Hereandnow:
What did Rudolf Otto know about the holy? Or Emerson about a transcendental experience? Or Husserl about epoche? Or Wordsworth about intimations of immortality? If these things are, in your experiences, nothing more than conceptual constructs, then I suspect you take these to be grist for your theoretical mill merely.
My theoretical mill is idle (pun on the original meaning or theoria not intended but apt). A pile of names does not obviate differences. You believe in a form of universalism, but I have no knowledge or experience of a universal reality that underlies our thoughts and beliefs. I think it may be that the universal is not a transcendence of thought and belief but rather is itself a matter of thought and belief. Rather than being what is revealed in epoche, it is, rather, something that fails to be bracketed and is thus, so to speak, ushered in the back door, introduced and discovered as if it were there all along.
But the transcendence that sits before you on the "other side" of a given nexus of intentionality possesses several aspects that defy objectification given our language limitations, that is, given that our culture is not one that encourages such personal engagement.

I do not know what you mean by the transcendence that sits before you on the other side. There is a great deal of disagreement as to the status of objects independent of consciousness for Husserl. If an object “sits on the other side” it is out of bounds. We can bracket the question of its existence, but once it is taken up or considered, it becomes an object of consciousness.
I don't give a fetid dingo's kidney what Paul said.
I am glad to have provided you with the opportunity to use that quote, but if you introduce “Christian sin” how are you going to ignore Paul?
Anything Paul ever said has value only in that it is about the oddest thing in Being, which is value.
It is about what is most valued by his followers, but that is not what is most valued by others.
But ontology needs to underscore what it is, the presence-at-hand of value-in -the-world.
And this illustrates exactly what I have been getting at. Whatever it is that is of value in the world is rejected by Paul's Christianity in favor of an otherworldly or after worldly value. It is something that cannot be found present-at-hand.
Love is just another word for happiness …
I would say that anyone who has been in a loving relationship that endures knows that this is not true. We are not always happy with the relationship, with the other person, or even with ourselves. Perhaps those who think of love as happiness are more prone to ending relationships when things get bad. To love is to commit and this does not always bring happiness. Traditional marriage vows are a recognition of this. There are, of course, different objects and modes of love and happiness. The happiness of a child can turn in an instant to despair.
To understand Heidegger has nothing to do with Heidegger's intention

I think you overstate the case. While there is no way in which we can definitively determine an author’s intent and whatever is intended may be opaque even to the author, the question of what an author means by X stands side by side with the question of what X means. An author may be a useful guide for helping us determine what it means to be in the world. Heidegger’s text is not merely a “material condition before you”; whatever it is you think he is saying influences both what you understand the question to be and how you answer it. If one holds, as I do, that the philosophers are our teachers, then we have something to learn from their questions and answers, and so, if we are to learn from them we must attend to what it is we think they mean.
Heidegger and the rest are heuristics only.
Of course, but if we ignore the question of what they are saying, of what they mean, of what they are pointing to, there can be little or no heuristic value.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

fooloso4:
My theoretical mill is idle (pun on the original meaning or theoria not intended but apt). A pile of names does not obviate differences. You believe in a form of universalism, but I have no knowledge or experience of a universal reality that underlies our thoughts and beliefs. I think it may be that the universal is not a transcendence of thought and belief but rather is itself a matter of thought and belief. Rather than being what is revealed in epoche, it is, rather, something that fails to be bracketed and is thus, so to speak, ushered in the back door, introduced and discovered as if it were there all along.
That is what I have found to be a position held by most who take up these matters. Failed to be bracketed is what I believe to be the pragmatic underpinning that settles in childhood and regularly encouraged in society. I am a conceptual being, but my concepts are dynamic residua of a lived life of assimilating language and culture, and these comprise material episodes of problem solving. This is the unbracketed of the real: pragmatic dynamics reified by familiarity and habit, what Dewey calls consummatory experiences aggregated as, as what...as doxastic foundations implicit in conscious events (how does belief get fixed? Peirce wrote well on this in his Fixity of Belief).
But given this admission, the question of being as such endures as one inspired by something Other entirely. This is not going to set well with you or others, I know: It is through value that this Other is intimated. The affirmation that there is a transcendental ego is not confirmed in an analysis of consciousness and its structures. It is affirmed in value; in the, e.g., tortured occasion of a single person is taken up in a single agency of experiencing the world (and of what is the world "made" if not the collective material experiences like this? Dewey is right on this. See his Experience and Nature and Art as Experience). This is another argument that takes time to bring forth. Suffice it here to say, the presence of experience in value is strongly supportive in affirming the transcendence of the ego, and it is of a nature that is prohibitive of a morally stand alone world. If you like I can produce this argument.
I do not know what you mean by the transcendence that sits before you on the other side. There is a great deal of disagreement as to the status of objects independent of consciousness for Husserl. If an object “sits on the other side” it is out of bounds. We can bracket the question of its existence, but once it is taken up or considered, it becomes an object of consciousness.

And whatever manner theory makes of the object, it remains there, something that, while cannot be conceived apart from the language and logic that that behold it, and are part and parcel of it, remains ineffably as presence. This is the same argument as your first I believe, that says that epoche cannot bracket what is ushered int eh back door, which is the bedrock of concepts that one cannot escape and remain a perceiving agent. I simply say, notwithstanding; for even if it is conceded that the object before me is constructed of my own perceptual presence, the question then goes to the presence of perception. My take on this is that all that sits before the my perceiving eyes, is, neti neti, rendered transcendental. One can explain this away with the points you make above, but as points, they are ready to hand. Heidegger knew not what to do with presence at hand. It is, as Rorty once put it, purely ineffable. And I, with emphasis, add: value is presence at hand. That spear in my kidney is not ready to hand; it is a given.
I am glad to have provided you with the opportunity to use that quote, but if you introduce “Christian sin” how are you going to ignore Paul?
By not asking about Christian sin in the context of what Paul says. I am asking a question about what Paul really is talking about, and assuming the analysis does not stop with Paul, but goes deeper. Paul begs the question, in other words: Paul says sin is estrangement from God (I think that 's what Augustine says. Oh well), I ask, what do you mean by estrangement? And God? and please, unpack 'sin' for me in material terms. What are good examples? Tell me how a sin is committed vis a vis a free soul; can you defend freedom in non contradictory way? And so on.
It is about what is most valued by his followers, but that is not what is most valued by others.
But the "what" of it of which I speak is value as such, as it reveals itself as a given in experience. Not how others, through their interpretative orientation take it as.
I would say that anyone who has been in a loving relationship that endures knows that this is not true. We are not always happy with the relationship, with the other person, or even with ourselves. Perhaps those who think of love as happiness are more prone to ending relationships when things get bad. To love is to commit and this does not always bring happiness. Traditional marriage vows are a recognition of this. There are, of course, different objects and modes of love and happiness. The happiness of a child can turn in an instant to despair.
Of course, I agree. But i don't take love or happiness as they are presented in complex interpretative environments. Environments where commitment, fidelity, selflessness and so on are mixed together. I take them in their non contingent presence: this elation, this valuative good, this quality there, like the saltiness of a cracker or air hunger while drowning; these can all be contextualized, considered in a body of contingent extensions. But AS a powerful feature of the Being there of a situation, indeed, a feature that does not allow for, if you will, paradigmatic containment and is unambiguosly the most salient part of any experience, love, happiness, pain, misery, and so on, these are,like consciousness, like Being, to be examined for what they are among the things themselves. They are not part of the interpretative context; they are a givens.
think you overstate the case. While there is no way in which we can definitively determine an author’s intent and whatever is intended may be opaque even to the author, the question of what an author means by X stands side by side with the question of what X means. An author may be a useful guide for helping us determine what it means to be in the world. Heidegger’s text is not merely a “material condition before you”; whatever it is you think he is saying influences both what you understand the question to be and how you answer it. If one holds, as I do, that the philosophers are our teachers, then we have something to learn from their questions and answers, and so, if we are to learn from them we must attend to what it is we think they mean.
I also agree here, and the extent that the author can clarify and explain in ways that are useful, s/he is relevant. But Foucault, thinking in Heidegger's shadow, said we are ventriloquized by history, he meant that the streams of words and meanings run through us and there is no genuine "author" apart from this. So where is Heidegger beyond this? (Of course, I think there is something oin the agency behind Heidegger, but this is not Heidegger, I imagine.)
Of course, but if we ignore the question of what they are saying, of what they mean, of what they are pointing to, there can be little or no heuristic value.
I would never ignore what what said. I just ignore--when I am studying this issue, that problem, interpreting some thorny mess---who said it.
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

Hereandnow, I am going to leave here for now. I think we have articulated our differences. Perhaps it comes down to a matter of desire that there is a deeper more fundamental significance, meaning, or value that can be experienced. I have not had such an experience, and while I cannot rule out such a possibility, I see a further difficulty that arises based on what one ascribes to the experience. But of course, the expectation is that the immediacy of the experience precludes any kind of interpretation or ascription, and that any description is inadequate and ultimately misleading.
It is always a pleasure to discuss matters with someone who makes an honest effort to understand such matters and does not allow disagreement lead to personal attacks.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Same. Pleasure's all mine, as always.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Freudian Monkey wrote: January 15th, 2018, 6:47 am
Spectrum wrote: January 15th, 2018, 2:30 am Whilst monkhood is necessary at some point to establish a vehicle to carry the existing knowledge and practice, it should not be a standard for practicing Buddhism. The Buddha himself condemned asceticism after understanding it is not an effective way.
Interesting, I didn't know Buddha didn't encourage asceticism. Are you sure this is not a Westernized interpretation on the Buddhist teachings? I'm all for Mindfulness, but I've always understood that it's not comparable to Buddhism. Can you perhaps clarify to me what are the central differences between Eastern and Western Buddhism & Mindfulness? I know it's a very broad question, but any kind of clarification would be welcome.
If you read widely on Buddhism you will come across this point, i.e. Gautama gave up asceticism after doing that for a number of years.

After he had taken a seat the Buddha spoke to them and said, "Listen, ascetics, I have the way to deathlessness. Let me tell you, let me teach you. And if you listen and learn and practise as I tell you, very soon you will know for yourselves, not in some future life but here and now in this present lifetime, that what I say is true. You will realise for yourself the state that is beyond all life and death."

Naturally the five ascetics were very astonished to hear their old companion talking like this. They had seen him give up the hard life of fasting and consequently believed that he had given up all efforts to find the truth. So initially they simply did not believe him, and they told him so.

But the Buddha replied, "You are mistaken, Ascetics. I have not given up all effort. I am not living a life of self-indulgence, idle comfort and ease. Listen to me. I really have attained supreme knowledge and insight. And I can teach it to you so you may attain it for yourselves."

Finally the five were willing to listen to him and he delivered his first teachings.
He advised his followers to follow the Middle Way, avoiding the two extremes of self-indulgence and self-torture.
For the first time he taught the Four Noble Truths and how to practise the Eightfold Path, the Noble Way that would lead to freedom from suffering and to the way of enlightenment. With the conversion of the five ascetics at the Deer Park at Sarnath, the order of monks was established.

https://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/bu ... 18lbud.htm

Essentially, in terms of the core teachings, there should not be any differences between Eastern and Western Buddhism.
What is happening at present is the people in the East and West has been preconditioned with different social, academic, cultural, etc. elements.

I don't sense any critical differences but there are certain cultural and social differences. For example, in the 60s to 80s most of the Buddhist teachers in the East were brought up and taught in a village-sort of setting, e.g. Ajahn Chah and others and I believe this aspect should be modernize.
Some Tibetan teachers were beating and pulling the ears of their students [some are Cambridge/Oxford graduates] who willing accept such punishments and justify them with all sorts of reasons. Such attitudes are slowly changing as most are evolving with more humane attitudes.

The blame on the West is the Buddhist students are too intellectual, academic, stiff-upper- lips types and rigid is some ways.

But the above difference at present are not significant as both sides are adapting to the Middle-Way.
Monkhood to me is one of the most pointless choices one can make. It's basically a voluntary prison sentence, with very little chance for personal growth or development. Perhaps you can become more appreciative towards the simple pleasures of life, but the damage done in terms of social isolation, missed career opportunities and family planning are absolutely devastating to anyone with a life. Perhaps spending a month in a monastery would be a worthwhile endeavor, but anything further than 6 months is simply a denial of life.
As I had stated there is a need [especially in the olden days] for an institution of maintain and transmit the messages of the Buddha. In this sense there is a need for monks to do this task.
But monkhood should not be taken as a standard to achieve 'nirvana' as many monks would claim.
Monkhood is not for everyone but naturally there is a small percentile of humans who born naturally as loners. As such these people would be suitable to do the necessary job of a monk.

In the current and future and given the progress we have on information technology I don't
monkhood per se is necessary.

Not sure what you mean,
"Mindfulness, -- it's not comparable to Buddhism."
Mindfulness [Vispassana] is an essential part of the Noble-Eightfold Paths. All the 8 paths are critical to Buddhism.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Freudian Monkey

Spectrum wrote: January 17th, 2018, 1:15 am Not sure what you mean,
"Mindfulness, -- it's not comparable to Buddhism."
Mindfulness [Vispassana] is an essential part of the Noble-Eightfold Paths. All the 8 paths are critical to Buddhism.
I meant the Western spiritual movement and practice commonly known as Mindfulness.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream