Artificial intelligence: doom or survival?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Littlemoon

Artificial intelligence: doom or survival?

Post by Littlemoon »

There is no doubt we are near the artificial intelligence Era. I do think that will be a major breakthrough when it does reach its full potential. However there are some very pressing matters, ethical and non ethical that need an answer.
My opinion is that artificial intelligence will significantly improve our life quality. We are speaking in matters of Healthcare, patient care, even daily care!
But when all of this will be too much? Will it be our ultimate downfall or will it be our survival?

Up for a discussion gents?
LuckyR

Re: Artificial intelligence: doom or survival?

Post by LuckyR »

The problem (as demonstrated in The Terminator) isn't AI itself, it is the abdicatoon of control to AI. I don't really see that as something humans will seek to do
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

In less than a billion years the Earth's surface will be too hot for biology. Further, space is proving to be highly unsuitable for biology. We humans, certainly with our current biology, are doomed. Like Lucky, I doubt that AI will take over, rather it will outlast us. Most likely, it will greatly extend our capacity to survive. Given the limitations of biology in the face of the very long term challenges ahead with our ageing sun, we (or at least some of us) will surely meld with AI.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

This reminds me of brave new world. I think people imagine an AI future where there is nothing left for humans to do. Leaving humans in a happy pig state.
It also reminds me of I Robot. Would we all be better off if the robots had won? Were they considering the happy pig dilemma?
Giving control to AI would be interesting. I think the purpose of the AI is something I'd rather not leave to a choice by humans for fear they make the wrong choice.
Actually I kind of see the process of evolution itself as a 'tool' for creating 'good' choices.
Unknown means unknown.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

I think the problem is to give AI the power of planning the future. For the moment, we need to ask, what's our current level when it comes to AI? The most advanced robot we currently have is asimo which isn't that smart. Then we have watson computer that is incredibly magnificent, but both are at a very rudimentary level. So for now, we wouldn't need to bother about issues of AI becoming the downfall of Human Kind.

I think the problem is when we give the robot the power of conscience. What is conscience and how can you give something we can't understand yet to a robot? Will their plans after we give them conscience include us?
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Chaos creates opportunity, perhaps in a dystopian future where the west/UN is no longer a major peacekeeping force and many dangerous countries and megacorporations exist that wish to militarise AI irresponsibly then we may see a future where AI can take over. Though I think that nukes are still a far more potent threat to human civilisation than AI will ever be.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

I suppose a lot of Roman citizens in 280AD or so wondered about and quite seriously discussed the future of the empire in case slavery were ever abolished, or in case the new christian craze should ever catch on or somebody invents a projectile weapon that explodes on impact....
But history doesn't move on well-oiled tracks, in the same straight line, indefinitely.
Unexpected things happen.
Also, of course, expected things.
How will AI improve health care, if all the funding is pulled and redirected to the military?
Whose quality of life will improve with advanced robotics?
It all depends, not on how intelligent the machines are, but on who owns them.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Alias wrote: January 7th, 2018, 5:19 pmIt all depends, not on how intelligent the machines are, but on who owns them.
Corporations will own them. Corporations in themselves are a form of collective intelligence, just as an ant colony has a collective intelligence and capability far beyond that of its individuals.

So all of this corporate information will be poured into an information processing unit whose physical expression will be every device connected to it. These highly concentrated information processing centres look somewhat like brains, which of course are also concentrated info processors.

It appears to me that AI is being built in a modular fashion, with the experiential and learning aspects being built separately to the memory and "nervous system". I suspect that once corporate IT systems are mostly controlled by AI - integrating a flexible, learning AI "cortex" with an established network, that's when we really see what it can do.

This too is happening gradually; obviously no corporation is going to throw its entire operation over to an untested AI CEO, not all at once anyway.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Same problem with linear projection:
Who says corporations will continue in their accustomed form, in their present mode of operation?
I'm not even sure that in the present form they are like the hive mind of an ant colony or any kind of self-aware society. I suspect that corporations, as they have come to operate in the late 20th and century, are more like machines than human collectives; that the boards of directors who supposedly control them don't actually make the minute-to-minute decisions. If that is so, more of the corporate functions will be taken over, sooner, than any human anticipates or realizes. Certainly, far more is going on (and has been for a decade or more) in their computers than any programmer or designer understands, and CEO's have no clue at all.

And, of course, there is the question of corporations breaking up, changing financial management, switching to new enterprises, merging, going bankrupt, being bought out. Whole economies toppling over; currencies and markets crashing...
Too many variables to predict.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Alias wrote: January 9th, 2018, 1:30 pm Same problem with linear projection:
Who says corporations will continue in their accustomed form, in their present mode of operation?
Agreed. They won't, which was part of my point.
Alias wrote:I'm not even sure that in the present form they are like the hive mind of an ant colony or any kind of self-aware society. I suspect that corporations, as they have come to operate in the late 20th and century, are more like machines than human collectives; that the boards of directors who supposedly control them don't actually make the minute-to-minute decisions.
They are more machine-like than individuals yes, "programmed" by policy as they are, but they operate more like simple organisms with most focus on growth and reproduction. A corporate "brain" is primitive by biological standards, the senses are more diffuse, often acting independently of the CPU/brain. However, automated workers controlled by ever more sophisticated controlling technology will result in much more direct control from on high.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Greta wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:04 pm They are more machine-like than individuals yes, "programmed" by policy as they are, but they operate more like simple organisms with most focus on growth and reproduction. A corporate "brain" is primitive by biological standards, the senses are more diffuse, often acting independently of the CPU/brain. However, automated workers controlled by ever more sophisticated controlling technology will result in much more direct control from on high.
What if the 'on high" dies or is deposed? What if the "on high" has no frickin idea how the mechanism operates?
Who the hell is up there, anyway?
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Alias wrote: January 10th, 2018, 1:17 am
Greta wrote: January 9th, 2018, 9:04 pm They are more machine-like than individuals yes, "programmed" by policy as they are, but they operate more like simple organisms with most focus on growth and reproduction. A corporate "brain" is primitive by biological standards, the senses are more diffuse, often acting independently of the CPU/brain. However, automated workers controlled by ever more sophisticated controlling technology will result in much more direct control from on high.
What if the 'on high" dies or is deposed? What if the "on high" has no frickin idea how the mechanism operates?
Who the hell is up there, anyway?
Corporations die too. When they die, as with any death, the components distribute into their environment.

Those on high are famously out of touch with operations. By the same token, we don't have much clue about the doings of most of our body systems; we take for granted that they work. Who comprises the brain of an organisation? The board, the CEO, the executive, and middle management and supervisors (like the lower brain). Clerical and knowledge workers are now increasingly being displaced by automation, AI decisions may yet become consistently better than those by executives, making them redundant too.
Jklint

Post by Jklint »

Rather AI than a walking function programmed only by his education. There's already too many of those around.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

Alias wrote: January 7th, 2018, 5:19 pm I suppose a lot of Roman citizens in 280AD or so wondered about and quite seriously discussed the future of the empire in case slavery were ever abolished, or in case the new christian craze should ever catch on or somebody invents a projectile weapon that explodes on impact....
But history doesn't move on well-oiled tracks, in the same straight line, indefinitely.
Unexpected things happen.
Also, of course, expected things.
How will AI improve health care, if all the funding is pulled and redirected to the military?
Whose quality of life will improve with advanced robotics?
It all depends, not on how intelligent the machines are, but on who owns them.
Well in matters of patient care, this could potentially help old people in their house. Heavy lifting for example, or in a more evolved way, fight back loneliness. This is one of the biggest problem old people face when they come of age. Loneliness becomes their worst fear. No one to talk with. That's one way I think AI could potentially work.
In healthcare, AI can simply out best humans when it comes to, for example, analysis of diagnosis. There was a trial not too long ago about a machine being able to identify quicker and flawlessly tumors where the most intelligent (and best) radiologists couldn't. If I'm not mistaken, they failed 30% of the times (we are speaking about very difficult X-rays MRIs etc)

As for military operations, I think that simply depends of what people deem as a priority. It's up for "the people" (not corporations and the likes) to control this. But I only see this working in democratized countries with open minds.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Littlemoon wrote: January 10th, 2018, 6:50 pm [ A- it all depends, not on how intelligent the machines are, but on who owns them.]

Well in matters of patient care, this could potentially help old people in their house. Heavy lifting for example, or in a more evolved way, fight back loneliness. [/auote]
Oh, there is plenty of potential - for those who can afford it. But with public health losing funds and insurance premiums rising, fewer and fewer people can afford even the essential services, never mind luxuries like fighting loneliness. Lots of old people can't even afford to keep a dog.
As for military operations, I think that simply depends of what people deem as a priority.
Isn't that what we've been asying? Which of "the "people" have the power to make these decisions? There is nothing democratic about it!

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream