Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished!

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
ProgrammingGodJordan
New Trial Member

Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished!

Post by ProgrammingGodJordan »

1. As Neil deGrasse Tyson says, science is true whether or not one believes in it!
  2. Pertinently, that one may believe in science, does not suddenly remove that belief is a concept that permits that one may typically ignore evidence, as observed in the analysis below:
    • Belief (by definition and research) is a model, that permits both science, and non-science.
    • However, crucially, belief typically facilitates that people especially ignore evidence.
    • A model that generally permits the large ignorance of evidence contrasts science.
    • Instead, we may employ scientific thinking, that largely prioritizes evidence, rather than a model (i.e. belief) that facilitates largely, the ignorance of evidence.
  3. Unfortunately, I had been a theist up until my 21'st birthday. Fortunately, at age 22 (I am now 27), I finally identified as an atheist. After 4 years of being an atheist, one day I thought about belief, and I recognized that not only was theistic faith invalid, but also, the very concept of belief!
    • As a precaution for preventing myself from absorbing nonsense, I had come to invent something called "non beliefism".
    • Beyond atheism, "non beliefism" enables a state of mind that rejects not merely religious belief, but the very concept of belief.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Belief (not just religious belief) ought to be abolished!

Post by Sy Borg »

Actually, atheism is a belief. Agnosticism is the absence of belief. NdGT himself is agnostic for that reason.
ProgrammingGodJordan
New Trial Member

1. As far as facts go, atheism is generally the absence of the belief in God.

2. Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

I always thought atheism was the lack of belief. I thought it was "I do not believe in God," not "I believe there is no God."
On wiki
Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.
If you say atheism is the absence of belief, your argument against theists is just so much stronger.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Belief is part of knowledge, thus one cannot abolished 'belief' if one need 'knowledge.'
Note the following definition of 'belief' which is more appropriate to Philosophy.
Wiki wrote:Belief is the state of mind in which a person thinks something to be the case with or without there being empirical evidence to prove that something is the case with factual certainty.
Another way of defining belief sees it as a mental representation of an attitude positively oriented towards the likelihood of something being true.[1]
When Einstein constructed E=MC2 in his mind, that is a personal belief and because he has proven it on paper he has a very high personal conviction his theory is true. This is a personal belief and not knowledge [scientific knowledge].

Einstein's E=MC2 was only a speculated scientific theory when his peers agree with his personal belief.
Then Einstein's E=MC2 is confirmed scientific knowledge when his theory was tested and proven with empirical evidences.

The above applies to all knowledge, i.e. scientific or otherwise.

From the above, belief is a necessary transit from personal beliefs and conviction to knowledge.
All knowledge start with a personal belief.
Such personal belief becomes knowledge when proven to be true with relevant evidences.

Belief as defined above cannot be abolished.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Spectrum
Favorite Philosopher: Eclectic -Various

Post by Spectrum »

Maxcady10001 wrote: January 6th, 2018, 2:50 am I always thought atheism was the lack of belief. I thought it was "I do not believe in God," not "I believe there is no God."
On wiki
Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.
I agree [a]theism is a lack of belief in theism.

There is no common belief related to [a]theism.
Some non-theists could be totally indifferent on the topic of theism.
However individual non-theists may have their own beliefs which could be different from other non-theists.
For example, in my case I believe 'God is an Impossibility' on a rational basis and I have provided the arguments here;
http://onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/ ... =4&t=15155

Other non-theists have their own beliefs in relation to theism.

I believe Greta's "Actually, atheism is a belief" is insufficient.
There is a need for more details as I had stated above.
Not-a-theist. Religion is a critical necessity for humanity now, but not the FUTURE.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Atheism is not just absence of belief, as is often claimed. Actually, that is agnosticism. Atheism supposes that reality is configured in a certain way, even thought atheists cannot be 100% certain. Dawkins spoke of hard and soft atheism, depending on how one assesses the probability that there is or isn't some kind of god or godlike entity or underpinning awareness.

This ultimately comes down to the question as to whether energy or consciousness is fundamental to reality, or if they were always intrinsically connected. Atheists will say the first, theists will say the second, pantheists and panentheists opt for the latter, and agnostics don't claim to know.
ProgrammingGodJordan
New Trial Member

Greta wrote: January 6th, 2018, 7:24 am Atheism is not just absence of belief, as is often claimed. Actually, that is agnosticism. Atheism supposes that reality is configured in a certain way, even thought atheists cannot be 100% certain. Dawkins spoke of hard and soft atheism, depending on how one assesses the probability that there is or isn't some kind of god or godlike entity or underpinning awareness.

This ultimately comes down to the question as to whether energy or consciousness is fundamental to reality, or if they were always intrinsically connected. Atheists will say the first, theists will say the second, pantheists and panentheists opt for the latter, and agnostics don't claim to know.
On the contrary, atheism is generally, the absence of belief:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

A blank statement without reasoning doesn't mean anything. I have questioned the official line, as per Wiki, using reasoning. That reasoning may be either challenged, or not.
Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 »

Saying atheism is supposing reality is a certain way is a knowledge claim. Atheism is not a claim to knowledge but the absence of it. While believing in God is a knowledge claim. The way believe is defined makes any kind of belief a claim to knowledge, so the absence of belief has to be one of ignorance, and atheism is just that. As an atheist I am ignorant of the existence of a God.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Re: OP.

I broadly agree with Spectrum's assessment of the definition of "belief" in his first post here. Belief, in itself, is simply the conviction that something is true. The concept of belief, in itself, says nothing of the reasons why the person holds that conviction. It could be related to some sensory perceptions that they've experienced directly. It could be related to someone else's sensory perceptions about which they've heard or read. It could be related to a series of logical/mathematical arguments that themselves model patterns in a whole load of previous sensory perceptions (as in Spectrum's Einstein example). Or it could be various other things.

So the idea of abolishing belief is as absurd as proposing to abolish all mental activity.

I presume what ProgrammingGodJordan is really talking about is a very specific kind of belief: a belief which cannot in any way, directly or indirectly, be traced back to sensory perceptions. There would then be a big argument as to precisely which specific beliefs fall into this category.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Incidentally, ProgrammingGodJordan:

Does your name indicate that you are called Jordan and are very good at programming? Or does it indicate that you are called Jordan and have written a computer simulation of God? Grammatically, as far as I can tell, it could be either.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Belief is one of the mental states called propositional attitudes. Not everybody likes this technical term, because it presupposes a contentious ontology of propositions; and it has been argued that the objects of propositional attitudes aren't really propositions (as abstract sentence-meanings) but states of affairs. Nonetheless, it's a widely used standard term, so I'll use it here too. When the propositional attitude in question is belief, what kind of attitude do we have here? It's affirmation or assent. To believe a proposition is to think (with a "yes-feeling", as Bertrand Russell said) that it is true, to take it as true. (Alternatively, one can say that to believe in a state of affairs is to think that it obtains, that it is the case, that it is a fact.) In the general sense in which "belief" is used in the philosophy of mind and psychology, there is no connotation regarding whether or not a belief is epistemically justified, whether or not the believer has evidence or good reasons for his belief. So belief doesn't exclude knowledge! Actually, given its traditional definition, knowledge is a kind of belief: justified true belief. And knowledge doesn't exclude belief either! "What I know, I believe." (L. Wittgenstein, On Certainty, §177) It follows that "belief" is not synonymous with "(blind) faith".
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Consul:
To believe a proposition is to think (with a "yes-feeling", as Bertrand Russell said) that it is true, to take it as true. (Alternatively, one can say that to believe in a state of affairs is to think that it obtains, that it is the case, that it is a fact.)
The latter does not sound like an alternative. Certainly both being the case and having a yes feeling happen usually in the same doxastic event. In fact, it is hard to imagine the one occurring without the other.

In the general sense in which "belief" is used in the philosophy of mind and psychology, there is no connotation regarding whether or not a belief is epistemically justified, whether or not the believer has evidence or good reasons for his belief. So belief doesn't exclude knowledge! Actually, given its traditional definition, knowledge is a kind of belief: justified true belief. And knowledge doesn't exclude belief either! "What I know, I believe." (L. Wittgenstein, On Certainty, §177) It follows that "belief" is not synonymous with "(blind) faith".

This seems muddled, but perhaps I'm missing it: no connotation between belief and justification? But the essential meaning, what about this? I mean, if belief does not connote justification, then it is the nuance of the word's value-in-usage that is in play. But clearly, all beliefs are taken as justified unless there is a matter of delusion or "willful" belief, both of which are extraordinary cases. Belief is coercive, and even the most insane belief possesses an argument that is convincing in the world within of a madman. It is not the justification that is missing, but the facts that are brought to bare upon the understanding.

Belief does not exclude knowledge? But why would it ever be taken otherwise? Unless, as some hold, there is no knowledge exclusive of justification, and arguments hold together coherently, not foundationally (whatever that foundation may be grounded in); hence, one could conceive of belief without knowledge given there is no such thing as knowledge in the foundational sense. But then you bring in the tradiational definition of knowledge. I guess you are simply covering two perspectives?
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Belief should not be abolished. How could you ever get by without generalizations like 'believe'? They are conveniences, handy ways to express what is upon analysis, complexities. I believe it will rain today and I leave it at that. But if you take the matter to task and ask do you really believe that? Meteorology is not an exact science; the forecaster cold have had a bad day; you could be hallucinating the whole affair; Maybe you're a brain in a vat!; and: what do you mean by these term, like 'rain' and 'today'. You had prima facie reason to believe only. And this is based on justification, but defeatable (defeasible) justification.
But here is the rub: beneath your prima facie belief there is abiding assumption that this belief could be wrong, and this holds for most believing. You know there is some chance, some even Cartesian doubt, that it could be wrong. And this makes belief, this manichean tool of cognition, always suspect.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream