I am only here to talk about deep philosophy

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: I am only here to talk about deep philosophy

Post by Eduk »

If a universe exists but no one is around to value it does it have worth?
Unknown means unknown.
YoungZeno
New Trial Member

Post by YoungZeno »

Eduk wrote: January 10th, 2018, 4:21 pm Tortoise and hair doesn't need two subjects. Same theory works with one person walking up a path. He must pass half way and half of half way and so on infinitely.
As youngzeno says you have to question infinity. And you have to question if space can be divided. And you have to question if time is an instant ( in the case of the arrow paradox).
Either way I like the paradoxes, they are fun to think about.
Indeed they are, the arrow one is cool because it makes you think about what movement is aswell and the continues now which never changes tbh
YoungZeno
New Trial Member

Post by YoungZeno »

Hereandnow wrote: January 10th, 2018, 7:24 pm Ahem: HAIR?
Yes.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

lol only just noticed I've been writing hair :)
Unknown means unknown.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

I see Herr Eduk.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Burning Ghost:
"I have no idea what you're talking about? I am guessing you've put the historical roles of Kant and Plato in reverse by accident? "

I only just noticed the question here. Plato and Kant reversed? What do you have in mind?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Hereandnow wrote: January 18th, 2018, 11:32 pm Burning Ghost:
"I have no idea what you're talking about? I am guessing you've put the historical roles of Kant and Plato in reverse by accident? "

I only just noticed the question here. Plato and Kant reversed? What do you have in mind?
I was asking if you wrote "Kant" where you meant to write "Plato" and "Plato" where you wrote "Kant"? Go back and look at what you wrote, if there is no mistake then we likely have some rather interesting disagreements about what it is Plato and Kant were doing/saying.
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

No. It's all that it should be. what do you see?
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

It's just that Plato was pretty much the ultimate idealist. I don't quite see how you describe Kant like this ...
Stepping into Kant's world, one realizes that becoming-in-the-world is the world-as-idea, that is, idealism.
I never new how interesting until Kant, because he showed me the exit door from mundane thinking about the world.
Kant made strides to reconcile empiricism and rationalism, so he was very much involved with the mundane. Plato is renowned for being "other worldly" and often framed as a "mystic."

Husserl also points out that Kant never questioned the world as the world.

OF course to this day there is still much conflict and argumentation in this area both in terms of what Kant said, what Plato said, and irrespective of either of those people (although certainly they played a big part in the whole story to get to where we are today - wherever that is!?)

So, I am saying Plato was more of an idealist than Kant ever was, whilst you seem to be saying the opposite? If not then it doesn't matter.
AKA badgerjelly
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Plato was not a Kantian idealist. Plato doesn't say when you leave the room and take your experience manufacturing equipment with you, the room "disappears", as Kant did (though, of course, infamously, there is some noumenal something, closer to Berkeleys God in the quad) For Plato, the stuff is still there but it is a lesser "share" of the real Real. This stuff of the world is only becoming, not Being. Turn away from this becoming world and behold your reason and its concepts (i.e., forms), then you behold the true Reality, though imperfectly, being a mere human. Now for Kant, this becoming world is the body of intuited sensation which is "blind" without concepts to give it form. Reason reaches out and particularizes the world of otherwise chaotic sensation. So you can see how the Parmenidian and Heraclitean worlds evolved: the former was Being, the idea, look at the flower that withers in time, but the idea of flower sustains. The latter "idea" is changingless, the former passing, in Heraclitean flux, changing, Becoming not Being. It's like Kant took this Platonic model and internalized it.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

The major difference between the two is Kant refuting the possible of knowing "noumenon" in the positive sense whilst Plato didn't. As far as I can tell that is it. So Plato is much more of the idealist than Kant.

Kant was working in response to Hume's skepticism ... anyway, not getting into an exchange of "he said ..."

I agree KANT is monumental! One helluva read (emphasis on HELL, because its certainly tries to make your brain explode!)
AKA badgerjelly
Pages

Post by Pages »

First of all,
If nobody knows the actual aim of life's existence, why do we uphold the views of other philosophers?
Yes, some people are too lazy to think but, those people are not philosophers and I'd like to think most of the people in this forum are, more or less.
My point: As far as I'm concerned and as wide as I've read, no philosopher has solved any philosophical problem. Most either point out common sense or settle on a theory at best.
Most things I see in philosophical forums are reiterations, repetitions and quotations. Don't we have philosophers anymore?

Secondly,
Why philosophize at all? The more one knows or searches, the more one realizes how little one knows. People who actually philosophize would understand. Philosophers would be miserable people because they dig till they die, knowing fully well that they won't find answers but, still go ahead to think because they have trained their minds not to be able to think about anything else. Is it human nature to just create problems by any means?
The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?
Pages

Post by Pages »

By other philosophers I mean, old philosophers
The people who were trying to make this world worse are not taking the day off. Why should I?
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Pages wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 11:41 am First of all,
If nobody knows the actual aim of life's existence, why do we uphold the views of other philosophers?
Yes, some people are too lazy to think but, those people are not philosophers and I'd like to think most of the people in this forum are, more or less.
My point: As far as I'm concerned and as wide as I've read, no philosopher has solved any philosophical problem. Most either point out common sense or settle on a theory at best.
Most things I see in philosophical forums are reiterations, repetitions and quotations. Don't we have philosophers anymore?
First of all, after statistical physics this aim cannot be constant in time unless it's simply beeing exterminate. So the "goal" of life itself, has either to change or it's path dependent on the set of stochastic processes. The more interesting question is not the goal as a single state, but the existence of some kind of utility function, that contains for humans more than simple evolution. The philosophy then of the reason of life are the consequences
of such a utility function , which could include moral and would then have implications on ethics. This has to be seen in correspondence of the evolution of our scientific picture of this world.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

The more one knows or searches, the more one realizes how little one knows.

Pages. That is the use of philosophy really. I mean you could treat philosophy as a pure and abstract thing which is entirely unfalsifiable and whittle away the hours, if you wish. But we all apply our philosophies to our everyday actions. Your example above is something many people on the forum fail to realise and they spend their life fruitlessly arguing irrelevance on this forum.
Unknown means unknown.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream