How To Counter A Flawed Philosophy - NICELY????

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Judaka

Re: How To Counter A Flawed Philosophy - NICELY????

Post by Judaka »

I'm really thinking about a belief that a person's underlying nature doesn't change but that stress and or drugs let them express that true nature
I think the issue with countering an argument like that is the terminology, in order to counter an argument like this you need to understand exactly what is meant by "nature" and "true nature". So long as it's enigmatic, you can't really counter the argument. The argument may not even be invalid, depending on those definitions. Once you have the definitions, you can make a counter argument using their own logic to demonstrate invalidity.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

That's right.
You can ask "What do you mean by their nature?" Temperament? Character? Desires? Attitudes? Where do these traits come from? When you say 'true nature', do you mean that people usually hide their desires and attitudes, but let them show under the influence of chemicals? But then, don't we all hide some of our nature? What is good behaviour, virtue and manners but a suppression of our true nature?
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Alias wrote: January 12th, 2018, 11:05 am That's right.
You can ask "What do you mean by their nature?" Temperament? Character? Desires? Attitudes? Where do these traits come from? When you say 'true nature', do you mean that people usually hide their desires and attitudes, but let them show under the influence of chemicals? But then, don't we all hide some of our nature? What is good behaviour, virtue and manners but a suppression of our true nature?
Ok, I'm confused about the role that last sentence would play in my argument.

I don't believe that people's "true nature" needs to be suppressed.

To make it clear where I'm coming from, I believe that Homo sapiens is a social species whose population took off as never before in Evolution when the strength and complexity of our social behaviors increased. To me, that means we are "hard-wired" to be social, therefore "good". We are also hard wired to have impulses like the rest of the mammals that push (particularly males) towards violence, sexual misconduct, greed, sloth, etc.. The evidence such as it is and my life experience back this up, I believe.

Also, I've had panic disorder in the past, so I know what it feels like when (as I see it) a primitive part of your brain sends impulses to the rest of your brain that are perfectly authentic-seeming, but do not comport with reality. To me, different parts of the brain process different information differently and the same information differently.

So the idea of a "true nature" that is singular seems totally wrong to me.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

BTW, Forumites, this is a VERY productive conversation. I really thank you for it.
Alias

Post by Alias »

Dlaw wrote: January 12th, 2018, 1:42 pm [But then, don't we all hide some of our nature? What is good behaviour, virtue and manners but a suppression of our true nature?]

And yet you go on to show exactly how it does:
we are "hard-wired" to be social, therefore "good". We are also hard wired to have impulses like the rest of the mammals that push (particularly males) towards violence, sexual misconduct, greed, sloth, etc..
And those are the impulses that alcohol and drugs, as well as some other outside influences, liberate from conscious control.
In a smaller way, and on a daily, hourly basis, we all have to suppress the impulse to say something unkind, to make a rude noise, to laugh at someone's misfortune, to ask an inappropriate questions, to touch an off-limit person or body part, to remove our clothing, to grimace or point, or leer or stare or spit or sneeze or scratch or take the last cookie.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Alias wrote: January 12th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Dlaw wrote: January 12th, 2018, 1:42 pm [But then, don't we all hide some of our nature? What is good behaviour, virtue and manners but a suppression of our true nature?]

And yet you go on to show exactly how it does:
Fair enough. I didn't actually mean that to be critical in any way.
we are "hard-wired" to be social, therefore "good". We are also hard wired to have impulses like the rest of the mammals that push (particularly males) towards violence, sexual misconduct, greed, sloth, etc..
And those are the impulses that alcohol and drugs, as well as some other outside influences, liberate from conscious control.
In a smaller way, and on a daily, hourly basis, we all have to suppress the impulse to say something unkind, to make a rude noise, to laugh at someone's misfortune, to ask an inappropriate questions, to touch an off-limit person or body part, to remove our clothing, to grimace or point, or leer or stare or spit or sneeze or scratch or take the last cookie.
Here's the thing - are those misbehaviors excesses of degree or flaws in fundamental motivations? Anyone can get angry, but can anyone say really hurtful things when he's angry? That's part of the question that brought this up, so let me put it out there.

I'm very much on the "excesses of degree" side of the argument. Yes, I think there are behaviors that some Homo sapiens - with the benefit of growth and rudimentary positive conditioning - simply could not engage in no matter how much they were stimulated. But I think history shows us there are not many.

Certainly women seem consistently incapable of certain acts of barbarism even when forced, and some men too. It's harder to say that a man "wouldn't ever" do anything, based on the extremes of behavior male Homo sapiens have engaged in time and time again, but I think it's possible.

The degree to which otherwise normal-seeming people vary in their capacity for excess, however, is both broad and broad over the same person's lifetime.

So is "good behavior" an act of suppression or is it the channeling of a pre-existing virtuous motivation which competes with typically more selfish and less-considered motivations?
Alias

Post by Alias »

Dlaw wrote: January 12th, 2018, 5:10 pm
Here's the thing - are those misbehaviors excesses of degree or flaws in fundamental motivations? Anyone can get angry, but can anyone say really hurtful things when he's angry?
Oh yes - unless they have very deeply embedded, overpowering superego and very little id.
Anyway, my point wasn't about degrees of misbehaviour and who is capable of what.
I merely suggested that you ask you judgmental relative where the lines are to be drawn. How she tells the difference between the kind of animal impulse we all suppress under civilized conditioning and the bad behaviour that manifests the "true nature" of people she condemns.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Certainly women seem consistently incapable of certain acts of barbarism even when forced, and some men too. It's harder to say that a man "wouldn't ever" do anything, based on the extremes of behavior male Homo sapiens have engaged in time and time again, but I think it's possible
http://www.historynet.com/men-against-f ... am-war.htm There are statistics about world war 2 and the American-vietnamese war that show the vast majority of men were unwilling to shoot or kill others even when permitted and ordered to do so. Some figures showing only 2% of soldiers in ww2 shot to kill which included psychopaths which constitute 1 in every 100 people and probably more in armies.
Yes, I think there are behaviors that some Homo sapiens - with the benefit of growth and rudimentary positive conditioning - simply could not engage in no matter how much they were stimulated. But I think history shows us there are not many.
The solution to this was to "condition" people to shoot to kill by implementing training exercises where soldiers were taught to shoot on reflex at cut outs in the shape of humans. The evidence suggests things are actually entirely reversed from your views, there is no need to condition people to non-violence.

There are many factors in why men commit violent crime, firstly once again it is estimated that 15-25% of prisoners are psychopaths and more with regards to violent crime. Ultimately my point is that your view is incorrect, though I doubt you care.
So is "good behavior" an act of suppression or is it the channeling of a pre-existing virtuous motivation which competes with typically more selfish and less-considered motivations?
Whether you repress your "bad" side or channel your "good side" basically I think most of the really "bad" stuff are not options to most people who have neither power or desire to do "bad". Normal people don't need to sit down and remind themselves not to rape and kill others, past that point it comes down to your idea of "good behaviour" which is surely different to mine.

And to go back to the topic at hand, does a person's inhibitions and restraint not comport to some degree their "true nature"? If you are born with violent tendencies beyond your control and struggle against them, is that not more of an accomplishment than being born as someone with no violent tendencies and then committing no crimes? Why would the former individual be praised as having a virtuous "true nature" when they aren't even responsible for their own "goodness".
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Dlaw are you a Christian?
Unknown means unknown.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

My advice: normally people who have a really firm belief in the arguments they present, no matter how bad they are, will not change their view no matter the arguments you present to them. Debating with those people is a lost cause. Even if you demonstrate your argument is superior they will simply disregard it. So I'd say not to dwell in any arguments with those people. It will only frustrate you.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

How does one nicely debate a person who makes claims that you are is sub-human by virtue of genetics?

You don't because it is effectively a declaration of war.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

Greta wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:34 pm How does one nicely debate a person who makes claims that you are is sub-human by virtue of genetics?

Amen!
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Eduk wrote: January 13th, 2018, 2:21 pm Dlaw are you a Christian?
I'm a Christian Atheist - but I guess you knew the answer might be a little complicated.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Greta wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:34 pm How does one nicely debate a person who makes claims that you are is sub-human by virtue of genetics?

That's exactly how I always take it, Greta.

But at the same time, it's such a hardy, recurring idea among humans that I don't know if the answer is just to throw everyone who thinks that way at all under the same bus as those whose feeling of superiority guides their everyday behavior.

(Any guess whom I might be thinking of?}
Alias

Post by Alias »

Does this mean perpetual war - parent against child, brother vs. brother... ? No parlay, ever?
...Safvd...
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream