How To Counter A Flawed Philosophy - NICELY????

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: How To Counter A Flawed Philosophy - NICELY????

Post by Eduk »

So you believe in God and not in God, isn't that against the law of non contradiction?
Unknown means unknown.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Eduk wrote: January 15th, 2018, 2:53 pm So you believe in God and not in God, isn't that against the law of non contradiction?
There is no God.

Yet God and Gods are an inevitable feature of human thought and culture.

Maybe there really isn't a contradiction there, but I don't understand exactly how and I think that if people pursue that question they can engage in "spirituality" and receive the demonstrated benefits thereof without falling into destructive delusions.

I don't know if it's possible but I have Faith it's possible.

So that sounds to me like everything I want in a religion: Mystery, Faith, Hope, Veneration for Culture and Art, the whole nine yards.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 12:43 pm
Steve3007 wrote: January 14th, 2018, 5:33 pm

To be fair, the person I suspect you might be thinking of didn't actually claim that you are sub-human by virtue of genetics. He just claimed that you are "emotionally labile, fickle, unpredictable, untrustworthy, disloyal, disingenuous, inherently disposed to dissimulation, dissembling, a chronic lier, cunning, manipulative and duplicitous, like a naughty, mischievous child who needs the firm supervision and guidance of man if you are not to generate, mischief, mayhem, trouble and grief" by virtue of genetics.

But seriously: do you think it was a mistake on my part to give that kind of odious worldview another platform after his original one was sunk? I'm reminded of the saying that if you mud-wrestle with a pig you both get dirty and pretty soon you realize that the pig is enjoying it. I think the "pig" in enjoying it. I originally honestly thought that the pig might be faking it. Now I don't.

As you suggest, once war has been declared maybe the time for "jaw jaw" is over.
A strident sexist is here?

Oh, no, please don't get rid of him yet.

I have plans for him.

:)

Ugh don't bother. Me and Greta gave up because its just beyond stupid.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Littlemoon wrote: January 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm
Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 12:43 pm

A strident sexist is here?

Oh, no, please don't get rid of him yet.

I have plans for him.

:)

Ugh don't bother. Me and Greta gave up because its just beyond stupid.
Yeah, but I can have fun with him.

All sexists are fundamentally egotistical perverts.

They are the men prostitutes look down on.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

Well you can find him in the xenophobic anti female threads. Shouldn't be too hard to find :P
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Littlemoon wrote: January 15th, 2018, 3:18 pm Well you can find him in the xenophobic anti female threads. Shouldn't be too hard to find :P
When I have the time.

Again my suspicion is that I've tangled with him before and there is even more wrong with him than he now lets on.

His writing style just seems very familiar to me.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:10 pm

When I have the time.

Again my suspicion is that I've tangled with him before and there is even more wrong with him than he now lets on.

Honestly, from the bottom of my heart, I pity these kind of people because I wonder what traumas they experienced in their life. How sad it is to be so obtuse, so ill driven, so traumatized. And pity, is what they deserve.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 12:49 pmWhat I mean is that, in my experience, left-wing ranters are just people who are so turned-up emotionally that they have no bandwidth left for discussion. Right-wing ranters, in my experience, are sadists who just learn a particular line of rhetoric that hurts people and then see how good they can become at it. That's why the right-wing echo chamber sounds so uniform while the left-wing "echo chamber" is a cacaphony.

The important thing to remember about right-wing ranters is that they don't really have any beliefs. All their views spring directly from narcissism, so you have to attack the person rather than the argument immediately and never relent.
Some nice pick ups there. Both the hard right and the hard left are anxious. Each is terrified that a precarious balance is being lost and they feel responsible for doing something to save it. Each, in their fear, is unresponsive to reason, and that is the problem. Without reason there can only be conflict; these people operate as civic parasites and most times you will find they are affiliated with a group of like-minded neurotics.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Littlemoon wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:18 pm
Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:10 pm

When I have the time.

Honestly, from the bottom of my heart, I pity these kind of people because I wonder what traumas they experienced in their life. How sad it is to be so obtuse, so ill driven, so traumatized. And pity, is what they deserve.
As I said, their sadists and some of them are psychopaths. Sadly, sadism is a surprisingly common affliction that's not much talked about.

https://www.popsci.com/science/article/ ... re-sadists
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Sorry "they're sadists and some of them..."

I HAVE to edit more. I apologize.
Littlemoon

Post by Littlemoon »

Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:39 pm
Littlemoon wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:18 pm

As I said, their sadists and some of them are psychopaths. Sadly, sadism is a surprisingly common affliction that's not much talked about.

Actually there is a reason behind this. Our society leans on the "quick fix" instead of the cure. The quick fix here is the use of pills to treat these disorders instead of going in a full treatment of psychiatry followed by psychology. It is far more economical to treat these people with a pill then the large and extensive treatment sessions.
The society economy thrives more if we can "save time" with these quick fixes, because what matters is for you to be productive. So if we treat you with a pill that is easy to administrate and get you back on work to be useful, we are saving millions in the short run. In the long run, not so much. I speak against myself since I'm a pharmacist but I abhor the idea of the pill fixes everything argument.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

I'm late to this one.

Being someone who really likes Jung there is merit to the idea of individuation. Through stress and strain our true natures are revealed. Facing our darker side is necessary for a productive life IMO.

As for confronting ignorance. We all have enough of our own ignorance and bias to deal with so why bother about other people's ? The task on ourselves is far greater and more easily manageable. If you manage to do a better job than other people in confronting your own flaws and merits (both the same thing to some degree) then others will notice something in you and heed your words.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

Dlaw so you are an atheist who likes the church?
In my experience that would be a significant number of the people who go to church (perhaps the majority). Maybe not explicitly atheist, perhaps more undecided and not really caring.
I'm basically against all large social groups that I know of. I'm an atheist but I see no difference between the average atheist and the average theist. They have just joined different clubs for the most part.
Unknown means unknown.
Dlaw

Post by Dlaw »

Littlemoon wrote: January 15th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Dlaw wrote: January 15th, 2018, 5:39 pm

Actually there is a reason behind this. Our society leans on the "quick fix" instead of the cure. The quick fix here is the use of pills to treat these disorders instead of going in a full treatment of psychiatry followed by psychology. It is far more economical to treat these people with a pill then the large and extensive treatment sessions.
The society economy thrives more if we can "save time" with these quick fixes, because what matters is for you to be productive. So if we treat you with a pill that is easy to administrate and get you back on work to be useful, we are saving millions in the short run. In the long run, not so much. I speak against myself since I'm a pharmacist but I abhor the idea of the pill fixes everything argument.
I've had the difficult experience of having to depend on psycho-active medicines just to get through my day without panic attacks. They're a godsend when used in conjunction with what's really a lifetime commitment to therapy-guided mental discipline. I agree with you that we make a terrible mistake when we tell people that they have some sort of "chemical imbalance" and these pills are going to make them ok.

Modern life is very stressful on some Homo sapiens' brains. I think it produces effects a lot like captivity produces on wild animals. If your general level of arousal is dialed way up and you don't have a forest or a plain to constantly scan for danger and opportunity, you will start to go nuts. If your general level of arousal is dialed way down and you don't have cold, heat and the pain of constant physical activity of an outdoor life to ignore, you're going to get depressed.

I'm not suggesting that mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics aren't necessary to keep some people functioning, but we all know these are bricks rather than band-aids. Even the most necessary psychoactives are very inexact therapies, whereas teaching lifelong coping skills is the only real answer, although it's not a cure.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream