Why we Cannot have the Right Not To Be Offended

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: Why we Cannot have the Right Not To Be Offended

Post by Sy Borg »

Frost wrote: February 6th, 2018, 9:20 pm
Greta wrote: February 4th, 2018, 1:05 am
Basically, you are a fundamentalist libertarian. Thus, you are not interested in conversation but opportunities to preach your brand of orthodoxy.

In other words, you take more or less everything done by governments for granted. Ridiculous. I think you need other than fundamentalist libertarian sources too. What you did there was the equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness quoting from Watchtower magazine.
In other words, when you cannot refute my points just label me in an attempt to negate me. I quoted an actual section of an economics textbook and you try to brush it off as "fundamentalist libertarian sources." Give me a break.
I have simply never met a libertarian who was even remotely interested in other's opinions. In every case they just want to preach it from the mountain - without exception.

Thus, learning from experience, once I realise that a person is libertarian then I figure that their views will be utterly fixed and will accord entirely with libertarian orthodoxy, and is therefore predictable. That, along with their refusal to countenance any counter logic, makes discussion with libertarians tend to be a frustrating waste of time for all parties - for the libertarian in finding his preaching falling on deaf ears and from others, whose arguments are not seriously considered.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Greta wrote: February 6th, 2018, 11:58 pm
Frost wrote: February 6th, 2018, 9:20 pm

In other words, when you cannot refute my points just label me in an attempt to negate me. I quoted an actual section of an economics textbook and you try to brush it off as "fundamentalist libertarian sources." Give me a break.
I have simply never met a libertarian who was even remotely interested in other's opinions. In every case they just want to preach it from the mountain - without exception.

Thus, learning from experience, once I realise that a person is libertarian then I figure that their views will be utterly fixed and will accord entirely with libertarian orthodoxy, and is therefore predictable. That, along with their refusal to countenance any counter logic, makes discussion with libertarians tend to be a frustrating waste of time for all parties - for the libertarian in finding his preaching falling on deaf ears and from others, whose arguments are not seriously considered.
You're so full of ****. Really.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

You can say that, Frost, but I think you'll find that that is precisely the view most people have of you. You are a massive windbag and blowhard.

Your libertarianism is simply a form of fundamentalism. You are not discussing issues but preaching orthodox market fundamentalism.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Greta wrote: February 7th, 2018, 12:21 am You can say that, Frost, but I think you'll find that that is precisely the view most people have of you. You are a massive windbag and blowhard.

Your libertarianism is simply a form of fundamentalism. You are not discussing issues but preaching orthodox market fundamentalism.
Yes, I am trying to explain economics to people like you that are obviously uneducated in it yet have no problems making all sorts of claims about it and tell me how wrong I am. I have attempted to explain in many different posts about the issues and when I attempt to provide reference for an economics text to explain the specific issue at hand, you just blow it off. You're a **** hypocrite.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Your views are orthodox, standard libertarian fare.

Do you disagree with any of the Libertarian Party's platform? https://www.lp.org/platform/

You are simply arrogant and smug as you cling to your cliched, blinkered so-called "education" while airing the ignorant notion that no one should have to pay tax, and speaking about tax as if it's theft, as though all the shared infrastructure would appear and be maintained automatically.

You seem more deft in your abuse than in debate. You could have shown me how I was wrong to label you a libertarian - if that was true - but you did not. It's easier to just abuse.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Greta wrote: February 7th, 2018, 12:39 am Your views are orthodox, standard libertarian fare.

Do you disagree with any of the Libertarian Party's platform? https://www.lp.org/platform/

You are simply arrogant and smug as you cling to your cliched, blinkered so-called "education" while airing the ignorant notion that no one should have to pay tax, and speaking about tax as if it's theft, as though all the shared infrastructure would appear and be maintained automatically.

You seem more deft in your abuse than in debate. You could have shown me how I was wrong to label you a libertarian - if that was true - but you did not. It's easier to just abuse.
Ahh, coming from the woman that instead of addressing the actual economic issues presented is attempting to label me and insult that label. **** off you stupid bitch.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Goodbye Frosty. Enjoy your break from the forum.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

I wonder if Frost can see the irony between his last comment and first comments.
Particularly the one about Peterson supporters being far less hateful in their speech. Cherry picking is overused and at the same time under applied.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk wrote: February 7th, 2018, 4:34 am I wonder if Frost can see the irony between his last comment and first comments.
Particularly the one about Peterson supporters being far less hateful in their speech. Cherry picking is overused and at the same time under applied.
It is that kind of contrary speech which worries some of us. Without further explanation you leave us guessing what you mean by something being "overused" and "under applied".
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Who is us? Besides asking you to do a little work isn't the end of the world. You can lead a horse to water and all that.
Let me try to be clearer. Cherry picking is often levelled at people by people who are themselves cherry picking. It is overused in that it has become a standard complaint which is simply shrugged off as basically meaningless. At the same time cherry picking is ubiquitous and many people would do well to consider if they were suffering from the complaint, so in this sense it is under applied.
I hope that sheds some light on my intended meaning for some of 'you'
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

"Us" who look for clarity in speech and writing.

There are a number of stale idioms thrown around philosophy forums that bug me; I have to admit I do occasional use them myself out of laziness.

I am well aware that the faults I point out in others are recognized by me because I've come to see them in myself and so combat it as best I can when I see it - I have the happy position of using "delete" when I see myself doing so, so you'll hopefully find only ephemeral hypocrisy in my writing.

I could guess at the meaning, but I shouldn't have to should I? That was my point. Sometimes the best we can do is give the best gist we can (I am not saying writing is the perfect form of communication.)

I would have paraphrased your sentenced like this:

"People are happy to cherry pick facts to suit their arguments, but they are not so willing to apply them beyond the personal use they are put to." Which I could further paraphrase to say more succinctly, "Correlation is not proof, yet we're inclined to fall into the trap of believing it is due to bias."

You echo Orwell and, funnily enough, appear to use a kind of doublespeak by saying "under applied" yet "overused". I found it amusing so commented. See "Politics and the English Language," by George Orwell (His rules at the end of the piece some up most of this.)

Now I have to go build a straw Scotsman laden with cherries who dances on Ockham's razor ;)
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Thank you for the link, I like Orwell.

When you say I echo Orwell, how do you mean? I can't tell if you are accusing Orwell of being for or against doublespeak? Personally I am very flattered to be compared with Orwell (even if you did mean it in a negative way).

Orwell makes the same point as I did near the start of this topic
The word Fascism has now no meaning except in so far as it signifies ‘something not desirable’.
Except I replaced Fascist with Liberal.

I would say that I tend to avoid the most obvious way of saying something. In part I do this because I find it patronizing to simply point out what should be blindingly obvious. I prefer to make people think for themselves (though it has never happened yet so I'm probably not good at it). So sometimes I am deliberately subversive and use words in a difficult manner which is not easily understood. I kind of hope my meaning is clear enough to anyone who can be bothered to think about it though, but perhaps not.

Oh I don't claim to be anything like as clear as Orwell and I am often unclear through simple poor writing ability :)
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Yes, Eduk, the above turned out to be a demonstration of the topic's subject matter. Only one side of politics hates? Not in my observations.

Also note that it's not only the left who is politically correct; the right probably has more sacred cows still but, when you are dominant, a sacred cow is simply "sacred". What I enjoy is today's general disregard for that which others hold sacred. If societies are released from the irrational bonds of sacredness, it opens up the way for reason and logic, even if there is much turbulence in the "shoreline" of change from mechanistic attribution of value to a more considered approach.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

What is the mechanistic attribution of value? And what is the more considered approach?
The term political correctness might be relatively recent but the concept of telling people what they want to hear is as old as humans.
Unknown means unknown.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Eduk wrote: February 8th, 2018, 4:32 am What is the mechanistic attribution of value? And what is the more considered approach?
The term political correctness might be relatively recent but the concept of telling people what they want to hear is as old as humans.
An example of mechanistic attribution of value might be noted in the extreme reflexive reactions at even a hint of criticism of that military. A more considered approach might be the hear out the criticism and decide whether it is fair or not.

Just yesterday here in Aust a former military man was sworn in to the Liberal Party. A Green politician then criticised the former soldier's record as regards welfare of his troops and civilians while in service. It is normal to criticise the previous job performance of incoming politicians - but not if they are with the military! There was a huge brouhaha.

The outraged speeches of those criticising Bandt for his comments were interesting to see - people from a party that falsely prides itself in not being PC displayed blatant hypocrisy in their own political correctness.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream