Causation in subjective distinctions

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Judaka

Causation in subjective distinctions

Post by Judaka »

Hi All

I have classified subjectively defined labels and their applicability to be thought of causally, recently I questioned whether others would agree and wanted some clarification on this. So when we label someone as rude or ugly, in that the cause of our thinking this way can be clearly defined, in that the individual meets our criteria for the classification, could we define this to be cause and effect? Despite that the classification relies on interpretations and definitions that are subjectively defined, which make the classification what it is?

Where do you draw the line as far as describing causation in these kinds of subjective classifications? While I think of these things causally, I believe that distinctions need to be made between indisputable causation and causation that relies on subjective categorisation and interpretation.
Frost

Re: Causation in subjective distinctions

Post by Frost »

I do not think that in the ontologically subjective mode of existence there are antecedent causally sufficient conditions.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Frost wrote: February 1st, 2018, 1:23 am I do not think that in the ontologically subjective mode of existence there are antecedent causally sufficient conditions.
I see you were able to resist throwing in "epistemologically" on this occasion. Well done.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

I think of all cause/effect situations in terms of a process that looks roughly like input -> agent -> output, where I assign causation to the agent and effect to the output. One such output could be the creation of a class, say, "rudeness". The input of that classification would be whatever other concepts are combined to make that class. Once the class is available to the agent, future processes (input -> agent -> output) can assign that class to individuals. So yes, I see causation in associating people with concepts like "rude".

The difficulty arises when you try to compare your concepts with other people's concepts. It's hard to be certain that the concepts were created (caused) in the same way.

[wags finger at Albert]
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Judaka wrote: January 31st, 2018, 11:42 pm Hi All

I have classified subjectively defined labels and their applicability to be thought of causally, recently I questioned whether others would agree and wanted some clarification on this. So when we label someone as rude or ugly, in that the cause of our thinking this way can be clearly defined, in that the individual meets our criteria for the classification, could we define this to be cause and effect? Despite that the classification relies on interpretations and definitions that are subjectively defined, which make the classification what it is?

Where do you draw the line as far as describing causation in these kinds of subjective classifications? While I think of these things causally, I believe that distinctions need to be made between indisputable causation and causation that relies on subjective categorisation and interpretation.
What if the reason that you decide to label someone as being "rude" or "ugly" is a consequence of the fact that you are afflicted with some species of severe delusional psychosis that renders your higher cognitive processes irrational and nonsensical relative to those of a typical, average healthy adult? For you, cause and (verbal) effect are not rationally/ logically connected to one another in any reasonably determinate manner. In your case, that is, the cause of your thinking and utterance cannot, in fact, be clearly defined or elucidated in any comprehensible manner at all; because the fact is that, frankly, your are legally insane ( or medically speaking, "barking mad"), and the person you just labelled as rude and ugly was is in actual fact , well known to be a polite and quietly spoken, famous fashion model who is universally regarded by millions of average Americans as being a great beauty. Same goes for the giant, flying, pink -and- blue- striped elephant you insist on telling me is hovering dangerously just below the ceiling of the room we are both now seated in ? What elephant, I say ? I can't see one ! "Are you blind, man " !! you shout back, in reply, "I can see it up there as plain as the nose on your face" !!

Regards

Dachshund
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

I think of all cause/effect situations in terms of a process that looks roughly like input -> agent -> output, where I assign causation to the agent and effect to the output. One such output could be the creation of a class, say, "rudeness".
This is how I would normally think of causation too and I agree that the creation of a classification like "rudeness" would be fairly straight forward to explained causally but then using then proceeding to actually use the label creates a situation where causation is no longer just occurring but it's being sorted into classifications and then being used to form subjective distinctions. So many subjective particulars come into play, such as how much rude behaviour is needed to make someone rude, whether some rude actions are more impactful than others on the classification, consistency vs magnitude and then deciding whether intent matters or not and so on. All of these things which aren't really to do with either the cause or the effect of the actual distinction.

I think of these things causally but I guess I don't feel that the cause necessarily leads to the effect, maybe it's simply our opinion that it ought to. I'm not sure whether it deserves to be called causation or not but it's definitely not the same thing as standard causation.
What if the reason that you decide to label someone as being "rude" or "ugly" is a consequence of the fact that you are afflicted with some species of severe delusional psychosis
I agree and that's part of the point I was making. There's causation all over the place and much of it is more about the individual making the distinction than the actual causation involved with a person being classified as rude or ugly. Clearly there's causation in a mad man being mad but that doesn't appear as though it should be involved in the process between an individual being classified as rude if it's causal. I generally thought of causation as demonstrable and repeatable so can something so biased and subjective really be considered causal? I don't know, I thought though that the word describing standardized causation and causation in social situations shouldn't be the same.

It seems to me that when people approach issues like what they "deserve" and what they're "worth" causally and it can cause a lot of grief and perhaps if they viewed it as being the result of their interpretations and biases - they would be more able to construct a more positive image of themselves. Just one example of why I think this kind of conflation is harmful.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Judaka wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:19 am This is how I would normally think of causation too and I agree that the creation of a classification like "rudeness" would be fairly straight forward to explained causally but then using then proceeding to actually use the label creates a situation where causation is no longer just occurring but it's being sorted into classifications and then being used to form subjective distinctions. So many subjective particulars come into play, such as how much rude behaviour is needed to make someone rude, whether some rude actions are more impactful than others on the classification, consistency vs magnitude and then deciding whether intent matters or not and so on. All of these things which aren't really to do with either the cause or the effect of the actual distinction.
If classification requires interpretation, we are dealing with semantics. How does semantics function causally? How can something that requires interpretation function causally? If a person acts in the form of a decision, that act functions causally, but the thought itself doesn't cause the act of decision since it was the agent that acted.
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Frost wrote: February 1st, 2018, 11:09 am How can something that requires interpretation function causally?
What's to stop it?
Frost

Post by Frost »

Albert Tatlock wrote: February 1st, 2018, 4:50 pm
Frost wrote: February 1st, 2018, 11:09 am How can something that requires interpretation function causally?
What's to stop it?
How do you get from the physics to the semantics and back again?
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Frost wrote: February 1st, 2018, 5:08 pm
Albert Tatlock wrote: February 1st, 2018, 4:50 pm

What's to stop it?
That's just another question, Frost, I was rather hoping for an answer.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Albert Tatlock wrote: February 1st, 2018, 5:19 pm
Frost wrote: February 1st, 2018, 5:08 pm

That's just another question, Frost, I was rather hoping for an answer.
There is no way to get from the physics to the semantics and back again in purely physical causal terms.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

Frost wrote: February 1st, 2018, 11:09 am
Judaka wrote: February 1st, 2018, 3:19 am This is how I would normally think of causation too and I agree that the creation of a classification like "rudeness" would be fairly straight forward to explained causally but then using then proceeding to actually use the label creates a situation where causation is no longer just occurring but it's being sorted into classifications and then being used to form subjective distinctions. So many subjective particulars come into play, such as how much rude behaviour is needed to make someone rude, whether some rude actions are more impactful than others on the classification, consistency vs magnitude and then deciding whether intent matters or not and so on. All of these things which aren't really to do with either the cause or the effect of the actual distinction.
If classification requires interpretation, we are dealing with semantics. How does semantics function causally? How can something that requires interpretation function causally? If a person acts in the form of a decision, that act functions causally, but the thought itself doesn't cause the act of decision since it was the agent that acted.
Where do you draw the line though? What about involuntary thoughts? Or thoughts which are the result of reactions to certain stimulus? Or the influence of suggestion? And so on.

I think that generally in this case, the causation doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion but it's still a causal argument. To get into other examples we can say "why does the fat kid have no friends" is it because he's fat, rude, anti-social and whatever or because people are too superficial to get over his shortcomings (Assuming that's the reason for him having no friends). So while it's subjective, they're both still causal arguments: He has no friends because he is unlikable and/or because others are biased against him. Or is there no causation as far as you are concerned, within social circumstances?

So would you define arguments like "I don't deserve happiness because I killed someone while drunk driving" without talking about causation? Clearly it's entirely subjective and therefore wrong/invalid as an actual argument but it seems to still be a causal argument.
Frost

Post by Frost »

Man must act. His actions can be influenced, and you can say that those influences have a certain causal relation in that influence, but man must act, and it is that action which is the major causal factor. But there are not antecedent causally sufficient conditions for that action. Thoughts don't cause behavior, but action does. In other words, there is a causal gap even if influences have a certain causal relation.
Judaka

Post by Judaka »

A subjective distinction doesn't need to go from being a thought to an act, all the same you recognise causality in uncertain conditions and that would mean semantics can function (somewhat) causally. I think ultimately we seem to have the same point of view but what terminology is most appropriate from the perspective of others is what I'm after.

Causality as an influence, causality in subjective distinctions and causality existing even when being held hostage to interpretation. I don't think that causality in these areas ought to be called the same thing as demonstrable causation but alas, I want to know whether people agree they currently are.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

What if the reason that you decide to label someone as being "rude" or "ugly" is a consequence of the fact that you are afflicted with some species of severe delusional psychosis
I agree and that's part of the point I was making. There's causation all over the place and much of it is more about the individual making the distinction than the actual causation involved with a person being classified as rude or ugly. Clearly there's causation in a mad man being mad but that doesn't appear as though it should be involved in the process between an individual being classified as rude if it's causal. I generally thought of causation as demonstrable and repeatable so can something so biased and subjective really be considered causal? I don't know, I thought though that the word describing standardized causation and causation in social situations shouldn't be the same.

It seems to me that when people approach issues like what they "deserve" and what they're "worth" causally and it can cause a lot of grief and perhaps if they viewed it as being the result of their interpretations and biases - they would be more able to construct a more positive image of themselves. Just one example of why I think this kind of conflation is harmful.
[/quote]

Yes, I see what you're saying. It's an interesting point.

PS: You realise, I expect, that not all natural/physical processes we observe are part of a chain of determinate, point-to-point (Newtonian) mechanistic type cause and effect relationships. When a radioactive element like (210 ) Polonium, say, decays by emitting alpha particles, the emission of alpha particles from the radioactive Polonium nucleus is a totally random -( totally/purely indeterminate) - process. That we are currently unable explain this basic phenomenon scientifically is a humble fact which, nevertheless, demands strictly speaking) that we must scrap our entire current body of physical theory immediately and go back to the "drawing board" to re-start "Physics" again from scratch (!)

Regards

Dachshund

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream