"The Sacred and The Profane," by Mircea Eliade

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

What are the differences then between historical method and ethnographic method, if we use these terms in the strict sense defined at the beginning of this essay? Both history and ethnography are concerned with societies other than the one in which we live. - p.16

- "... ethnography consists of the observation and analysis of human groups as individual entities ... Ethnography thus aims at recording as accurately as possible the respective modes of life of various groups. Ethnology, on the, other hand, utilizes for comparative purposes the data provided by the ethnographer." - p.2

- From "Structural Anthropology," by Levi-Strauss

I think these quotes outline the general problem with the field of anthropology and something each person must be vigilant about (but they can never really abscond from their own "personal/subjective" position, but still do their best to set themselves apart - and by doing so also fall prey to doing precisely what they wish not to do; the ongoing conundrum of interpretation being something utterly "human" and therefore indisposable.)

Now from Levi-Strauss I jump to Mircea Eliade and his book "The Sacred and The Profane," and the first page in the introduction

note: For context I should tell you that Eliade was primarily focused on the anthropology of religion.
The extraordinary interest aroused all over the world by Rudolf Otto's Das Heilige (The Sacred), published in 1917, still persists.
Then Eliade outlines that Otto set about to outline the "modalities" of "religious experience."
... Passing over the rational and speculative side of religion, he concentrated chiefly on its irrational aspect. For Otto had read Luther and had understood what the "living God" meant to a believer. It was not the God of philosophers - of Erasmus, for example; it was not an idea, an abstract notion, a mere moral allegory. It was a terrible power, manifested in the divine wrath.

He then goes on to explain how Otto found that a "feeling of terror" preceded the sacred, "an overwhelming superiority of power."

The introduction points out the "ganz andere" (wholly other) that is literarily indescribable. We are forced to resort to mere analogies - here I would say all words, and phraseologies, are actually just "analogies" of a special flavor and that through the written word we've come to make words "sacrosanct" and withdraw from experience by making thought preservable in physical form through writing.

Eliade introduced the term "heirophany," which he coins as an act of manifestation of the sacred - for further clarity I guess we're all familiar enough with "hieroglyph," which means "sacred carving." The term "hierophant" is the conduit between the mundane and the sacred (The Sacred and The Profane.) For instance, the shaman sometimes acts as "spirit guide" ("psychopomp") - essentially as the hierophant/guardian; someone who helps "articulate" the "ganz andere" (wholly other.)

To present something for the purpose of argumentation, if you wish to do more than comment on the above outline:

The "sacred world" comes before the "profane world." In the charting and mapping of the environment an understanding of it - a meaning context - is manifested. The "meaning" is more "real" than the physicality, and through meaning, and correspondence, the "physical" underlying ontological existence becomes known by withdrawal from the cosmologically sacred (the meaning.) As reality holds form to our understanding, as meaning becomes "factual", so the sacred is desacralized and both the sacred and the profane explode into distinct types of being.

note: Eliade talks about modern man's desacralization of the cosmos as being part of our world view and wonders about if we can regain, or understand, such views - see the issue above highlighted by Levi-Strauss (and also by Geertz - which I'll come to elsewhere most likely.)

For an everyday context Eliade talks about a "sacred stone" being just a stone and also something else specifically to the "religious" person. After the introduction there is much more depth to this with a look at "sacred space." For a brief elucidation on this we can quickly begin to understand something that Eliade calls "crypto-religious behavior" from modern man; for example our "home" has more meaning than being merely a "building," as an artifact of the human psyche the physical home and the sacred home exist in conjunction. Even for the scientist the "lab" holds a certain meaning and holds sway in their lives as a place of sanctity beyond its mere functional use each space has a deeper meaning in the field of our human emotional existence - no doubt "awe" is felt if one was to hold Einstein's pen in our hand even though we know it is "merely a pen," it is much more than that to us.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Hope you found it interesting if nothing else.
AKA badgerjelly
Namelesss

Re: "The Sacred and The Profane," by Mircea Eliade

Post by Namelesss »

Burning ghost wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:57 am "The Sacred and The Profane," by Mircea Eliade
No different than "The Tall and the Short", or the "Smart and the Dumb"!
Eliade is lost in the duality of the ego.
Transcending that duality, becoming Enlightened, Eliade would have observed that there is no 'profane or sacred', ultimately, no duality..
"The Tao is the leveler of all things!" - Chuaangtse
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Namelesss wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:02 pm
Burning ghost wrote: March 12th, 2018, 3:57 am "The Sacred and The Profane," by Mircea Eliade
Transcending that duality, becoming Enlightened, Eliade would have observed that there is no 'profane or sacred', ultimately, no duality..
My analysis is not his words. I have insinuated something along those lines not Eliade.

Eliade was a scholar of religious experience. He wrote a book on Shamanism that is little more than a blow by blow account of shamanic beliefs and practices. This book was more fueled by Eliade's own interpretations I think.

I'll be writing more on this subject later. This was only a glimpse of the introduction and a piece of the first chapter.
AKA badgerjelly
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Burning ghost wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:27 pm
Namelesss wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:02 pm
My analysis is not his words. I have insinuated something along those lines not Eliade.

Eliade was a scholar of religious experience. He wrote a book on Shamanism that is little more than a blow by blow account of shamanic beliefs and practices. This book was more fueled by Eliade's own interpretations I think.

I'll be writing more on this subject later. This was only a glimpse of the introduction and a piece of the first chapter.
I was not responding to your analysis, but to the title of his book;
(Unless the title is your doing? *__- )

I have not read the book, but I already have.
The title tells me there is nothing in it worth my time.
Dualist apologetics tend to bore me.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Idiotic assumptions based on a mere title bore me. I also find it farcical not to comment on what I wrote and instead write your views about a book title?

I'll block you now as you've probably hit around 10 posts that show static ignorance and bare faced stupidity.

Does anyone else have something intelligent to say? I realise it is a niche subject, but was hoping for maybe a question or two or some references if you've studied this area of anthropology?
AKA badgerjelly
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Burning ghost wrote: March 19th, 2018, 1:02 am Idiotic assumptions based on a mere title bore me. I also find it farcical not to comment on what I wrote and instead write your views about a book title?
I simply wasn't interested in what you wrote, but was moved to comment on the title, as it did hold that position.
Why didn't I read what you wrote?
You show us all why.
Namelesss

Post by Namelesss »

Burning ghost wrote: March 19th, 2018, 1:02 am I'll block you now as you've probably hit around 10 posts that show static ignorance and bare faced stupidity.
Ohhh, noessssss.....

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream