Anaylitic Philosophy

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
MutatedFunges
New Trial Member

Anaylitic Philosophy

Post by MutatedFunges » April 22nd, 2018, 7:50 pm

I don't have a lot of experience with analytic philosophy, but from the little I do have, it appears tautological. For example, Frege, who was trying to isolate the psychological component from the logical in languages, looks like it heavily relies on conclusions already found within Kant's work.

I guess I am asking are there creative arguments that appear in analytic philosophy alone without it being simply a translation of older philosophy into mathematical terms?

Namelesss

Re: Anaylitic Philosophy

Post by Namelesss » April 24th, 2018, 10:22 pm

MutatedFunges wrote:
April 22nd, 2018, 7:50 pm
I don't have a lot of experience with analytic philosophy, but from the little I do have, it appears tautological. For example, Frege, who was trying to isolate the psychological component from the logical in languages, looks like it heavily relies on conclusions already found within Kant's work.

I guess I am asking are there creative arguments that appear in analytic philosophy alone without it being simply a translation of older philosophy into mathematical terms?
My experience is that all 'philosophical thought' is 'analytical'/critical!
Are you referring to the masturbatory Rubic's Cube of 'formal logic'?