Are Transwomen Women?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Re: Are Transwomen Women?

Post by Eduk »

What did reimer disprove?
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk wrote: June 7th, 2018, 3:37 am An alternative to asking what 'what' means would be a thoughtful definition of woman. For example does the term woman apply only to physical characteristics or also mental characteristics. For me if a transwomen says they are a woman then the interesting question is to ask why they think that. And I, personally, would be uncomfortable simply laughing in their face and telling them they are too thick to understand they have a penis and not a vagina. At least until I heard their reasons.
Those can kind trans women can go take a jumping jump for all I care. Those that say I feel like a women, but know I’m not, are rational people and have my respect.

No, I wouldn’t laugh at someone who is deluded on purpose. I may do thinking they were joking though.

It is fine to say that you feel like a woman even though you are quite aware that you have a penis and a man’s body. I draw the line at playing along with the delusional types who in spite of their obvious physical condition refuse to accept it and expect others to buy into to their self-made delusion.

None of this is to say I believe all transgenders are delusional. Some humans are delusoinal and others less so.
AKA badgerjelly
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

None of this is to say I believe all transgenders are delusional. Some humans are delusoinal and others less so.
Good. So we agree. The answer to 'are transwomen women' is that it depends. It depends on intended usage of woman. It depends on specific circumstance. Life is complex and has nuance. For example Elon Musk recently wrote 'nano is 100% synonymous with bs'. Now nano is often used on bs sites to sell snake oil but it is also real science with real working examples. Now it's hard to tell how tongue in cheek Elon was being but regardless my point is that because you can point to one misuse of the term nano doesn't mean that all misuse of the term nano is wrong.
Unknown means unknown.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Eduk -

I don’t think you understand English. I don’t agree. Trans women are not women, yellow is not blue, and I am not a mango.

It seems the people who want to protest here wish to either misuse words or twist what others say to suit their views.

Bye!
AKA badgerjelly
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

Burning ghost wrote: June 7th, 2018, 9:34 am Eduk -

I don’t think you understand English. I don’t agree. Trans women are not women, yellow is not blue, and I am not a mango.

It seems the people who want to protest here wish to either misuse words or twist what others say to suit their views.

Bye!
It's not a question of English; its a question of degree. Trans-women are women, Margaret Thatcher was a woman and so is Roseanne Barr, God help us. Mustard yellow and canary yellow are still yellow, and so is chartreuse, though there might some who call it green.
As to whether Burning Ghost is a mango, I'm happy to take his word that it this not the case.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Eduk wrote: June 7th, 2018, 8:26 amThe answer to 'are transwomen women' is that it depends. It depends on intended usage of woman. It depends on specific circumstance. Life is complex and has nuance.
Those who think that all transwomen are women need a definition of "woman" that doesn't rule out the womanhood of unfeminized MtF transsexuals who are physically/physiologically completely male (because they aren't taking female hormones and haven't undergone any surgical procedures).

By the way, as for the meaning of "transsexual":

* "transsexual: of, relating to, or being a person whose gender identity is opposite the sex the person had or was identified as having at birth
Note: Transsexual people may or may not undergo surgery and hormone therapy to obtain a physical appearance typical of the gender they identify as."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/transsexual

* "transsexual: 1. A person who emotionally and psychologically feels that they belong to the opposite sex.
‘a pre-operative male-to-female transsexual’
1.1 A person who has undergone treatment in order to acquire the physical characteristics of the opposite sex."

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... ranssexual

So there's a distinction between pre-operative or pre-feminization (pre-masculinization) transsexuals and post-operative or post-feminization (post-masculinization) transsexuals.
Correspondingly, the question as to whether transwomen are women can be divided into two questions:

1. Are pre-op/pre-fem MtF transsexuals women?
2. Are post-op/post-fem MtF transsexuals women?

And 2 can be divided into two further questions:

2.1 Are post-op/post-fem MtF transsexuals who are maximally feminized women?
2.2 Are post-op/post-fem MtF transsexuals who are not maximally feminized women? (e.g. hormone therapy + breast implants, but penis+testicles)

(By "maximal feminization" I mean "feminization through hormone therapy and genital surgery".)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Consul wrote: June 7th, 2018, 9:59 am 2.2 Are post-op/post-fem MtF transsexuals who are not maximally feminized women? (e.g. hormone therapy + breast implants, but penis+testicles)
There are slang terms for feminized transsexuals who are taking female hormones, have female breasts (as a result of hormone-induced breast growth or/and breast implants) but still have male genitals: shemales /ladyboys. Are they women?
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

Burning Ghost are you a protester here?
So Consul, what have you taken away from this discussion? If anything.
Unknown means unknown.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Eduk wrote: June 7th, 2018, 10:11 amSo Consul, what have you taken away from this discussion? If anything.
That there's no plausible argument for the womanhood of transwomen (manhood of transmen).
(Note that I'm talking about the existential status of transsexuals and not about their legal status.)
Alias

Post by Alias »

Consul wrote: June 7th, 2018, 11:02 am That there's no plausible argument for the womanhood of transwomen (manhood of transmen).
(Note that I'm talking about the existential status of transsexuals and not about their legal status.)
So, no change of position there. No change of position here.

If there ever comes a final, inarguable, definitive answer as to the correct designation of 0.3% of the US population,
what will be affected in what way? What philosophical or metaphysical situation will be altered, and in what way?
Consul

Post by Consul »

Alias wrote: June 7th, 2018, 12:01 pmSo, no change of position there. No change of position here.
No one here presented an actual argument for the view that transwomen are women.
Eduk

Post by Eduk »

I personally presented at least two. Granted you ignored them but I did present them.
Unknown means unknown.
Alias

Post by Alias »

If there ever comes a final, inarguable, definitive answer as to the correct designation of 0.3% of the US population,
what will be affected in what way?
What philosophical or metaphysical situation will be altered, and in what way?
shuzbot
New Trial Member

Post by shuzbot »

Greta wrote: June 7th, 2018, 3:50 am
shuzbot wrote: June 4th, 2018, 7:44 pm To say that Transwomen aren't women is essentialist, is it not? I always thought that was something we were supposed to avoid. Do you believe gender is a social construct? This argument is often made by Feminists. Cordelia Fine wrote a very interesting book on this called Delusions of Gender, arguing that neuroplasticity means there should be no significant differences in performance of tasks (I am, of course, greatly oversimplifying.) But if you do agree that gender is a social construct, then Transwomen are indeed women.

Even if you believe in a more biologically determinate answer, the technological sophistication of future procedures will make this less and less of a distinction, compared to out current clumsy methods. I also think that not enough consideration is given to Transgendered people in these discussions, their identities argued over like bargaining chips. If they choose to self-identify as women, that's good enough for me. Woman don't have to justify themselves as people, gay men don't have to justify themselves as men and have to fight over their identities. If they come out of the closet, that's it, they are out.
This is a good post that was missed on the subject.

The neuroplasticity argument lost much momentum when conclusively disproved by the tragic ruin of David Reimer's life, who was essentially a guinea pig for the false notion of limitless mental gender neutrality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfeGf4Ei7F0
OOh, thanks for the link, I will watch that. My post got missed cos I am new and the mods took a while to authorise it. This thread was moving fast at the time.
Alias

Post by Alias »

shuzbot wrote: June 7th, 2018, 1:59 pm My post got missed cos I am new and the mods took a while to authorise it. This thread was moving fast at the time.
I did appreciate it, but had nothing of substance to add.
-- was more intent on trying to get a response on the significance of the "issue".

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream