We Need More Academic Philosophy on Here

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
ReasonMadeFlesh
Favorite Philosopher: Jesus Christ

We Need More Academic Philosophy on Here

Post by ReasonMadeFlesh » June 16th, 2018, 2:03 pm

I want to see more subdivisions on this forum too.

For example, we shouldn't merge epistemology and metaphysics in a single section, we need to keep them on separate sections. I want to see more refined and specific questions too.

I grow tired after seeing thousands of titles like "materialism vs idealism" - start being a little more creative. Start asking more specific questions. Start referencing people. Start quoting people! Invoke famous thought experiments and so on.

Don't waste our time by asking something like:

Are you a materialist? Discuss

Metaphysics is too big to have a single section on this forum, there's also philosophy of mind, language, mathematics etcetera.

I think it'd be good if the questions were more about specific problems and thought experiments and were responses to popular problems in philosophy.
"A philosopher who does not take part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

ReasonMadeFlesh

Re: We Need More Academic Philosophy on Here

Post by ReasonMadeFlesh » June 16th, 2018, 2:10 pm

If we want to make real progress, we have to be very precise and rigorous with our definitions too...

Don't be vague
"A philosopher who does not take part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring." - Ludwig Wittgenstein

Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 » June 16th, 2018, 2:22 pm

I asked whether nihilism was even possible. I thought the post was creative. And why would you say don't waste our time with questions like "are you a materialist" and then advocate for responses to popular problems in philosophy?

Maxcady10001

Post by Maxcady10001 » June 16th, 2018, 4:47 pm

It is weird that you would ask for more effort put into posts and then when asked a question simply write p***s

Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow » June 17th, 2018, 12:40 am

Let’s have comparative sections. For example Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard. The former adored the latter, but why? Or Kant and Heidegger. Such things would require reading but why oh why would this be disqualifying? Perhaps it would do well to put an idea on the table, Sartre and Kierkegaard on nothingness, or Wittgenstein on ethics, and so on, give a deadline for research months into the future, then discuss. Philosophical discussions can be substantive only if the reading is substantive.

Syamsu

Post by Syamsu » June 17th, 2018, 5:55 am

There should not be focus on persons, rather focus on discrete ideas. Academic philosophers are no good, they are no good to focus on discrete ideas, or use precise definitions.

Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow » June 17th, 2018, 6:31 am

What academic do philosophers are reading or talking about?

chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian » June 17th, 2018, 6:41 am

Hereandnow wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 12:40 am
Let’s have comparative sections. For example Wittgenstein and Kierkegaard. The former adored the latter, but why? Or Kant and Heidegger. Such things would require reading but why oh why would this be disqualifying? Perhaps it would do well to put an idea on the table, Sartre and Kierkegaard on nothingness, or Wittgenstein on ethics, and so on, give a deadline for research months into the future, then discuss. Philosophical discussions can be substantive only if the reading is substantive.
There was a 'book of the month' section which seems to have died off from lack of participation. It seems like the most appropriate way to discuss philosophy, but it looks like nobody wanted to play along. I'd certainly like to join in if they ever make it active again.

There is nothing preventing you, or anyone else, from starting threads to compare and contrast philosophers and philosophies as you described. Taking note of the death of the 'book of the month', one might assume it would be hard to get enough people to play along. But, you won't know unless you try.

Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel » June 17th, 2018, 11:07 am

This seems like a situation where one simply starts the threads one wants to have. Other threads one is not interested in can be ignored.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » June 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm

There is talk about phillosophical works on here. The problem is it takes time to read anything so most in depth conversations tend to be between a couple of people who’ve read some particular book and found it interesting.
AKA badgerjelly

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » June 17th, 2018, 4:32 pm

ReasonMadeFlesh wrote:
June 16th, 2018, 2:03 pm
I want .....

I want to see more ....

I grow tired ....

Start quoting people! Invoke famous thought experiments and so on.

Don't waste our time ....
THEN...

Penis

Ah, douché.
I think you might want to contribute more yourself.

ReasonMadeFlesh

Post by ReasonMadeFlesh » June 18th, 2018, 11:10 am

Burning ghost wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 2:10 pm
There is talk about phillosophical works on here. The problem is it takes time to read anything so most in depth conversations tend to be between a couple of people who’ve read some particular book and found it interesting.
That's what I'd like to see more of.
chewybrian wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 6:41 am
Taking note of the death of the 'book of the month', one might assume it would be hard to get enough people to play along. But, you won't know unless you try.
I would gladly participate.
ThomasHobbes wrote:
June 17th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Penis
I think you might want to contribute more yourself.
I am trying to show you, that I could be a complete assh0le to you, and it wouldn't matter what you have said. Some people do not care. So be prepared to expect responses like this when discussing philosophy - especially online. I don't want anyone to go through what I have went through.

As for my contributions, compare my post count to yours.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » June 18th, 2018, 11:26 am

ReasonMadeFlesh wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 11:10 am
Well duh! You joined five years ago.

BTW.
it's content not number that counts.

ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes » June 18th, 2018, 11:29 am

ReasonMadeFlesh wrote:
June 18th, 2018, 11:10 am
700 posts in five years is a pretty poor showing for number too.

Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost » June 18th, 2018, 11:40 am

How about you just create a thread about the work you’d like to discuss? Seems a no brainer to me.

Failing that join other philosophy forums where the academic approach is more welcome.

Make a suggestion and I’ll say if I’ve read it or whether or not I can be bothered reading it anytime soon.
AKA badgerjelly