In Praise of Tattoos

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Steve3007

Re: In Praise of Tattoos

Post by Steve3007 »

As I type this it is Friday lunchtime conversation time in the office and my tattooed colleague is railing against enforced political correctness and phoney notions of gender equality in the movie industry. I feel you'd get on well, John. Such a pity you can't see through the tattoos to the conservative heart.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I'm thinking of marketing a range of "I don't care what's written on Melania Trump's jacket" jackets.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:24 am Correlation is not causation is a common enough axiom.
Nope, I meant exactly what I said "correlation" there is no mutual relationship between tattoos and level of intelligence.
[/quote]

You are still wrong.
Everything correlates to every thing else, though few things are connected causally.
What the **** do you think scientists mean when they say correlation is not causation?
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:24 am Where I come from tattoos are considered sacred and are a respected tradition deeply inbeded our culture.
In that case you should assist with the task of de-uglifying and de-stupidification of late Western societies like Australia by taking yourself and your heavily tattooed body ( which is, in itself, prima facie evidence of your low intelligence and appalling bad taste) back to the cognitively -challenged, primitive culture ( probably black or brown) from which you arrived.

BTW, it's also considered vulgar, bad mannered and in bad taste for one to boast about their own intelligence in polite, white/European Western society. (Something you probably don't understand).

In any case, finally, having achieve promotion to middle management in a large capitalist corporation does not require what I would call any kind of genuine intelligence. What is demands, rather is a narrow, myopic mind that is amenable to be reordered by an instrumental teachnical rationalism, that is the kind of uncritical mind can be quickly and effectively programmed to obey and delivery basic commands in the process of generating profit/capital. These corporations tells to attract narrow-minded, callous, greedy morons who understand the simplistic mechanics of profit-generation, but not much else. My point is that any half-wit can fill and flourish in that kind of role, most civilized persons, however, persons, I mean, who possess a more refined, sophisticated and creative set of rational faculties instinctively shun this kind of employment as a cog into the tedious, repetitive, quasi-meaningful workings of a large, soul-destroying and profoundly alienating capitalist machine.

Regards

Dachshund
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dachshund wrote: June 21st, 2018, 1:56 am Timothy Leary, the former chief guru of the 1960s psychedelic "hippie" counter-culture in the US was , in my opinion, a crank , generally speaking. I mean, anyone who seriously advocated getting the American public high on a potent psychotomimetic drugs like LSD - 25 as being a desirable and efficient means to expand the nation's consciousness was not exactly a paragon of prudential wisdom. I do, however, fully concur with one of Leary's remarks, namely that there was only one thing in the world he truly feared, and that thing was human stupidity. Human stupidity, he said was innately very dangerous. How true !

Stupid human beings ( i.e. humans beings with relatively low IQs) are indeed very dangerous creatures; they are eminently capable of doing tremendous amounts of harm, and thus it is a very good policy for any sensible person to keep himself or herself well clear of them whenever and wherever they are propinquitous in a public place, be it a bus or a train station (e.g. on the Underground "Tube" network in London), a busy shopping mall, a well patronised football ,cricket or other sporting stadium of some kind, a hotel or night club, a cinema, a fast food restaurant ( like "McDonalds" or "Hungry Jack's") a weekend amusement park/ funfair or whatever. The problem in the past was that they did not usually bear any kind of clear and unmistakable marker/s, and in consequence idiots were, basically, very difficult to quickly identify in public places like these, just by sight.

This is why I thoroughly welcome the fact that tattoos have, over the past 20 or so years, become ever more popular among oi polloi in the West.

In short, as soon as I see any person sporting conspicuous tattoos in public, I think to myself there is a guaranteed, genuine idiot - ( i.e. someone of relatively low intelligence) who, being an idiot, is , as Leary correctly noted, an inherently dangerous individual who is definitely to be avoided. The beauty of it all is the fact that the more heavily and conspicuously tattooed a person is, there more stupid they invariably are, and more the more desirable it is to promptly remove oneself from their vicinity.

Thus, in sum, with the fact that having tattoos has become fashionable, we are blessed with a means whereby stupidity unwittingly brands itself as such; and intelligent persons are provided with a very effective warning system that enables them to take swift evasive action whenever they happen to be present at close quarters.

Discuss.

Regards

Dachshund
Were you unable to figure out who the "idiots" were before tattoos became fashionable?
"As usual... it depends."
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

No, just not as efficiently or comprehensively.

That is, you could , before the modern Western tattoo pandemic struck, still locate many of them in the West in places like prisons (incarcerated criminals are typically very stupid) or in graveyards (stupidity correlates strongly with premature death - see Darwin's theory of evolution for more details). Slums were also traditionally full of individuals with low intelligence. This list is not exhaustive, but it hopefully serves to give you a general idea.

Regards

Dachshund
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Dachshund wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:13 pm No, just not as efficiently or comprehensively.

That is, you could , before the modern Western tattoo pandemic struck, still locate many of them in the West in places like prisons (incarcerated criminals are typically very stupid) or in graveyards (stupidity correlates strongly with premature death - see Darwin's theory of evolution for more details). Slums were also traditionally full of individuals with low intelligence. This list is not exhaustive, but it hopefully serves to give you a general idea.

Regards

Dachshund
Your musings and this thread in general suffers from the stereotype error. In that stereotypes are often statistically true in the sense that for GROUPS there are differences in the incidence of one thing or another. But the lay public commonly misuse the real differences between groups to pass judgments on individuals, in which case the statistical differences wash out and are almost equally likely to result in error as correct classification.
"As usual... it depends."
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Dachshund wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 11:10 am
Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:24 am Where I come from tattoos are considered sacred and are a respected tradition deeply inbeded our culture.
In that case you should assist with the task of de-uglifying and de-stupidification of late Western societies like Australia by taking yourself and your heavily tattooed body ( which is, in itself, prima facie evidence of your low intelligence and appalling bad taste) back to the cognitively -challenged, primitive culture ( probably black or brown) from which you arrived.

BTW, it's also considered vulgar, bad mannered and in bad taste for one to boast about their own intelligence in polite, white/European Western society. (Something you probably don't understand).

In any case, finally, having achieve promotion to middle management in a large capitalist corporation does not require what I would call any kind of genuine intelligence. What is demands, rather is a narrow, myopic mind that is amenable to be reordered by an instrumental teachnical rationalism, that is the kind of uncritical mind can be quickly and effectively programmed to obey and delivery basic commands in the process of generating profit/capital. These corporations tells to attract narrow-minded, callous, greedy morons who understand the simplistic mechanics of profit-generation, but not much else. My point is that any half-wit can fill and flourish in that kind of role, most civilized persons, however, persons, I mean, who possess a more refined, sophisticated and creative set of rational faculties instinctively shun this kind of employment as a cog into the tedious, repetitive, quasi-meaningful workings of a large, soul-destroying and profoundly alienating capitalist machine.

Regards

Dachshund
You poor, poor soul, i sense the lack of comfort and nurture in your life, the absence of human companionship has caused you to become a bitter old man who can only find a sense of self worth by creating a false sense of reality to where he places himself at the top.

The problem with subjective biases and the tendency to stereotype and label others who don't fit into your own perception of the ideological persona is that the simple lack of intelligence an inability to think critically is essentially the cause for this barbaric type of thinking and due the sheer ignorance and stupidity of the sort of mind set you display (which is quite common in elderly white males who lack the confidence to engage socially with the general population) you wouldn't even have the capacity to recognise how truly pathetic and emarassing these types of traits are.

What you personally consider to be vulgar, bad mannered or bad taste is irrelevant, the distorted values you hold so dear are worth nothing more than a chewed up piece of gum on the side walk, the world would be better off without the sort of irrational and despicable views which you shamelessly display.

For centuries fashion and of more late music have become intertwined with our culture. History has shown us that with each new trend from each new generation there will be resistance and criticism from the previous. The unnecessary labelling and discrimination of individuals, groups, generations, cultures, races, religions and so fourth has among the educated and dignified sects of modern society been considered the lowest form intellectual assessment of one Hunan being to another that one can make. The fact that certain individuals would openly and publicly display this sort of cognitive dissonance displays a certain lack of discipline which in this case also coincides with a lack of intelligence.

In my opinion the self centred, racist, lonely old prehistoric monkey who started this thread suffers from some form of depression which has emerged from a lack of social interaction due to confidence issues (possibly caused from sexual abuse as a minor?)

So Dachshund, if this is some sort of therapy for you recommended by your shrink, then I suggest you change shrinks. Maybe take up shark fishing as a new form of therapeutic hobby, I hear the Japanese love using live bait 😉.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve, like John, I'd have no time for your tattooed workmate too - I don't much care for conservatives ;)

Comforting to see Breitbart John reappearing because- the reasonable and clever Metaphysical John was freaking me out. I wasn't sure if I was speaking with the same person as the one who rants about the harmless while supporting monsters,
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Dachshund wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 11:10 am

Regards

Dachshund
I'd rather hang out with someone covered in tattoos than someone who would write that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPmDiOcDIpU
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pm the Japanese love using live bait
Yes, I know they do, they are an innately cruel ,vicious and breathtakingly arrogant race of people as their barbarous conduct in the Pacific during the Second World War clearly demonstrated. They are intensely xenophobic and fanatically racist as well. The bastards were right on our doorstep in 1943, and if it wasn't for Uncle Sam we would have been f**ked. They got what they deserved at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, thank God.

As for your own primitive, spear-chucking, moko-faced, haka-dancing "culture", guess what ? it' stone - cold dead, bro'., that's what Stream-rollered flat by the objectively superior cultural values, morality, customs, institutions social manners and mores of modern white/European Western civilization. Game over.You should bear in mind at all times that you are very LUCKY to have be permitted to reside in this country; if a lot of people, (myself included), had their way you would not be.

Regards

Dachshund
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Sausage Dog -

In fairness that is a step too far. I don’t agree with a lot of what you say, but to say something os “objectively superior” requires more than opinion. Successful? Yes, certainly. Success, as you outlined in your previous retort about corporate management, shows you at least understand that passing judgement on this or that is skewed by the bais of measurement.
AKA badgerjelly
Thinking critical
Favorite Philosopher: A.C Grayling

Post by Thinking critical »

Dachshund wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 12:23 am

As for your own primitive, spear-chucking, moko-faced, haka-dancing "culture", guess what ? it' stone - cold dead, bro'., that's what Stream-rollered flat by the objectively superior cultural values, morality, customs, institutions social manners and mores of modern white/European Western civilization. Game over.You should bear in mind at all times that you are very LUCKY to have be permitted to reside in this country; if a lot of people, (myself included), had their way you would not be.

Regards

Dachshund
Yawn, your version of history is rather distorted, however I won't waste my time trying to educate you [ad hominems removed]
... it would be less embarrassing than the incoherent ramblings your spewing on this forum.

Good luck with the rest of your miserable existence that you call a life, it's fairly obvious to everyone else reading this that your nothing more than a [ad hominem removed] whose not worth wasting any more energy on.
This cocky little cognitive contortionist will straighten you right out
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dachshund wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 12:23 am
Thinking critical wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 3:56 pmthe Japanese love using live bait
Yes, I know they do, they are an innately cruel ,vicious and breathtakingly arrogant race of people as their barbarous conduct in the Pacific during the Second World War clearly demonstrated. They are intensely xenophobic and fanatically racist as well. The bastards were right on our doorstep in 1943, and if it wasn't for Uncle Sam we would have been f**ked. They got what they deserved at Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, thank God.

You would not accept Kiwis? I see your views as being very American - the divisive thinking and hysterical intensity that the Yanks imported to Oz via popular culture. I miss the laid back, laconic Aussie. Now it's Murdoch-inspired Yank-style divisive hysteria graffiiting all over the media and internet. There will come a day when human beings will be capable of saying what they think without foaming at the mouth, but it is not this day.

Re: the Japanese. I cannot image Sydneysiders living in such close quarters over such a long period with the Japanese degree of civility, organisation, safety and cleanliness. Theirs is a highly advanced culture but, I guess unsurprisingly, not all aspects of cultures mature at the same rate. Thus, as with most cultures that were already overpopulated in antiquity, their attitude towards animals has been primal. Their ancestors had to be ruthless with other species to survive and that characteristic has continued unquestioned as "tradition".

However - and this is one of the great things about globalisation - the younger generations of Japanese and Chinese are now "getting it", thus there are far more activities concerning animal and human rights. I imagine east Asian rationality tempered by the greater empathy for the weak elsewhere and see much cause for optimism in the future.

By the same token, the west needs to learn from east Asians because they have experience in dealing with ultra-dense populations. I am not sure why we in Oz are so determined to keep importing so many extra people when almost everyone is made unhappy by it, but the politicians of all sides seem utterly determined to make Australia as crowded as the northern hemisphere. I see this as more evidence that governments keep taking individuals' taxes while increasingly only really representing the interests of corporations.

We are being stitched up, and we know we are being stitched up, but we tend to blame the wrong people for our problems.

As for indigenous people, it was the west's naivete in claiming "superiority" that contributed to our current sustainability problems. Humanity has prospered from cultural transmission, the handing down of hard-won knowledge from generation to generation. There was thousands of years of distilled knowledge about the human relationship with the natural environment in those indigenous cultures, but their overthrow by the west broke that chain of learning.

Had the invaders understood that they could learn much from the "savages" about nature and the principles of sustainable living, then the world would be a much kinder and safer place today. Alas, that chain of knowledge was broken long enough for many atrocities and much damage to occur. Such is life.

Again, population was a key factor. Europeans were honed and hardened by their dense populations in much the same way as east Asian people have been. This characteristic is reflected in people's microbiomes, and most usually it was the battle-hardened microbes of invaders from dense populations that killed off indigenous people, often more so than the invaders' ruthlessness.

The overthrow of indigenous (and other) cultures by aggressors had bugger all to do with the intrinsic qualities of the individuals involved, rather the relative states of societies at the time of meeting - which basically how the interaction of land and accumulated culture play out.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:18 pm I miss the laid back, laconic Aussie
Yes, I miss him too Greta. Do you remember how...

On Sunday arvo he'd still and talk, over a dozen cold "West End",

Of what was gained and what was lost, and would never come again;

He'd say, "Money ya know, it comes and goes on booze an' rent an' fags,

You can make a fortune on an overtime and lose it all on the nags!

But years of toil with a bunch of mates, you know it leaves you satisfied,

Though we never moved a mountain , we sure gave it a try".

Pick the wheat from the chaff, and the steel from the scrurf, and the honest man from a liar,

If wisdom came buy other names, old Jack was earth and fire

Ah yes, Greta, the good - old, true - blue, traditional Aussie. Tough, tanned and easy-going; that blunt bloke of few words, staunchly defending the great Australian egalitarian ethic of the "fair go". There was the admirable battler, droving his stock across the dusty outback beneath a blistering sun; the fearless, young ANZAC, dying a hero's death for his King and Country on the beach at Gallipoli; the irrepressible, optimistic larrikin with a heart of gold playing two-up with his mates, betting on the ponies and barracking for the "Crows" at the football on Sunday. It was all "Click go the shears, boys", stout-hearts one and all in elastic-sided work boots and Jackie Howe singlets Their brows were "wet with honest sweat", and towering above them stood the Christ-like legend of a martyred Ned Kelly muttering "Such is life" as the pommy bastards finally hanged him high in Melbourne Goal.

Personally, I never bought into any of this kind of sentimental, romantic, ******** that was peddled about the great Australian character in the past, Greta. I absolutely loathed the whole charade. Most of it was a wafer-thin, tissue of lies and exaggeration; hollow mythology that sought in vain to disguise the ugly fact that: a mindless conformity to oikish mores; a diligently - enforced de rigueur anti-intellectualism; frank vulgarity, appalling bad taste and gross, beer-swilling ignorance were, in fact, the true hallmarks of our traditional culture.

You will recall how, beginning in the early 1960s, one of this culture's foremost discontents, one Barry Humphreys, set about the task of exposing the reality of its embarrassing ugliness with the razor-sharp scalpel of his brilliant satirical wit. For over three decades, Humphrey's held a mirror to the Australian public's face, in which they saw reflected the undeniable truth of their nation's own ridiculous vulgarity and ignorance; so comprehensive and incisive was Humphrey's critique they could only laugh and learn.

Thank God for Humphreys !

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream