In Praise of Tattoos

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Re: In Praise of Tattoos

Post by Sy Borg »

I don't mean soporific, just laid back.

The contrast made is with the hysterical over-reactive, chest-beating neurosis of Americans, traits we have inherited, largely via Murdoch's media. This is your issue too, John - you freak out at the drop of a hat. Look at your funny rant above - just because I noticed the tendency for Australians today to foolishly babble like the Yanks. Like them, you don't choose your battles but simply go out there swinging for any touchstone neocon/evangelist issue.

I, for one, value calmness and don't care a jot for the blabbering, ranting histrionics over trivia Australia today, but that's globalisation. We are hardly the only culture to be watered down - that's everywhere. Is it really necessary to behave like thwarted spoiled children at the first sign of aggravation?

Is it okay to not much keen on something or someone without damning them to hell - or is this now considered to be a matter of hypocrisy?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Don't confuse online personae with real life. E-bravado isn't known for in person bravery. There is a reason that e-bullies populate middle school study hall during the day and their parent's homes at night.

Are folks you actually meet in person all that different than before?
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: June 27th, 2018, 1:21 amAre folks you actually meet in person all that different than before?
Certainly they seem to be older :lol:
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Greta wrote: June 27th, 2018, 1:35 am
LuckyR wrote: June 27th, 2018, 1:21 amAre folks you actually meet in person all that different than before?
Certainly they seem to be older :lol:
Funny, I think people stay the same and I'm the one getting older.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:18 pm I see your views as being very American - the divisive thinking and hysterical intensity that the Yanks imported to Oz via popular culture. I miss the laid back, laconic Aussie. Now it's Murdoch-inspired Yank-style divisive hysteria graffiiting all over the media and internet.
Greta you tend to conflate late Western ( and in particular, American) neoliberal - ( i.e. market fundamentalist ) - ideology with traditional (social) Conservatism. I am a political Conservative in the mould of Edmund Burke; Burke would have no respect for the ruthless power-lust, the psychopathic greed and the petty, "grasping" values of a modern-day neoliberal corporate capitalist like Rupert Murdoch and nor do I. Murdoch and his ilk are very destructive, very ugly human beings. They are, in short, men of hate - a pox on the face of Western civilization. The very fact that they exist bears clear witness to the terrible truth that our cherished white/European Western culture - the greatest and most noble culture that humanity has ever produced - is currently in a state of desperate crisis.

What must we do to save it ?

What we must do is return to the great traditions of our past; we must now return to find strength in the two primal roots of of our culture which were: (1) the wisdom of classical GreeK philosophy ( in particular, the works of Plato and Aristotle) and (2) faith in the revealed, supernatural knowledge of sacred Judeo-Christian scripture. We must now return, as that brilliant Conservative teacher, Leo Strauss, exhorted us, (and Burke himself would agree), to these two great foundations of Western civilization: Athens and Jerusalem.

Regards

Dachshund
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Dachshund wrote: June 29th, 2018, 12:31 am
Greta wrote: June 23rd, 2018, 7:18 pm I see your views as being very American - the divisive thinking and hysterical intensity that the Yanks imported to Oz via popular culture. I miss the laid back, laconic Aussie. Now it's Murdoch-inspired Yank-style divisive hysteria graffiiting all over the media and internet.
Greta you tend to conflate late Western ( and in particular, American) neoliberal - ( i.e. market fundamentalist ) - ideology with traditional (social) Conservatism. I am a political Conservative in the mould of Edmund Burke; Burke would have no respect for the ruthless power-lust, the psychopathic greed and the petty, "grasping" values of a modern-day neoliberal corporate capitalist like Rupert Murdoch and nor do I. Murdoch and his ilk are very destructive, very ugly human beings. They are, in short, men of hate - a pox on the face of Western civilization. The very fact that they exist bears clear witness to the terrible truth that our cherished white/European Western culture - the greatest and most noble culture that humanity has ever produced - is currently in a state of desperate crisis.

What must we do to save it ?

What we must do is return to the great traditions of our past; we must now return to find strength in the two primal roots of of our culture which were: (1) the wisdom of classical GreeK philosophy ( in particular, the works of Plato and Aristotle) and (2) faith in the revealed, supernatural knowledge of sacred Judeo-Christian scripture. We must now return, as that brilliant Conservative teacher, Leo Strauss, exhorted us, (and Burke himself would agree), to these two great foundations of Western civilization: Athens and Jerusalem.
Interesting. So fans of Breitbart aren't necessarily fans of Fox. I assumed they went together. I agree with you about RM - his continual lowering of standards, monopolising and personal fossil fuel interests have inflicted a lot of entropy on society, to his family's profit.

The "revealed supernatural knowledge" of the Arabs was highly questionable and far from something any sensible modern society would base its ideas on. If a person can connect with a personal God, then that's one thing, but to base laws on ancient superstitions is simply self destructive.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Greta wrote:Interesting. So fans of Breitbart aren't necessarily fans of Fox.
Are you saying that one of those two [dis]information portals is conservative and the other is neo-liberal/libertarian? If so, which is which?

In the US, the coalition in the GOP between the libertarian and conservative instincts, which don't always sit comfortably with each other, has been explicitly acknowledged by people like Steve Bannon. I think it's an interesting subject. I tried to bring it up at a meeting of the philosophy discussion group in the pub a while ago but most of the group didn't accept the idea that there could be any schism between those two political/philosophical/ethical positions. And discussions in pubs tend (in my experience) to have a very different character to discussions here. Not better or worse. Just different.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Hey Dachund, I only have one tattoo, which is a graphic solution of the Riemann hypothesis, which proves I'm stupid, right?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Felix wrote: June 29th, 2018, 5:36 am Hey Dachund, I only have one tattoo, which is a graphic solution of the Riemann hypothesis, which proves I'm stupid, right?
A bit of an extreme course of action to cheat in an exam though ... :wink:
AKA badgerjelly
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Felix wrote:Hey Dachund, I only have one tattoo, which is a graphic solution of the Riemann hypothesis, which proves I'm stupid, right?
Yes, that's right. It was a very foolish thing to do. It brands you as a pretentious, young nit-wit.

Regards

Dachsund
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Felix wrote: June 29th, 2018, 5:36 am Hey Dachund, I only have one tattoo, which is a graphic solution of the Riemann hypothesis, which proves I'm stupid, right?
Hhmmm... even a simpleton knows that even the most brilliant can and routinely do things that are 1) not in their best interest, 2) things that they later regret and 3) are out and out mistakes. Thus worst case scenario, even if getting a tat was a huge error (which in today's fashion climate is the opposite of likely), drawing an overarching conclusion from a single data point is something that no one would do in real life. No, it typically only exists nowadays online as fakey bravado for those who reduce complex issues to bumper sticker descriptions/solutions. Ho hum, nothing to see here...
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Steve3007 wrote: June 29th, 2018, 5:02 am
Greta wrote:Interesting. So fans of Breitbart aren't necessarily fans of Fox.
Are you saying that one of those two [dis]information portals is conservative and the other is neo-liberal/libertarian? If so, which is which?
Dunno. I thought they were two peas in a pod. Still, there must be a reason why some consume one or the other outlet's frothing nonsense. I suppose one difference is that Fox poses as a mainstream outlet while Breitbart has an unashamed racist agenda, although they ultimately seem to say the same things.
Steve3007 wrote:In the US, the coalition in the GOP between the libertarian and conservative instincts, which don't always sit comfortably with each other, has been explicitly acknowledged by people like Steve Bannon. I think it's an interesting subject. I tried to bring it up at a meeting of the philosophy discussion group in the pub a while ago but most of the group didn't accept the idea that there could be any schism between those two political/philosophical/ethical positions. And discussions in pubs tend (in my experience) to have a very different character to discussions here. Not better or worse. Just different.
That is a different schism - conservatives are opposite to libertarians. Don't forget that common Latin derivation lib- from "liber", meaning "free" (or book ... free your mind, Neo, read books!). So liberals and libertarians both share the general view that individuals should be free rather than controlled by the state. Thus, each would have no judgement of tattoos. However, the Republicans - the GOP - are strong today purely through support of the evangelical Christian movement in the US, and they are of course famous for wanting to micro-manage people's personal lives.

The evangelicals want life in prison for first degree murder for women who have abortions; they want each dying person to suffer enough that they reach out for God (or anything/anyone) in desperation; they want a ban on non-Christian immigration and a closing of mosques; they want teens to be completely controlled to avoid even a hint of sex, drugs and naughty music (beware the tritone!); they want gays sent to conversion therapy or imprisoned; they want women's rights rolled back and for more harsh penalties and policing for drugs and crime.

In other words, they want to return to the mores before the 1960s somewhat woke up half the world's population. That is, indeed, a form of conservatism - to conserve old values. However, what of those seeking to conserve the old, now "traditional" in some circles, values of the 1960s? They too would, strictly speaking, be holding a classic conservative stance - let's not lose this [insert valued concept] to modernity!

So the idea of conservative really only refers to the wish to conserve a culture of a particular time. A true conservative, on the other hand, would be one wanting to conserve more of nature - but they are today considered to be wild and crazy radicals.

Libertarians and liberals are losing badly at the moment, while neoconservatism prospers, as democracy is gradually being wound back around the world, as skewed media ownership and social media manipulation increasingly convinces people that democracy is an inefficient, dirty business. So people lean towards the idea of a strong leader (generally male, physically large with deep voice) with a clear vision of what the country needs, and for that strongman to act decisively and without concern or doubt.
With each passing year my awe for Orwell's and Huxley's genius grows a little more.
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

Greta wrote: June 29th, 2018, 7:07 pm So liberals and libertarians both share the general view that individuals should be free rather than controlled by the state.
I'm going tell you the truth of the matter, Greta. You will not like it, you will not like it at all but that's "tough-titty" as far as I am concerned; its high time someone knocked some sense into your thick skull.

The truth is that the great, ancient philosophers of classical Greek antiquity, Plato and Aristotle, for example, were absolutely correct in denying that there is any kind of natural right to liberty. There is no such right, there never been- there never will be. The fact is that human beings are born neither free nor equal. The natural human condition is not one of freedom, but of subordination ( and I am more than happy to show you how you can confirm this for yourself if you are interested, Greta, though I would have to do so in a separate post). The ancients were also correct when they argued that there is only one natural right - the right of the superior to rule over the inferior - the master over the slave, the husband over the wife and the wise few over the vulgar many. As to the pursuit of happiness, what indeed could "oi polloi" do with happiness except drink, gamble and fornicate ?!

The 1960s was hailed as the decade that ushered in the liberal revolution and its achievements - the age of civil rights for black Americans, and greater freedom and equality for women and so forth. But it seems in retrospect that the new found freedoms of the 1960s were in fact the fruits of enlightened progress, but rather, the roots of profound evil. This is because freedom is a precious treasure that is rapidly lost if not used wisely. And when the pearls of freedom are cast - as they were in the 1960s - before the the great unwashed swinish mob, they are swiftly trampled under hoof and what was the precious quality of liberty is crushed and degenerates into vulgar licentiousness, and such licentiousness is the eternal harbinger of rapid social decay - divorce, family breakdown, a crisis of domestic violence, widespread antisocial delinquency, crime, disrespect for the rule of law, rampant drug abuse and a soaring prevalence mental illness in chronic anxiety and adjustment disorders, severe clinical depression, etc., the legitimisation of psychiatric paraphilias like homosexuality, a bloated welfare State bureaucracy, transgenderism and other destructive sexual perversions, the rise of an industrial - scale abortion industry, the triumph of moral relativism, positivism and an alienating worldview of disvalued scientism, the pervasive "death- stench" of nihilism and an epidemic of youth and adult suicide, the insane march of radical egalitarian gender feminism that continues to unravel and corrupt the core fabric of decent, civilised society, the disastrous failure of multiculturalism and the swamping of traditional white/European Western societies with mass immigration from 3rd world and non-christian cultures, the indolence and mindless sensual hedonism breed by the creature comforts of mass consumerism and so on and on and on...

Such is the tragic, bitter harvest of modern liberalism. It is any wonder the late West is crying out today out for strong, disciplined leadership, for moral clarity and a swift return to traditional Conservative values and mores ??!!

Regards

Dachshund
Dachshund

Post by Dachshund »

NB: paragraph 3 above should read: ... "were NOT the fruits of enlightened progress"...
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

Dachshund wrote: June 30th, 2018, 4:52 am
Greta wrote: June 29th, 2018, 7:07 pm So liberals and libertarians both share the general view that individuals should be free rather than controlled by the state.
I'm going tell you the truth of the matter, Greta. You will not like it, you will not like it at all but that's "tough-titty" as far as I am concerned; its high time someone knocked some sense into your thick skull.

The truth is that the great, ancient philosophers of classical Greek antiquity, Plato and Aristotle, for example, were absolutely correct in denying that there is any kind of natural right to liberty. There is no such right, there never been- there never will be.
This is not remotely relevant.
Rights are established by human society.
The fact is that human beings are born neither free nor equal.
Wrong. Society provides that a child may be born with equality under the law. This can be transgressed by arseholes, but that does not change the fact of the legality of morally defined laws.
The natural human condition is not one of freedom, but of subordination ( and I am more than happy to show you how you can confirm this for yourself if you are interested, Greta, though I would have to do so in a separate post).
If natural rights do not exist, then neither can 'natural' subordination.
The ancients were also correct when they argued that there is only one natural right - the right of the superior to rule over the inferior - the master over the slave, the husband over the wife and the wise few over the vulgar many.
You have just shot yourself in the foot. Either there are natural rights or there are none. You don't get to pick and choose.
Fact is that you are a powerless ranting fool who has no power over anyone , not even yourself. You just sit there in front of your computer wanking over your Hitler poster and think you are superior.

As to the pursuit of happiness, what indeed could "oi polloi" do with happiness except drink, gamble and fornicate ?!
I doubt you are capable of even that.

The 1960s was hailed as the decade that ushered in the liberal revolution and its achievements - the age of civil rights for black Americans, and greater freedom and equality for women and so forth. But it seems in retrospect that the new found freedoms of the 1960s were in fact the fruits of enlightened progress, but rather, the roots of profound evil. This is because freedom is a precious treasure that is rapidly lost if not used wisely. And when the pearls of freedom are cast - as they were in the 1960s - before the the great unwashed swinish mob, they are swiftly trampled under hoof and what was the precious quality of liberty is crushed and degenerates into vulgar licentiousness, and such licentiousness is the eternal harbinger of rapid social decay - divorce, family breakdown, a crisis of domestic violence, widespread antisocial delinquency, crime, disrespect for the rule of law, rampant drug abuse and a soaring prevalence mental illness in chronic anxiety and adjustment disorders, severe clinical depression, etc., the legitimisation of psychiatric paraphilias like homosexuality, a bloated welfare State bureaucracy, transgenderism and other destructive sexual perversions, the rise of an industrial - scale abortion industry, the triumph of moral relativism, positivism and an alienating worldview of disvalued scientism, the pervasive "death- stench" of nihilism and an epidemic of youth and adult suicide, the insane march of radical egalitarian gender feminism that continues to unravel and corrupt the core fabric of decent, civilised society, the disastrous failure of multiculturalism and the swamping of traditional white/European Western societies with mass immigration from 3rd world and non-christian cultures, the indolence and mindless sensual hedonism breed by the creature comforts of mass consumerism and so on and on and on...
More empty ranting.
If you don't like it, tough ****.
No one os interested in your fascist state. You'll just have to continue to oppress your own mind.

Such is the tragic, bitter harvest of modern liberalism. It is any wonder the late West is crying out today out for strong, disciplined leadership, for moral clarity and a swift return to traditional Conservative values and mores ??!!
Seig hail mein fuher!

Regards

Dachshund
Your "bitter harvest"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WCNyV9zcd8

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream