Why is there anything at all and rather not nothing

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eddie Larry
New Trial Member

Re: Why is there anything at all and rather not nothing

Post by Eddie Larry »

There is something, rather than nothing because there is the world of things we experience. We can doubt this or that but to doubt everything...?

Touch your fingers together, then put your hands on your phone or computer, put a finger on each side of what you are touching. Try to press your fingers towards each other. Can your fingers touch (now don’t break anything!). If your fingers don’t touch, that’s real.
Eddie Larry
New Trial Member

Post by Eddie Larry »

“My point is that different ways of reference-fixing don't constitute different senses of "reference". Reference is reference, no matter whether the referents are abstract objects or concrete ones.”

Well said.
JamesOfSeattle
Premium Member

Post by JamesOfSeattle »

Consul wrote: September 10th, 2018, 4:54 pmAs far as reference to abstracta is concerned, it cannot be fixed "via perception" but only "via description", since abstract objects are imperceptible by definition. For example, the reference of "7" can be descriptively fixed by saying "7 is the unique natural number between 6 and 8", but it certainly cannot be fixed perceptually by saying "Look, the thing you see here is the number 7!". For there cannot be any perceptual or causal relations between mathematicians and abstract mathematical objects such as numbers.
But what about “Look, there are a number of things there. In fact there are 7 things” ? In practice, this might not work for 7, but it certainly works for 2 or 3.

Consul

Post by Consul »

JamesOfSeattle wrote: September 11th, 2018, 12:47 amBut what about “Look, there are a number of things there. In fact there are 7 things” ? In practice, this might not work for 7, but it certainly works for 2 or 3.
What's the referring expression in your example? If it's "the two/three/seven things here", the reference of this noun phrase can certainly be fixed ostensively via perception: "Look at these things here, they are what 'the two/three/seven things here' refers to!"
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Consul

Post by Consul »

Eddie Larry wrote: September 10th, 2018, 9:11 pm “My point is that different ways of reference-fixing don't constitute different senses of "reference". Reference is reference, no matter whether the referents are abstract objects or concrete ones.” [Consul]
Well said.
Also:

"I shall find no use for the narrow sense which some philosophers have given to 'existence', as against 'being'; viz., concreteness in space-time. If any such special connotation threatens in the present pages, imagine 'exists' replaced by 'is'. When the Parthenon and the number 7 are said to be, no distinction in the sense of 'be' need be intended. The Parthenon is indeed a placed and dated object in space-time while the number 7 (if such there be) is another sort of thing; but this a difference between the objects concerned and not between senses of 'be'."

(Quine, W. V. Methods of Logic. 4th ed. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1982. p. 263)
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

In response to the question of why is there something rather than nothing master of the witty philosophical one liners Sidney Morgenbesser answered:
If there were nothing you’d still be complaining!
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

:)

The key point here, Fooloso, where is the scientific evidence proving that nothing exists?
Fooloso4

Post by Fooloso4 »

I’m still looking for it but there are a lot of places to look and since it’s always in the last place you look, it will take me a long time to look everywhere until I get to the last place.
Hereandnow
Favorite Philosopher: the moon and the stars

Post by Hereandnow »

Ha! It is right before your eyes as you look for your keys to no avail. That state of looking is inherently a negation of all that is not keys. Nothingness lies in the apophatic search for what is.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

but this a difference between the objects concerned and not between senses of 'be'.
Thereby dismissing the issue of senses of "be". All are equal on this ground. 'Be' becomes either a grammatical function. He is right, that is, until you read Jaspers.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Then again, the vast cosmic poodlesaurus too cannot be seen, and looking for it only negates the possibility.

HAN, I tend to distrust stitch-ups such as these. It reminds of the Church's decree against sceptical thought, where doubts only meant that one was not a good Christian. In the same way, there is an assumption that something is real but it can't be perceived.

It seems you are speaking of nothing as a sensation or idea rather than an absolute aspect of reality.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

It just plays on the failure of the perceiving person to perceive herself. Of course, one could look at the body, the neuronal behavior under a microscope, and so on, but in all these the perceiver is the "invisible presence" behind the perception and every time you try to turn your gaze upon it, you take "it" with you in the turning. There are those who think there is nothing there doing the perceiving, just perception itself exhausts analysis of what is there; others think there is "something" but it is impossible to observe for it is part of the observation itself. In any case, it presents itself as nothing in the empirical investigation.
If the poodlesaurus perceives, there is "nothing" on the subjective end to be acknowledged that registers as a subject.

And on the matter of "is" is it really that all there is to this term is grammar?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

HAN, when I have looked within I don't get nothing. The bottom line is a set of tendencies. Needs.

What does it mean to be? It means to be like something.

Greta tends to be like X - she has x qualities. HAN tends to be like Y - he has y qualities. Otherwise I see no difference between HAN and Greta - they are just conditioned life forms, "programmed" to operate in certain ways, with various potentials and limitations. ("Programmed" means we feel good if we do A and bad if we do B, and this can be overcome by will - noting that one exerts will because it ultimately feels good to them, if not physically, emotionally).

The point is, if our genetics and life circumstances are swapped, then we are entirely swapped - there is no remnant "ghost in the machine", the closest being our fundamental forms - the differences between us if we'd been raised in the same way without the influence of human culture.

So, when I look within, past my individual tendencies, I mostly see a reflection of my culture, and of humanity, of mammalia and chordata, of life, of Earth, maybe even of the Milky Way! (Might denizens of one galaxy differ fundamentally from those of others?).

So when I look within there's oodles of something and, um, no nothing at all :)

Seriously, I suspect that any perception of "nothing" or "nothingness" is going to be a perspective effect, probably due to relativities, and possibly due to brain and nerve responses and limitations. People laugh at John Hagelin because he's such a funny hippie and says so many unsubstantiated things, but I must admit to being a fan of his Universal Field hypothesis, which is a basically a hybrid of the quantum foam, string theory and God.

I have no idea if he's right or not, but I find the idea enjoyable and it has its own logic, at least unless LHC tests disprove string theory, in which case it's game over for Hagelin's Big Idea (string theory is already on shaky ground ATM, possibly being combined with loop quantum gravity, which seems at least as arcane).

Then there's the possibility that the reason why we can't devise a theory of everything is that there is none possible - that reality is in fact dual - two separate but entwined domains that operate by different rules. That opens up some wonderful quantum woo possibilities like Hagelin's (although bad for those advocating nothingness). I adore woo, and while I tend to be cynical towards it, I'm aware that a one million to one chance is not zero - the one is possible.
Hereandnow

Post by Hereandnow »

Greta:
Hmmm, not sure how qualities experience something. I see a flower, I am also tall, vision endowed, I mean, certainly a visual event takes place and there are many ways describe it, as in the distance to the flower, the retinal reception of light and its electromagnetic properties, cerebral events, and so on. But to be an agency that is here,experiencing the qualities.....

When a person is feeling good, as you note, the programming is in place to make all the necessary associations, but at the moment of feeling good, you stop and acknowldge the qualities that lay before you, the peace or the pleasure or the mood. At that time, it is clear that you are not any of these, because you are beholding them as an object, but then, you are curious, but the moment you observe this curiosity, it is not you. i am "here" and the my mood is angry, say, and I can acknowledge the distance between the observing I and the anger when I say, "there it is." My reason takes hold of the moment as it casts it in propositional form, an assertion, "there is anger" but when I try to capture the sentential grammar, I find that I am using grammar to do so and so it is with all things that would make a claim to being me: I turn to each one, and I am apart from it, but the I that is apart is never observed. I know what reason is, and can see its properties, its structure, but only through the eyes of reason itself. So it is with nothingness: always there, but turn your gaze toward it and it vanishes. An epistemological nothingness.

Now. you can SAY that all this can be placed within a conception of experience that looks to a, say, wandering "self" defined as a brain manifestation which, when something is brought before it as an object, a mood or experience, as applies here, simply transpositions itself to another quadrant of brain activity, and I have no doubt that something like this happens, but I cannot see how we can ever get beyond the emerging self, in its new neuronal position, if you follow, as being acknowledged by the positioned consciousness itself. You see? Brains are brains because we perceive them this way, not because we are seeing them AS they really are. As they really are, they are infinite and ineffable, because they would be free of the finitude placed upon then by a configuring consciousness.

I have stepped ..a bit too far? it is just that "I" is so elusive upon examination.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

The best way to apprehend this "I" is to hark back to its dawn. Never mind the limits of memory. Your earliest memories can act as a reference point for any ensuing assumptions. There must be assumptions made when considering the nature of consciousness if we are to define it, which requires examining its limits and grey areas such as proto-consciousness and reflexes.

Oh hell, the dog's at me for a walk. Just quickly, consider the "I" of the dog, trying to use her charms to induce me to take her out where she can access Pee-mails and "posts" made by her canine peers on Tinkler and Pisstagram. There's a lot going on. Much more so than, say, the "I" of newborn infants. Human nowborns are are much like any other newborn placental mammal.

Is there an "I" at that point - maybe a formative a fuzzy sense of self? At what point in gestation would it have emerged? With the nervous system and the ability to feel? I will need to leave you with these questions until the dog's had her outing :)

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream