WHAT IS THE FUNDAMENTAL REALITY OF HUMAN LIFE ?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Luxin
New Trial Member

Re: WHAT IS THE FUNDAMENTAL REALITY OF HUMAN LIFE ?

Post by Luxin » August 30th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Dear philosopher Dachshund,
Dachshund wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 7:43 am
Happiness is a great side effect, but that's all. When it comes we should be grateful; but the fact is that happiness only ever comes fleetingly and unpredictably. It's not something to aim for, because it is not an aim, it's not a goal. Happiness is basically like a box of chocolates - it's just not going to do the job. But really this is all something that would require a lengthy discussion in itself just for me to begin doing the issue ( of happiness as a false goal) some small justice and I think this post is already quite long enough, so I will have to leave it for another day.
Just wanted to say that I agree with you that searching for happiness is a false goal, but it can be a fundamental reality, starting from the fundamental reality of suffering. I also agree with you that the search for meaning is the first priority for a philosopher (upon reflection though, the term isn't really appropriate). One mustn't really search for or actively pursue anything, because, like the butterfly we try to catch and fail to, the harder we try the more we fail. Nature just grants us what we need when we are ready for it, and greater happiness is a possible reward if we have that moral courage you speak of.

Lao Tzu said, 'Let life ripen and then fall; will is not the way at all'. This thought can be applied to 'the search for meaning'. We may miss the meaning if we search too hard and burn out. What is called a search, to me is just relaxed reflection upon anything, whatever comes to mind. Whatever Nature 'thinks' we are ready for comes to us, and that leads to another thought, etc. There is no actual search in the expansion of concept. Searching for anything in the vast realm of thought is too deliberate; it even sounds pretentious. Searching for our socks, fine, that works. "Reflecting upon Life" (and all its weird and wonderful stuff) is my offering as a substitute for 'the search for meaning'. Thank you for your thoughts!

Yours, Luxin

Freudian Monkey

Post by Freudian Monkey » September 6th, 2018, 12:15 pm

I would like to offer a slightly different, perhaps a more practical angle to the question at hand.

We human beings are built to influence our internal and external realities. Everything we do - formulating thoughts, moving our bodies, interacting with other living beings - is a more or less conscious attempt to cause change in our internal or external reality. Life itself is in a way in it's entirety a collection of living organisms attempting to cause beneficial/desirable changes to their internal/external realities.

Even if we completely disregard physical reality, we still have this underlying tendency to seek change. Our being cannot stay idle - it has to interact with itself as well as it's external reality (if there's such a thing). Whether life is just an illusion of something occurring, we still observe a beginning and an end. There has to be a reason for us observing time and the changes it brings. We are meant to be the witnesses of this change. Are we meant to also participate in this process intentionally? If there's such a thing as time, we undoubtedly are perceiving it, and thus we are interacting with the changing process whether we like it or not.

For as long as we live, we have means to influence our internal and external realities. When we draw our last breath, our body can no longer cause intentional change. Whether or not life continues after death, it seems like this perceived period of living seems to center around us interacting with our surroundings.

So for me, the fundamental nature of human life is interaction with our internal and external realities and the changes we witness in both of them.

Whether or not all of this has a deeper meaning, I do not know.

Luxin
New Trial Member

Post by Luxin » September 6th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Dear philosophers Freudian Monkey et al,
Freudian Monkey wrote:
September 6th, 2018, 12:15 pm
So for me, the fundamental nature of human life is interaction with our internal and external realities and the changes we witness in both of them.
Logical comments. I'm reminded of Pythagoras's "Above all things, know thyself" which is also quoted as "...love thyself". Witnessing our internal realities and knowing what they signify or imply is the real challenge; our external realities or personal environment is determined by them (i.e. our mind or thoughts, etc.).

Present awareness

Post by Present awareness » September 6th, 2018, 11:32 pm

Breathing is the fundamental reality of human life. We breath in, we breath out. We take that which is outside of our body and absorb it into the system, expelling waste with the out breath. Consciousness is a byproduct of what we breath in and our thoughts rely on a steady supply of oxygen.

Suffering is a state of mind. Pleasure and pain, happiness and sorrow are what they are, suffering is optional.
Even though you can see me, I might not be here.