Why Existence is necessarily omnipotent and omniscient

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
A_Seagull
Favorite Philosopher: Heraclitus

Re: Why Existence is necessarily omnipotent and omniscient

Post by A_Seagull »

philosopher19 wrote: October 1st, 2018, 2:20 pm
A_Seagull wrote: September 30th, 2018, 5:49 am

Some paradoxes are trivial to understand; all they require is a different perspective.
We never understand paradoxes.
Speak for yourself!
The Pattern Paradigm - yer can't beat it!
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Phil -

There is a vagueness of language here which I understand as an ongoing problem, and function of, philosophy. When you say “existence” I am now thinking you mean “universe”. Is that a fair point? If not explain how it isn’t please.

I mentioned Kant because in part it seems like you’re proposing that “positive noumenon” is a thing - which is wrong.

I mentioned Wittgenstein not because he had anything directly to say about this topic but because soem of your phraseology reminded me of his work and what he says about linguistics.

At the heart it is your idea of “existence” I am struggling with. I only know my existence from my perspective. I guess I am asking how you deal with argumentation of solipsism? So how do you come by the conclusion that “We’re not existence. We’re in it,” and how does this help us outline what “existence” is in he way you’re using the term?

Ps. It looks to me like you’re talking about the physical universe as “existence”. If not explain further please. It’s clear to you but not to me.
AKA badgerjelly
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 1st, 2018, 2:40 pm
philosopher19 wrote: October 1st, 2018, 2:13 pm Kant's view on rationalism was wrong. He had an irrational understanding of time and infinity.
Easy to say. Not so easy to show.
I doubt you understand Kant enough to make that assertion.
He didn't view time as a dimension. Understandably, he couldn't accept Existence as being finite in terms of time, but he also couldn't accept it as being infinite in terms of time. So he was stuck between two paradoxes. He gave up. Had he viewed time as a dimension, he would not have had this issue.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

A_Seagull wrote: October 1st, 2018, 11:56 pm
philosopher19 wrote: October 1st, 2018, 2:20 pm

We never understand paradoxes.
Speak for yourself!
Taking things out of context. I've seen it done before. It hints at insincerity, or just a poor understanding, both of which are bad.
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 3:05 am There is a vagueness of language here which I understand as an ongoing problem, and function of, philosophy. When you say “existence” I am now thinking you mean “universe”. Is that a fair point? If not explain how it isn’t please
The universe is finite. So it can't be Existence because Existence is necessarily infinite. The universe is just a part of Existence. It is not Existence.
I mentioned Kant because in part it seems like you’re proposing that “positive noumenon” is a thing - which is wrong.
What lead you to that belief?
At the heart it is your idea of “existence” I am struggling with. I only know my existence from my perspective. I guess I am asking how you deal with argumentation of solipsism? So how do you come by the conclusion that “We’re not existence. We’re in it,” and how does this help us outline what “existence” is in he way you’re using the term?
Solipsism is paradoxical because our experiences also include the use of reason and we find reason dictating things clearly and authoritatively. For example it dictates: We cannot doubt reason using reason (paradoxical), It dictates, you cannot have something come from nothing (paradoxical). Because you cannot have something come from nothing, we cannot be Existence. We clearly have a start point, whereas Existence must necessarily be without one. A finite Existence would amount to the paradox of something coming from nothing. We cannot have this if we are to be rational.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Phil -

I don’t know what you mean by “existence” then. I’m not being facetious, I a genuinely having a problem with understanding what you mean by “existence”. I can understand that you may think of our universe as being one of many, either way I still tend to use the term “universe” to mean all that is known and possible to know in some respect - directly or otherwise.

I meentioned “positive noumenon” because it appears to me that you’re referring to something that isn’t a rational claim - that is claiming to know something about the nature of something we cannot know - it is only ever a “negative noumenal” idea, never “existent”.

Many paradoxes, if not all, are usually tricks of language, and/or merely a the result of the lack of a more objective concept that people can grasp onto.

To quote Wittgenstein (not to accuse you of doing this only to highlight this point and display a nice little quote):
“Word-language allows of nonsensical combinations of words, but the language of imagining does not allow us to imagine anything nonsensical.”

- From Philosophical Investigations p.512 (Wiley-Blackwell)
Anyway, I am stuck between what you mean by “existence” on two fronts. One is the view of some objective absolute, and the other the more extremist subjective relativism (something akin to solipsism), although it appears you’re looking at this in a way that seems incompatible with either of these extreme views - a good sign in my book :)
AKA badgerjelly
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

philosopher19 wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:07 am
A_Seagull wrote: October 1st, 2018, 11:56 pm

Speak for yourself!
Taking things out of context. I've seen it done before. It hints at insincerity, or just a poor understanding, both of which are bad.
Your response is nonsense.

The OP is nonsense.

End of story.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

philosopher19 wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:05 am
ThomasHobbes wrote: October 1st, 2018, 2:40 pm

Easy to say. Not so easy to show.
I doubt you understand Kant enough to make that assertion.
He didn't view time as a dimension. Understandably, he couldn't accept Existence as being finite in terms of time, but he also couldn't accept it as being infinite in terms of time. So he was stuck between two paradoxes. He gave up. Had he viewed time as a dimension, he would not have had this issue.
Wrong.
He correctly identified the eternal antinomies, which you would do well to recognise. Time ans space are un-confirmable assumptions or intuitions.
The point is that you have no grounds to refute that, and his argument as to that fact is water tight.
ThomasHobbes

Post by ThomasHobbes »

A_Seagull wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 3:35 pm
philosopher19 wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 9:07 am

The OP is nonsense.

End of story.
YES!
For once we can be in complete agreement.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

ThomasHobbes wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 5:03 pm
A_Seagull wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 3:35 pm

The OP is nonsense.

End of story.
YES!
For once we can be in complete agreement.
Lol
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 2nd, 2018, 10:46 amMany paradoxes, if not all, are usually tricks of language, and/or merely a the result of the lack of a more objective concept that people can grasp onto.

To quote Wittgenstein (not to accuse you of doing this only to highlight this point and display a nice little quote):
Our incorrect use of language can amount to paradoxes. It's reason telling us we've gone wrong somewhere.
I don’t know what you mean by “existence” then. I’m not being facetious, I a genuinely having a problem with understanding what you mean by “existence”.
I mean all that exists. Reason makes a clear distinction between things that are a part of Existence and Existence itself. Our universe is finite, so it can't be Existence, it has to be a part of Existence.
Anyway, I am stuck between what you mean by “existence” on two fronts. One is the view of some objective absolute, and the other the more extremist subjective relativism (something akin to solipsism), although it appears you’re looking at this in a way that seems incompatible with either of these extreme views - a good sign in my book :)
What I'm proposing is an objective absolute. For example, you can't doubt reason as being infallible (this is an objective absolute). I acknowledge our use of reason is at times wrong, but reason itself is infallible, it would be paradoxical otherwise.

Similarly, if Existence was anything other than infinite, it'd amount to paradoxes. Whereas Existence being infinite, generates no paradoxes. This I also believe is an objective absolute.
SimpleGuy

Post by SimpleGuy »

Without existence we couldn't even define a proper set theory , at least one , that just uses classes instead of sets. In the sense of the Neumann–Bernays–Gödel set theory or the Zermelo Fraenkel set theory. The axiom of choice would be touched, with severe consequences for logic inference.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

Phil -
I mean all that exists. Reason makes a clear distinction between things that are a part of Existence and Existence itself. Our universe is finite, so it can't be Existence, it has to be a part of Existence.
Does “reason” do this? How so? What distinction are you referring to?

“Our universe” meaning the universe aka that which is neither proven to be finite nor infinite (yet generally assumed to be infinite by rational physicists for the most part.)

You seem to be conflating “existence” with how “universe” is used. The Universe is generally a term that encompasses all existence - and we don’t know if it is “infinite” truly because “infinite” in mathematical terms (which you seem to be trying to use here) is not something in existence any more than the number one is existent.

There is a lot of confusion on my side of this trying to delineate between your epistemic and ontological propositons here.

The “Our universe is finite” can only refer to the human experience of the universe (we are certainly limited beings.) If it doesn’t mean that you’ll have to be more careful with your use of terms to get any further with me because what follows is the claim of “Our universe” not being Existence but only part of it.

By defintion The Universe in physics is a term used to describe EVERYTHING. You’re not using it like that here so I assume you mean “human experience of The Universe” because our reach has limits. If not ... ?

Then we have this as a continued problem:
What I'm proposing is an objective absolute. For example, you can't doubt reason as being infallible (this is an objective absolute). I acknowledge our use of reason is at times wrong, but reason itself is infallible, it would be paradoxical otherwise.

Similarly, if Existence was anything other than infinite, it'd amount to paradoxes. Whereas Existence being infinite, generates no paradoxes. This I also believe is an objective absolute.
The “absolute objective” woudl be Kantian noumenon in the negative sense, yet your example doesn’t make much sense to me so I’m at a loss again. Reason is “infallible” is one helluva bold claim. I will openly admit that Logic gives truth value but only within strictly defined parameters. Eg. (1+1=2 is not up for despute if we’re agreeing upon the use rules of basic arithmetic). Paradoxes are a basic principle of logical proofs. One of thr oldest questions is about how logic can be applied to experience given that no proposition is without doubt.

The rest is meaningless to me because if I translate into a common language you’re saying The Universe is infinite; which we’e never able to prove.

Understand as quickly as possible that I don’t distinguish between “Existence” and “The Universe”. If you can actually outline how these terms are to be viewed differently from my perspective then we may be able to move forward. If not this discussion will likely grind to a halt right here.
AKA badgerjelly
philosopher19

Post by philosopher19 »

Burning ghost wrote: October 3rd, 2018, 12:44 pm Understand as quickly as possible that I don’t distinguish between “Existence” and “The Universe”. If you can actually outline how these terms are to be viewed differently from my perspective then we may be able to move forward. If not this discussion will likely grind to a halt right here.
Alright, let's clarify this key issue first and then see if can we progress from there.

The reason I say there needs to be a distinction between Existence and the universe is that our observations suggest that the universe is supposedly expanding is it not? If the universe is expanding, then what's it expanding into? Your answer will help me better understand your position.
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

It’s not “expanding into” anything. The Universe is everything and the “expansion” is merely a convenient way of explaining a mathematical abstract principle in common parse.

I imagine you’re thinking along these lines?: http://digg.com/video/what-is-the-unive ... nding-into
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream