Heuristics and Human Creativity

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Syamsu

Re: Heuristics and Human Creativity

Post by Syamsu »

Eduk wrote: October 16th, 2018, 5:23 am Syamsu. Materialism doesn't refute choice or free will. Please stop posting like it does.
Consciousness is not understood. Therefore it is not understood.
It's a matter of logic that agency of a choice can only be identified with a choice. That is what disqualifies agency as being material.
Eduk
Favorite Philosopher: Socrates

Post by Eduk »

It's a matter of logic that agency of a choice can only be identified with a choice. That is what disqualifies agency as being material.
You have to understand this is your personal interpretation.
Unknown means unknown.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Syamsu wrote: October 16th, 2018, 5:10 am Yes you have the option available to say that Gaugin is ugly, and generally would be aware of this option, regardless that you choose the opinion it is beautiful. You just have to explain taste in terms of free will, and not in terms of mechanical force.
I haven't takeo on any metaphysica position. I just don't find I have the option with many aesthetic choices. There might be a little wiggle room. I can try to find reasons to like something. I can read critique of it and then this sometimes changes my reaction. So, I can choose to experience things that now lead me to have a new aesthetic reactions. But this only is available. And it is not a choice to react differently, it is a choice to have experiences such that the painting elicits a new reaction.
No you don't only experience the beauty after you chose the opinion it is beautiful, the experience of the beauty is in the agency of the choice to say it is beautiful.
Still not clear. Here it sould like you are saying the choice is about whehter to assert it is beautiful, an interpersonal choice. But I doubt that's what you mean.
Validation is only about that it works without logic error.

Essentially this is about how agency of a choice can be identified. Logic demands that agency of a choice can only he identified with a choice. If B is chosen over A, then the question what made the choice turn out B, can only be answered with a choice between X and Y, where either X or Y is equally valid.
Though finding something beautiful is not a choice between to objects. I can find ten in a row ugly. And speaking of ugly, there are some art works I simply cannot choose to find beautiful, and vice versa.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

I don't think so. It is crystal clear materialism validates fact, the existence of material things is a fact. Opinion is not validated in materialism.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

Karpel Tunnel wrote: October 16th, 2018, 7:14 am
Syamsu wrote: October 16th, 2018, 5:10 am Yes you have the option available to say that Gaugin is ugly, and generally would be aware of this option, regardless that you choose the opinion it is beautiful. You just have to explain taste in terms of free will, and not in terms of mechanical force.
I haven't takeo on any metaphysica position. I just don't find I have the option with many aesthetic choices. There might be a little wiggle room. I can try to find reasons to like something. I can read critique of it and then this sometimes changes my reaction. So, I can choose to experience things that now lead me to have a new aesthetic reactions. But this only is available. And it is not a choice to react differently, it is a choice to have experiences such that the painting elicits a new reaction.
No you don't only experience the beauty after you chose the opinion it is beautiful, the experience of the beauty is in the agency of the choice to say it is beautiful.
Still not clear. Here it sould like you are saying the choice is about whehter to assert it is beautiful, an interpersonal choice. But I doubt that's what you mean.
Validation is only about that it works without logic error.

Essentially this is about how agency of a choice can be identified. Logic demands that agency of a choice can only he identified with a choice. If B is chosen over A, then the question what made the choice turn out B, can only be answered with a choice between X and Y, where either X or Y is equally valid.
Though finding something beautiful is not a choice between to objects. I can find ten in a row ugly. And speaking of ugly, there are some art works I simply cannot choose to find beautiful, and vice versa.
You are just confusing choosing the word beautiful, with choosing to love the way the painting looks, it's a strawman.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Syamsu wrote: October 16th, 2018, 7:23 am You are just confusing choosing the word beautiful, with choosing to love the way the painting looks, it's a strawman.
I may be doing that. I am trying to understand your position.
If I see the painting, can I choose whether I have a positive or negative aesthetic reaction?
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

If you are simply saying I get to choose which word I apply to my reaction, I am not sure the importance of this, nor how creationism validates this.

How would it not be validated if, say, the universe always existed, perhaps in some pantheist or panentheist form`?
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

Yes, making an opinion is just choosing a word. A word which expresses what it is that makes a choice.

Logic requires that the answer to a question about what it is that makes a choice, can only be answered with a choice.

That a word is chosen does not mean words are the only thing chosen. In creationism there are two categories creator and creation, and anything must fit in either category, or it is inconsistent with creationism. Since one can model the universe, therefore the existence of the universe is a fact, therefore the universe must be a creation and not a creator.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Syamsu wrote: October 17th, 2018, 6:44 am Yes, making an opinion is just choosing a word. A word which expresses what it is that makes a choice.
So, it is in the word choice, not in the general reaction one has. One does not choose the batch of emotions and sensations that one indicates on feels by using the word 'beautiful', it is the choice amongst the various related terms for that batch of emotions and sensations. Or?
Logic requires that the answer to a question about what it is that makes a choice, can only be answered with a choice.
If it is to be accurate? I am not sure what this means. Could you give a concrete example - I realize that the beautiful issue may have been that, but perhaps even more specific.
That a word is chosen does not mean words are the only thing chosen.
What else is chosen when in that first seeing a specific Gaughin, I say outloud to my brother who is with me in the museum 'that is beautiful'?
In creationism there are two categories creator and creation, and anything must fit in either category, or it is inconsistent with creationism.
Must fit in one of them or at least one of them or both?
Since one can model the universe, therefore the existence of the universe is a fact, therefore the universe must be a creation and not a creator.
If this sentence is an entire argument I don't think it is a complete argument. One can model things that do not exist. A map of Middle Earth. The anatomy of an alien creature as part of a sci-fi movie preproduction process.

And here again, if this seems like a straw man argument, I am not trying to disprove what you are saying, but rather showing you how what you are saying comes across, so that you can either correct what I am not understanding or then perhaps confirm that I am correct about what you are saying but disagree with my argument. I find your way of presenting ideas as seeming to make leaps, sometimes use language in ways I am not sure is the conventional use of the words and seeming sometimes to be making statements that might not connect with the points I am raising. But I am not sure. I like different approaches and I am interested in the idea that creationism - that is that there is a creator - is somehow deducible, but not in the usual theist approaches to this. But I am, at the same time, finding it very hard to follow. So please treat my posts not as aggressive or dismissive but as me triangulating.
Syamsu

Post by Syamsu »

A fact is obtained by evidence forcing to produce a 1 to 1 corresponding model of a creation.
An opinion is formed by choice, and expresses what it is that makes a choice.
Choice is the mechanism of creation, defined as making an alternative future the present.

Accuracy applies to facts not to opinions. President Trump is a nice person. This opinion is valid if it is chosen. Meaning the opinion is invalid if it is forced, including if the opinion is forced by evidence, forced by taste, forced by ideology, forced by upbringing, forced by chemistry in the brain, or forced in any other way whatsoever. One must have the options available nice, and bad, and choose one of them, in spontaneous expression of emotion with free will.

A model of some non existent alien creature, whatever. One can make a 1 to 1 corresponding model of the model, therefore the existence of the model is a fact. Things in imagination, you can also make a 1 to 1 corresponding model of them, therefore the existence of them as being fantasies is a fact, therefore they are creations and not creators.

You could devise words which have both subjective and objective parts to them in the definition. So what.
Karpel Tunnel

Post by Karpel Tunnel »

Syamsu wrote: October 17th, 2018, 9:16 am A fact is obtained by evidence forcing to produce a 1 to 1 corresponding model of a creation.
An opinion is formed by choice, and expresses what it is that makes a choice.
Choice is the mechanism of creation, defined as making an alternative future the present.

Accuracy applies to facts not to opinions. President Trump is a nice person. This opinion is valid if it is chosen. Meaning the opinion is invalid if it is forced, including if the opinion is forced by evidence, forced by taste, forced by ideology, forced by upbringing, forced by chemistry in the brain, or forced in any other way whatsoever. One must have the options available nice, and bad, and choose one of them, in spontaneous expression of emotion with free will.

A model of some non existent alien creature, whatever. One can make a 1 to 1 corresponding model of the model, therefore the existence of the model is a fact. Things in imagination, you can also make a 1 to 1 corresponding model of them, therefore the existence of them as being fantasies is a fact, therefore they are creations and not creators.

You could devise words which have both subjective and objective parts to them in the definition. So what.
A process note: if you don't quote specific points I made, but rather respond in bulk, it leads to a much less clear discussion. I don't know which parts of what you wrote above are responses to which, if any, specific questions I asked or points I raised. You have repeated your position, but not in any way interacted with my ideas. I have no idea if you have understood what I meant, which points you think you are responding to in a given part of your post, and to respond I must pretty begin again. There are people who respond this way and obvously you are free to, but to me it is a waste of time. I could just as well gone back and read some early post where you formulate your position. Consider that this way of responding comes off as evasive and not able to directly respond to the points I've made or answer the questions I've asked. It is easy to simply restate one's position. It saves one actually interacting with a different mind. I'll leave you to others more patient with this style of responding or 'responding'
pumpkinalex
New Trial Member

Post by pumpkinalex »

What kind of fallacy is this?
All A’s are B – Some A’s are C – Some A’s are C
the conclusion just repeats the second premise
Burning ghost

Post by Burning ghost »

pumpkinalex wrote: October 25th, 2018, 11:42 pm What kind of fallacy is this?
All A’s are B – Some A’s are C – Some A’s are C
the conclusion just repeats the second premise
From what I can gather it is an issue with semantics. Syamsu says one things and to our ears it doesn’t mean to us what it means to him. When dealing with time it’s a tricky business.
AKA badgerjelly

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream