Do you consider yourself a philosopher?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.

Re: Do you consider yourself a philosopher?

Post Number:#316  Postby Big Boss » January 15th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Hi all,

No, I wouldn't consider myself a philosopher. I can see that based on a read through of the forum there is different interpretations of what a philosopher is and what you need to do to be one. For me, I am more of the understanding that a philosopher is someone who is educated in logic, reason, the thoughts and processes of those that came beforehand, etc. I suppose my distinction is that just by philosophising somewhat, this doesn't make you a philosopher in the same way that adding a few numbers together doesn't make you a mathematician. I think perhaps my distinction lies in the fact that I am studying philosophy in an academic environment. That said, I have probably learned more than twice as much about the subject through my own self-made study. I suppose that while I think that philosophy is a discipline, it doesn't require university education to be a philosopher.

Now, with that idea about philosophy why don't I give myself the title? Simply put, I consider myself a student of philosophy. I don't feel I have the philosophical knowhow to be able to think or write anything of great substance. I don't think I am particularly bright, but I am working to actually obtain my, admittedly poor defined, philosophical goals. For me, I take inspiration from Socrates' wisdom through ignorance attitude. Albeit, I don't think that I have quite the same outlook as Socrates does on the subject. I am less about questioning of others (although I do this) and more about listening to the authority of philosophical authorities with an open mind and allowing myself to try and breakdown their ideas logically.

So to summarise, as I said earlier, I consider myself a student of philosophy.

Apologies if this message constitutes a rambling mess, I am writing this in a rush on my lunch break at work.
Big Boss
New Trial Member

Become a member for less ads

Already a member? Login

Post Number:#317  Postby Fooloso4 » January 28th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Big Boss:

I am less about questioning of others (although I do this) and more about listening to the authority of philosophical authorities with an open mind and allowing myself to try and breakdown their ideas logically.

There is an interpretive approach that questions the texts of the philosophical authorities. It is in some ways the opposite of what Socrates did since he always questioned those who were his philosophical inferiors. Here, however, we learn to question those who are our philosophical superiors. The goal is not, as it often is within academic philosophy, to expose the weaknesses of the text, but rather to begin to look at them more carefully in order to see what the author’s expect us to work at, to think along with them, in order to see. Analysis or breaking down their ideas must go hand in hand with synthesis or putting things back together, that is, making connections that are not readily apparent but when done properly tie together the parts and reveal a whole.

I agree with your idea of being a student of philosophy (#168)
Fooloso4

Post Number:#318  Postby Fire_Monkey » March 31st, 2017, 8:24 pm

I personally, in my in mind, do. Though I would never call myself one to somebody else. Or list it as an occupation. I hesitate even to list it as a hobby here in my bio! And wouldn't list it as an interest or hobby in a bio outside of here. Why? Sounds too arrogant, imho. Too presumptuous. And I would really need somebody to explain what they mean by...Being a philospher. It's like when I'm asked if I believe in God. My immediate response is.......Define God.

This said, I minored in Philosophy as an undergrad. And am obviously keenly interested in the subject. Which brings me to close this with.....It's good to be here. :P
Fire_Monkey
New Trial Member

Post Number:#319  Postby Fire_Monkey » April 1st, 2017, 7:15 pm

I personally in my own thought think I'm somewhat of a philospher. As I've always been interested in it and even minored in the subject in undergrad school. And, well, I'm here, right? And read about it all the time. But I wouldn't ever presume to refer to myself as one to someone else. I dunno, just sounds to arrogant to me. Too presumptuous, maybe? And...I'd have to ask them what they mean by Philospher, if they asked me if I thought I was one. Just as, whenever somebody asks me if I believe in God. First question from me is.....Define God.
Fire_Monkey
New Trial Member

Post Number:#320  Postby Jay-P » April 22nd, 2017, 3:38 pm

I don't consider myself a grand philosopher in the same league as the greats. However, I'd say I'm an unorganised philosopher whose ponderings aren't structured. I do slip into deep daydreams during my waking moments and they do consist of me analysing something. I'm just unorganised with my thoughts and conclusions. As for the other section of the question, I believe that a philosopher is anyone who questions and generates creative theories or conclusions, children have this ability especially.
Jay-P
New Trial Member

Post Number:#321  Postby Hermes_Trismegistus » August 17th, 2017, 8:55 am

Let me respond with a syllogism.

All persons who love wisdom are philosophers.
I love wisdom.
Therefore I am a philosopher.
Hermes_Trismegistus
New Trial Member

Previous

Return to General Philosophy